Horror movies and TV series

Watched Nowhere which I liked but wouldn't call it a horror movie. It was on a horror list and that is why I watched it. This is a survival movie. There is a world event that limits amount of food. Some places go into to complete chaos and people try to escape these areas.

The movie centers around one woman's escape attempt. She has all kinds of problems that happen to people in real life trying to get into other countries illegally. I did find this odd because there was no need for a fictional event when these things happen for real.

Most of the movie takes place in a box. The entire movie is held up by one lady. The acting is pretty good. The story is pretty good but some of the convenient situations gets a little out of hand. They should have shaved a half hour off of this movie. One scene I just didn't get is where she is screaming for help but the people clearly can't help her. They needed her help because they were slowly dying while she was trapped in a box.

Anyway I give this movie 8 amazon boxes out of 10. How much did amazon pay to have those boxes in this movie.

Watched The Nun 2 which wasn't good but if you liked the first one you might like this one. For a movie called The Nun you would expect more nun stuff. Most of the movie she is just a picture. Also note I don't really like these types of movies where supernatural thingy seems to be able to do literally anything but doesn't instant kill people they are trying to kill.

I give this movie 5 school girls I wished were killed out of 10. IT and The Nun are kind of the same except one pretends to be a clown and the other a nun. I actually liked IT, the new one and the old one.

That’s one thing I don’t like in a horror movie is when the evil entity has vast unspecified powers and just doesn’t, or doesn’t do, whatever the plot requires. One of the Annabelle movies was the same (I’ve tried to watch but not gotten very far through several Annabelle movies.

Saw The Boogyman. This is a straight up monster in the closet film. But I'd say the first half of the film is pretty good. The monster starts off interesting as it has some abilities to try and mimic how the family members sound to lure them in. But by the last 20 minutes or so they do away with pretty much all that and just make this a standard creature feature.

It's a shame as the monsters history was alluded to but not explored. Like there's this corruption that starts to happen around the house and they don't explain why that is. The monster obviously lives in closets. Why does it live in them? And how is it moving between closets that are miles apart? The monster is a physical thing that can be harmed so would have been neat to explore how it does what it does.

In any case the movie does look fantastic. The cinematographer needs a bonus here as some of the scenes during the first half of the film, and lighting throughout, are just fantastic. But there's only so many times you can do the trick of the monster just being at the edge of the light for it to stop being scary. But there are still some nice "oh sh*t!" moments as something unexpected happens.

Overall, I enjoyed it. It just fell apart for me at the end as the monster stopped being interesting and just went into typical creature feature mode.

Also tried to watch The Friendship Game. Made it about 30 minutes before bailing.

Girl finds strange cube at a yard sale, which turns out is a game. But its a dumb game no one would bother playing. The game is this. You hold the cube, and you tell your friends a secret, pass it to the next person and they do the same. That's it. The entirety of the actual gameplay. Who would play that?

Now of course those that play the game start to die but honestly not sure why. There are so many odd cuts in the film it looks like maybe two different films got pieced together. To top it off the first death is so lame. That initial death should set up all the upcoming deaths. It should be creative and more importantly terrifying. But you get this G-rated scene of someone getting strangled. The hands go around the throat, a sound is made, and it cuts to the next scene. There's no shot of the person actually dying. Was this made for TV?

Skip this one.

Meg 2: Ok not a horror movie but watched this after The Friendship game and loved it compared to that other film.

Sounds like The Boogyman had a lot more potential than it realised.

Crawley wrote:

Meg 2: Ok not a horror movie but watched this after The Friendship game and loved it compared to that other film.

I have heard that there isn’t a lot of meg in Meg 2. That put me off a little but good to her it might be fun regardless.

Watched Pet Semetary Bloodlines and didn't care much for it. The premise was pretty good. The execution wasn't very bad. I thought this was going to all take place in the 1600s. This takes place before the original movies but still in modern times.

