[Discussion] Welcome to the Biden Administration!

Anything related to Biden and his upcoming administration. May this thread be less active and controversial as that last guys thread.

ruhk wrote:

I was seeing people raging about Jorgensen as early as the day after election, as soon as it was becoming clear that her share of the votes exceeded the margin Trump was losing by in a couple states. I haven’t seen anything recently so it’s possible they’ve just moved on to whining about other things.

Did they also claim that Trump was too centrist and next time they should nominate someone with a swastika tattoo instead?

It's interesting though that 3rd party candidates are often blamed for swinging an election to the 'wrong' candidate, but the data doesn't necessarily support it.

garion333 wrote:

Nice. See, folks, there's glimmers of hope with Biden.

There's always going to be glimmers of hope throughout, and people who are still distrustful of centrist democrats and Biden in general are happy to take whatever they can get. Being not-horrible is a great baseline and I hope they maintain a consistent standard over the next few years and continue to hire and recruit queer folks. As much as this is and will be a celebrated occasion for lgbtq+ people in general, please don't be dismissive of their distrust of this being potentially optics-related as a counter to the previous administration until time and consistency make us feel safe enough to trust it.

Amoebic wrote:
garion333 wrote:

Nice. See, folks, there's glimmers of hope with Biden.

There's always going to be glimmers of hope throughout, and people who are still distrustful of centrist democrats and Biden in general are happy to take whatever they can get. Being not-horrible is a great baseline and I hope they maintain a consistent standard over the next few years and continue to hire and recruit queer folks. As much as this is and will be a celebrated occasion for lgbtq+ people in general, please don't be dismissive of their distrust of this being potentially optics-related as a counter to the previous administration until time and consistency make us feel safe enough to trust it.

If nothing else this will move the Overton window, which has long-term benefits. As you say, time and consistency to prove trustworthy.

Petty level infinity.

State Department is preventing Biden from accessing messages from foreign leaders

CNN wrote:

A stack of messages from foreign leaders to President-elect Joe Biden are sitting at the State Department but the Trump administration is preventing him from accessing them, according to State Department officials familiar with the messages.

Traditionally, the State Department supports all communications for the President-elect, which is why many countries began sending messages to State over the weekend. But with Biden prohibited from accessing State Department resources by the Trump administration, because President Donald Trump refuses to accept Biden's victory, dozens of incoming messages have not been received.

Biden's team is in touch with foreign governments without State Department involvement, and he has held numerous calls with leaders, including Germany's Angela Merkel and Canada's Justin Trudeau. But they are operating without the logistical and translation support that the State Department operations center provides.

Remember when everyone got upset when the Clinton Administration staffers removed all the Ws from White House keyboards?

Rat Boy wrote:

Remember when everyone got upset when the Clinton Administration staffers removed all the Ws from White House keyboards?

Still a pretty funny joke, too.

Vrikk wrote:
Rat Boy wrote:

Remember when everyone got upset when the Clinton Administration staffers removed all the Ws from White House keyboards?

Still a pretty funny joke, too.

nO iT wAs SeRiOuS vAnDaLiSm Of A sErIoUs GoVeRnMeNt InStItUtIoN!11

*Legion* wrote:
Vrikk wrote:
Rat Boy wrote:

Remember when everyone got upset when the Clinton Administration staffers removed all the Ws from White House keyboards?

Still a pretty funny joke, too.

nO iT wAs SeRiOuS vAnDaLiSm Of A sErIoUs GoVeRnMeNt InStItUtIoN!11

Even better the General Accounting Office conducted a year-long investigation--contacting over 500 people and interviewing 80 of them--culminating in a 220 page report that concluded that the outgoing Clinton administration caused $15,000 in damage that could not be attributed to normal wear-and-tear.

So more money was spent on investigating the missing W's than it cost to fix things.

Which is probably a lot lower than most corporate environments of the same size, over the same time period. Accidents happen. People are clumsy, and sometimes careless.

And with the W thing, it was my understanding at the time that they mostly either taped the keycap to the keyboard or put it in a drawer. It would have been a ten-second fix in most cases, just popping it back onto the keystem.

Amoebic wrote:
garion333 wrote:

Nice. See, folks, there's glimmers of hope with Biden.

There's always going to be glimmers of hope throughout, and people who are still distrustful of centrist democrats and Biden in general are happy to take whatever they can get. Being not-horrible is a great baseline and I hope they maintain a consistent standard over the next few years and continue to hire and recruit queer folks. As much as this is and will be a celebrated occasion for lgbtq+ people in general, please don't be dismissive of their distrust of this being potentially optics-related as a counter to the previous administration until time and consistency make us feel safe enough to trust it.

Sorry if I was being dismissive. I'm genuinely happy to see this.

dejanzie wrote:

This is your kind reminder that even in a deep red state like Mississippi, Biden got 39% of the votes.

