NCAA Football 2022/2023 Season Catch All!

Badferret wrote:

And trip to Knoxville definitely seems like the only likely obstacle this far out.

I expect my Vols to slightly regress from this season to be honest. Home field is huge in these games, but we still don't have the dudes.

But it's SEC ball where anything can happen.

MannishBoy wrote:
Badferret wrote:

And trip to Knoxville definitely seems like the only likely obstacle this far out.

I expect my Vols to slightly regress from this season to be honest. Home field is huge in these games, but we still don't have the dudes.

But it's SEC ball where anything can happen.

I was as surprised as anyone to see the Vols be relevant in football again. They have been a women's basketball school as long as I can recall. They haven't been for real since The Forehead(tm) was under center.

Paleocon wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:
Badferret wrote:

And trip to Knoxville definitely seems like the only likely obstacle this far out.

I expect my Vols to slightly regress from this season to be honest. Home field is huge in these games, but we still don't have the dudes.

But it's SEC ball where anything can happen.

I was as surprised as anyone to see the Vols be relevant in football again. They have been a women's basketball school as long as I can recall. They haven't been for real since The Forehead(tm) was under center.

Unfortunately haven't been a dominant women's basketball school in a minute, although there is some improvement.

In the past year, we've had football, basketball, and baseball all ranked in the top 5 at some point. Two of those as high as #1. Men's basketball and baseball won the SEC championship tourneys. So the Vols athletic department is ascending again. Finally.

MannishBoy wrote:
Paleocon wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:
Badferret wrote:

And trip to Knoxville definitely seems like the only likely obstacle this far out.

I expect my Vols to slightly regress from this season to be honest. Home field is huge in these games, but we still don't have the dudes.

But it's SEC ball where anything can happen.

I was as surprised as anyone to see the Vols be relevant in football again. They have been a women's basketball school as long as I can recall. They haven't been for real since The Forehead(tm) was under center.

Unfortunately haven't been a dominant women's basketball school in a minute, although there is some improvement.

In the past year, we've had football, basketball, and baseball all ranked in the top 5 at some point. Two of those as high as #1. Men's basketball and baseball won the SEC championship tourneys. So the Vols athletic department is ascending again. Finally.

Good to see. Looks like my impressions need adjusting. I always think of Knoxville as the home of a world class burn unit, The Body Farm, and women's b ball.

Paleocon wrote:

Good to see. Looks like my impressions need adjusting. I always think of Knoxville as the home of a world class burn unit, The Body Farm, and women's b ball.

Crazy how many people remember the Body Farm Out of college, I didn't live that far from there. And my wife before we got married worked at UT Hospital, which is adjacent to it.

I guess it's just so weird a concept that it's hard to get it out of your head.

MannishBoy wrote:
Paleocon wrote:

Good to see. Looks like my impressions need adjusting. I always think of Knoxville as the home of a world class burn unit, The Body Farm, and women's b ball.

Crazy how many people remember the Body Farm Out of college, I didn't live that far from there. And my wife before we got married worked at UT Hospital, which is adjacent to it.

I guess it's just so weird a concept that it's hard to get it out of your head.

It is also worth noting that UT Hospital also has one of only like three airborne surgical theaters specializing in burns. Apparently, the epidemic of rural meth labs prompted folks in East TN to invest in some specialized capabilities.

Paleocon wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:
Paleocon wrote:

Good to see. Looks like my impressions need adjusting. I always think of Knoxville as the home of a world class burn unit, The Body Farm, and women's b ball.

Crazy how many people remember the Body Farm Out of college, I didn't live that far from there. And my wife before we got married worked at UT Hospital, which is adjacent to it.

I guess it's just so weird a concept that it's hard to get it out of your head.

It is also worth noting that UT Hospital also has one of only like three airborne surgical theaters specializing in burns. Apparently, the epidemic of rural meth labs prompted folks in East TN to invest in some specialized capabilities.

Got to love the south.

My wife ended up coordinating the accreditation and start up a level 2 trauma department at a mid-sized hospital elsewhere in the state but it's nowhere near the level of UT or a Vanderbilt. Pretty amazing what those two are set up for.

Was not expecting to get teary at the end. Well done, Matt Mitchell!

And Cal (maybe?) has a QB... TCU 3rd stringer and former 4* QB Sam Jackson to transfer to Cal...

"Backup and former 4*" is basically the recruiting tactic in the transfer age for bottom tier power 5 schools I guess.

Much more importantly, Cal's Underarmour deal if finally dead and done for as we've signed on with Nike starting next year.. not Jordan brand where we were before UA screwed us over, but I for one am very thankful for this.

Badferret wrote:

Was not expecting to get teary at the end. Well done, Matt Mitchell!

Yeah, didn't want to call out the gut punch to take away its effectiveness.

Carlbear95 wrote:

And Cal (maybe?) has a QB... TCU 3rd stringer and former 4* QB Sam Jackson to transfer to Cal...

Is he a BMF?

(I bet that guy has lived with that most of his life).

"That surprises me, considering the popularity of NCIS and the Cold Case Files. Americans love a brutal and graphic murder in the prime time slot!"

I really do want to see a graph of the ratings over time of this game... I assume half time had a giant drop off. Congrats on the record stomp. Maybe next year we won't be so undisciplined and will be able to be there with you.

manta173 wrote:

I really do want to see a graph of the ratings over time of this game... I assume half time had a giant drop off. Congrats on the record stomp. Maybe next year we won't be so undisciplined and will be able to be there with you.

It dropped by more than half as the game went on:

The Bulldogs’ 58-point beatdown — the largest margin of victory in any bowl game — declined 28% in ratings and 24% in viewership from Georgia-Alabama last year (12.1, 22.56M). Per Sports TV Ratings, viewership for the game peaked at 22.37 million from 8:30-8:45 PM ET, dropped below 20 million at 9:15 and dwindled to just 10.3 million in the final quarter-hour (10:45-11 PM).

lol... Guess the committee might rethink their rankings next year...

manta173 wrote:

lol... Guess the committee might rethink their rankings next year...

You could always go with the Heupel model.

manta173 wrote:

lol... Guess the committee might rethink their rankings next year...

Nah. It would just be easier to use the refs and bad calls to keep the game close in primetime like the NFL does.

Damn, just hours after the championship parade and celebration, a Georgia player and staffer were killed in a car crash.