There just wasn't enough meat on this bone. A big waste of some OG talent. Not enough killing. The lore was made more confusing. Not much of anything to like.

I give this movie 3 dead pets out of 10. I'm going to put this movie in the pet semetary and hope it comes out better.

Watched Terrified on Shudder this evening. Spanish film. The director, Demian Rugna, has a new one coming out this month, When Evil Lurks. Was really well done. Quite creepy, doesn't pull punches. Reminded me a little bit of the original poltergeist with the paranormal investigators. Definitely worth a watch.

Looking forward to the new one from him later this month.

Higgledy wrote:

Sounds like The Boogyman had a lot more potential than it realised.

Crawley wrote:

Meg 2: Ok not a horror movie but watched this after The Friendship game and loved it compared to that other film.

I have heard that there isn’t a lot of meg in Meg 2. That put me off a little but good to her it might be fun regardless.

There's 3 Megs in the film but they mainly do their stuff in the last 15-20 minutes - and that part is kinda fun for the absurdity of it all. But the main monsters are these smaller things that I guess would be raptors of land/sea but dumber. And there's some bad humans, who are also pretty dumb.

Baron Of Hell wrote:

Watched Pet Semetary Bloodlines and didn't care much for it. The premise was pretty good. The execution wasn't very bad. I thought this was going to all take place in the 1600s. This takes place before the original movies but still in modern times.

There just wasn't enough meat on this bone. A big waste of some OG talent. Not enough killing. The lore was made more confusing. Not much of anything to like.

I give this movie 3 dead pets out of 10. I'm going to put this movie in the pet semetary and hope it comes out better.

I caught this over the weekend. As a huge fan of the book and the movie(s), I was hoping for a lot more. Real generic, real boring. I was hopeful at the beginning because there are lots of cool stories and directions they could have gone in with King's lore. But per usual, seemed to completely miss the emotional point that makes the original story such a gut punch.

Watched VHS 99 which so far is the worse in the series. I think this is the only one I have watched where every single story was bad. There was some good things that were odd. There were some funny moments but nothing that was funny enough to save this.

Watched Organ Trail 2023 which I guess is suppose to be based on the video game. The game doesn't have a story just a situation. And the game is a parody of Oregon Trail. I wouldn't call this a horror movie. There are some good moments but I wouldn't call them horror moments.

The movie is about settlers that run into some serious problems. Most are killed and the movie turns into a kind of revenge movie. Or maybe a good guys vs bad guys movie. Standard western stuff.

Anyway some of the movie references surprised me. At first I wasn't sure they were making movie references but then they do a couple that were over the top but fit the movie.

I give the movie 8 holes in the hands out of 10. Yeah I liked the movie but not as a "horror" movie or horror western. You want a good horror western watch Bone Tomahawk.

Watched The Mill on hulu which is about the daily grind, literally. Joe wakes up in a room with only a mill in it. He has to turn the mill a minimum amount of times or be punished. Worse yet there are other people locked up that also have to turn their mills. Whoever, turns the mill the least dies even if they hit their minimum.

99% of the movie takes place in this one room with one actor talking to unseen people behind the wall or to the computer. This thing was probably made for two dollars and change. The one guy was interesting and held the movie up. The movie wasn't scary. I wouldn't call it horror but I could see why people would especially if you have one of those jobs that is grinding you down pitting you against each other. That reminds me I need to order some stuff from amazon.

I give this movie 7.5 isn't it great when one company owns everything even your soul out of 10. Oh S my order just arrived. That was fast.

Watch Cabin Girl on tubi. This is about a vlogger that does van life videos. Something happens and she changes to doing cabin videos. This isn't a strong horror movie more thriller. There are spooky stuff going on but there are also real world stuff that has happen to vloggers.

