Dragon's Dogma 2 Catch-All

It's telling when that many mods are needed for simple QoL improvements. I don't understand how this stuff didn't get noticed during development/QA at an experienced developer like Capcom. I'm enjoying the game overall but some of the design is just mind boggling.

master0 wrote:
farley3k wrote:

I know it seems against the design philosophy, but they could have done so many small things to make quality of life better
Most notably when running, simply make it so you don't deplete stamina if your weapons put away
I get the idea of losing your stamina. It makes sense, but if there's no monsters around them, simply running from point a to point b. Let me not lose stamina.
It happens when you're in town. You can run all over the place but as soon as you got out of town it depletes. That is silly. It would be a simple way to improve the quality of life for players

There is an unlimited stamina out of combat mod. if it helps:

Link

But yeah there's lot of small tweaks in the game that could be better. In some ways it definitely feels like it was rushed and polished was lacking. Even if you ignore the performance problems.

I think a lot of the things people might see as "lack of polish" in DD2 were actually deliberate choices, just ones that run counter to typical gamer expectations. Especially things like not having unlimited sprint (even if just out of combat). Much in the same vein as how fast travel is included but very limited due to a deliberate design decision, I think the limited sprinting is meant to force people to slowly explore rather than rushing from point A to point B fast as they can.

93_confirmed wrote:

It's telling when that many mods are needed for simple QoL improvements. I don't understand how this stuff didn't get noticed during development/QA at an experienced developer like Capcom. I'm enjoying the game overall but some of the design is just mind boggling.

I'd wager it was all noticed and all entirely intentional. Some things may still be tweaked down the road, as we've seen with the latest patch, but these systems & elements were designed with that friction in mind.

TheMostRad wrote:
93_confirmed wrote:

It's telling when that many mods are needed for simple QoL improvements. I don't understand how this stuff didn't get noticed during development/QA at an experienced developer like Capcom. I'm enjoying the game overall but some of the design is just mind boggling.

I'd wager it was all noticed and all entirely intentional. Some things may still be tweaked down the road, as we've seen with the latest patch, but these systems & elements were designed with that friction in mind.

I agree with this basically. Some stuff like the stamina and exploration are clearly driven by a design choices. Other points, like the UI, seem more like a lack of polish. Honestly the most rushed part of the game seems like the story. Which is odd seeing how its almost a straight carbon copy of the original.

I really hope they do get a chance for a proper expansion and/or dlc. With a small hope they might experiment on some new ideas. Instead of just doing a one to one copy of bitterblack island.

Stengah wrote:
master0 wrote:
farley3k wrote:

I know it seems against the design philosophy, but they could have done so many small things to make quality of life better
Most notably when running, simply make it so you don't deplete stamina if your weapons put away
I get the idea of losing your stamina. It makes sense, but if there's no monsters around them, simply running from point a to point b. Let me not lose stamina.
It happens when you're in town. You can run all over the place but as soon as you got out of town it depletes. That is silly. It would be a simple way to improve the quality of life for players

There is an unlimited stamina out of combat mod. if it helps:

Link

But yeah there's lot of small tweaks in the game that could be better. In some ways it definitely feels like it was rushed and polished was lacking. Even if you ignore the performance problems.

I think a lot of the things people might see as "lack of polish" in DD2 were actually deliberate choices, just ones that run counter to typical gamer expectations. Especially things like not having unlimited sprint (even if just out of combat). Much in the same vein as how fast travel is included but very limited due to a deliberate design decision, I think the limited sprinting is meant to force people to slowly explore rather than rushing from point A to point B fast as they can.

Yes. Poke around message board posts from when the first game released and you see all the same complaints. Pretty sure I remember them here. They know.

Stengah wrote:

Much in the same vein as how fast travel is included but very limited due to a deliberate design decision, I think the limited sprinting is meant to force people to slowly explore rather than rushing from point A to point B fast as they can.

Sure, if there was more to discover. Seems like the only thing that exploration finds (look master!) are goblins, chests, ladders, more goblins, and angry griffons.

I'd wager money that if they are collecting data on the back end, everyone is running while in the wilderness.

Another QOL mod. Actually gives you the numbers for items/equipment/etc

Clear effect descriptions

Don't forget seekers tokens. But yes, more monsters (sometimes rare ones), chests, and shortcuts are the things they consider rewards for your exploration. I'd probably say though that the main thing they consider a reward for exploration are some of the views, given how often the pawns comment on how amazing they are when you get to certain spots and the notes near all the statues talking about taking time to just look at what you can see from there. So again, I think it's a deliberate design choice, not something they overlooked or did because they were too lazy to put in better rewards.

I'm sure everyone is running in the wilderness. I know I sure do (mostly after I've already explored the area), but the same way they want fast travel via ox cart to have drawbacks, they want sprinting everywhere to have its own drawbacks.

I would love if we were to every get a third game for it to have some proper dungeons and maybe even with puzzles. The caves are a definite improvement over the original. And I like the idea of the dynamic quests that can happen when you explore. Even if it is a bit half baked.

