Monster Hunter Rise Catch-All

Farscry wrote:

I hopped into the training grounds in Rise to try a few more out and nothing is gelling with me. I had my eye on Lance initially, since a defensive tank would certainly be a new approach and has a certain appeal. However, the controls felt really wrong to me, I just couldn't get a feel for it. If anyone has tips I'm all ears, as this is the one weapon set I've been eyeing ever since MHF2 but just haven't taken a real run at it before.

I mained Lance in MHW and have done all but 3 hunts with it in MHRise, so I'll do my best to convert you to a Lancer. I'd say that rule #1 of Lancing is do not sheathe. You're nearly untouchable when your weapon it out, but the window where you try to sheathe to heal or use items is when you die as lance. For this reason a healing palico is a huge boon, as was the heal on damage augment in Iceborne.

The immediate counterpoint to this is if you do mess up and get hit in Rise, you can wirefall away and magically your weapon is sheathed and you can quickly chug a mega potion and get back into the action. This is a huge advantage and makes it seem impossible to faint.

So if you never sheathe, how do you move around the battlefield while walking super slow? Guard Dash (zR+L+X), Hops (L+B), and Dash Attack (zR+X+A), in order of preference. Evade Extender can increase the distance of hopping if that's your preference, but I mostly use the dashes.

The playstyle is almost that of a rhythm game. Ideally you want to be always right up in the monster's grill, reading their attacks and countering appropriately. Zinogre is the perfect example. If you're near his face and he tries that triple hand slam, you can easily counter (zR+A) all three and dish a ton of damage to his horns/forelegs. Once you get a little practice in, you tend not to use the simple block (zR) as much as the counter and the new Anchor Rage (zL+A). The downside of the anchor rage is you can't convert it into a power guard with B like you can the counter if you mis-time it and go a little early. On the up side, it delivers a self-buff when it activates, has no knockback and uses no stamina. Speaking of the power guard, it comes with built-in guard up after a second or so. I think the only thing I haven't been able to block thus far is the Khezu attack where he shoots 3 balls forward. But that attack is so slow that you can easily guard dash around to his side.

The basic attack sequence is three stabs, then a reset, three stabs, reset, etc. The cancel counter (zR+A, don't hold) counts as a reset, as does a hop, a guard dash, etc. So I generally poke until I see an attack coming or I need a reset to the chain. If I'm in good position, I do a cancel counter. If I need to move a bit, I'll guard dash to get into better position.

I've fought HR Rathalos several times and the only time he's a problem is when I lose him. A fireball to the face is simply an opportunity to proc the yellow, greater buff with Anchor Rage. If I'm too far away to get that to connect, I can guard dash directly into the fireball and be set up for a couple high thrusts to the snout. The double spin is pure joy as I counter the first hit and anchor rage the second. Once you learn a monsters' moves, their attacks become ways to proc your more damaging attacks.

There's a lot more to say about the new switch skills and the buffed sweep attack, but those are the basics. Don't sheathe, stick to the monster and punish their attacks.

Stevintendo wrote:

Meanwhile, I'm over here with the sword and shield going X, X, X, Up + A, A, maybe A again, X + A, oh my wirebugs are charged better press ZL + A, rinse and repeat.

It's a great weapon fer sure. I started off with Sword and Shield in World and I still crafted a few of them in my Rise game right now. It's just that once you're out of the X-X-X combo phase, I looked at the skill ceiling of SnS and I got really intimidated, especially now that it has three different countermoves in Guard Slash, Windmill, and and Metsu Shoryugeki. The lack of animation lock-in means you need to make snap decisions in milliseconds, and you have a ton of options at your disposal. CB is simpler because each move only connects to a specific other set of moves and you simply can't cancel out. Gives ya time to think.

