NCAA Basketball 20-21 Catch-All

Stele wrote:

And Bama beats UK by 20 at Rupp.

Alabama is pretty good.

The SEC swapped out South Carolina for Vandy on UT's schedule for last night because of COVID delays around the SEC, but then Vandy had COVID contact tracing problems as well, which cancelled the game entirely. Supposedly the UT v Vandy game Saturday is still on.

Would have been weird playing Vandy twice in a week.

Yeah Alabama's new coach was from Buffalo. He was a math teacher I believe and a heavy analytics basketball coach. This shot chart is a thing of beauty, all 3s and paint.

IMAGE(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ErlHNdyXUAESVP9?format=jpg&name=900x900)

I am seeing a LOT of postponed / cancelled games in the upcoming schedule. I fear the season is beginning the (not at all unexpected) breakdown. I hope no one becomes seriously ill or dies from this. :/

Argh. UNC played a reasonably good game. Sadly, even without Scottie Barnes, FSU's length and experience was too much for the team to counter (them going perfect from the line didn't help) . Bright spot was seeing Anthony Harris back in the lineup. Provided a nice spark and boost off the bench.

Tyrian wrote:

Argh. UNC played a reasonably good game. Sadly, even without Scottie Barnes, FSU's length and experience was too much for the team to counter (them going perfect from the line didn't help) . Bright spot was seeing Anthony Harris back in the lineup. Provided a nice spark and boost off the bench.

Apparently a really good game but Coach Ham is hopefully getting everyone on the same page. We had too many graduate/leave last year.

FSU still looks long and tough on defense. Cards face them Monday after playing at Miami tonight at 8.

And Kentucky falls to Auburn. What a season. NCAA tournament might not have UNC, Duke, or Kentucky. That would be weird.

Clemson, VT, UVA, and Louisville will have to represent.

Michigan got EATEN at Minnesota.

Creighton falls to Butler.

First ESPN Gameday show was this morning and they spent a lot of time on the undefeated teams. Knew a few would fall today.

Yeesh. Clemson got smoked at home by UVA. It was never even close!

Vols slowly strangled Vanderbilt for a 20 point win.

If UT could get their shots to fall consistently, they'd be really dangerous. But that D's pretty tough. I'm especially impressed with how good the two freshman have played D. Normally that's what comes later, or these highly touted guys come in just looking to score. Johnson and Springer came in looking to shut people down.

Looks like FSU had another decent game yesterday. The defense looks better than at the start of the season. Still have a way to go before they reach their potential but Coach Ham is doing an awesome job. I swear he has gotten better since he came to Tallahassee

Dude you can say you kicked Louisville's ass. I'm here to take my losses.

Cards with another slow start. They looked like they weren't ready to play. Credit to FSU defense but still this is becoming a trend. Come out flat and get behind, then start playing, catch up, and run out of gas, and lose. Almost every loss for Mack the last couple years looks like this. Fan base is getting restless.

After 30 years of Denny Crum full court press and 15 years of Pitino full court press, this Mack pack line defense is a big adjustment and people aren't handling it well.

Anyway in better news the Louisville Cardinals women's basketball team is #1 for the first time in school history. After multiple Final Fours, finishing as runner up twice, we finally got above that #2 ranking. Very proud of Jeff Walz and his team. Maybe this is the year we break through and win it all.

Stele wrote:

Dude you can say you kicked Louisville's ass. I'm here to take my losses.

Cards with another slow start. They looked like they weren't ready to play. Credit to FSU defense but still this is becoming a trend. Come out flat and get behind, then start playing, catch up, and run out of gas, and lose. Almost every loss for Mack the last couple years looks like this. Fan base is getting restless.

After 30 years of Denny Crum full court press and 15 years of Pitino full court press, this Mack pack line defense is a big adjustment and people aren't handling it well.

Anyway in better news the Louisville Cardinals women's basketball team is #1 for the first time in school history. After multiple Final Fours, finishing as runner up twice, we finally got above that #2 ranking. Very proud of Jeff Walz and his team. Maybe this is the year we break through and win it all.

Of course you could point out that your women’s team kicked our ass too...

I’m trying to not let my hopes go crazy this season, end of season is more important and we lost to UCF. But there are some good things going on too

Well our women have been beating everybody. They beat #20 DePaul last month by 41, and were up 50 after the 3rd. After we beat Duke by 24 at Cameron, they decided to quit the season. NC State is the only challenge I can see. #1 vs #2 coming up Feb 1.

But your men are defending ACC season champs. It's criminal y'all weren't ranked after thrashing 2 teams last week. I didn't believe for a second that Louisville were 3 point favorites. There's not much home court this season and as hot as FSU has been lately I expected a loss. Not a double digit butt kicking but a loss. Oh well.

I was impressed with FSU again last night. The cards looked like they were copying UNC's game plan for the year, which is to say miss a whole lot of shots and give up 3 pointers.

Seriously though, I agree that it's criminal FSU isn't ranked. The UCF loss wasn't a great look, but Johnny Dawkins' team was playing fantastic that night. The Clemson loss is more on brand, but I also think there's some blue blood bias creeping in there.