Lack of fast travel wouldn’t be so bad if some of the quests didn’t have you run back and forth so much. As it is I use the ox cart as much as possible but even that’s not perfect as it can get raided and sometimes destroyed.

Without mentioning anything spoilery, I've been exploring every corner and seemingly dead end on the map and finding alot of interesting areas. It's not as epic or rewarding as a game like Elden Ring but I'm really enjoying the sense of adventure when not being wrapped up in quests or the ridiculous story. There's alot packed in here.

Spoiler:

This game has moments though. Doing a side quest and someone mentions how it would be easier to sketch a Griffon for a statue if the Griffin was petrified. Remembering the Gorgon from the intro I sat on that quest until I stumbled onto a Gorgon I figured we had a Greek Mythology moment coming up and sure enough I was able to detach head from said Gorgon. Couldn’t quite figure out what to do until I clicked it and saw equip as an option. A few minutes later I had a perfect stone Griffon for my buddy to sketch at his leisure. But it’s not as OP as I thought going forward. The head eventually ran out of batteries.

Dragon's Dogma 2 - You Are Playing It WRONG!! - Fextralife so it is worth watching.

I unlocked a new class last night right before bed and managed to convince myself to go to bed rather than switch and spend all night playing it.

Spoiler:

Magick Archer!

I'm level 40 and I'm sure I'm overleveled for what I'm doing. I spent a long time in the first continent just adventuring. I then wanted to explore further but couldn't find a way south until I ran through a bunch of missions in the city. I found the main story missions to be boring and rushed through them as fast as I could. Now I'm wandering new countryside and that's definitely the best part of this game.

I wanted to see how far I could go before porting back and ended up passing through where the game starts, I thought that was cool. I thought I had a ton of money based on what I could purchase in the northern continent but WOW is equipment expensive in this new area!

early game quest question

Spoiler:

When you first get to Vernworth there is a storyteller at the fountain in front of the rift stone. Someone near him says something to the effect of keep an eye on him.
I have stood there for a long time and he doesn't move,
I have went to the nearest bench and waited until night and he is gone but I can't find him.
So how am I supposed to follow him?

farley3k wrote:

early game quest question

Spoiler:

When you first get to Vernworth there is a storyteller at the fountain in front of the rift stone. Someone near him says something to the effect of keep an eye on him.
I have stood there for a long time and he doesn't move,
I have went to the nearest bench and waited until night and he is gone but I can't find him.
So how am I supposed to follow him?

He wandered off for me but I cannot remember if I did anything to cause it.

One place to look.

Spoiler:

Check the bar in the slums

It takes a good deal of time watching him for him to move. I never sat through it, but I coincidentally ran into him at the other place spoilered above. THAT was also a long wait, but I stuck with it and enjoyed where it went from there.

I think it is a rough start for early game which is causing a lot of issues. The combat is fun, the exploration promises lots of secrets, but the story start is basic and the lack of fast travel makes it feel like a grind at some points. I travel all the way around a blocked passage to find a hidden village and they are selling a weapon I want but need 10,000 more gold for. I know I can get the gold, but I have no idea how to get a port stone so when I do get the money I will need to slog back there just for one item.

I am sure this evens out once you play long enough, but the sin of wasting time is a tough sell since I have four or five other games I could be playing. I doubt I could sell this to my friends as it really feels like a "it gets good in season 3 type game". I am thinking this might be the most divisive game this year that will end up on my top 10 list.

Stealthpizza wrote:

I travel all the way around a blocked passage to find a hidden village and they are selling a weapon I want but need 10,000 more gold for. I know I can get the gold, but I have no idea how to get a port stone so when I do get the money I will need to slog back there just for one item.

I found this part quick because I had wandered around forever gaining levels and money so all purchases were trivial for a bunch of the places the story sent me. It has caught up to me though and now I'm getting the same issue at level 40 - the items I want are so expensive!

If it helps I think the passage way gets cleared after you find the hidden village. Making getting there slightly easier. I wouldn't worry about the items. You'll find better and even more expensive stuff in other shops later. And sometimes older shops get updated as well.

The portkeys are reusable. You can place them down and then port back to them and pick them back up… handy if you know you are making a long trip somewhere and think you will probably want to just zip back. You can ferry stone and then pick up the port key. Downside is they weigh 2kgs each.

I’m finding ferry stones are usually dropping for me at least once per long trip (provided I kill a few big mobs that have a ~9% drop rate)

TheHarpoMarxist wrote:

It takes a good deal of time watching him for him to move. I never sat through it, but I coincidentally ran into him at the other place spoilered above. THAT was also a long wait, but I stuck with it and enjoyed where it went from there.

I did sit and wait for him and just played on my phone until something happened, he stays there until the sun starts to go down, then goes to the second location until after dark where he stays for another 5-10 mins before going to the third location.

