Biomutant Catch-All

Vector wrote:

Kind of annoying that the game is out but I don't have my key from GreenmanGaming yet.

First time I’ve ever had an issue with them not being ready on time for release date

staygold wrote:
Vector wrote:

Kind of annoying that the game is out but I don't have my key from GreenmanGaming yet.

First time I’ve ever had an issue with them not being ready on time for release date

Same here. Technically the game releases on PC at 1pm EST but GMG usually releases a game earlier than the start time.

DeThroned wrote:

I thought this was a global release at the same time. How did you guys get to play early? I'm looking forward to playing tonight. What I've watched on Twitch and read up on seems really cool.

I’m playing on Xbox. I don’t know why, but it just unlocked early evening eastern time, so I played it

IUMogg wrote:

The way they handle dialogue is very annoying. When you talk to someone, you hear them say stuff in gibberish and then the narrator translates. It makes things take twice as long.

I think I figured this out - it is a lot cheaper to pay one guy to do all the English dialogue than have a bunch of voice actors. So any person - probably the whole 20 person team did a bit - can say gibberish. Then the one person they have to pay for voice work does all the talking.

It probably also helps with tone, clarity etc. I mean voice acting can be tough to get right. We all have games where a character just is horrible and it can be annoying. So having one person who does it well and they do everything is probably safer.

So I put in an hour or so and it is exactly what I expected. It isn't that polished, has way to many systems for to few rewards and is clunky a lot but that reminds me of some of my favorite games - Gothic being one it reminds me of a lot in the clunky aspect.

I am enjoying it quite a bit. I keep thinking of Horizon: Zero Dawn which probably isn't surprising but it is does have a world that feels similar in its approach to the post apocalypse.

So yeah, I just streamed this for two hours, and that’s two hours of my life I’ll never get back. This is TERRIBLE. I feel bad because you could tell they’re trying, but OMG in those two hours I think I actually PLAYED the game for about thirty minutes. SO MANY CUTSCENES.

I think my biggest problem is the way they handle dialogue. There’s a nonsense, animal language, which is fine, but then there’s lovely-voiced translator that reads everything to you, the player, in English, so you basically hear everything twice and IT IS SUCH A WASTE OF f*ckING TIME. This game loves to waste my time, really. I think it does. It’s so PROUD of its worldbuilding and dialogue that I’m at a point where I DON’T CARE.

And y’all aren’t Lewis Carroll, stop with the poorly-made-up nonsense words. What the f*ck is a “Vanquisition”?! GAH I’m so angry at the time I just wasted with this.

Seemed like a pretty normal tutorial section to me. Probably needs a skip tutorial option for the streaming crowd though.

I like the fluidity of the movement.

In presentation and UI choices, it feels like a game from an earlier era.

Update on GMG: for PC there was no preload of the game which is why they haven't sent keys out yet, because they haven't received them yet either. The anticipation is they release 5-10 minutes before 1pm EST.

Edit on Update: got my key!

staygold wrote:

Update on GMG: for PC there was no preload of the game which is why they haven't sent keys out yet, because they haven't received them yet either. The anticipation is they release 5-10 minutes before 1pm EST.

That's exactly what I thought was going on. Weird since I thought there was a preload on Steam.

Edit: Got my key too.

Vector wrote:
staygold wrote:

Update on GMG: for PC there was no preload of the game which is why they haven't sent keys out yet, because they haven't received them yet either. The anticipation is they release 5-10 minutes before 1pm EST.

That's exactly what I thought was going on. Weird since I thought there was a preload on Steam.

Can confirm there is no Steam preload. Have the game in my library but no option to install yet.

Finally got my key from GMG.
I won't be able to preload until 430

fangblackbone wrote:

Finally got my key from GMG.
I won't be able to preload until 430 :(

This is why I remote desktop into my home PC.

Yeah, I would do that too but I am a contractor working on a locked down surface laptop pro

I have good net connection so it will only be saving me ~20 minutes worth of download time...

Veloxi wrote:

So yeah, I just streamed this for two hours, and that’s two hours of my life I’ll never get back. This is TERRIBLE. I feel bad because you could tell they’re trying, but OMG in those two hours I think I actually PLAYED the game for about thirty minutes. SO MANY CUTSCENES.

I think my biggest problem is the way they handle dialogue. There’s a nonsense, animal language, which is fine, but then there’s lovely-voiced translator that reads everything to you, the player, in English, so you basically hear everything twice and IT IS SUCH A WASTE OF f*ckING TIME. This game loves to waste my time, really. I think it does. It’s so PROUD of its worldbuilding and dialogue that I’m at a point where I DON’T CARE.

