Dragon's Dogma 2 Catch-All

TheGameguru wrote:

The portkeys are reusable. You can place them down and then port back to them and pick them back up… handy if you know you are making a long trip somewhere and think you will probably want to just zip back. You can ferry stone and then pick up the port key. Downside is they weigh 2kgs each.

I’m finding ferry stones are usually dropping for me at least once per long trip (provided I kill a few big mobs that have a ~9% drop rate)

Are port keys different than port crystals? I'm 50 hours in and only have two permanent (?) crystals in the Vermund and Harve towns and haven't seen any others or any portable ones. I must be missing something obvious.

detroit20 wrote:

My next big choice is where to stick my first and only Port Crystal. At the moment, I'm leaning towards Bakbattahl because of the distance and the danger of the road there. I won't feel truly at ease traversing it for at least a handful more levels.

There are a few port crystals you can find in the Vermund section of the map. I think I got two from exploring, one from Capt Brant's quests, and one from a Sphinx quest.

Spoiler:

When she asks for the item you treasure most, she doesn't keep whatever you give her and the reward chest contains a duplicate of the item, so I gave her one port crystal and got two back.

You can also make copies of port crystals at the forger in Checkpoint Town, but they're expensive to make, so I've not personally tried it to make sure if they're functional or not.

93_confirmed wrote:

Are port keys different than port crystals? I'm 50 hours in and only have two permanent (?) crystals in the Vermund and Harve towns and haven't seen any others or any portable ones. I must be missing something obvious.

No, they're called Port Crystals... but we're talking about the same thing.

If you've played 50 hours without obtaining one, then you haven't been following the main quests. I'm guessing you've been really enjoying exploring and monster-hunting.

I suggest though that you switch to the main quest, because - as Stengah says - by doing so you'll obtain a Port Crystal fairly early on. Also, I think that by advancing the main quest, you'll also trigger more side quests which will also take you around the map more. I think there's a lot of content locked behind progress with the main quest.

FWIW, I'm going to bang through a couple of quests in Battahl, and then head back to Veremund to do what you're doing: to explore every highway and byway, nook and cranny for a few hours (not least because I'm feeling big and brave with my new Battahli gear!!)

93_confirmed wrote:
TheGameguru wrote:

The portkeys are reusable. You can place them down and then port back to them and pick them back up… handy if you know you are making a long trip somewhere and think you will probably want to just zip back. You can ferry stone and then pick up the port key. Downside is they weigh 2kgs each.

I’m finding ferry stones are usually dropping for me at least once per long trip (provided I kill a few big mobs that have a ~9% drop rate)

Are port keys different than port crystals? I'm 50 hours in and only have two permanent (?) crystals in the Vermund and Harve towns and haven't seen any others or any portable ones. I must be missing something obvious.

Those two are the only permanent ones I've come across, but I haven't explored everywhere yet. I have found 4 portable ones through quests or exploring so far, And used the method in my spoiler above to get a 5th.

You want money? Sell fruit. Ripe fruit you collect in Vermund goes for quite a bit in Bartahl and vice versa.

Some interesting and diverse opinions

Grenn wrote:

You want money? Sell fruit. Ripe fruit you collect in Vermund goes for quite a bit in Bartahl and vice versa.

Yes, I saw some advice on line about this. There are a number of items that have significant price differentials from one area to the next. Jasper (and, as you say, ripe fruit) are considerably more valuable in Battahl. I shall be playing greengrocer during my next session in Vermund!

detroit20 wrote:
93_confirmed wrote:

Are port keys different than port crystals? I'm 50 hours in and only have two permanent (?) crystals in the Vermund and Harve towns and haven't seen any others or any portable ones. I must be missing something obvious.

No, they're called Port Crystals... but we're talking about the same thing.

If you've played 50 hours without obtaining one, then you haven't been following the main quests. I'm guessing you've been really enjoying exploring and monster-hunting.

I suggest though that you switch to the main quest, because - as Stengah says - by doing so you'll obtain a Port Crystal fairly early on. Also, I think that by advancing the main quest, you'll also trigger more side quests which will also take you around the map more. I think there's a lot of content locked behind progress with the main quest.

FWIW, I'm going to bang through a couple of quests in Battahl, and then head back to Veremund to do what you're doing: to explore every highway and byway, nook and cranny for a few hours (not least because I'm feeling big and brave with my new Battahli gear!!)

Thanks for all of that and yes, I have a few main quests on the list but decided to hold off and explore. I do all of my traveling on foot and as far as I can tell I've touched every part of the map except maybe some caves and buildings.

I think it's time to step away for a little while but I'll come back to put a few dozen hours more in. I started dabbling in Lies of P and is pulling me in.

anyone have issues with vanishing escort npc’s? Glyndwr was waiting outside the house in Vernworth and asked me to take him near the Ancient Battlefield, except he just straight up disappeared along with the waypoint when we were like 90% of the way there. When I accepted to escort him it created a waypoint at the destination but not a quest entry for it, so I don’t know whether the mission was bugged or if this is just another delightful quirk of the game we have to deal with.

