Looking back, I probably shouldn't have been watching/playing that

firesloth wrote:

I saw Amityville Horror at the drive-in as a 7 year old.

And for my 9th birthday, my mother took me (and a friend!) to see Ghost Story. Totally inappropriate, including a pretty revealing sex scene early in the movie.

I watched Ghost Story at my friend's house. His parents didn't really care about that kind of stuff, so it was typical to see rated R movies there.

I can't really remember anything about Ghost Story except that it had some gruesome scenes.

firesloth wrote:

I mean, that only continued as I got older. One of my favorite movies as a teenager was Re-Animator, a campy-but-creepy-sort-of-Lovecraft-with-sex movie.

And then there's From Beyond with its weird, out-of-place dominatrix wardrobe scene.

jdzappa wrote:

Also, watching Poltergeist at 11 messed me up despite it being edited for TV.

Oh man, I saw this in the theater at age 10...which means my sister would have been 7. It scared the crap out of me, and I loved it...but it explains a lot about the path that my sister took.

Quintin_Stone wrote:
firesloth wrote:

I mean, that only continued as I got older. One of my favorite movies as a teenager was Re-Animator, a campy-but-creepy-sort-of-Lovecraft-with-sex movie.

And then there's From Beyond with its weird, out-of-place dominatrix wardrobe scene.

Oh man, I've never heard of that one. Looks positively awful. This is a good look at it:

The main character is Crawford Tillinghast?? What the hell kind of made-up-sounding name is that??

firesloth wrote:

The main character is Crawford Tillinghast?? What the hell kind of made-up-sounding name is that??

That one's on H.P. Lovecraft himself.

Strip Poker on the Atari 800.
I tried to play Leisure Suit Larry, but couldn't get passed the copy protection in the version I found, which was recent American history questions, like about Nixon.
The Kentucky Fried Movie almost certainly influenced my love of big boobs in the shower and Amazon Women on the Moon.

I remember a friend trying to play Strip Poker on an Apple. The thing was, he didn't know how to play poker. He just kept betting max bet every hand. I don't think he ever saw even a boob.

Of course I learned to play poker as a kid on the Intellivision. Blackjack but also things no one plays anymore like 5 card draw and 7 card stud.

Mixolyde wrote:

I tried to play Leisure Suit Larry, but couldn't get passed the copy protection in the version I found, which was recent American history questions, like about Nixon.

Oh my gosh, that is so awesome!

Quintin_Stone wrote:

I remember a friend trying to play Strip Poker on an Apple. The thing was, he didn't know how to play poker. He just kept betting max bet every hand. I don't think he ever saw even a boob.

My version let you save. That might have been the first game I ever save scummed.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Piers Anthony should not be read by children.

I had a friend who was massively into Xanth and also the series with all the weird games. They were OK, mostly. Then I bought a copy of his short story collection Anthonology. That was some messed up stuff.

Mixolyde wrote:

Strip Poker on the Atari 800.

Good lord, the effort that went into seeing some black-and-white pixellated nekkid ladies.

Anthonology was indeed messed up stuff.

So many people mentioning Leisure Suit Larry, I just never played it.
I remember first hearing about it some time in highschool, but it was just never a thing I had access to our interest in.

It's mostly a weird novelty of video game history to me.