Even at our boldest, none of us could have seen the dumpster fire that was 2020. But that’s no reason to hold back now; 2021 is our year! Spectacular glory and sensational defeat await!
Be sure to check out the latest Conference Call, as the hosts review their former predictions and prognosticate on the year ahead. Then, take a look back to the before times to see how your own predictions held up to the pandemic.
Join us, won’t you? Declare your bold predictions in the comments. The bolder, the better! As always, we’ll lock the thread in a few weeks. Enjoy!
Shawn “Certis” Andrich
- Nintendo: No Breath of the Wild 2 this year, but there will be a Switch Pro in Q4 that costs $399, launching alongside Mario Kart 9.
- Microsoft: Once the dust settles in 2021, the new Xbox consoles will have outsold the PS5.
- Sony: Sony will buy From Software.
- Epic Games will buy Remedy Entertainment.
- Diablo 4 will not launch this year, but the Diablo 2 remake and Diablo Immortal for mobile will release in 2021.
- Bethesta’s Starfield will be released by the end of the year.
Amanda “Amoebic” Knowlton
- Sony will release a PlayStation Pro with slightly more storage. They will spend way too much time marketing and showcasing the new color palette, but it will still be that stupid shape.
- Following in the success of AOC playing Among Us, a few games-inexperienced politicians or politics-adjacent figures will attempt a games stream. Someone will infiltrate their stream, leading to an abrupt disconnect and a PR nightmare.
- The next, big streaming platform will be in VR.
- Furries and VTubers will be instrumental in subverting the cultural status quo (similar to what Kpop Stans did in 2020).
- At least one VTuber will make it into the cultural public mainstream in North America.
Allen “DarthGrimace” Cook
- We will see a new installment of a LucasArts adventure game property.
- Star Wars: Squadrons 2 will be announced.
- A number of developers will close or get bought out by the major platform companies, returning us to a world of console exclusives.
- Movie theaters will partner with an eSports league for viewings of a tournament.
Rich “The Joyconjurer” Lovejoy
- The Switch Pro will be delayed, but it will debut in 2022 with Breath of the Wild 2 as a launch title.
Pushing my Luck: Twitch gets an app onto the Switch. Switching and Twitching is no longer something naughty, but now also something wholesome.
- The PS5 Pro is announced right around the same time that launch PS5s become widely available.
Pushing my Luck: Xbox Series X-2X becomes the worst named piece of hardware in history.
- Nvidia is quietly doing amazing things. Their game streaming service is poised to eat Stadia’s lunch. This is the year Nvidia becomes as big a name in gaming as Epic.
Pushing my Luck: Nvidia acquires a larger company or creates their own storefront. Nobody expects the Nvidia Nquisition!
- VR settles into being a fun, niche hobby, which is the very reason its popularity explodes.
Pushing my Luck: A prominent TV show or film will utilize VR in a cool way, either as a viewing enhancement or as a narrative plot point. This helps drive VR’s success.
- It turns out Elden Ring has already been released and is an ARG that we’ve all been playing without realizing it.
Pushing my Luck: The real Elden Ring is the friends we’ve Zoom’d along the way.
- Sony or Microsoft will follow the precedent set by the President of Nintendo of America, Doug Bowser, by featuring a business leader named after one of their flagship villains.
Pushing my Luck: Introducing PlayStation Santa Monica President, Bethany Robot-Dinosaur!
- We’ll see the first LAARRPGs (Live Action Augmented Reality Roleplaying Games).
Pushing my Luck: It won’t be based on any current TTRPGs or LARPs, but the IP will have its roots in video games.
- The PS5's first big-name disappointment is HZD: Forbidden West. The first big-name hit in 2021 is Returnal.
Pushing my Luck: Solar Ash ends up being the big surprise hit, actually.
- A trailer for Dragon Age IV drops, and it contains the phrase: “If you’re going to make an omelet, you need to break a few eggs.”
Pushing my Luck: Omelet Season gets a release date for December 2022. They miss this date.
Glendon “Staygold” Hass
- Overwatch 2 will release in March, but will be only the PVP expansion with new modes and new characters. The PVE portion will be delayed indefinitely and eventually rebranded into an entirely new property.
- Feeling pressure from Epic, Steam begins weekly game giveaways.
- The shortages and general unavailability of graphics cards and consoles will continue into 2022.
- This will be the year of the RTS revival. No less than 3 RTSs will place on the 2021 GWJ Community Games of the Year list.
Aaron “TurboHoodie” Amendola
- Sony will purchase two of the following studios: Cardboard Computer, Night School, or Mobius Digital.
- A new Doom movie based on Doom Eternal will be announced.
- Dead Space Remaster will be announced, signaling a reboot of the franchise and a shift to first person perspective.
- Mario dies
- Lucasfilm Games announces their own crossover title that combines characters from Full Throttle, Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, and more into a huge, puzzle-adventure. It will be developed by Don’t Nod Entertainment.
- Breath of the Wild 2 will release in time for Christmas and will feature Zelda as a playable alternative to Link, but only during certain portions of the game.
- The Switch Pro will finally get a release date to coincide with the release of Breath of the Wild 2. It will feature higher resolutions (both docked and handheld), Bluetooth audio support, but will return to 3-4 hours of battery life.
- The long-awaited Metroid game on Switch will get a full trailer and a release date for March 2022.
- Epic Games will continue to hand out free games weekly throughout the year, but the pace of repeat offerings will go up significantly.
- The Switch will release its own VR headset: a set of proprietary rubber bands that you use to attach the Switch to your face.
- The Elder Scrolls 6 will be announced as a Microsoft exclusive. Related: I will finally get an Xbox.
- Valve will finally release Half-Life 3, and it's a battle royale game.
- Rockstar announces a new IP that finally synergises its content with Rockstar’s game controls: Oil Tanker. If you liked the campside chats in RDR 2, well, there's plenty more where that came from! The tanker crew has to while away weeks at sea with the tanker on auto-pilot. There'll be minigames aplenty! Plus, a deal with Amazon will let you stream movies in-game. And no fast travel.
- All sports games will re-release the 2021 version of their game as the 2022 version, just with reduced crowd sizes and masks.
- Obsidian or Bethesda will announce that Fallout: New Vegas is being remastered. Failing that, I will try to play it on the PlayStation streaming service.
- Hideo Kojima announces his next game: one where you control a camera and just get to look at Norman Reedus in 4K as he goes about his day.