Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Catch-All (SPOILERS)

The 11th (jfc) Star Trek series rewinds the clock to one of Gene Roddenberry's earlier iterations of the original series, focusing on Captain Christopher Pike, Number One, Spock, and a cast of characters both new and old. Spinning off from the second season of Star Trek Discovery, it's set to premiere on May 5th on Paramount+.

Today, we got two character focused teasers, first on Cadet Uhura and the second on La'an Noonien-Singh. Yep, you read that last name correctly. Time will tell if this works out or if Trek's trying to turn Khan and family into the new Joker.

I am all in on this. 1,000%.

Veloxi wrote:

I am all in on this. 1,000%.

Same. Gregory Peck is by far the best non-Nimoy Spock. Good Pike too, and the mini-episode of Number One....so good!

Keithustus wrote:

Gregory Peck

Ethan; Gregory was his grandfather, who costarred with a crapton of TOS actors in "To Kill a Mockingbird."

Hahaa, nice catch. Thanks. I keep making that mistake. I actually far prefer Pork Chop Hill to To Kill a Mockingbird, though.

More promos: Dr. M'Benga and the very modernized sickbay set. Nurse Chapel with more of sickbay. And Spock, who apparently knew T'Pring really well before she left him at the alter.

I may end up having to get Paramount +. Between this and Picard I would be set for quite a bit of viewing.

farley3k wrote:

I may end up having to get Paramount +. Between this and Picard I would be set for quite a bit of viewing.

Catch up on Discovery and Lower Decks, and check out Halo as well.

Can keep an eye on Slickdeals. Paramount + regularly has free monthly codes.

Quick tip on that too, choose the Commercial Free option when using the code. The code works with Ads or the Commercial Free option, so why not go without commercials.

I keep a sub to paramount+ all year round to support all the Star Trek shows they make (now add halo to the mix)

And now Number One, aka Una Chin-Riley hanging around in what looks like the 60s version of 10 Forward.

Edit: And Captain Pike rounds out the crew introductions.

Rat Boy wrote:

Full trailer.

WHY ISN'T IT MAY YET?!

This show seems like it is going to be the show I was hoping Discovery would be.

I hope.

Me too. I know dark and cynical is fashionable these days but Star Trek - for me - was about how humanity lived once they got past that.

Well, I guess he's in a bit of a mood if he's not spending 15 minutes staring at the ship.

Opening montage released though the vid might be region-locked. Visually it's impressive with callbacks to a number of past series. The theme itself I'm kind of iffy on, though it might grow on me.

Review embargos for the show have been lifted and the majority of the reviews I've read are glowing and more or less state words to the extent of "This is the first show that actually feels like Star Trek." Be warned though that now there's a crapton of spoilers floating about the internet.

Rat Boy wrote:

Review embargos for the show have been lifted and the majority of the reviews I've read are glowing and more or less state words to the extent of "This is the first show that actually feels like Star Trek." Be warned though that now there's a crapton of spoilers floating about the internet.

I think I know what you're getting at, but it's funny to imagine that there is a different cut-off each reviewer has in mind. Anything after Voyager was crap? After TNG? Maybe everything since TOS!

Most times when I saw variations of that phrase, it seemed to be a casual swipe at the other ongoing Trek shows on Paramount+. Other times it was basically saying it's the most TOS like show since TOS.

Episode 1: Strange New Worlds

Everything I was hoping it could be, it is. And credit to them for keeping that reveal a secret.

Tagging in but I'm way behind in general. A full season of Discovery and Picard to watch right now

PaladinTom wrote:

This show seems like it is going to be the show I was hoping Discovery would be.

I hope.

I hope so too.

After watching the first episode, so far so good.

Rat Boy wrote:

Most times when I saw variations of that phrase, it seemed to be a casual swipe at the other ongoing Trek shows on Paramount+. Other times it was basically saying it's the most TOS like show since TOS.

Maybe since TAS, anyway.

I'm cautiously optimistic after watching S1E1. Seems to be way more like episodic classic Trek, which is just what I want.

I cried at the end of Strange New Worlds. Totally cried. It was everything I was hoping it would be.

I hope Spock's perceived or actual lack of pants becomes a running gag.

A solid start. Although the, "my family was brutally murdered by the Gorn in front of me" character had me rolling my eyes. This writing team really doesn't know how to create character depth without using severe trauma, do they?

NSMike wrote:

A solid start. Although the, "my family was brutally murdered by the Gorn in front of me" character had me rolling my eyes. This writing team really doesn't know how to create character depth without using severe trauma, do they?

Funny, right before that I said to my wife "here comes some backstory". Sometimes I think these writers are running a D&D campaign.

Also, IIRC in Arena Kirk acted as if the Feds had never met the Gorn yet the characters in this scene acted like they all knew who they were.

Me when I realized what S.S. Puget Sound, the ship La'an was traveling on, is related to:

Spoiler:

IMAGE(https://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/twok-dc-hd/chapter03/st2-twok-dc-0416.jpg)

That was... fantastic!