That said, I'm increasingly starting to believe this is an actual battle of good vs evil. Not just of the obviously corrupt-to-the-core GOP vs the hesitantly but reasonably decent Dems, but of the actual population. I don't want to think of it that way, as many of you were raised, loved and nurtured by people who are now mouth-frothing Trumpists.

Sure, you can get blasé about 70% of Republicans claiming to believe the election was rigged, water is wet of course they do yada yada. But it's still shocking to me how far regular people are willing to take this, while also conveniently accepting the good GOP Senate and State level results. This is not about sheeple being manipulated by evil right-wing propaganda (a theory I loathe anyway, as it absolves citizens of their civic democratic duty while also being super condescending), this is about people choosing to believe the most selfish, pernicious, convenient story at any given moment.

To the point where I'm starting to believe the regular Trumpist actually knows on a conscious level they're bullsh*tting. I guess we'll know when the Georgia Senate run-off results are in. I mean, if you honestly believe Democrats will steal the election anyway (talk about projecting, especially in Georgia), why even bother to vote? If turnout doesn't fall off a cliff for those 70% of Republicans who believe Biden was elected fraudulently, then they never believed it to begin with.

Whether it's classically good vs evil, it's now undeniably death-cult Republican Christo-fascists against the rest of us. We can't paper over the fact that 71 million US citizens (not all white and male, but mostly) want MORE of the chaotic Trump "policy" even if it hurts them: *spreading* not containing the pandemic, concentration camps for kids, white supremacist terrorism, and a foreign policy based on the Trump family benefitting financially. The MAGAS don't care about consistency, common sense, or good faith, and they are deeply hostile to democracy. If no action is taken by the Biden administration, the GOP will only grow in power since they despise laws and institutions, and have access to a huge propaganda array. We have four years to correct the present trajectory, and I doubt the Dems have the backbone.

Natus wrote:
dejanzie wrote:

This is your kind reminder that even in a deep red state like Mississippi, Biden got 39% of the votes.

That said, I'm increasingly starting to believe this is an actual battle of good vs evil. Not just of the obviously corrupt-to-the-core GOP vs the hesitantly but reasonably decent Dems, but of the actual population. I don't want to think of it that way, as many of you were raised, loved and nurtured by people who are now mouth-frothing Trumpists.

Sure, you can get blasé about 70% of Republicans claiming to believe the election was rigged, water is wet of course they do yada yada. But it's still shocking to me how far regular people are willing to take this, while also conveniently accepting the good GOP Senate and State level results. This is not about sheeple being manipulated by evil right-wing propaganda (a theory I loathe anyway, as it absolves citizens of their civic democratic duty while also being super condescending), this is about people choosing to believe the most selfish, pernicious, convenient story at any given moment.

To the point where I'm starting to believe the regular Trumpist actually knows on a conscious level they're bullsh*tting. I guess we'll know when the Georgia Senate run-off results are in. I mean, if you honestly believe Democrats will steal the election anyway (talk about projecting, especially in Georgia), why even bother to vote? If turnout doesn't fall off a cliff for those 70% of Republicans who believe Biden was elected fraudulently, then they never believed it to begin with.

Whether it's classically good vs evil, it's now undeniably death-cult Republican Christo-fascists against the rest of us. We can't paper over the fact that 71 million US citizens (not all white and male, but mostly) want MORE of the chaotic Trump "policy" even if it hurts them: *spreading* not containing the pandemic, concentration camps for kids, white supremacist terrorism, and a foreign policy based on the Trump family benefitting financially. The MAGAS don't care about consistency, common sense, or good faith, and they are deeply hostile to democracy. If no action is taken by the Biden administration, the GOP will only grow in power since they despise laws and institutions, and have access to a huge propaganda array. We have four years to correct the present trajectory, and I doubt the Dems have the backbone.

I know it's the thing to do, but constantly equating a vote for someone as implicit acceptance of all their negatives is becoming annoying.

On a lot of the topics you mentioned I can understand that they don't see them from the same angle, but this one in particular smacks as incredibly condescending:

deeply hostile to democracy

The way to win back Cuban-Americans is to tell them they're hostile to democracy? They voted against Biden because they were afraid of more socialist policies taking hold.

I think they were wrong to do so because America is so far away from Cuba it isn't funny. (You know, despite Trump attempting to run like a dictator.) I believe there are a number of socialist policies that would do great in this country, especially healthcare. But the fear of socialism in general is something they lived, so I understand why they would side with Trump despite the negative things about him.

The obsession with far left policies being The Right Way and Inevitable is part of what drives folks away from them.

We cannot win more elections by writing off all folks who cast a vote for Trump. They aren't all MAGA supporters, they aren't all deplorable.

When the blue wave didn't land this election it was in part because of redistricting. That's gonna happen again as the Republicans gained seats all over the place, which is going to keep them relevant longer. They're playing the longer game better, still.

