NFL 2022: The training camp thread

Uh-oh:

Pete Carroll on Drew Lock: "He's really sick. He's sick. I think it was this morning or something I talked to him. It [Covid] hit him pretty hard."

For those of you who haven't had to listen to Carroll's press conferences for the past decade, he is the league's worst underplayer of injuries. For him to even admit this makes me wonder if Lock will have serious complications.

Let the Geno Smith Tanking Experience commence!

So a draft full of Tua’s

Minase wrote:

Uh-oh:

Pete Carroll on Drew Lock: "He's really sick. He's sick. I think it was this morning or something I talked to him. It [Covid] hit him pretty hard."

For those of you who haven't had to listen to Carroll's press conferences for the past decade, he is the league's worst underplayer of injuries. For him to even admit this makes me wonder if Lock will have serious complications.

Lock is supposedly vaccinated too, and had COVID last year.

Of course he suffers while Cousins and Wentz and Rodgers don't suffer for their bullsh*t.

staygold wrote:

So a draft full of Tua’s

I didn't want to say it. I'm not the one who said it...

The unofficial word in Charlotte is that Baker Mayfield will start the season as QB1.

Officially, the QB competition continues. And although QB1a and QB1b both need a ton of reps to learn a new offense and/or to pull ahead in this race, neither will start in Preseason Game #2 tonight. Instead we get two quarters of PJ Walker and two quarters of Matt Corral.

Mike Tanier's response: "Matt Rhule is now buying rakes from the hardware store and tossing them around his lawn so he can step on them."

@ Pink Stripes: I'm guessing your Patriots will get the Panthers to turn the ball over, let's say, six times. I'll take the over.

You don’t trade for Baker is you think Hey Darnold! is your answer

*Legion* wrote:

They can't put Geno Smith out on the field. They just can't.

Watching him try to push the ball downfield when the situation demanded it, he had to really load up and put everything into it just for the ball to limp through the air. I thought Jimmy G had some limitations with downfield throws, but Geno's looked like they were pushing walkers.

The fact that Drew Lock hasn't completely run away with the job, and in fact was QB2 even before catching COVID, doesn't say anything good about what he must look like.

I'm truly mind-boggled that they haven't called up San Francisco like, "we don't like you, you don't like us, hand over Jimmy and keep $8m of his salary, and you can have this 4th round pick". As for the possibility of tanking, well, I'm not convinced the QBs currently expected to lead this draft class are necessarily tank-worthy. Big school guys whose arm power is already being hedged with, "well, not elite, but it's good, really!" are the guys whose shine usually takes a hit once the draft rubber meets the road.

Screw a QB, I'm all for tanking and getting Carroll and Schneider fired.

UpToIsomorphism wrote:

You don’t trade for Baker is you think Hey Darnold! is your answer

Well, sure. Yet the Panthers have been conducting this farce of a QB competition, which The Ringer just ranked as the fourth-saddest QB competition of all-time behind the 2017 Browns (#1 overall) but ahead of the 2002 Panthers (#7) and 2010 Panthers (#8).

I can't wait to see who Carolina cuts. I say it's 50-50 they get rid of Darnold.

Enix wrote:

@ Pink Stripes: I'm guessing your Patriots will get the Panthers to turn the ball over, let's say, six times. I'll take the over.

Haha, we'll see. To be quite honest, after the way these joint practices went, I'm more worried about the number of injuries and concussions than the number of turnovers.

UpToIsomorphism wrote:

You don’t trade for Baker is you think Hey Darnold! is your answer

There's just so much sadness in that one little sentence.

Enix wrote:

The unofficial word in Charlotte is that Baker Mayfield will start the season as QB1.

Officially, the QB competition continues. And although QB1a and QB1b both need a ton of reps to learn a new offense and/or to pull ahead in this race, neither will start in Preseason Game #2 tonight. Instead we get two quarters of PJ Walker and two quarters of Matt Corral.

So, I had to check the schedule, because I was going to potentially let them off for this one.

I know the 49ers aren't playing Lance (and probably very little of the 1st team in general) this week due to how tightly scheduled their games are. As Shanahan put it, they're playing 3 games in 12 days, thanks to following up a Saturday game 2 with a Thursday game 3. So they opted to give the first team playing time in games 1 and 3, and just lean on the joint practices with the Vikings for their work during the game 2 week.

Carolina... doesn't really have that excuse. Their game days are Saturday, Friday, and Friday. They're just 1 day short of a perfectly evenly paced preseason schedule.

