[Discussion] Police, White Nationalists, and the Rise of Fascism

Pages

I almost can't believe I'm going to try to give this messed-up, corrupt system the benefit of the doubt, but maybe they are not releasing the video to keep it limited for a grand jury or at least to not give prejudice to a potential jury pool?

I mean at this point it's not prejudicial, it's just noticing facts, but maybe....

croaker wrote:
Baron Of Hell wrote:
Stele wrote:

NC judge rules to not release body camera footage for Andrew Brown shooting.

That is code for "police guilty as f#$k".

The footage will eventually become public when the inevitable trial happens, presumably. It seems to me that the adage of the coverup being worse than the original sin should be followed.

Isn't that normally how evidence to be presented at trial goes? It's not public domain, it's evidence for the court?

The whole point of body cameras, and also people filming the police, is that their interactions with citizens are public. There's no good reason for them to hide this.

They are supposed to release to the family at least. And just like the first release yesterday, the family will tell the press what they saw. But this game of telephone is just obfuscating the truth.

The autopsy is bad enough. Shot in the arm, killed by a shot to the back of the head. Back windshield shot out. An unharmed man fleeing after the police opened fire and not a threat.

Atras wrote:

I almost can't believe I'm going to try to give this messed-up, corrupt system the benefit of the doubt, but maybe they are not releasing the video to keep it limited for a grand jury or at least to not give prejudice to a potential jury pool?

The judge also specifically said he was withholding the footage because he was concerned about the safety of the people in the video. Considering the only other non-cop there was riddled with cop bullets what the judge was really saying was "anyone who saw this video would see it for what it was and would want those deputies to pay for what they did."

I can think of no other profession, paid for/employed by its citizens, that gets so much of a free pass when it comes to behaviors. Continually depressing.

The fourth amendment was created to prevent this type of thing. Can we just get back to observing and obeying the fourth amendment please?

OG_slinger wrote:
Atras wrote:

I almost can't believe I'm going to try to give this messed-up, corrupt system the benefit of the doubt, but maybe they are not releasing the video to keep it limited for a grand jury or at least to not give prejudice to a potential jury pool?

The judge also specifically said he was withholding the footage because he was concerned about the safety of the people in the video. Considering the only other non-cop there was riddled with cop bullets what the judge was really saying was "anyone who saw this video would see it for what it was and would want those deputies to pay for what they did."

Wow, I did not know that. f*ck them, then.

RawkGWJ wrote:

The fourth amendment was created to prevent this type of thing. Can we just get back to observing and obeying the fourth amendment please?

croaker wrote:
Baron Of Hell wrote:
Stele wrote:

NC judge rules to not release body camera footage for Andrew Brown shooting.

That is code for "police guilty as f#$k".

The footage will eventually become public when the inevitable trial happens, presumably. It seems to me that the adage of the coverup being worse than the original sin should be followed.

this is north carolina. any charges will die behind a sealed grand jury

Black Female Cops Tell Us About the Culture of Policing

Good luck with that. Cops here in Portland have received similar orders about half a dozen times by officials at the city, state, and federal levels, and each time they either ignore the orders or get around them by calling in cops from a neighboring jurisdiction to gas people for them.

Run "amok" is the most old-timey judge way of describing police using lethal methods on nonviolent protestors and BIPOC doing absolutely nothing.

Yeah every time things escalated in Louisville last year, LMPD were the instigators.

Oh FFS!

The legal team for former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, who was convicted of murdering George Floyd last month, has filed a motion in a Minneapolis court requesting a new trial on multiple grounds, including jury misconduct.

In the filing, Chauvin’s attorney says the former officer should have a new trial in the "interests of justice; abuse of discretion that deprived the Defendant of a fair trial; prosecutorial and jury misconduct; errors of law at trial; and a verdict that is contrary to law."

Nevin73 wrote:

Oh FFS!

The legal team for former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, who was convicted of murdering George Floyd last month, has filed a motion in a Minneapolis court requesting a new trial on multiple grounds, including jury misconduct.

In the filing, Chauvin’s attorney says the former officer should have a new trial in the "interests of justice; abuse of discretion that deprived the Defendant of a fair trial; prosecutorial and jury misconduct; errors of law at trial; and a verdict that is contrary to law."

this was always going to happen.

Defense attorneys probably do that stuff all the time, as long as they're being paid to turn over every legal stone.

LouZiffer wrote:

Defense attorneys probably do that stuff all the time, as long as they're being paid by the billable hour.

LouZiffer wrote:

Defense attorneys probably do that stuff all the time, as long as they're being paid to turn over every legal stone.

IANAL, but there's probably an argument that they'd be negligent not to. Gotta try every avenue to defend your client, no?

Given my recent experiences (probate stuff), I'd guess they are being paid by the *minute*...

Sun Herald: Mississippi police shoot more than 20 rounds at car in fatal I-10 pursuit, video shows

A motorist captured video of Coast law enforcement officials firing more than 20 shots at the car of a double murder suspect from Louisiana who died as a result.

The shooting happened after the suspect, Eric Derell Smith, of Baton Rouge, led police on a vehicle pursuit that began in Baton Rouge and ended in Harrison County. Smith’s infant son was inside the car.

Smith died of multiple gunshot wounds at the scene and the infant suffered critical injuries. The baby died of his injuries at a Mobile hospital early Tuesday morning.
East Baton Rouge Sheriff Sid Gautreaux had said early on “our top priority is locating that child safely.”

That's a sh*t headline.

Police execute suspect and infant.

Or a million other horrible ways to say it.

Edit: holy f*ck watched the video now and it is even worse than described. I was imagining some high speed chase. But this was after the car was stationary in the median. And the police bullsh*t lie was that the suspect was fleeing from the vehicle. But the goddamn doors are all closed. Straight up execution. f*cking cops.

Edit: You know what, clever or not, this was arguably in poor taste. I don't feel good about it. Deleting.

hbi2k wrote:
East Baton Rouge Sheriff Sid Gautreaux had said early on “our top priority is locating that child safely.”

EDITed to match post

Spoilered for darkness:

Spoiler:

Headline: Black Youth Tried As an Adult

It's amazing and sad at how copy editors are tying themselves up in knots just so they don't have to say "cops murder an infant."

There are reports that the suspect opened fire first but that’s hard to tell in the video. But I’m amazed at how cowboy these guys are acting. Why the hell are they letting dogs loose and standing in the open without body armor?!?

I’m no expert in hostage rescue but this seems like a total fustercluck.

BABYKILLERZ!

I’m preaching to the choir again. I know. But...

This week’s Behind the Bastards podcast focuses on exited delirium. If you are at all on the fence about whether or not we’re living in a police state, or if you know someone who IS on the fence and is also open minded, this episode might push you hard in one direction.

BtB is a heavily fact-checked and researched podcast. If you’re a lefty, listening to this podcast has the potential to push you far more to the left than you ever knew was possible. Is that a caveat or an invitation? Depends on the individual.

RawkGWJ wrote:

BABYKILLERZ!

I’m preaching to the choir again. I know. But...

This week’s Behind the Bastards podcast focuses on exited delirium. If you are at all on the fence about whether or not we’re living in a police state, or if you know someone who IS on the fence and is also open minded, this episode might push you hard in one direction.

BtB is a heavily fact-checked and researched podcast. If you’re a lefty, listening to this podcast has the potential to push you far more to the left than you ever knew was possible. Is that a caveat or an invitation? Depends on the individual.

the stuff about Jeffrey D. Ho is particularly infuriating.

Pages