For advancing on a monster, Falling Shadow, or Advancing Slash? Immediately after Advancing Slash, XXX combo or Drill Slash Combo into Spinning Reaper? Or maybe leap back? The leap back is even more complex now because you can cancel it, go into Jumping Slash into Falling Bash or go into Perfect Rush. I am getting back into it now that I'm a lot more confident about my Perfect Rush performance.

peanut3141 wrote:

I mained Lance in MHW and have done all but 3 hunts with it in MHRise, so I'll do my best to convert you to a Lancer.

Good stuff, thanks for the helpful info peanut

Funny enough, before you posted a response, I got some time late afternoon yesterday to spend in Rise and decided to give the Lance another shot. Like I noted in my post, my original intention with this entry was to go Lance, and I'm nothing if not stubborn. So I figured I might as well grab a lance and go hunting. It appears that part of the trouble I had was as much to do with getting a feel for the changes in Rise itself, because for whatever reason within the span of a few hunts (Great Izuchi and Arzuros mostly) I finally clicked with the basic elements of Lance gameplay. Sure, I have a lot of time ahead of me needed to hone my skills, but on the most basic level, I think I finally have a sense of how the weapon set works (and your comment helped me start down the path too!).

I think I'm going to like the Lance very much.

Given my history with World, and how quickly I stopped playing it; I didn't think I'd like this. But what I have played so far, I have very much enjoyed; but with one minor/major gripe. The gripe I have is the ability (or rather the one I've not found yet) to center the camera behind my hunter when on hunts and killing the big bads.

If you have a monster selected on the upper right of the screen, you can tap the L button to have the camera quickly orient on that monster. I believe you can also switch that button to snap to a behind-the-hunter view if you prefer.

Yup, tap the L button to snap the camera behind yourself, or if you've selected a big monster by clicking in the right analog tapping L will snap the camera such that the monster is at the center of your view. I rarely use it but it's very helpful when you need it!

In addition to so many wonderful small quality-of-life touches, I'm particularly enjoying how Rise's maps feel like a happy medium between the traditional style of an area made up of multiple discrete maps linked together and the World style of one great big seamless area. While I like World's area design, I have a particular fondness for how the traditional map design for MH games creates these memorable and instantly recognizable sub-areas. Sure, there was some of that in World (especially in the desert/canyon map) but Rise really embraces that design philosophy while still providing interesting connections between all these sub-areas in big seamless maps like World's.

I'm probably doing a poor job of explaining it, but basically in Rise, the maps all feel like traditional Monster Hunter maps even though they're seamless maps like in World now. I'm only a short way in (working through the 2-star Village quests now) but I'm already loving this game so much that it may just become my undisputed favorite (previously I was torn between MH3U, MHW, and MHGU), so long as it has a great big pile of content to keep me happy in the long term!

Blind_Evil wrote:
A_Unicycle wrote:

Further content has been promised. We have a few monsters being added at the end of this month or next.

I'm assuming with it's popularity, we'll get the Iceborne treatment. I'm really hoping to see a G rank added.

Sorry, I’ve lost track. When you say you downed Magnamalo, you mean for the first time in village? Got a ways to go if that’s the case, y’know? I really got my ass handed to me by HR Rathian last night after thinking I was hot stuff for never failing a quest. One shotted me twice.

Woah okay, now here's the good stuff. I didn't realise there was SO much after the credits. I fought a Zinogre and got absolutely brutalized.

happy.

The credits come so early, I'm convinced they're actually an intro credit and after you finished the story, you're just done with the basic tutorials. Which still isn't the tutorial - you have to finish Low Rank Village quests to get to High Rank after you finish the License Tests.

Look, I'm still not a fan. I'm happy the challenge is picking up a bit now, but the intro left me feeling so flat.

It's a weird design choice.

I like where the weapons, armor skills, switch skills, and decos are in the game - and it especially works because the decos are craftable.

One thing I learned last night is I really need a flinch free deco for multiplayer. not sure if it's the addition of palamutes, but I'm finding myself hitstunned and left vulnerable to the monster far more often than in world.

