Warhammer 40k: Darktide! Vermintide in spaaaace!

While the team is transiting down to the surface, most of the characters sleep. However, the Ogryn is often counting on his fingers.

Best thing about the Ogryn is that they kept getting in the way of the shots from my Sharpshooter, which encouraged me to try the other classes where I found the best one, The Zealot.

Some details on weapon stats:

Aetius wrote:
Budo wrote:
FlamingPeasant wrote:

Never played much VT2, but this has me intrigued. Enable me!

As an Ogryn, you can throw an entire box of grenades at enemies.

But they don't explode.

Unless you take the feat that makes them explode!

Why would you not?

Sadly, because it's in the same set as the Feat that extends your Coherency radius, which is unfortunately really important for staying alive. Also, you have to hit carapace armor for it to work, which is (relatively) rare.

Budo wrote:
Aetius wrote:
Budo wrote:
FlamingPeasant wrote:

Never played much VT2, but this has me intrigued. Enable me!

As an Ogryn, you can throw an entire box of grenades at enemies.

But they don't explode.

Unless you take the feat that makes them explode!

Why would you not?

This is more like it

Does anyone know when it unlocks on Gamepass?

NathanialG wrote:

Does anyone know when it unlocks on Gamepass?

It's unlocked now. Just not in the "Recently added" section. It's in the carousel at the top for me.

Finally found the direct link. This should take you to the install/download

Aetius wrote:

Sadly, because it's in the same set as the Feat that extends your Coherency radius, which is unfortunately really important for staying alive. Also, you have to hit carapace armor for it to work, which is (relatively) rare.

I heard that Bombs Away! now works on any armor type and Unyielding mobs (not sure which ones those are).

reddit post wrote:

now the Grenades explode upon hitting any kind of armour or Unyielding enemy

Link

Yoyoson wrote:

I heard that Bombs Away! now works on any armor type and Unyielding mobs (not sure which ones those are).

Unyielding enemies are those like the Charger, Crusher, or Scab Sniper, they are immune to staggers and interrupts and are generally tougher than normal enemies, but not so much that they aren’t solo-able. They’ll usually get announced by one of the characters when they appear.

Well that makes it more tempting, but I'd still take the Coherency bonus. Hopefully they'll move it.

Crashed in almost every game during the beta. Haven't crashed in 3 games since release = yay!

At some point during the beta I was getting quite decent ~70fps. In the few games I've played since release there've been some noticable dips to <30fps. Unsure if it's the release patch or just the maps I've played on.

Sorry I couldn't accept the invite last night, I was already in a group of 2 and a third was joining us shortly after.

We're planning on trying the 3rd level of difficulty tonight.

Math wrote:

At some point during the beta I was getting quite decent ~70fps. In the few games I've played since release there've been some noticable dips to <30fps. Unsure if it's the release patch or just the maps I've played on.

I guess some people noticed things such as, they've got ray tracing turned on in a config file even though the in-game settings menu shows it's off.

Copy pasting the recommendation from a discord. not sure if this helps you:

1. Set all graphics options to off/low in the game. (DLSS on balanced or w/e)

2. Close the game and open %appdata%\Fatshark\Darktide\user_settings.config using notepad.
(C:\Users\*YOUR_USER*\AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Darktide)

3. Make sure the following settings are set like this:

rt_checkerboard_reflections = false
rt_light_quality = false
rt_mixed_reflections = false
rt_particle_reflections_enabled = false
rt_reflections_enabled = false
rt_shadow_ray_multiplier = 0
rt_transparent_reflections_enabled = false
rtxgi_enabled = false
rtxgi_scale = 0

4. Once this is done you should notice a big FPS bump that's more inline with what you'd expect with your setup. You can tweak any settings you want ingame, just don't touch the RTX ones.

They need to replace all the loading tips with a big flashing sign that says “THE DAEMONHOSTS ARE OPTIONAL. YOU DON’T NEED TO ATTACK THEM. YOU CAN WALK AWAY.”

I realize it's early and these things will probably improve with time but ooof the loading times on this game.

Jonman wrote:

I realize it's early and these things will probably improve with time but ooof the loading times on this game.

So far, aside from RTX issues, the loading times have been most annoying. And there's always two per mission. Ugh.

How often are people upgrading their gear with purchases? I waited til 8 to spend anything, just using weapons from missions before that.

I've been buying weapons all along. Eventually you reach a point where the weapons are rated in the 300s and they don't consistently get better, so there isn't always something to buy. You just start accumulating ordo or whatever the main currency is called. There may have been a couple of times when I wanted something and didn't have enough ordo.. then I realized I could Discard stuff in my inventory for cash. It really should be called Sell, not Discard*.