And y’all aren’t Lewis Carroll, stop with the poorly-made-up nonsense words. What the f*ck is a “Vanquisition”?! GAH I’m so angry at the time I just wasted with this.

I had a similar initial response though not as extreme. (My initial i impressions are on the last page). The first couple hours do the game no favors. I was pretty negative on it at that point. I did play a few more hours and my experience got much better. Especially as the game opened up. I do agree the dialogue with the narrator translating is godawful. I don’t mind that the characters aren’t voiced, but at least have the narrator talking while the gibberish is going on.

I would recommend giving it another chance though it sounds like you might already be too sour on the game.

I forgot someone clipped when I just gave up this morning.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlatantAnnoy...

Veloxi wrote:

I forgot someone clipped when I just gave up this morning.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlatantAnnoy...

"I'm in a f*cking cave!"

Veloxi wrote:

I forgot someone clipped when I just gave up this morning.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlatantAnnoy...

I had zero problems punching through the wall. There's a tutorial tip that pops up and tells you how.

This is definitely a game that benefits from main-lining for a bit as you unlock abilities and timesavers just by playing through (i.e. mounts, more weapons, extra abilities). I'm really really enjoying the melee combat. Playing as an Evil Mercenary 1-punch build and have found my absolute sweet-spot already a couple hours in where it's pretty easy to get into a fight, build up my Wung-Fu charge, and obliterate the battle field.

I'm interested to see how the "Bad" path plays out given the game makes it abundantly clear that's the WRONG choice. So far I'm just a dick to everyone but wanted to try something different given I go the Paragon path 99 times out of 100

staygold wrote:
Veloxi wrote:

I forgot someone clipped when I just gave up this morning.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlatantAnnoy...

I had zero problems punching through the wall. There's a tutorial tip that pops up and tells you how.

Yup, saw that. Thought I was doing what it told me to do but apparently I f*cked up.

Veloxi wrote:
staygold wrote:
Veloxi wrote:

I forgot someone clipped when I just gave up this morning.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlatantAnnoy...

I had zero problems punching through the wall. There's a tutorial tip that pops up and tells you how.

Yup, saw that. Thought I was doing what it told me to do but apparently I f*cked up.

Funny clip. Are you playing it again? Or you done for good?

Done for good. Too many other games to play to waste time on this one.

Really bummed about the magic controls for this game. (hold middle mouse and press a key? really?)
Probably going to put this away for now too.

fangblackbone wrote:

Really bummed about the magic controls for this game. (hold middle mouse and press a key? really?)
Probably going to put this away for now too.

It's a game that needs a controller to function well. Swapped over 5 minutes in and haven't looked back.

fangblackbone wrote:

Yeah, I would do that too but I am a contractor working on a locked down surface laptop pro

I have good net connection so it will only be saving me ~20 minutes worth of download time...

Chrome Remote Desktop can be used from a Chrome browser and (more importantly) from your phone.

Good to know

staygold wrote:
fangblackbone wrote:

Really bummed about the magic controls for this game. (hold middle mouse and press a key? really?)
Probably going to put this away for now too.

It's a game that needs a controller to function well. Swapped over 5 minutes in and haven't looked back.

As with most games you can rebind the key to something more comfortable.

I’m still having some fun with the game but I also think this Tom Chick review is pretty accurate.

After roughly 3 hours the only thing I dont like is the narration, it has a detrimental effect to the basic feel of the game, like someone is telling you a story instead of you experiencing and interpreting events firsthand. Ive got him turned all the way down but it doesnt matter, hes built into the game at a foundational level. Misguided design choice but at least his voice is pleasant, just something to get used to I guess.

staygold wrote:
fangblackbone wrote:

Really bummed about the magic controls for this game. (hold middle mouse and press a key? really?)
Probably going to put this away for now too.

It's a game that needs a controller to function well. Swapped over 5 minutes in and haven't looked back.

Same. I wanted to see what it was like with kbm, but went right to my new controller after just a few minutes and mapped the buttons in a way that made better sense to me.

Couple of pics, one of my initial build and the other with a cool mount I found after a brief fight with Lupin.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/IWRaIA5.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/iZhdAyh.jpg)

garion333 wrote:
fangblackbone wrote:

Yeah, I would do that too but I am a contractor working on a locked down surface laptop pro

I have good net connection so it will only be saving me ~20 minutes worth of download time...

Chrome Remote Desktop can be used from a Chrome browser and (more importantly) from your phone.

This is exactly what I use.

I'm roleplaying Rocket Raccoon.

So, after a few hours of play, I'm enjoying this quite a bit. Unlike some of the more common comments I've seen all over the place, I actually enjoy the narration. Go figure.