Steam Deck and Linux Gaming

I held on to mine in case I needed to RMA the device. If you send it back for some other fault with your 1TB in it, you may not get the same device back fro the RMA...

I don't like that many games I play on Deck don't have automatic cloud backups of save files. I've started to use Ludusavi as a tool to backup saves for these games since it has built in support for so many sources of games on Deck other than just Steam games. That gets my save backup into one folder but doesn't get them off my Deck to redundant storage.

I'm using my SD card as a redundant copy of my saves but I'd still like to automatically sync them off device too.

Edit: I am now comparing Ludusavi's built in Rclone support to using Syncthing to sync the backups off the Deck automatically.

Edit2: Ludusavi works great on Deck and Windows so far. On Windows I have it writing directly to a folder that my cloud service automatically syncs so it's basically one touch cloud backup of save games. Haven't got that working yet on Deck but I'm trying some approaches. In all cases I'm specifically narrowing it down to only games that don't already have cloud saves through Steam/GamePass/GoG/Epic/etc. It isn't really meant for using one backup location between computers but it can sorta do that with some tweaked config. Not something I currently need.

Spoiler:

From original post:

What's the best way to sync a folder between Steam Deck and Windows PC these days?

I used to use Warpinator then switched to KDE Connect to send individual files back and forth. Works well for single files.

I could compress the whole folder and send it as a single archive but I already don't like how many steps it takes when I'm doing it regularly and I still have to use something like KDE Connect.

I could try to get some cloud sync service running on the Deck and make Ludusavi backup to that. Setting these services up in Linux was annoying last I did it.

I could mount a Windows SMB share on the Deck and stash files there. Maybe rsync or FreeFileSync between Ludusavi backup folder and Windows mount if I want to keep both copies for redundancy. Maybe just make the Windows share inside a cloud storage folder so I get redundant backups that way.

Anyone already have a good solution here or some learnings to share?

Thanks for the Ludusavi tip.

Finally decided to buy a Deck. Got the 64MB version and ordered a 1TB drive to replace it for cheaper than the 256GB version.

steinkrug wrote:

Got the 64MB version

Did you order it from Wish? Does the box say Stoom Deck?

steinkrug wrote:

Finally decided to buy a Deck. Got the 64MB version and ordered a 1TB drive to replace it for cheaper than the 256GB version.

I did the same* during the sale a month ago for IIRC $359. Ordered a WD 2TB drive from AliExpress for $116 before some cashback deals from Retail Me Not, plus I added a matte screen protector (also from AliExpress).

*64GB

I got the 64GB version and a 512GB SD card, and told myself, "just as soon as storage management gets annoying enough, I'll go ahead and get a big SSD and replace the internal storage." Six months and counting, hasn't happened yet.

*Legion* wrote:
steinkrug wrote:

Got the 64MB version

Did you order it from Wish? Does the box say Stoom Deck?

In elementary school, I knew a kid that was adamant that he got an Intendo for Christmas. I wonder if he actually got a knockoff or if he was just an idiot.

I still want a steam deck.

JohnKillo wrote:

I still want a steam deck.

Me too stupid, house, kids, life needing sensible financial management.

Whoops

hbi2k wrote:

I got the 64GB version and a 512GB SD card, and told myself, "just as soon as storage management gets annoying enough, I'll go ahead and get a big SSD and replace the internal storage." Six months and counting, hasn't happened yet.

My reason for going ahead was it was a pain to manage install location for games from non-Steam launchers. And I bought it with the idea in my head already.

But if I didn't have all these other games (many free) from Epic, GOG, Amazon, Uplay, and EA, I would have been fine with the large SD card I started with.

And I like to tinker.

I think it just depends on what you play. Shader and Proton files alone could take up a big chunk of that 64GB.

I didn't even know they made 2TB 2230 m.2s. I'm using an Xbox Series X drive I bought off eBay (850GB usable space). I'll have to keep my eye out on sales for larger sizes if they're more available now.

ccoates wrote:

I think it just depends on what you play. Shader and Proton files alone could take up a big chunk of that 64GB.

I didn't even know they made 2TB 2230 m.2s. I'm using an Xbox Series X drive I bought off eBay (850GB usable space). I'll have to keep my eye out on sales for larger sizes if they're more available now.