Most tubi movies have a certain style and this has it. Very low budget cheap fill. With that said I enjoyed watching it but I like watching van life videos on youtube. There are some serious eye rolling moments in this movie but I didn't mind them. One of the problems people might have is tone shift in the movie. One moment it is found footage and the next standard movie. The acting was okay. The main girl sold herself as the standard vlogger. Not a lot of blood but there was at least one really good axe scene.

I give this 7 if you tell people where you are at on youtube someone is going to come to kill you out of 10. Sometimes you just want to just sell it all buy a van and live on the road like mad max.

Garth wrote:
Baron Of Hell wrote:

Watched Pet Semetary Bloodlines and didn't care much for it. The premise was pretty good. The execution wasn't very bad. I thought this was going to all take place in the 1600s. This takes place before the original movies but still in modern times.

There just wasn't enough meat on this bone. A big waste of some OG talent. Not enough killing. The lore was made more confusing. Not much of anything to like.

I give this movie 3 dead pets out of 10. I'm going to put this movie in the pet semetary and hope it comes out better.

I caught this over the weekend. As a huge fan of the book and the movie(s), I was hoping for a lot more. Real generic, real boring. I was hopeful at the beginning because there are lots of cool stories and directions they could have gone in with King's lore. But per usual, seemed to completely miss the emotional point that makes the original story such a gut punch.

There's another Pet Semetary sequel?

The new pet semetary is a prequel.

Watched the first two episodes of the new Goosebumps series. The series isn't made up of self contained episodes. Looks like they are doing a season long story line that so far referencing multiple episodes from the first series. I'm not sure if all the weirdness is connected. Kind of odd to have multiple supernatural things hit at the same time though.

So far I'm really digging the show.

Baron Of Hell wrote:

Watched The Mill on hulu which is about the daily grind, literally. Joe wakes up in a room with only a mill in it. He has to turn the mill a minimum amount of times or be punished. Worse yet there are other people locked up that also have to turn their mills. Whoever, turns the mill the least dies even if they hit their minimum.

99% of the movie takes place in this one room with one actor talking to unseen people behind the wall or to the computer. This thing was probably made for two dollars and change. The one guy was interesting and held the movie up. The movie wasn't scary. I wouldn't call it horror but I could see why people would especially if you have one of those jobs that is grinding you down pitting you against each other. That reminds me I need to order some stuff from amazon.

I give this movie 7.5 isn't it great when one company owns everything even your soul out of 10. Oh S my order just arrived. That was fast.

I like these types of movies where people wake up in strange places and don't know how they got there and strange (or horrifying) stuff happens. So ended up liking this one more than you did.

But yes, not scary. Just more of wondering what's going to happen next and what exactly is going on. The reveal wasn't great but wasn't bad either. And the last line from the character gives me hope he succeed. However I don't think a sequel is warranted to see that through.

A fun watch though.

Watched Vampirella 1996 which tries to be faithful to the comic and tries to be a serious movie. This movie is next level terrible. I kind of liked it.

A Vampire from another planet escapes punishment by fleeing to Earth. Vampirella follows the bad vampire to Earth to punish him for his crimes. Unfortunately, she gets to Earth a couple centuries after the bad vampire. Once she gets to Earth she joins forces with a team of monster hunters to track down the bad vampire.

This movie is terrible. I kind of liked it.

I give the movie 7 who is that guy out of 10. Get it who. The main bad vampire is in The Who band. He sings in this. Reminds me of when Lestat became a rock star.

Horror movie night tonight. Whoo!

Not sure which movie we’ll pick but I have some good ones on the list.

Watched VHS 85 which might be a little triggering if you are sensitive to gun violence. This one has it problems but I liked it. Wasn't the best in the series or the worse. I put it in the middle. I think they need to move beyond the retro concept and just embrace the now. I also wish they stop putting dashes in the name. I was searching for it but it didn't come. I was thinking that maybe it isn't out for the US yet. Nope, just need it to spell it with dashes v/h/s.

I give it 8 dumb / out of 10. Also going from 99 to 94 and then to 85 is dumb. Well I guess the order you watch them in doesn't matter.