I think I heard someone mention that the quality of what's in the shop is based on what you already have previously acquired. IF that's true, just buying things with better ratings will improve your shop offerings. I'm level 25 and my weapons have plateaued around rating 350-360.

That is related to how Vermintide 2 worked, for what it's worth. In that game, it randomized the Power of a weapon but chose a number that was within +/- 10 of your most powerful previously acquired item. So simply opening chests would increase your gear power level.

* - You don't want to necessarily discard all your lower-Rating items. The j_sat video that Aetius posted above says, "As a word to the wise, hold on to your weapons that have high stat rolls". "Stat rolls" is referring to the things that show up as bars (and in the latest UI, has bars w/ percentages). I think the reasoning is that we'll be able to change Properties and Traits later with crafting, but it will be very difficult to obtain the perfect rolls that will make a great weapon. Luckily, the UI also now shows the breakdown of how a weapon got its rating: Mostly from stats, some from Props and some from traits. So it should be easy for you to compare just the Stat rolls of two weapons and determine which ones should not be discarded.

I’m sad that I missed the boat on the Zealot’s combat knife bleed meta from the pre order beta. Lacerate has been toned down quite a bit, however a knife with that property is still an amazingly effective crowd control tool.

I just wish more knives rotated into the store in general, too many swords and autoguns!!

Yoyoson wrote:

I think I heard someone mention that the quality of what's in the shop is based on what you already have previously acquired. IF that's true, just buying things with better ratings will improve your shop offerings. I'm level 25 and my weapons have plateaued around rating 350-360.

That is related to how Vermintide 2 worked, for what it's worth. In that game, it randomized the Power of a weapon but chose a number that was within +/- 10 of your most powerful previously acquired item. So simply opening chests would increase your gear power level.

It does work that way, up to a point. Once you're at level 30, it more-or-less stops going up. You'll still get rolls that are pretty good, so it devolves into a waiting game where you're waiting for an item with good stats and the right perks. Then you go bless that item, get a crap additional perk, and cycle back to waiting.

A few days into release I'm having fun but not vibing with it the same way I did Vermintide 2. It doesn't run great on my older system (my issue, not the game's) and the crash bugs are atrocious. I generally crash 3-5 times every single 2-3 hour session at all kinds of different times (starting the game, mid-mission, post-mission while loading up the hub, etc).

Did it take Fatshark a while to whip V2 into shape? I suspect that will happen with Darktide but right now this feels VERY unfinished.

Jow wrote:

A few days into release I'm having fun but not vibing with it the same way I did Vermintide 2. It doesn't run great on my older system (my issue, not the game's) and the crash bugs are atrocious. I generally crash 3-5 times every single 2-3 hour session at all kinds of different times (starting the game, mid-mission, post-mission while loading up the hub, etc).

Did it take Fatshark a while to whip V2 into shape? I suspect that will happen with Darktide but right now this feels VERY unfinished.

That's pretty bad. Personally, I've only experienced 1 or 2 crashes since launch. I'd be pretty unhappy with what you're experiencing.

From what I've read, yes, VT2 had a pretty rocky launch. I also just noticed that Nvidia dropped new drivers dated 12/1. Maybe that will help, although I doubt that will magically solve ALL of your crash issues.

Yoyoson wrote:

From what I've read, yes, VT2 had a pretty rocky launch. I also just noticed that Nvidia dropped new drivers dated 12/1. Maybe that will help, although I doubt that will magically solve ALL of your crash issues.

Yep I'm on it, current installed driver is the one released on 12/1. It did not help the crashing issues.

I'm going to be building a new system this coming week. I'm *really* hoping this kicks the performance and crash issues to the curb.

I have a pretty mediocre system (Ryzen 5 2600 and a GTX 1080) and haven't had any crashes. I'm running it on medium settings, though.

Interesting. I am running an unusual system, i5-7600k (which just a notch above the minimum) with a 3080 but I'm also running at 3440 x 1440. Regardless, with that card I should be able to up the settings, and in fact nearly every game I play these days I'm still able to dial up to high or ultra, but this game is really taxing the CPU. May have to experiment.

Jow wrote:

Interesting. I am running an unusual system, i5-7600k (which just a notch above the minimum) with a 3080 but I'm also running at 3440 x 1440. Regardless, with that card I should be able to up the settings, and in fact nearly every game I play these days I'm still able to dial up to high or ultra, but this game is really taxing the CPU. May have to experiment.

I'm running a 6700k paired with a 3080 with everything set to high, or whatever the highest setting is, at 2,560 x 1,440 but with RTX off (involuntarily at this point) and it runs just fine for me.

If you're CPU limited it may be worth turning down the CPU options, rather than GPU options.