This is the one I got. If you're not in a rush, wait for their 11/11 sale. Or if you use RetailMeNot cash back, they've got 10% back now, but were recently up to 20%.

I'd looked around reddit and other places and people had been getting legit WD drives. Don't know that there are many people selling 2230 SSD's to the point they are mass counterfeiting yet.

Also, for matte tempered glass screen protectors, this is what I got and it's pretty good. Cheaper than anything I could find on Amazon. 2 for $10.

bbk1980 wrote:

Me too stupid, house, kids, life needing sensible financial management.

I hate to be the enabler, but without the Steam Deck, house and kids would have usurped all my gaming time. I cannot stress how much the insta pause function has transformed my gaming experience. The ability to click a button when I hear heavy footfalls, shut the screen down, and know that the game is waiting for me is a game changer.

Kronen wrote:
bbk1980 wrote:

Me too stupid, house, kids, life needing sensible financial management.

I hate to be the enabler, but without the Steam Deck, house and kids would have usurped all my gaming time. I cannot stress how much the insta pause function has transformed my gaming experience. The ability to click a button when I hear heavy footfalls, shut the screen down, and know that the game is waiting for me is a game changer.

100%

This is exactly why I own and use a Deck. It's why I bought a Switch back in the day.

It's the "sensible financial management" that complicates things. I'm not aware of a PC device that can play games as well as the Deck for less money.

Edit: Spoilering the non-Deck option discussion:

Spoiler:

I've searched for a laptop/mini-pc option and I've come close but it's always just slightly more expensive. Any less expensive device I find is too underpowered to really be worth it for PC games unless all you play is really old/basic stuff.

You can go the handheld console route. Official Nintendo devices or the various emulator handhelds out there can certainly hit a lower price point with huge gaming potential. Those usually support insta-pause/sleep which is critical for a device you play around family. But not PC games.

There doesn't seem to be any better option for PC games than the Deck unless you adjust your expectations.

Maybe one day single board computers make this possible.

I follow ETA PRIME on YouTube because he posts a lot about this segment of gaming device. He's had a few approaches work for small desktop (not handheld) but they depend on him getting an amazing deal on parts from eBay.

I've been keeping an eye on the inexpensive refurb PC market. If old business laptops with not bad CPUs suddenly flood the market that's going to be the way to get a mobile device that can play games similar to a Deck. Not handheld but likely still mobile enough for use around a house.

The refurb market tends to get flooded with devices that can't run the latest version of Windows (without hacks) so it's full of devices too old for official Windows 11 support but still run Windows 10 or Linux well. The trick is finding one where the integrated GPU is good enough for some lite gaming.

pandasuit wrote:

100%

This is exactly why I own and use a Deck. It's why I bought a Switch back in the day.

It's the "sensible financial management" that complicates things. I'm not aware of a PC device that can play games as well as the Deck for less money.

This is exactly why I am now starting to search the used market for a Steam Deck. I have so many free games floating around, and most of my gaming time is at the end of the day when I'm waiting for kiddos to fall asleep. My switch normally fills this role, but after getting back in to PC gaming for BG3, now I want a steam deck for the same goal. I have a gaming laptop, and that works, but the ability to just set the deck down on the nightstand next to my chair, get up and help a kiddo, and then return makes it functional in a way a gaming laptop never can be.

IMAGE(https://i.giphy.com/media/KDVswimTNahWzcd7sV/giphy.webp)

My Dave the Diver machine is now my Disgaea 5 machine. The platform works great for doing the longer dungeons without save checkpoints. Only complaint: Steam barks at me if I try to spin up another game on my desktop PC. There's probably a way around that with putting the deck offline or something, but I haven't bothered to investigate so far.

Yeah, as long as either your desktop or your Steam Deck is in offline mode, you'll be okay.

Yoreel wrote:
pandasuit wrote:

100%

This is exactly why I own and use a Deck. It's why I bought a Switch back in the day.

It's the "sensible financial management" that complicates things. I'm not aware of a PC device that can play games as well as the Deck for less money.