The ACC feels kinda weak this season, though that might be my own inherent bias. The problem is, that makes it even harder for teams to climb back into the rankings!

Tyrian wrote:

The ACC feels kinda weak this season, though that might be my own inherent bias. The problem is, that makes it even harder for teams to climb back into the rankings!

SEC kind of feels weak, too. And I thought last year was a bit down, too. But now without a strong UK in the SEC or a strong Duke in the ACC, it just feels odd.

Maybe it's just the nature of things any more with the one-and-dones, transfers, etc. Maybe the G-League changes coming up may continue the talent leak. Maybe we'll be back to four year players that just start out a bit lower in talent but that you get to know as a fan and watch progress over time. Teams meaning more than stars.

*shrug*

UT plays UF tonight in Florida. Go Vols.

MannishBoy wrote:
Tyrian wrote:

The ACC feels kinda weak this season, though that might be my own inherent bias. The problem is, that makes it even harder for teams to climb back into the rankings!

SEC kind of feels weak, too. And I thought last year was a bit down, too. But now without a strong UK in the SEC or a strong Duke in the ACC, it just feels odd.

Maybe it's just the nature of things any more with the one-and-dones, transfers, etc. Maybe the G-League changes coming up may continue the talent leak. Maybe we'll be back to four year players that just start out a bit lower in talent but that you get to know as a fan and watch progress over time. Teams meaning more than stars.

*shrug*

UT plays UF tonight in Florida. Go Vols.

Roy's best teams at UNC have had experienced backcourts with varying degrees of talent at all positions. I think there's an argument that the best college teams usually follow a similar thread, just because there's value in both talent and experience.

I agree that the SEC also feels a bit underwhelming this season. Tennessee and Alabama seen to be the high marks?

Big12 and Big10 have what... 1 national championship each over the last 20 years? I think the ACC has 8! SEC has 6, maybe?

Tyrian wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:
Tyrian wrote:

The ACC feels kinda weak this season, though that might be my own inherent bias. The problem is, that makes it even harder for teams to climb back into the rankings!

SEC kind of feels weak, too. And I thought last year was a bit down, too. But now without a strong UK in the SEC or a strong Duke in the ACC, it just feels odd.

Maybe it's just the nature of things any more with the one-and-dones, transfers, etc. Maybe the G-League changes coming up may continue the talent leak. Maybe we'll be back to four year players that just start out a bit lower in talent but that you get to know as a fan and watch progress over time. Teams meaning more than stars.

*shrug*

UT plays UF tonight in Florida. Go Vols.

Roy's best teams at UNC have had experienced backcourts with varying degrees of talent at all positions. I think there's an argument that the best college teams usually follow a similar thread, just because there's value in both talent and experience.

Don't disagree. UT's got that mix with some star freshmen and some experience more in the inside with a couple of sophomores and a transfer playing in the wings as well.

I agree that the SEC also feels a bit underwhelming this season. Tennessee and Alabama seen to be the high marks?

Seem to be at the moment. But you may have another couple that may show up like Auburn.

Well. UT got outplayed from the jump.

That is not the type of ball they've played all year.

Yeah it's that kind of season. Just when you think some team is good, boom.

Stele wrote:

Yeah it's that kind of season. Just when you think some team is good, boom.

Other than Gonzaga and Baylor, I haven't seen anyone continually exert dominance. Michigan has looked good, but got blown out. Wisconsin, Texas, Iowa, etc... Villanova has had some good performances, but has been on hiatus for a while.

It's definitely one of those seasons. If we make it to the NCAA tournament, I honestly have no idea what it's going to look like. You might have 10 or 11 seeds based on body of work that you REALLY don't want to see in your bracket.

Duke drops a game to Pitt on the road partially thanks to a monster performance from Justin Champagnie. They showed fight in the 2nd half and came back from 15 down, but couldn't close the gap.

Suspect we might see some AP votes for Pitt next poll.

And Pitt only ACC loss to Louisville.

Hopefully that means the Cards can beat Duke Saturday.

Stele wrote:

And Pitt only ACC loss to Louisville.

Hopefully that means the Cards can beat Duke Saturday.

I think they've certainly got the personnel and talent to do it. Just depends on which team shows up.

UNC recovers from a shaky first half to pull away in second, despite lights out shooting from Isaiah Mucious.

Annnnnd kentucky falls again. Heh.

1-13 from 3? Lose by 1? Aww, poor Kentucky.

UNC wins another at home despite committing 10 turnovers in the second half. Thank goodness for the 10 pt first half lead, since that was the margin of victory.

Now to see if Louisville can handle visiting Duke.

Louisville succeeds! Pitt falls to WAKE?!

Clemson gets trounced by FSU, as does VT by Syracuse.

GT giving problems to UVA...

Kansas falls, Kentucky takes down LSU.

Tyrian wrote:

Louisville succeeds! Pitt falls to WAKE?!

Clemson gets trounced by FSU, as does VT by Syracuse.

GT giving problems to UVA...

Kansas falls, Kentucky takes down LSU.

Weird year in The ACC. At least we made up for our loss.