We watched Room 1408. It was flawed in many ways. John Cusack’s performance was OTT. Some of that was him, a lot of it was him and some was his character as written. I loved how far the movie went with the premise. It also has a vertigo inducing scene which always freaks Karen and I out.

We alternate the venue for movie night and Karen has a TV that makes everything look like a daytime soap opera. The sets look like sets rather than real places and everything looks like it was shot cheaply. The first time we watched a movie on it it was an obscure British movie and I thought it was just a cheap production but all movies look the same. I think the TV must just flatten the light with lower contrast or something.

Watched Angst 1983 a movie about a killer. This is one of those screwed up movies. The killer murders someone but only goes to jail for four years. When he gets out he kills again and gets 10 years. Then on the same day he is let out he kills multiple other people.

The disturbing part is we are mainly in the killer's mind. The beginning and ending has doctors talking about him but most of the movie is from the killers point of view. Also this is based on a true story.

I really liked the movie but it has some odd parts. One victim just stands around while the killer is killing one of their family members. Then there is another point when a victim doesn't scream our or say anything while the killer is killing their family members. Maybe they were in super shock.

Oh I guess it was banned for bit. The guy does rape a corpse.

Also there was some good camera work in this. Some of the shots reminded me of Spike Lee films. The killer must have been wearing a rig or standing on one at times. The camera work really added to his crazy state of mind.

I give the movie 8 maybe you shouldn't release murderers without some kind of supervision out of 10. I think the real life killer is the running for Speaker of the House.

Higgledy wrote:

We alternate the venue for movie night and Karen has a TV that makes everything look like a daytime soap opera.

Turn off motion smoothing to get rid of the soap opera effect. Might have a different name in your TV settings like judder.

JC wrote:
Higgledy wrote:

We alternate the venue for movie night and Karen has a TV that makes everything look like a daytime soap opera.

Turn off motion smoothing to get rid of the soap opera effect. Might have a different name in your TV settings like judder.

Ah, ok. Thanks.

I recently read The Ritual and saw that there was a Netflix Original movie version of it. It's a psychological monster thriller that is based around 4 friends, going on a camping expedition, in the Scandinavian wilderness. The movie wasn't as nuts as the book but I still found it entertaining.

There’s a book you say… and it’s even more nuts than the film you say. Hmmmm, may have to track it down.

JC wrote:
Higgledy wrote:

We alternate the venue for movie night and Karen has a TV that makes everything look like a daytime soap opera.

Turn off motion smoothing to get rid of the soap opera effect. Might have a different name in your TV settings like judder.

My wife pops that on by mistake every once in a while. But she doesn't see the difference between it and 24 fps.

It's horrifying.

Higgledy wrote:

There’s a book you say… and it’s even more nuts than the film you say. Hmmmm, may have to track it down.

Yes, and it delves way deeper into their interpersonal relationships and their issues. Also the change of direction, towards the end of the film, is a much larger portion of book and way more fleshed out.

Minor plot spoiler about the camping crew that might change your mind.

Spoiler:

The groups character flaws are more pronounced and they are way less likeable. I know some people don't like stories that contain few to no "good" characters.

Thanks.

Watched Godless The Eastfield Exorcism which is based on a true story. A woman is having multiple mental episodes or is being possessed. A doctor is trying to treat her and her husband is trying to get her an exorcism.

The horror comes from the brutal treatment of the woman. There are demonic stuff happening, the question being are the demons real? The other question is is the medical treatment working? Basically science vs religion.

I'd give this movie 8 I can't believe no one went to jail for any of this out of 10. Hey if you kill someone for the lord it isn't really murder. Now if you kill someone because the devil made you do it your butt is going to fry. Maybe in more ways than one. So racist.

When Evil Lurks is an Argentinian film that a few critics seem to really rate. It’s in cinemas at the moment I think. I’ll keep an eye out for it popping up on a steaming service.