Stealthpizza wrote:

I am sure this evens out once you play long enough, but the sin of wasting time is a tough sell since I have four or five other games I could be playing. I doubt I could sell this to my friends as it really feels like a "it gets good in season 3 type game". I am thinking this might be the most divisive game this year that will end up on my top 10 list.

DD1 was the same way, so it's been kinda wild seeing so many people surprised that DD2 is as well. I bounced off DD1 two different times before it finally clicked for me, but once it did, I really appreciated it for what it is.

I just crossed the border into the other area. According to the PS5 trophy list, 38.1% of players have done that so far.

I just realised that different blacksmiths enhance different stats on weapons and armour. Worth shopping around if you want to focus your enhancements in a particular direction

They may enhance in different directions, but at the end of the day, they're masterworks all, you can't go wrong.

Excellent reference aside, you can go wrong indeed.

The Vermund version is balanced between strength/magic and defense/magic defense. It also reduces weight.

The Elven version focuses on magic and magic defense, and less so on strength and defense. It also reduces weight.

The Bhatali version focuses in strength and defense, less so on magic and magic defense. It increases the weight.

The Dwarven version is balanced like the Vermund version, but the increase in stats are slightly less than the Vermund version. Instead it boosts knockdown and knockdown resist. It also increases weight.

Elven is best for magic-based weapons and those that have a built-in enchantment. Bhatali is best for strength-based weapons. Vermund is good for a balance between the two, but Dwarven basically replaces it once you can access it. I typically go with the balanced approach with armor, and the weapons gets whichever works best for the class's main stat. Permanently enchanted weapons I typically go for a balanced increase since both stats will improve the damage.

"Y-you can't go wrong...", I murmur to myself as I overencumber my dagger-wielding darter, trudging along with Bhatali-smithed knives the weight of dumbbells.

(That's actually sick as heck, excited to start fiddling around with that!)

Stengah wrote:

DD1 was the same way, so it's been kinda wild seeing so many people surprised that DD2 is as well. I bounced off DD1 two different times before it finally clicked for me, but once it did, I really appreciated it for what it is.

I feel the same way. It is a deeply idiosyncratic RPG that forces the players to become comfortable with being uncomfortable (it's a bit like jiu jitsu in that way) and - as I've said upthread - to play more slowly and more attentively.

Fantasy RPG players, like me, tend to be hoarders - forever hanging on to single-use times 'just in case' and never spending their gold. But DD2 forces you not only to use your items, but also to share them with your Pawns (and even give them away as gifts to players not in your game). If you don't, then you'll probably die in your next unexpected or chaotic combat encounter.

And DD2 forces you to spend your cash. I was Level 24 before heading into Battahl, and comfortably handling most regular daytime enemies in Vermund (bar Dragons, Chimeras, and the like). But I was getting destroyed on the (staggeringly long and stressful) road to Bakbattahl, the capital city! Every regular enemy had better weapons, better stats, and better skills... and what felt like a much longer aggro distance. (My heart particularly sank when I encountered my first armoured Cyclops, as I was trying to fight a really, really angry Ogre... at night.)

So the first thing I did in Bakbattahl was spend most of my money upgrade my armour and that of my main pawn. (I'm sure I'm not the only player to sigh and feel mildly resentful at having to equip my assistant, rather than just myself. But I know that he's going to be with me for the entire game, so I have to choose whether I want to make him an asset or a liability in combat.) And I still didn't have enough money to fully equip both. I'm still missing 'hats' and my Pawn's weapon is rubbish. I still feel deeply ill-at-ease about venturing into the Battahli countryside again.

Finally, DD2 really makes you think about where you're going, how you're going to get there, and how long it will take. An in-game day takes 48 minutes, which means I'm always slightly sweaty-palmed when I strike out in an unfamiliar direction. Do I stop at this campsite, or press on in the hope of coming across a safe village before nightfall? After a rough combat encounter, do I dare stray of my intended path to explore this interesting ravine or castle, or do I stay focussed and return another day?

My next big choice is where to stick my first and only Port Crystal. At the moment, I'm leaning towards Bakbattahl because of the distance and the danger of the road there. I won't feel truly at ease traversing it for at least a handful more levels.

EDIT: Possibly the best thing about DD2 is the fact that some combat encounters are simply unwinnable, and the best decision is to run away. Some enemies just do too much damage to your party to quickly. Post Demons Souls, fantasy RPG players have gotten used to the idea that every combat encounter must be beatable at Soul Level 1, using bare fists.

There's something joyous and refreshing about combat system that rejects this and says, "Your party simply doesn't have enough Health and DPS to win here. Go away, level up and buy better gear."

TheMostRad wrote:

"Y-you can't go wrong...", I murmur to myself as I overencumber my dagger-wielding darter, trudging along with Bhatali-smithed knives the weight of dumbbells.

(That's actually sick as heck, excited to start fiddling around with that!)

I've seen those Bhatali-smithed knives and I damn well want them! But they're 45,000 gold and simply cannot afford them yet.