Inscryption- Deck builder + escape room + hidden delights + demo availble

Fellow deck builders and gamers looking for one of those rare delights may I introduce Inscryption by Devolver. I've heard a bunch of podcasters discuss with glee and, as it turns out, there is a great DEMO on Steam.
As all reviewers and discussants say, it's best to go in as blind as possible.
Different enough from the traditional deck builder I'm finding the game mysterious and enjoyable.

On sale $17.99

From a review-- no spoliers-
VIDEO GAMES
If You Want to Play the Best Game of 2021, Don’t Read This
This is one you really, really, really don’t want spoiled for you.
BY EVAN URQUHART
OCT 28, 20214:36 PM
.

I’ve been playing it all weekend and it’s shooting to the top of my game of the year list. And I’m not a big deck building game guy. It is best to go in blind. I’ve been surprised by so much and it’s all been delightful.

If you get the game make sure you get through act 1 before you judge. Throughout act 1, I was liking it, but thought it was a typical roguelike card building with a few tricks and great atmosphere. I wasn’t sure if I would stick with it. I’m so glad I did.

Finished it earlier (at least I assume so - got to a credit roll) I'm sure there's stuff I missed but yeah, a FUN ROMP. And i say that as someone who tires REAL easily of these 'duel' cardgame roguelikes.

I rolled credits last night. What a pleasure. I know I missed stuff and want to go back in. Plus the different card mechanics are great and I want to keep playing them.

If you haven't already, check out the developer's previous games "The Hex" and "Pony Island", they're both excellent too.

GameSpot has a good rundown of the story, and how the ARG progressed, and a link to some… final(?) evidence. Link. Spoilers, obviously.

This game is hitting some pretty sweet spots.

Spoiler:

Look, the GWJ gang is all here:
IMAGE(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1832396285894848703/F1957E107C82971D309224289C5FA231ACADABD7/)

Way too cool.

trueheart78 wrote:

GameSpot has a good rundown of the story, and how the ARG progressed, and a link to some… final(?) evidence. Link. Spoilers, obviously.

Oh sh*t, looks like there's a bunch of stuff I clearly missed. Reckon I'll reinstall and have a poke around a bit more after all.

I keep getting stuck in the winter area. Always a couple matches where you have to either block with squirrels and you can't get any bone cost cards in your hand I've been attempting to do stuff in the room but it has still been mostly card game for me so far. (I've also not been reading any spoilers yet lol)

Also what are you getting when the opponent surrenders?

karmajay wrote:

I keep getting stuck in the winter area. Always a couple matches where you have to either block with squirrels and you can't get any bone cost cards in your hand I've been attempting to do stuff in the room but it has still been mostly card game for me so far. (I've also not been reading any spoilers yet lol)

Also what are you getting when the opponent surrenders?

There are things you get by completing puzzles in the room that improve your deck and chances during the card game. I ended up looking at a few walkthroughs for tips when I got stuck.

Sonicator wrote:

If you haven't already, check out the developer's previous games "The Hex" and "Pony Island", they're both excellent too.

I was listening with half an ear to the Waypoint crew talking about this the other day when Patrick mentioned it being from the Pony Island devs, that really attracted my attention.

I'm not actually playing games at the moment, but when I do start again this is definitely on the short list.

Ok, I did have a bit better luck once I realized that at the campfires you can always get 2 upgrades without having to worry about losing your card.

karmajay wrote:

Ok, I did have a bit better luck once I realized that at the campfires you can always get 2 upgrades without having to worry about losing your card.

No, you've just been lucky.

Wait ..winter area?

...ok I'm going to have to replay this again aren't I?

pyxistyx wrote:

Wait ..winter area?

...ok I'm going to have to replay this again aren't I?

I don’t think you can miss the winter area. It’s part of the map in the d&d campaign thing in the first act. After each boss the biome changes, buts it hard to tell because it’s monochrome. I think the only identifier is a comment as you start the section (you now enter the wetlands) and maybe the trees.

OH! ok sorry you mean the third "zone" in act 1. Got it. I was thinking this was something attached to ...

Spoiler:

...the JRPG part in act 2

for some reason.

(although I have since found a few secrets in act 2 that i didn't first time around regardless)

I made it to what I believe is the last boss and was not really prepared for the mechanics of that fight. This game has a lot of replayability though and is a ton of fun.

I just beat this, and I think it's my game of the year (so far).

I hate card games, but calling Inscryption one does it a real injustice.

Question though...

Spoiler:

I've not read anything about the ARG (I honestly only learned about it after the credits rolled and thought to myself "I feel like there's a lot more lurking underneath"), but is there anyone that is actually running the card game, or is the meta that the game itself is trying to replicate and spread so it can, uh, do evil things? Eat the players and turn them into cards?

I saw where Kaycee was a card in Act 1, and didn't even learn who she was until Act 2. It's obvious that she was captured in the game since she was a GameFuna employee.

I should be off buying new games.

I’ve been playing Inscryption for two days.

Wow. What a game and I thought I had rolled credits but no…

Edit: Thought there was new ARG details. Nope….

Well, apparently after 5.4 hours of playtime, I've just unlocked the actual game

I rolled credits on this yesterday. Defo going on the GOTY list somewhere, that was fricking great.

Hell of a ride, huh? We did a spoiler section on it.

Amoebic,

Thank you for your gushing about Inscryption. Can you tag with a spoiler how much time, roughly, the "actual game" might take to play? I've tried judiciously to avoid Googling anything regarding the game after an innocuous search on a minor matter led to a significant spoiler.

Sincerely,
Chad

i think i finished it in something around 20-ish hours first time through? I would roughly guess. (I am not the best at card games and i wasn't aware of...certain built-in exploits to speed things up, so in theory i would think you could get through it a lot quicker!)

chooka1 wrote:

Amoebic,

Thank you for your gushing about Inscryption. Can you tag with a spoiler how much time, roughly, the "actual game" might take to play? I've tried judiciously to avoid Googling anything regarding the game after an innocuous search on a minor matter led to a significant spoiler.

Sincerely,
Chad

howlongtobeat.com says 12 hours. I logged more like 17.

Mine was 11.5 hours to see credits, for what it's worth.

I think I finished the game.

Finished act 2. Act 3’s aesthetic interested me less than the prior two so I went ahead and YT that act and secrets. Amazing overall especially Act 1. Hope for more of that only in a follow-up.

In regards tot he ending

Spoiler:

I think it was a bit for a miss. I enjoy how an ARG can fill out story stuff for background or lore but here I think there was too big of a jump from the meta during the game to the final scene. It goes from supernatural to the mundane and no way to know why the end may have occurred without deep ARG knowledge.