NFL 2022: The preseason pre-draft thread

MilkmanDanimal wrote:

Just think about how much money the Panthers will be able to save by being able to buy Kenny gloves in the kids' section, Enix.

IMAGE(https://c.tenor.com/Pk_6yo1TZVYAAAAC/tiny-hands.gif)

Nice, one less GIF I have to find for myself.

I bet he smells like cabbage.

What a crazy offseason. I'm actually in favor of the Wilson trade, it's time to rebuild. Drew Lock should make a great tank commander until they draft someone in 2023.

Minase wrote:

What a crazy offseason. I'm actually in favor of the Wilson trade, it's time to rebuild. Drew Lock should make a great tank commander until they draft someone in 2023.

No no, they should definitely draft a QB this year and commit to them for the next few seasons.

Pete don't have time to wait around for next year, right Pete? Get your guy now, there's so many to choose from!

Byron snubbed again.

Wait, so, first Todd Bowles retired Brady but since it turned out Brady wasn't retired after all, he decided to retire Bruce Arians instead?

Well tbh this deserves a bit of praise.

He said he’s relinquishing the Tampa job because “succession has always been huge for me. With the organization in probably the best shape it’s been in its history, with Tom Brady coming back … I’d rather see Todd in position to be successful and not have to take some [crappy] job. I’m probably retiring next year anyway, in February. So, I control the narrative right now. I don’t control it next February because [if] Brady gets hurt, we go 10-7, and it’s an open interview for the job … I got 31 [coaches and their] families that depend on me
karmajay wrote:

succession has always been huge for me.

IMAGE(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FONKjXIakAI3A-E?format=png&name=900x900)

Remember how Brady retiring and angling for a trade was supposedly in part due to some dissatisfaction with Arians?

It feels like they waited just long enough between Brady's return and this retirement announcement for people to not automatically connect the two events. But I sit here unconvinced that they're not connected.

Do you mean in it in the sense of a possible beef between good ole' Bruce and Tommy? It's hard not think about that, but would it really be the case if Arians stays in the organization with an important role?

*Legion* wrote:
Minase wrote:

What a crazy offseason. I'm actually in favor of the Wilson trade, it's time to rebuild. Drew Lock should make a great tank commander until they draft someone in 2023.

No no, they should definitely draft a QB this year and commit to them for the next few seasons.

Pete don't have time to wait around for next year, right Pete? Get your guy now, there's so many to choose from!

Is next year considered a better QB year? A quick glance shows the top two QBs to be the Alabama doofus and CJ Stroud who goes to the other school that's sh*t at producing NFL QBs.

Mostly for Enix; I'm finding Tom Grossi more and more amusing lately, particularly the shorter videos, and the first comment from the "Panthers fan" is worth the watch alone.

An up-close look at your longest-tenured (but not for long!) coach in the NFC South:

IMAGE(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FPI3BS7XIAAFfQU?format=jpg&name=small)

Pink Stripes wrote:

Do you mean in it in the sense of a possible beef between good ole' Bruce and Tommy?

I don't know about full-on beef, but the word was that there was definitely some souring of the relationship, some clashing over coaching style, etc.

My guess is that Brady was clued in that Arians was stepping away, and that's what sparked the willingness to return to the Bucs. And with no coaching activities happening right now, it was easy enough to just let things sit and make the Arians move official weeks later.

but would it really be the case if Arians stays in the organization with an important role?

Not sure if this line was meant to be read sarcastically or not. In the event that it was not, those "consultant" roles are about as low in importance as it gets. If it was important, someone would have been doing that job already. It wouldn't have been a vacant role for Arians to just step into without ousting someone else from it.

"Senior football advisor/consultant" is the job title of Ryan Grigson, Matt Patricia, and Tom Donahoe. It's where you stick guys as a favor, an emeritus role.

Whatever Arians does as "consultant", it removes him from Brady's day-to-day. Which, if there was indeed a relationship issue, solves the problem.

iaintgotnopants wrote:

Is next year considered a better QB year?

A lot can change in a year (see: Rattler, Spencer). But yes, generally, 2023 is expected to be a better class.

Mostly, though, it almost has to be better by default. But I'll save the rest of that discussion for the draft guide.

*Legion* wrote:
Pink Stripes wrote:

Do you mean in it in the sense of a possible beef between good ole' Bruce and Tommy?

I don't know about full-on beef, but the word was that there was definitely some souring of the relationship, some clashing over coaching style, etc.

My guess is that Brady was clued in that Arians was stepping away, and that's what sparked the willingness to return to the Bucs. And with no coaching activities happening right now, it was easy enough to just let things sit and make the Arians move official weeks later.

but would it really be the case if Arians stays in the organization with an important role?

Not sure if this line was meant to be read sarcastically or not. In the event that it was not, those "consultant" roles are about as low in importance as it gets. If it was important, someone would have been doing that job already. It wouldn't have been a vacant role for Arians to just step into without ousting someone else from it.

"Senior football advisor/consultant" is the job title of Ryan Grigson, Matt Patricia, and Tom Donahoe. It's where you stick guys as a favor, an emeritus role.

Whatever Arians does as "consultant", it removes him from Brady's day-to-day. Which, if there was indeed a relationship issue, solves the problem.

I'm 100% buying into this. I think Arians had a huge influence over Brady's choice to "retire" in the first place.

EvilDead wrote:

I'm 100% buying into this. I think Arians had a huge influence over Brady's choice to "retire" in the first place.

The Boston Globe seems to agree with us.

EDIT: And some more:

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/UbMTBQj.png)

So the team is admitting that Brady knew weeks ago, either the day of or the day after he announced his return.