This is exactly why I am now starting to search the used market for a Steam Deck. I have so many free games floating around, and most of my gaming time is at the end of the day when I'm waiting for kiddos to fall asleep. My switch normally fills this role, but after getting back in to PC gaming for BG3, now I want a steam deck for the same goal. I have a gaming laptop, and that works, but the ability to just set the deck down on the nightstand next to my chair, get up and help a kiddo, and then return makes it functional in a way a gaming laptop never can be.

I concur with all of this however we have an architect coming in thursday and the family have designs on a bigger kitchen and a utility room. Think I’m scuppered for a while

bbk1980 wrote:
Yoreel wrote:
pandasuit wrote:

100%

This is exactly why I own and use a Deck. It's why I bought a Switch back in the day.

It's the "sensible financial management" that complicates things. I'm not aware of a PC device that can play games as well as the Deck for less money.

This is exactly why I am now starting to search the used market for a Steam Deck. I have so many free games floating around, and most of my gaming time is at the end of the day when I'm waiting for kiddos to fall asleep. My switch normally fills this role, but after getting back in to PC gaming for BG3, now I want a steam deck for the same goal. I have a gaming laptop, and that works, but the ability to just set the deck down on the nightstand next to my chair, get up and help a kiddo, and then return makes it functional in a way a gaming laptop never can be.

I concur with all of this however we have an architect coming in thursday and the family have designs on a bigger kitchen and a utility room. Think I’m scuppered for a while :(

Less ideal alternative if you already have a gaming PC is stream games from PC to Steam Link app on your phone and use a controller mount. Still lets you game anywhere in house and “pause” instantly.

It’s nowhere near as nice as playing directly on Deck but it’s really inexpensive if you already have the PC, phone, and controller. Amazon sells phone controller mounts for very cheap.

bbk1980 wrote:

I concur with all of this however we have an architect coming in thursday and the family have designs on a bigger kitchen and a utility room. Think I’m scuppered for a while :(

Pretty sure you can view kitchen and utility room plans on a steam deck. It's mobile and versatile, and far more powerful for viewing and planning than a tablet would be. Should be a no-brainer to just include the absolute minimal cost of this valuable tool into the overall cost of the project.

omni wrote:
bbk1980 wrote:

I concur with all of this however we have an architect coming in thursday and the family have designs on a bigger kitchen and a utility room. Think I’m scuppered for a while :(

Pretty sure you can view kitchen and utility room plans on a steam deck. It's mobile and versatile, and far more powerful for viewing and planning than a tablet would be. Should be a no-brainer to just include the absolute minimal cost of this valuable tool into the overall cost of the project.

I have just deployed this amazingly rational and sensible viewpoint with the other senior partner for bbk household decisions. You may insert your own family fortunes incorrect answer sound effect here.

You're not supposed to ask, you're supposed to just slide it into the budget under the "Miscellaneous" line item.

*Legion* wrote:

You're not supposed to ask, you're supposed to just slide it into the budget under the "Miscellaneous" line item.

Do you work for the government?

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/...

New OLED models announced in 512GB and 1TB variations. Slightly upgraded battery (50Whr Vs 40Whr) and WiFi 6E.

The 64GB and 512GB LCD versions are being phased out and are reduced price while stocks last.

There's also a Limited Edition version of the 1TB OLED featuring 'a different colorway', whatever that is, but it's only going to be available in the US and Canada.

The colorway is the case color design.

Happy that screen snobs will have the option going forward. Personally I've found the complaints about the screen totally overblown. The extra storage on the base model is nice, but SD card storage is cheap, can't say I've found it a problem on mine. The big thing that has me saying I wish they'd had that when I bought mine is the battery, but even then, an extra 25% capacity would be nice to have, but doesn't really change the math much when it comes to what games I feel good playing on battery vs. which ones have me running for a power outlet so fast that I might as well stay tethered to the wall.

This concludes my regularly-scheduled dose of copium about why this new thing that I can't justify to myself isn't all that great and I totally don't need it. (-:

In other news, I have discovered that one of my all-time favorite games of the PS4 / Xbox One era, Shadow of War, plays amazingly on the Deck. I sense many hours running around slaughtering and/or enslaving totally unnecessary numbers of orcs in my future.

Finally got mine the other day, having a lot of fun with it.