NFL 2021: The preseasoning

John Lynch was on a PFF podcast, and he said that, as he and Shanahan were on the plane returning from Justin Fields' Pro Day, Kyle was on his iPad drawing up plays... for Trey Lance.

Get you a girl who looks at you the way Kyle looked at Trey the whole time. Get wrecked Michael Lombardi.

Oh this is juicy stuff. It's like an OG_slinger post, but sports.

Vinatieri retired today, announcing it live on Pat McAfee's show. Gonna say while it's hard for a specialist to get into the HOF, they'll make an exception for him.

Good grief, it just never ends

There is nothing I can say about y JT e above that wouldn’t get me banned out this entire thread moved to pc.

On other topics, why does Julio want to go to Tenn or NE? Is there some underlying reason other than dude wants to be coached by Bill or the only Bill-adjacent guy in the NFL?

Because I’ll be honest, if thought of myself as a top tier WR you could have me name 20 NFL teams I would want to play for Andy I don’t know if those two make the list.

UpToIsomorphism wrote:

On other topics, why does Julio want to go to Tenn or NE? Is there some underlying reason other than dude wants to be coached by Bill or the only Bill-adjacent guy in the NFL?

Because I’ll be honest, if thought of myself as a top tier WR you could have me name 20 NFL teams I would want to play for Andy I don’t know if those two make the list.

Because, first and foremost, he wants to go somewhere that can pay his salary. That knocks about 2/3rds of the teams out of the running right off the bat.

Then when you consider teams that don't have a desperate need at WR, that knocks some of the remaining 1/3rd off the list (or at least knocks them down the list).

Teams often prefer to move their big-name players out of conference, so for the Falcons, AFC teams like New England and Tennessee are most attractive.

Packers sign a WR.

DeAndre Hopkins.

*Rereads headline*

DeAndre Thompkins. I repeat Thompkins.

jowner wrote:

DeAndre Hopkins.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/lGvwoBI.png)

DeAndre Thompkins.

Maybe they have a shot at Julio Janes or Stephone Diggs. Never know.

We met with Specter and turned over all our data from the XOS business (my good friend who was our CEO in residence was the current CEO at XOS and in a prior life was the President of the Sixers and Flyers) we owned at the time and was used by almost all the NFL teams (including the Patriots). We showed him how we believed the Patriots used sideline film during the game to match the signals to the plays during halftime to get a really good idea of what plays are being called. If you include the fact they also filmed walkthroughs and practices its basically a slam dunk that they had a tremendous advantage for 3 of their Super Bowl wins.

100% they cheated and 100% the NFL decided to bury it rather than face the embarrassment and fallout of now having a 3 time SB champion exposed. At no time did the NFL ever reach out to talk to anyone at XOS.. so their investigation was completely fugazi.

Legion would have loved our office back then we had a full XOS system in one of our conference rooms and my buddy would send us the Eagles game film so we could go over it ourselves.. shame we had to give it back when we sold the business.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:

Maybe they have a shot at Julio Janes or Stephone Diggs. Never know.

Maybe Andy Moss or Gerry Rice will come out of retirement.

jowner wrote:

Packers sign a WR.

DeAndre Hopkins.

*Rereads headline*

DeAndre Thompkins. I repeat Thompkins.

Someone needed to massage that headline.

I wrote up a story today on Janoris Jenkins getting his car stolen (You parked a $250K Rolls-Royce in the ECONOMY lot?!?!?!) and it took all of my self-control not to use this as the accompanying photo:

IMAGE(https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/bisi-johnson-of-the-minnesota-vikings-moves-past-janoris-jenkins-of-picture-id1293090322?s=2048x2048)

Latest rumor is Julio to Seahawks.

Julio is theory is an upgrade for any team but not really sure if he helps the Seahawks all that much.

Wilson will still be running for his life trying not to get decapitated.

It definitely would be a heavy investment at the WR position.

They just spent their top draft pick (a 2nd, because of the Jamal Adams trade) on D'Wayne Eskridge.

Tyler Lockett is the 10th highest paid WR in the league, and he arguably slides to #3 WR in this scenario, given that DK is the team's yardage leader (Lockett slightly beats him on targets, but obviously he's getting targeted a lot shallower on average).

DK and Julio outside plus Lockett and Eskridge inside would be some strong 4-wide personnel, but does anybody see Pete Carroll coaching a team with a 10-personnel, Kliff Kingsbury style offense?

I have a hard time seeing them sideline Eskridge when he's the top pick of their tiny 3-man draft class, and the other two guys were 4th and 6th rounders. They need value out of that pick.

Seattle feels like they're in that glut of teams that could take Julio at the right price, but don't seem desperate enough at the position to end up being the winning bidders. Same reason I'm not buying San Francisco as buyers either, and they have a lot more cap to work with than Seattle (both this year and especially next year once Garoppolo is off the books).

That said, I may be underestimating the arms race mentality of the NFC West. There's zero question which division of football is the most interesting entering the 2021 season. Assuming the Niners can actually keep their roster on the field this season, that division will be a bloodbath.

Seattle will get him and still run the ball 65% of the time.

garion333 wrote:

Seattle will get him and still run the ball 65% of the time.

But still lose a Super Bowl because they can't hand the ball off to a Hall of Fame running back when it matters.

Paleocon wrote:
garion333 wrote:

Seattle will get him and still run the ball 65% of the time.

But still lose a Super Bowl because they can't hand the ball off to a Hall of Fame running back when it matters.

*Laughs in Papi Le Batard*

I know nothing about contracts and salary cap matters, but doesn't Jordan Love and like Valdes Scantling for Julio Jones solve all of the problems?

Carlbear95 wrote:

I know nothing about contracts and salary cap matters, but doesn't Jordan Love and like Valdes Scantling for Julio Jones solve all of the problems?

I don't know if Atlanta wants that back lol.

If the Packers wanted to move on from Love at this point I have no clue what his value would even be.

A 3rd? A 7th? I feel like teams would just shrug and be more interested in future QBs to draft.

Or Minshew. Honestly curious where he will land and actually think he has some kind of NFL career.

Edit: Wrong thread.

49ers cut Buccaneers legend Josh Johnson, because there's room for only one Josh QB, and it's Rosen Time.

One less QB between Rosen and the roster.

Now all the Niners have to do is discover that they traded three years of draft capital on a few magic beans with a few good workouts.

Wow

Josh Johnson; drafted in 2009, 268 career passes.

Chase Daniel; drafted in 2010, 261 career passes.

Somewhere, Josh McCown nods in approval.

UpToIsomorphism wrote:

Now all the Niners have to do is discover that they traded three years of draft capital on a few magic beans with a few good workouts.

Worst case scenario, in a few years the team can offer him up in a trade package along with an injured prima donna receiver and a 2nd.

*Legion* wrote:
UpToIsomorphism wrote:

Now all the Niners have to do is discover that they traded three years of draft capital on a few magic beans with a few good workouts.

Worst case scenario, in a few years the team can offer him up in a trade package along with an injured prima donna receiver and a 2nd.

Maybe he can move to tight end and be an inspiration in the locker room.

*Legion* wrote:

Buccaneers legend Josh

I got to this point and was very surprised that the post didn't have a picture. Then I saw the last name and was disappointed.

Paleocon wrote:

Maybe he can move to tight end and be an inspiration in the locker room.

Only one of my teams is that stupid, thankyouverymuch.