I expect we're still getting trickle-truthed. Like, I don't buy for a second that Brady came back and got blindsided with this news the next day. I expect the "true" part of it is that he was "officially" told what was happening at that time. But I expect he was given strong hints prior to that as to what was happening.

EDIT 2: Oh, and this:

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/zdAsJ1M.png)

Arians delayed stepping down as head coach so that... he could get clarification on a rule at the owner's meeting. Which seems a pretty shoddy excuse. What, head coach Todd Bowles wouldn't have been able to get that clarification?

Unless that rule being clarified was this one, the Rooney Rule loophole revealed with this hiring. Because under the current Rooney Rule, even an internal hire of a minority head coach is supposed to have to include interviews with external minority candidates.

Apparently, though, the Rooney Rule has an annual end date: March 1. Coaching hires after March 1 do not need to comply with the rule.

I'm going to be That Fan Guy and take Arians at his word; he's clearly consistently been somebody who has been willing to speak his mind. There was plenty of speculation in the offseason that Arians would retire, and I was a bit surprised he didn't, and either Bowles or Leftwich were going to be the logical replacements for him. He clearly has a great relationship with his staff, and "I didn't want to leave them a crap team" seems very much like something he would think. I think without Brady he'd have sighed heavily and coached another year, knowing full well the team wouldn't be that good, and he'd basically be taking a bullet for his coordinators. Then, he retires, one of them gets it, and there are fewer expectations after a down year as opposed to the success of the last two years.

Have no doubt he and Brady have grated on each other, but also have no doubt that's normal, and they still respect the hell out of each other. Arians isn't retiring because he hates the idea of working with Brady anymore, it's that he couldn't stand the idea of retiring and basically turning Bowles or Leftwich into a sacrificial lamb.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:

Arians isn't retiring because he hates the idea of working with Brady anymore

I don't think Arians quit to avoid Brady either.

It's not really Arians that I'm questioning. It's Brady.

Brady is the one that quit the team when Arians was still there, and he's the one that decided to come back at the exact same time, it turns out, that Arians began the process of stepping away.

Arians didn't quit to get away from Brady. Brady made the Bucs a possibility again once he got wind Arians was interested in quitting.

I don't doubt for a second that Arians would have coached the Bucs with Brady at QB again if Arians felt like coaching.

The only part of Arians that I question is the "well now I can hand the team off because Brady's here" justification, which mostly seems like narrative shaping. Like you said, we already heard that Arians might be done.

*Legion* wrote:

Unless that rule being clarified was this one, the Rooney Rule loophole revealed with this hiring. Because under the current Rooney Rule, even an internal hire of a minority head coach is supposed to have to include interviews with external minority candidates.

Apparently, though, the Rooney Rule has an annual end date: March 1. Coaching hires after March 1 do not need to comply with the rule.

That is exactly the rule he is referencing. It was brought up in the PFT article Rat Boy posted.

"What complicated the latter stage of this transfer from Arians to Bowles was the unusual timing of the move. Arians and the Bucs wanted Bowles to get the job, and so they went to the league and said, essentially, Let’s not go through sham interviews when we know we’re hiring Bowles, who will improve the league’s bottom line for minority hires.

It is customary for teams to follow the Rooney Rule in coach searches, mandating that at least two minority coaches be interviewed for every head-coach opening. Because this situation happened after the start of the league year in mid-March, and the NFL allows coaching interviews only after the regular season, it would have been precedent-setting for the league to allow coaching interviews now. The communication between the Bucs and the league on this issue is unknown, but the franchise feels comfortable enough after discussions with the league to confirm the Bowles hire."

I wonder what people would have thought if it were a white coach being elevated to the head job under these circumstances. Obviously there was no threat of this with the Bucs, but what if (piece of sh*t) Sean Payton had waited until March 1 to quit and have the Saints bump Dennis Allen up to head coach? It does feel like a loophole that just wasn't a problem this time because the entire candidate pool in Tampa was minority coaches (not even just Bowles and Leftwich, but the entire upper level coaching staff).

*Legion* wrote:

I wonder what people would have thought if it were a white coach being elevated to the head job under these circumstances. Obviously there was no threat of this with the Bucs, but what if (piece of sh*t) Sean Payton had waited until March 1 to quit and have the Saints bump Dennis Allen up to head coach? It does feel like a loophole that just wasn't a problem this time because the entire candidate pool in Tampa was minority coaches (not even just Bowles and Leftwich, but the entire upper level coaching staff).

It would probably close the loophole.

Bobby Wagner to the Rams. Staying in the NFCW

Pink Stripes wrote:

Bobby Wagner to the Rams. Staying in the NFCW

Boo. Although he is clearly in the early stages of decline from his peak years. He's more of a Top 20 linebacker than a Top 5 guy at this point, and it's not clear whether he's just gonna settle at that level and play out the next few years as a top 20 guy, or if there's more decline coming soon.

I get why Seattle let him go, and with a new deal at 5 years $50 million, he's got the same $10m AAV that the Packers signed De'Vondre Campbell for, who is only 2 years younger than Wagner. That makes him tied for 11th at the linebacker position, which is nothing to sneeze at, but shows the market doesn't value him as a top 5 guy anymore either.

It's an somewhat peculiar move by the Rams, who have not really been investing much at the interior linebacker position. Odd they spent the money there rather than on an edge rusher to replace Von Miller.

Lawyer claims Jerry Jones paid millions to woman who has filed paternity suit against him:

“On numerous occasions I have made payments on behalf of Mr. Jones to Cindy and Alex Davis,” lawyer Don Jack said in a statement issued to ESPN.com. Jack said the payments “ultimately totaled over $2 million.”

IMAGE(https://media1.giphy.com/media/2UvAUplPi4ESnKa3W0/giphy.gif)