Mizutsune and I are going to have a few dates until I get those claws.

peanut3141 wrote:

One thing I learned last night is I really need a flinch free deco for multiplayer. not sure if it's the addition of palamutes, but I'm finding myself hitstunned and left vulnerable to the monster far more often than in world.

Mizutsune and I are going to have a few dates until I get those claws.

Longsword users, am I right? :p

But yeah I am noticing this too. I thought it was just due to the monsters at the start being smaller. Jokes aside, it could also be that their are more LS users now that it is the "default" starting weapon.

Or maybe there just are *that* many new players this time.

A_Unicycle wrote:

Longsword users, am I right? :p

But yeah I am noticing this too. I thought it was just due to the monsters at the start being smaller. Jokes aside, it could also be that their are more LS users now that it is the "default" starting weapon.

Or maybe there just are *that* many new players this time.

Not just LS, but also dual blades, charge blades, bowguns, gunlances, and to a lesser extent IG & SnS. Hammer and GS tend not to be problems because they don't swing often.

It's nice the brace is now a tier 1 deco instead of tier 3. That'll be really easy to fit in once I can craft one. But for now I often find myself hit-stunned for an entire knockdown as a DB user does a blender impersonation all over my model.

Yeah if I have one big complaint about the game, it’s that 4 players and 4 dogs with all the effects and hits, it gets too hectic. I’m leaning into bow when playing with randos online.

It doesn't fix the staggering problem, but I have turned out combat effects and have found it a LOT easier to keep track of what's going on now.

Give it a try.

Barioth is hard! My first cart.

For sure! Big difficulty spike with that guy.

Absolutely love the fight (and the armour you can make from it!)

One of the pieces I happened to be using with my Charge Blade set has Evade Extender 2. EE is ridiculous in this game. Like, legit long distances. You don't need to squint to notice EE1. You can tell, easily. EE3 dodges you clear out of a room.

Like, I normally have trouble dodging out of the way of a Royal Ludroth. With EE2, no problem. You don't need to time the iframes. You just won't be there at all.

Yeah I like the Jyuradotus set because it boosts some attacky stuff plus EE1. Helps with gunlance and CB mobility a lot. I use pukei for bow.

Probably time to upgrade from Jyura, Rathalos and Barioth both carted me once tonight.

Made it to HR5! Whoop whoop! I've encountered Jyuratodus for the first time and they might be my favourite monster design so far! There's something special about fighting a big dumb-looking fish that could snap you in two of it wanted!

Currently rocking their full armour set to pay them the respect they deserve!

LarryC wrote:
Stevintendo wrote:

Meanwhile, I'm over here with the sword and shield going X, X, X, Up + A, A, maybe A again, X + A, oh my wirebugs are charged better press ZL + A, rinse and repeat.

It's a great weapon fer sure. I started off with Sword and Shield in World and I still crafted a few of them in my Rise game right now. It's just that once you're out of the X-X-X combo phase, I looked at the skill ceiling of SnS and I got really intimidated, especially now that it has three different countermoves in Guard Slash, Windmill, and and Metsu Shoryugeki. The lack of animation lock-in means you need to make snap decisions in milliseconds, and you have a ton of options at your disposal. CB is simpler because each move only connects to a specific other set of moves and you simply can't cancel out. Gives ya time to think.

For advancing on a monster, Falling Shadow, or Advancing Slash? Immediately after Advancing Slash, XXX combo or Drill Slash Combo into Spinning Reaper? Or maybe leap back? The leap back is even more complex now because you can cancel it, go into Jumping Slash into Falling Bash or go into Perfect Rush. I am getting back into it now that I'm a lot more confident about my Perfect Rush performance.

I'm not gonna pretend to be as familiar with the technicalities or even the names of the combos as you, but I do know what you mean. Since hitting HR I've been diversifying the combos I use a lot more, even spent some time in the training area trying figure out some stuff I'd done on hunts by accident.

For example, I didn't realise I could get myself into a potentially endless combo of X+Y -> X or A -> X+Y etc.

Barioth is down!