Then again, they might be worn out from their strenuous "joint fights" schedule.

*Legion* wrote:

... because I was going to potentially let them off for this one.

There's your mistake right there. You're assuming the Panthers have a plan!

Here's an actual quote from Matt Rhule (via the team website, so it's legit) explaining why the 3rd and 4th string QBs are going to play in alternating quarters:

"It's two things; we want to see them both with the same groups, as best we can, so they both have the same set of receivers, and there's a consistency there. And then we see them with the third group, so there's some consistency there.

"Then the second part, and this was coach McAdoo's idea, and his perspective, as a backup quarterback, you have to be ready to go in the game at a moment's notice, and you have to be able to excel and play well without having much of a chance to warm up. This is our way of simulating that for them, where they have to warm up and get cooled down and go in there and be hot; that's how I see it."

I understand the first paragraph. You're evaluating everyone, and it doesn't help to play 4 QBs in the first half. I get it. But for the love of god can you explain the word salad of the second paragraph? If you want to simulate a QB having to go in with no warning, you trot Sam out there to start, have him fake a seizure in the huddle and then run one of the backups out there. Telling a guy ahead of time that he's starting kind of defeats the whole element of surprise, right?

It still doesn't explain why you're not starting the guy who still needs several hundred practice reps before Week 1.

Enix wrote:

I understand the first paragraph. You're evaluating everyone, and it doesn't help to play 4 QBs in the first half. I get it. But for the love of god can you explain the word salad of the second paragraph?

Well, it started to go wrong right around...

and this was coach McAdoo's idea
Enix wrote:

"Then the second part, and this was coach McAdoo's idea, and his perspective, as a backup quarterback, you have to be ready to go in the game at a moment's notice, and you have to be able to excel and play well without having much of a chance to warm up. This is our way of simulating that for them, where they have to warm up and get cooled down and go in there and be hot; that's how I see it."

So they're prepping the 3rd and 4th string QBs to go into a game after the 1st string QB gets injured... I guess this means Hey Darnold will be cut?

ukickmydog wrote:

So they're prepping the 3rd and 4th string QBs to go into a game after the 1st string QB gets injured... I guess this means Hey Darnold will be cut?

They don't save a single penny on Darnold's $18,858,000 by releasing him. It's fully guaranteed.

You can argue keeping him for that reason is sunk cost fallacy, but I just don't see them eating that dead money in order to keep PJ Walker on the active roster. In the end, I expect Corral will be QB3, and PJ will occupy one of the 6 veteran-eligible slots on the Panthers practice squad.

Minase wrote:

Uh-oh:

Pete Carroll on Drew Lock: "He's really sick. He's sick. I think it was this morning or something I talked to him. It [Covid] hit him pretty hard."

For those of you who haven't had to listen to Carroll's press conferences for the past decade, he is the league's worst underplayer of injuries.

Is the Seattle sports media now asking for proof of life?

I’ve been live betting a bunch of NFL Preseason games because the only legal betting service in Ontario has some absolutely laughable in game lines that are incredibly easy to exploit. (In the Dallas/Denver game in week one I got a live bet of Dallas +16.5 at +105 when the Cowboys had the ball on the 40, down 17-0, and were marching with 10 minutes to go. The odds that they didn’t get even a field goal from there seemed impossible so I put down $10 and cashed $20.50 with ease when they scored a touchdown)

All of that is to say I’ve never seen a pregame NFL preseason line like the NE-CAR line that has New England at -6.5. Favoured by almost a touchdown in a PRESEASON game. Anyway, might be able to make a bunch of cash on the live lines if the Panthers score early!

*Legion* wrote:
ukickmydog wrote:

So they're prepping the 3rd and 4th string QBs to go into a game after the 1st string QB gets injured... I guess this means Hey Darnold will be cut?

They don't save a single penny on Darnold's $18,858,000 by releasing him. It's fully guaranteed.

You can argue keeping him for that reason is sunk cost fallacy, but I just don't see them eating that dead money in order to keep PJ Walker on the active roster. In the end, I expect Corral will be QB3, and PJ will occupy one of the 6 veteran-eligible slots on the Panthers practice squad.

I spoke too soon. PJ was awful last night: 8 for 15 for 107 yards, two terrible picks and an end-zone sack-fumble that the Patriots recovered for a TD. That's not even XFL practice squad material.

The speculation is that Rhule was putting PJ out there to use him as trade bait. But, like most everything Matt Rhule touches, it turned to sh!t.

