Horizon: Forbidden West - Disassemble all

Pages

The nuance of facial expressions in Burning Shores has been great. I enjoyed the main story and now I'm just spending time finishing up the collection aspects. I second zeroKFE; Aloy and Seyka were awesome in so many ways (particularly what they said in the spoiler). I'm so excited for the third game of the trilogy, even if its going to be a few years.

I am at 41% of the trophies in Forbidden West. I don't get to play for extended periods, so games like Elden Ring are hard for me to get into. The checklist style of this and Tsushima, both of which I got through PS Plus have been really relaxing and enjoyable. That whole PS+ thing has hardcore paid off for me. Looking forward to finishing the game. Not sure how completionist I'll go. I still need to finish the PSVR2 game as well.

Edit: Oh, I also really find the US water war future the game predicts fascinating. I would bet something along those lines is gonna happen in my lifetime.

Quote is not edit

Really wasn’t sure how I’d feel about this game. I know a lot of people are down on it and I wasn’t sure if I could get into a ‘handholdy, check list’ game after Elden Ring but more and more I realise that open world games really, really do it for me (especially if they are a fantasy I’m into like Ghost of Tsushima or Horizon) and I’m not put off by being guided through a world.

The complexity in everything from traps to skills isn’t what I want in a game. I don’t want to be wondering if I’m wearing the right clothes or using the right weapon variant to optimise my chances of survival so the question will be whether I can muddle through with my usual woeful inefficiency and still enjoy fights.

Saving graces for me so far are the fidelity of the world and the exceptional thought and care that’s gone into everything from costumes to buildings. The people all feel like real individuals and are gorgeously rendered and animated. I’m dying more than I’d like in fights and often in ways that feel sudden and random but when I win it’s extremely satisfying and the core of the game for me, fighting weird and wonderful robots, is, if anything, more fun than the first game.

Higgledy wrote:

Really wasn’t sure how I’d feel about this game. I know a lot of people are down on it and I wasn’t sure if I could get into a ‘handholdy, check list’ game after Elden Ring but more and more I realise that open world games really, really do it for me (especially if they are a fantasy I’m into like Ghost of Tsushima or Horizon) and I’m not put off by being guided through a world.

The complexity in everything from traps to skills isn’t what I want in a game. I don’t want to be wondering if I’m wearing the right clothes or using the right weapon variant to optimise my chances of survival so the question will be whether I can muddle through with my usual woeful inefficiency and still enjoy fights.

Saving graces for me so far are the fidelity of the world and the exceptional thought and care that’s gone into everything from costumes to buildings. The people all feel like real individuals and are gorgeously rendered and animated. I’m dying more than I’d like in fights and often in ways that feel sudden and random but when I win it’s extremely satisfying and the core of the game for me, fighting weird and wonderful robots, is, if anything, more fun than the first game.

I would highly recommend fiddling with the difficulty settings, possibly setting them all to “Easy” for a good experience. The setting names carry a lot of unnecessary baggage, so it can be difficult to talk about this without raising a lot of hackles, but if you’re not actively matching elements or playing the powers/skills portion of the game, then I think it’s fair to dial down the HP and damage numbers by a lot in your own favor.

This isn’t unfair because skill combinations increase your damage by as much as 500% or more. If anything, dialing it down to “Easy” everything doesn’t compensate you enough. I hope you have a great time playing this wonderful game.

Great advice. Thanks LarryC. I’ve been trying to stick with the normal difficulty because I enjoy some push back but it does feel like many enemies are tougher than I’d expect them to be and I it can get a bit frustrating.

Higgledy wrote:

Great advice. Thanks LarryC. I’ve been trying to stick with the normal difficulty because I enjoy some push back but it does feel like many enemies are tougher than I’d expect them to be and I it can get a bit frustrating.

I like to give myself a challenge in the second play-through. But for the first-time playthrough, I've always gone with the easy mode so I can actually enjoy the story. You can also turn on "Easy Loot" to help you find the items you need for upgrading your armor. I highly recommend that so you don't have to spend a lot of time grinding for a specific item.

Great. Thanks.

Dominic Knight wrote:

You can also turn on "Easy Loot" to help you find the items you need for upgrading your armor. I highly recommend that so you don't have to spend a lot of time grinding for a specific item.

That's the one setting change I made for 99% of the game, and have zero regrets about it. I'm in the camp that it should have been the default for "Normal" or lower difficulty.

One of the things that annoyed me about this game at the beginning but that I've grown to love, and think is a huge piece of what makes it fun and replayable, is the variety of weapons available. When I first started playing I was fresh off a replay of HZD and so I wanted my Hunter bow and Sharpshot bow. What the heck did I need with a javelin or a jai-alai looking thingy or a small bow that did no damage? Dumb and too much. But the more and more I played, I started giving these new weapons a try (and also watching some things online that clued me into their potential) and I am sold. Currently I'm doing a playthrough where it's Warrior bow (small bow that does no damage...lol), Spikethrower (javelin...lol), and Shredder Gauntlet (jai-alai looking thingy...lol) only...no old school bows. I actually have to lay off the Shredder Gauntlet because it's almost too easy.

That variety and the fact that the world is really really well done is what keeps me coming back. I'll just log in sometimes and walk around and hunt...not doing any quests or anything. It's fun.

Which leads me to my one wish (gripe?). I would easily pay a monthly or quarterly fee to have a couple drops a year where a few NPCs are added to the world that have little side quests that I could keep doing. Doesn't have to be anything major, but just something that makes the wandering around a little more purposeful. And don't say where the NPCs are in the drop (and don't have markers on the map until you encounter the NPC) just have them be discoverable.

Anyway, I love this game and I envy anyone getting to play it for the first time.

The Ancestor's Return with shock ammo is hilariously broken. Does a ton of damage when upgraded/coiled, with frequent machine interrupts and the ammo is dirt cheap.

I love to go to the ice lake at night and utterly dismantle an Apex Tremortusk with a jai-alai of death.

I never got the hang of the shredder gauntlet but the javelins and the bolt thrower are great fun to use, especially against the bigger enemies.

I am watching a bit of Mad Matt Lugos playing and it seems I was almost 30 hours into the game.

But watching the lets play from 10 hours later it looks like it is still just more of the same. I wish the game had been a lot shorter. I would have loved to got to San Francisco but I can't bring myself to keep drudging away what looks to hours before I get there.

farley3k wrote:

...But watching the lets play from 10 hours later it looks like it is still just more of the same. I wish the game had been a lot shorter. I would have loved to got to San Francisco but I can't bring myself to keep drudging away what looks to hours before I get there.

You can take a very long time to finish just the base game, even if, like me, you really don't like it. I kept hoping it would turn a corner...

IMAGE(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52858745844_afbd5a8231_b.jpg)

In case anyone was curious, the PC port is extremely well done. Games looks and plays great and the world is a treat at 175 fps.

Dualsense controller works great on Win 11 too, though it does need to be connected via USB for the speaker, mic, and enhanced rumble effects to work - apparently those just aren't supported over bluetooth for Windows.

Has got it's hooks deep in me. I loved the first one too. I think this series was created specifically for me.

Rolled credits today. 100 something hours doing all the quests, upgrading some gear, and marking everything off the map. This series just resonates with me.

Excited to keep going and start the Burning Shores expansion.

Pages