I've fought the Magnamalo about 6 times now, lost 2 of them and almost lost another.

It's just SUCH a fun fight, and I adore the visual design of the monster. I'm going for a full armour set + hammer to take me into post-game. It looks cool and has some interesting new armour skills.

I'm also looking to pick up a secondary weapon, because I want to be able to cut tails. I'm eyeing off SnS because it looks surprisingly technical, but I also have a soft spot for lance - I think it's hilarious that you get more damage from slapping the monster now than you do poking it.

Well I've been having a ton of fun with LBG and charge blade so far, but I think this settles my inevitable return to gunlance:

Just got to HR4 last night. Halfway to building my first HR set - Izuchi. And the first Charge Blade in the iron tree. Did 2 Izuchi runs and an expedition so far. Should be able to get it in one more fight.

Very excited to continue working on progressing. This is probably about as far as I got in Generations.

Ok, the last Lance Switch skill is amazing. Spiral Thrust is everything Anchor Rage wanted to be. It's frankly insane that it starts with block frames, does the damage it does, and is also an incredible repositioning tool. Only consuming a single wirebug charge with medium refresh is icing on the cake.

I'm also coming to terms with the fact that shield charge is clearly superior in Rise. The standard dash attack seems to take far too long to spool up, and it's unprotected movement to boot. The longer range and mount damage capabilities just don't measure up, particular when spiral thrust make a mockery of its mount damage.

I'm still not a convert to Insta-Block, but as I learn the new monsters' timings better, I might finally ditch the last standard skill.

I'm starting to really get a feel for the basics of block/dodge/counter and poke-poke-poke with Lance, and I'm very happy I gave it another shot. I keep forgetting that I have a dash attack, instead doing the dodge forward (L+X) followed by a lunging strike (A) when I need to close a little ground. I need to start making use of my wirebug attack more, I just keep forgetting about it because I'm too busy with the basics of slugging it out with monsters! It's taken a while to get in the habit of never sheathing during a fight if I can help it, but that's definitely helped me to get better.

I'm a couple quests into the 3-star Village rank now. I'm a bit OCD about doing all quests in a rank before starting the next rank, so that's why I'm not further along yet (I've re-run a few quests too).

For context, watch a man obliterate Rajang in <2 minutes by abusing the hell out of Spiral Thrust:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAgT...

peanut3141 wrote:

For context, watch a man obliterate Rajang in <2 minutes by abusing the hell out of Spiral Thrust:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAgT...

Wow. That looks hilarious. It's arena gear too, so a proper set would make that even more absurd.

Jumping into the thread as I played the last few days a bunch. I was also going to wait on PC, but enough friends were all grabbing it that I decided I'd go ahead and snag it. Haven't touched Hub Missions yet since I'm saving those for co-op, but hit Village Rank 3 today.

It has a weird slow-feeling start compared to World while simultaneously feeling faster paced. "Story" is a generous word here, given World had this whole plot regarding a gigantic monster everyone was trying to capture established. World was definitely designed for a broader audience, though Rise certainly learned some lessons from it.

I think I need to stop and check some info on how things like poison bombs work, as I never really got far with traps and other things in World. Kick my hunting game up. Though I'm more interested in trying to figure out how to better launch myself in the air with the wirebug only to spiral onto the monster's head with dual blades.

It's a good'un so far.

ccesarano wrote:

I think I need to stop and check some info on how things like poison bombs work, as I never really got far with traps and other things in World. Kick my hunting game up. Though I'm more interested in trying to figure out how to better launch myself in the air with the wirebug only to spiral onto the monster's head with dual blades.

The only thing poison smoke bombs have ever been useful for is killing bnahabras and altaroths without destroying their bodies so you can carve them. In Rise, your unlimited kunai also don't seem to destroy the bodies, so I can't imagine a use for them anymore. Just make sure to leave your pets behind if you go on a gathering quest for these bug parts. They still destroy them.

Now traps... those you should definitely work into your arsenal, both for capturing and crowd control.