I can't fathom how anyone would expect PJ Walker, a 5'11" QB who all 32 teams declined to draft and who has thrown 2 TDs to 8 INTs since then, would have any trade value, let alone trade value after missing the would-be new team's training camp.

*Legion* wrote:

I can't fathom how anyone would expect PJ Walker, a 5'11" QB who all 32 teams declined to draft and who has thrown 2 TDs to 8 INTs since then, would have any trade value, let alone trade value after missing the would-be new team's training camp.

It would be hard for me to imagine a team willing to trade a 2nd for Sam Darnold, guarantee his $18 million fifth-year option, and then also trade for Baker Mayfield would in any way make you pause about their ability to judge the trade value of QBs.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:

trade a 2nd for Sam Darnold

A 2nd AND a 4th AND a 6th.

Even in ripping on them, you have to leave stuff out just for the sake of pith.

That's rough for him. He needs these preseason reps badly if he's going to be in the starter picture a year from now.

But good news for PJ, who just got QB3 and a roster spot back.

*Legion* wrote:

Good news for PJ, who just got QB3 and a roster spot back.

Yep.

And if you want to pile on the Panthers for mismanaging their draft assets, remember that they traded up to get Corral -- a fourth-round pick in this year's draft, and a third-round pick next year. That's a lot of draft capital with zero to show for it.

The irony, of course, is that they traded with the Patriots, who turned around and crippled Not OK Corral.

You could also argue that it was mismanagement to put Corral out there with a bunch of O-line scrubs, but then you'd have to say it's better Corral got hurt than Mayfield so I guess that's a push.

Update: Here's an example of what I mean by O-line scrubs. That's a washed-up LT, a guy I've never heard of at left guard, a rookie center who mostly played RG in college, a 2021 draft bust at RG and a UDFA from Ohio (not Ohio State) who spent last season on the practice squad. This might or might not have been the play where Corral's foot got crushed.

PS: The Pats have a thing about Panthers and feet. There's Corral this season. Last season McCorkle tried to rip Brian Burns' foot off his leg. And in the 2019 preseason, Cam took a sack against the Pats that was the start of his foot problem.

Enix wrote:

And if you want to pile on the Panthers for mismanaging their draft assets, remember that they traded up to get Corral -- a fourth-round pick in this year's draft, and a third-round pick next year. That's a lot of draft capital with zero to show for it.

I forgot about that. They gave up a 2023 3rd in order to move from a late 4th (137) to a late 3rd (94). Which, in and of itself, you could maybe justify, if that was "their guy". You know, if they hadn't set draft picks on fire to get one quarterback, then still felt the need to burn another draft pick during the summer for yet another QB.

Zero quarterbacks were taken between 94 and 137. In fact, New England used pick 137 on a quarterback, Bailey Zappe.

Two punters went in that span though, neither of whom was Punt God, who went at the top of round 6.

Sam Howell went at the top of round 5, pick 144. Carolina could have stood pat and made that pick, an incredibly better value.

Kellen Mond got his ass kicked by the Niners second-team defense, throwing 2 INTs and going 10-of-20 for 82 yards.

Somewhere, Mike Zimmer is yelling "told you!" at no one in particular.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/Z8Hwv81.png)

Spoiler:

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/lhZ7cuv.jpg)

From fellow Rhule hater Mike Tanier of FBO: Corral had about a 3% chance of being the QB of the future in my book. Nice job by Matt Rhule and the #Panthers to trim that down to about 0.3%.

I mean, he is going to have as good a chance as anyone next year with the new coaching regime in Carolina. And yes, you hire Leftwich, you're my team!

UpToIsomorphism wrote:

I mean, he is going to have as good a chance as anyone next year with the new coaching regime in Carolina. And yes, you hire Leftwich, you're my team!

You could always hop on the bandwagon for Leftwich's current team; I mean, Brady's probably gone after this year so the team will suck again, so it will pretty shortly feel just like home for you.

Alex Leatherwood, whose selection at #17 overall in the 2021 draft prompted this response from me:

*Legion* wrote:

Leatherwood? LOL

... is not having a good time on the Raiders roster right now.

Last year, his struggles at tackle got him shifted to guard, where he wasn't much better, and he's now in a battle for the right tackle spot, which he is losing. At this point he's the 5th tackle on the Raiders depth chart, and that's before his horrible outing this week against Miami.

Not that cutting him will do much, as Leatherwood's deal (like most 1st round contracts these days) is fully guaranteed. So it's more likely he ends up buried on the depth chart.