I've had them fail before, which gives an on screen notification, but not just dissapear entirely. One time I went into the castle area and i think the no-pawns allowed code caused my escortee to stop following too, which immediately failed the quest. The other time the npc got stuck on some rocks and I didn't notice, so I got too far away from them which failed the quest. If you were near water it's possible they fell in and the Brine got them, you typically get zero notice whe the Brine gets someone, even your own pawn. Most NPCs respawn after 7 game days when they die. Some of the quest-related npcs require you to use a wakestone on them, though.

Spoiler:

Remember that if you ever have to deal with dragonsplauge, you won't have to manually revive everyone who got killed, just wait a week and then see who actually needs to be manually revived. Also, the final reward from the Sphinx is an "eternal" wakestone that will revive everyone in the area at once. It's not eternal at all, though, it just revives everyone at once rather than being one wakestone per person. In DD1 the eternal riftstone was actually eternal in that it never got used up.

there was no notification whatsoever and it was actually a pretty uneventful trip, but he just suddenly wasn’t there on the last hike up the road leading to the waypoint, no water or cliffs nearby to fall into or off from.

ruhk wrote:

there was no notification whatsoever and it was actually a pretty uneventful trip, but he just suddenly wasn’t there on the last hike up the road leading to the waypoint, no water or cliffs nearby to fall into or off from.

Maybe the got eaten by a grue.

farley3k wrote:

Dragon's Dogma 2 - You Are Playing It WRONG!! - Fextralife so it is worth watching.

Just re-upping this from the previous page because it helped me get out of a bit of a rut -- I was bogged down doing city quests, when what I needed was to take to the countryside and just go explore some stuff.

What is the deal with the Rangers tights? They are weird looking, but they are by far the best option for me at this point however, my male Ranger looks like he should be in a burlesque show.

farley3k wrote:

What is the deal with the Rangers tights? They are weird looking, but they are by far the best option for me at this point however, my male Ranger looks like he should be in a burlesque show.

I was starting to think it was just me. Glad to see someone else noticed the oddness. I think it has to do with the fact that a lot of torso armor extends to mid-thigh.

JC wrote:
farley3k wrote:

What is the deal with the Rangers tights? They are weird looking, but they are by far the best option for me at this point however, my male Ranger looks like he should be in a burlesque show.

I was starting to think it was just me. Glad to see someone else noticed the oddness. I think it has to do with the fact that a lot of torso armor extends to mid-thigh.

I played a solid chunk of the game in a short crop top and a bikini. It was the best armor for the greatsword class. Changed the tone for a lot of the cutscenes. Annoyingly it looked better on my pawn beastman too.

farley3k wrote:

What is the deal with the Rangers tights? They are weird looking, but they are by far the best option for me at this point however, my male Ranger looks like he should be in a burlesque show.

Haha I am rocking them too right now, because somehow they provide more protection than full-leg, steel-lined combat breeches.

Do Pawns use curatives if I give them some?

They do. And they will either use it on themselves or on you, depending on their proclivity.

JC wrote:

They do. And they will either use it on themselves or on you, depending on their proclivity.

Does this happen automatically? At the beginning of my playthrough none of the pawns in my party were using them and at some point I came across this item.

Chirurgeon Specialization

When I used it in my inventory it said something about pawns now having the ability to use curatives. I'm still not sure I've ever seen one use a curative so no idea whether this is working correctly.

I've had them use healing items on themselves without that specialization. Only on themselves though and when really low. And I manually had to give them healing items.

master0 wrote:

I've had them use healing items on themselves without that specialization. Only on themselves though and when really low. And I manually had to give them healing items.

Okay so they can use the curatives on themselves right from the beginning and this specialization allows them to use curatives on other pawns.

Dragon's Dogma 2 - Do THIS to Have MORE FUN! Fextralife
*another good tip video

Anyone else have a lot of freezes? Specifically when changing vocations/skills at the inns? I guess I'm not alone. People think it has something to do with the videos.

None on ps5

Can't say I've experienced any freezes on my end. Edit- on PC

None for me on XBX.

I have had two freezes on PC. One was when trying to set up a campsite, the other when going to learn/set skills. I could get to task manager to kill the game both times, though. They were both in the first few days after it came out, I haven't had one since I stopped trying to leave a different game running in the background in minimized mode.

I've experienced one freeze/crash on the PS5. That was two days ago.

That aside, one of the things I'm really enjoying is the way the developers stress the player by regularly interrupting them with new quests. I've begun to slightly dread walking around Vermund, lest another stranger accost me and ask me to do a quest for them. I'm always worried that it'll be a timed quest on the other side of the map... that leads to yet another quest, and takes me further off my chosen path.

I wish more games would do this. It really does make the game world feel alive.