NFL 2021: The preseasoning

Harry has has a "conditional 7th round pick" kind of career so far.

garion333 wrote:

What will the get for him? A 5th?

MilkmanDanimal wrote:

Harry has has a "conditional 7th round pick" kind of career so far.

I think something like a 5th would have been available on draft weekend. Some team who had a high evaluation on Harry two years ago would have taken that deal.

But now we're into July and so Harry will have missed all his new team's off-season activities. At this point I think you look at him as a guy to add to your 90 who you hope but don't necessarily expect to make your final 53.

I think conditional late round pick is about right.

CLE could use a fast WR who can’t catch when OBJ can’t play.

Brutal, Sleeper. Just brutal.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/2FVEMuW.png)

Reports are the CFL and XFL are no longer pursuing a partnership, and the XFL will be going alone. The biggest news here is today I learned people are still trying to make the XFL happen.

IMAGE(https://u.cubeupload.com/MilkmanDanimal/Fetch.jpg)

There's a Kurt Warner movie. Why is there a Kurt Warner movie? It looks like this:

IMAGE(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E5tAYMKUYAApmpu?format=jpg&name=4096x4096)

IMAGE(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E5tAqquVgAAjSy7?format=jpg&name=4096x4096)

Chuck/Shazam as Kurt Warner and Dennis Quaid as Dick Vermeil. Why?

It looks like a fake movie.

It looks like Chuck/Shazam is in a Quantum Leap reboot and he leapt into the body of a football player.

Kurt Warner's story would actually make a pretty damn good series or mini-series.

First episode is him getting cut and struggling. Second episode is his time in the AFL. Third episode is in Europe. 4th is his time as a back-up. 5th and 6th could be the 1999 season. 7th is the rest of his career with the Rams. 8th is the Giants and early Cardinals. 9th is his return to form and the Super Bowl. 10th is his final season and career ending injury. 11th deals with what he's done since then.

Unfortunately the movie will be extremely condensed, heavy handed, and, I can almost guarantee, lots of overtures to his faith.

Can we get the people who made The Blind Side to do it so Warner can be turned into someone with a mental health disorder?

UpToIsomorphism wrote:

Can we get the people who made The Blind Side to do it so Warner can be turned into someone with a mental health disorder?

And make the focus on the white woman? I guess that part is already mostly covered.

Looking forward to seeing how they show the University of Northern Iowa in this movie; will it be wheat fields? Arid scrubland? Some warm fuzzy little old-school liberal arts college town?

Can I get a cameo in this? I shopped at that Hy-Vee when Kurt Warner worked there, and we undoubtedly had some conversations late at night.

Awesome. Now Kevin James's Bountygate movie doesn't have to worry about being the worst new football film.

If I have to sit through a movie of fake Kurt Warner praising Jeebus for his wins, I'm going to lose it. I already have Tim f*cking Tebow to deal with over here.

iaintgotnopants wrote:

It looks like Chuck/Shazam is in a Quantum Leap reboot and he leapt into the body of a football player.

"Sam, Ziggy says you need to convert this 3rd and long in order to leap out of here!"

MilkmanDanimal wrote:

Reports are the CFL and XFL are no longer pursuing a partnership, and the XFL will be going alone. The biggest news here is today I learned people are still trying to make the XFL happen.

My hopes now all lie with the new USFL. Have to give the CEO credit for what he's done with the Spring League. Started as that glorified scouting combine, grew to playing a 6-week (+ championship) schedule on TV this year, and even having COVID delay that inaugural "real" season a full year didn't bring the whole operation down.

It sounds like that Spring League competitive season is what's turning into the USFL, with the Spring League itself going back to the combine format. FOX Sports must have liked what they got out of this Spring League season. Hopefully everyone's expectations are appropriately managed.

Of course, the Spring League's secret sauce is not actually paying players. Players pay an application fee (waived if they've been to an NFL training camp) and then they get meals and housing if they're picked to participate. At some point, this will have to cross the bridge into actually paying players.

They're doing it for exposure?

Vector wrote:

They're doing it for exposure?

Basically. Though it's not really different than a player outside the league training to try and get a camp invite.

Supposedly over 100 players from Spring League have "signed NFL contracts", so quite a few guys are at least getting signed to training camp rosters.

I assume the endgame for TSL/USFL is keeping the doors open until the league can get into an NFL Europe style player-assignment arrangement with the NFL. Something that the NFL was apparently starting to talk about with the AAF until that league got murdered from within.

*Legion* wrote:

Awesome. Now Kevin James's Bountygate movie doesn't have to worry about being the worst new football film.

If I have to sit through a movie of fake Kurt Warner praising Jeebus for his wins, I'm going to lose it. I already have Tim f*cking Tebow to deal with over here.

Wasn't Mark Brunell even wackier then that?

I refuse to acknowledge any flaws in Santa Maria legend Mark Brunell.

*Legion* wrote:

If I have to sit through a movie of fake Kurt Warner praising Jeebus for his wins, I'm going to lose it.

Looking into it further, the production company is called Kingdom Story Company and a pair of directors that only make Christian movies. So...

And Adam Baldwin is also in it.

iaintgotnopants wrote:
*Legion* wrote:

If I have to sit through a movie of fake Kurt Warner praising Jeebus for his wins, I'm going to lose it.

Looking into it further, the production company is called Kingdom Story Company and a pair of directors that only make Christian movies. So...

And Adam Baldwin is also in it.

And there it is.

So, Kirk Cameron as Ricky Proehl? Kevin Sorbo as Ken Whisenhunt? Dean Cain in blackface as Larry Fitzgerald?

There's some guy whose name is literally OJ Simpson playing Marshall Faulk. Like come on.

*Legion* wrote:
iaintgotnopants wrote:
*Legion* wrote:

If I have to sit through a movie of fake Kurt Warner praising Jeebus for his wins, I'm going to lose it.

Looking into it further, the production company is called Kingdom Story Company and a pair of directors that only make Christian movies. So...

And Adam Baldwin is also in it.

And there it is.

So, Kirk Cameron as Ricky Proehl? Kevin Sorbo as Ken Whisenhunt? Dean Cain in blackface as Larry Fitzgerald?

Randy Quaid as John Madden?

In today's utterly awful news, Barkevious Mingo has been charged with a felony; sexual contact with a child. And I mean utterly awful; if there has ever been a story needing a trigger warning, it's this; SI has a disturbingly detailed story about him assaulting a teenage boy it sounds like he was grooming.

Jesus. F*cking. Christ.

Ick.

Humanity sucks.

F*ck off. God damn it. Makes me so angry.

It is so hard to watch sports with so many truly deplorable people in sports.

This is humanity.

FO has an excellent article about, well:

Legends of DVOA: The Life and Times of Charlie Garner

Good stuff that helps take one's mind off the other recent NFL ... news ....

The Derrick Mason one is good as well, especially with the bit of shade it throws on those Fisher-era Titans and the eternally overrated Eddie George.

And then we get some classic championship 49ers with the Brent Jones one.