NFL 2021: The Week 1 thread

Pretty hard to be a run-focused team when nobody has any knees left.

FML.

I don't know what is going on at the Ravens training camp, but they need to find the demons and do something about it.

New turf or something?

I think they're tanking in order to have a losing season so Lamar won't ask for as much $$$.

I hope nobody has any running backs they like stashed on their practice squads, because they'll be Ravens soon.

Maybe we finally see the analytics end point of “pass on every down”

The Ravens now have nearly $20M on IR before the season opener.

Has there ever been a case where the entire running back room was out for the season before it began?

This is some next level voodoo.

The Ravens week 4 RB room:
* Lev Bell
* Todd Gurley
* Frank Gore
* Eric Dickerson
* Tim Tebow

Maybe they're taking notes from the Dolphins WR core?

staygold wrote:

Maybe we finally see the analytics end point of “pass on every down”

Or QB draw on every down.

ukickmydog wrote:
staygold wrote:

Maybe we finally see the analytics end point of “pass on every down”

Or QB draw on every down.

I'd watch that.

Enix wrote:
ukickmydog wrote:
staygold wrote:

Maybe we finally see the analytics end point of “pass on every down”

Or QB draw on every down.

I'd watch that.

Let me tell you about this team called Navy.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:

The Saints had to gut their roster to get under the cap, and we all know who Jameis is....

Atlanta lost its best player, their defense isn't good, and their offensive line is questionable. Carolina at least has CMC and a good defense, but Atlanta's a combo of hoping Kyle Pitts is as good as advertised, and Calvin Ridley can still consistently be a stud without Julio around.

Atlanta is in trouble, but Julio has missed enough games that the question wasn't whether Calvin Ridley is a stud, but whether he had already become the better WR.

Also, I'm not saying this as an example of good judgment, but Jameis decided after 5 years of professional football that better depth perception might improve his play. I still can't wrap my head around a professional QB getting lasik this far into his career unless his vision changed suddenly, but maybe his INT rate will go down?

Paleocon wrote:

Has there ever been a case where the entire running back room was out for the season before it began?

I saw someone on Reddit say, "haven't seen this many injuries to RBs on a single team since... San Francisco last year". But the 49ers actually had to play season games to lose most of them.

Before a season began? No, I can't think of any comparables.

O wow football is back.

The long pilgrimage to suffering.

Ah, a Thursday Night battle between the punter the Jaguars drafted in the 3rd round, and the punter the Niners drafted in the 5th round.

Bucs already down a DB. Uh oh.

Penalty. Penalty. Penalty. I'm out.

Ex Seahawk Quandre Diggs you say?

How is that not a penalty for removing ones helmet?

Top_Shelf wrote:

How is that not a penalty for removing ones helmet?

I was wondering about that one too.

Wait when did Joe Tryon become Joe Tryon-Shoryuken?

Same with that linebacker the Ravens took. First he was Jayson Oweh all draft season, now his name is Odafe.

*Legion* wrote:

Wait when did Joe Tryon become Joe Tryon-Shoryuken?

Same with that linebacker the Ravens took. First he was Jayson Oweh all draft season, now his name is Odafe.

Shoryuken is funny, but making fun of his name is probably why guys with foreign-sounding names don't use em until they've arrived at their final destinations.

*Legion* wrote:
Top_Shelf wrote:

How is that not a penalty for removing ones helmet?

I was wondering about that one too.

I really wish there was kind of a difficulty setting for national broadcasts. I don't need Collinsworth telling me a bunch of basic junk for a general audience.

I want the hardcore commentary on NBC2 or Peacock. Nightmare difficulty, not I'm Too Young To Die.

garion333 wrote:
*Legion* wrote:

Wait when did Joe Tryon become Joe Tryon-Shoryuken?

Same with that linebacker the Ravens took. First he was Jayson Oweh all draft season, now his name is Odafe.

Shoryuken is funny, but making fun of his name is probably why guys with foreign-sounding names don't use em until they've arrived at their final destinations.

Well damn now I gotta write him an apology.

Dallas choking it away with terrible red zone offense. They should be up by 2 TDs.

Everything is the Big 12 now.

Watched most of the game on my phone while at a minor league baseball game with my D&D nerd group. Got home just in time for that final drive. Ryan Succop continues to be the best Mr. Irrelevant ever.

Cam ain't wrong: The Pats didn't want Cam looming over McCorkle, and Cam isn't the 33rd best QB in the league.

He is, however, absolutely wrong about that hat. You cut off the top of a perfectly good (whatever kind of hat that is) to let your hair out? Man.

PS: Here's the whole video. Twitter is awash with badly cut cutups of the whole thing.

Meanwhile, Mac Jones' girlfriend is helping him learn the Pats playbook. Somehow that gets spun as cute instead of McCorkle being dumber than most of those chowderheads up that way.

I like the hair out the top. Of all the outrageous things Cam has done with his fashion, this one feels the most practical and I dig that.

garion333 wrote:

I like the hair out the top. Of all the outrageous things Cam has done with his fashion, this one feels the most practical and I dig that.

I'm with you. He looks like a JRPG character design with this one and I think that's pretty cool here.

Enix wrote:

and Cam isn't the 33rd best QB in the league.

I haven't seen anything lately to make me believe that he's all that far from it, though. I mean, I've had the assumption that the struggles were just "injured Cam" and that "healthy Cam" would turn things around. But he wasn't very good in 2 of his 3 preseason games, and the exception game was the Philly "call cushy Cover 2 every play" game where all the Pats QBs were pretty much throwing against air.

Cam that plays like pre-shoulder injury Cam would indeed be significantly better than 33rd. Cam that plays like what we've seen recently is, at absolute best, in the very high 20s, and with age and health concerns both working against him.

Top_Shelf wrote:

How is that not a penalty for removing ones helmet?

Was that Antonio Brown? I think the helmet came off before the end of the play.