If the Republicans take the Senate, the Dems can't do anything anyway.

OG_slinger wrote:
*Legion* wrote:
Vrikk wrote:
Rat Boy wrote:

Remember when everyone got upset when the Clinton Administration staffers removed all the Ws from White House keyboards?

Still a pretty funny joke, too.

nO iT wAs SeRiOuS vAnDaLiSm Of A sErIoUs GoVeRnMeNt InStItUtIoN!11

Even better the General Accounting Office conducted a year-long investigation--contacting over 500 people and interviewing 80 of them--culminating in a 220 page report that concluded that the outgoing Clinton administration caused $15,000 in damage that could not be attributed to normal wear-and-tear.

So more money was spent on investigating the missing W's than it cost to fix things.

It would be hilarious if someone found a garbage bag full of W keys stashed away in a closet in the White House at some point.

Malor wrote:

If the Republicans take the Senate, the Dems can't do anything anyway.

....and yet any even remotely negative thing (real or imagined) will be exclusively their fault, even if the only thing stopping them from fixing the negative thing IS the senate.

garion333 wrote:

The way to win back Cuban-Americans is to tell them they're hostile to democracy? They voted against Biden because they were afraid of more socialist policies taking hold.

I think they were wrong to do so because America is so far away from Cuba it isn't funny. (You know, despite Trump attempting to run like a dictator.) I believe there are a number of socialist policies that would do great in this country, especially healthcare. But the fear of socialism in general is something they lived, so I understand why they would side with Trump despite the negative things about him.

You know, that's a kind of Rosetta Stone to unlocking what even Hillary called the half in the basket of non-Deplorables. What I'd change is to make it not just about explicit ideology, but also about identity. If the Republican Party has done a good job over the years of making Cuban Americans feel like...Americans! Like, you know, white people.

Like, from what I read a Cuban American (Barbara Lagoa) was one (edit) of the runners up (maybe even second place) to Amy Coney Barrett for getting on the Supreme Court. And when you look at the kind of people Republicans appoint to the Supreme Court...whole lotta Catholics, especially Irish American and Italian American Catholics. Whole lotta connections to the Fighting Irish. White Anglo Saxon Protestants went from thinking the Papacy was trying to infiltrate America to thinking of it in the 80s as a stalwart ally in the fight against...socialism! Nothing says Republicans can't expand to Latino ethnicities the way they did to others over the years.

And maybe that message won't look totally different from the one they're already sending to white people about 'America', (edit) and is a clue to what's going on with the basket of non-deplorables.

Malor wrote:

And with the W thing, it was my understanding at the time that they mostly either taped the keycap to the keyboard or put it in a drawer. It would have been a ten-second fix in most cases, just popping it back onto the keystem.

I thought the removing the "W" keys nothing short of brilliant and a very funny jape. Even more so if the key was somewhere near the keyboard it belonged to.

cheeze_pavilion wrote:
garion333 wrote:

The way to win back Cuban-Americans is to tell them they're hostile to democracy? They voted against Biden because they were afraid of more socialist policies taking hold.

I think they were wrong to do so because America is so far away from Cuba it isn't funny. (You know, despite Trump attempting to run like a dictator.) I believe there are a number of socialist policies that would do great in this country, especially healthcare. But the fear of socialism in general is something they lived, so I understand why they would side with Trump despite the negative things about him.

You know, that's a kind of Rosetta Stone to unlocking what even Hillary called the half in the basket of non-Deplorables. What I'd change is to make it not just about explicit ideology, but also about identity. If the Republican Party has done a good job over the years of making Cuban Americans feel like...Americans! Like, you know, white people.

Like, from what I read a Cuban American (Barbara Lagoa) was one (edit) of the runners up (maybe even second place) to Amy Coney Barrett for getting on the Supreme Court. And when you look at the kind of people Republicans appoint to the Supreme Court...whole lotta Catholics, especially Irish American and Italian American Catholics. Whole lotta connections to the Fighting Irish. White Anglo Saxon Protestants went from thinking the Papacy was trying to infiltrate America to thinking of it in the 80s as a stalwart ally in the fight against...socialism! Nothing says Republicans can't expand to Latino ethnicities the way they did to others over the years.

And maybe that message won't look totally different from the one they're already sending to white people about 'America', (edit) and is a clue to what's going on with the basket of non-deplorables.

Do we need to import Canadians?

Seriously, Hispanic populations tend to skew socially conservative and border Texans tend to have oil and police jobs. It makes some sense. The left lost them while gaining suburban White women back. That appears largely to be a vote Against Trump than For Democrats.

I think it's a bit early for AOC to claim that Progressives didn't turn voters off, but I'll wholeheartedly agree with her about the DNC.

There’s a reason Barack Obama built an entire national campaign apparatus outside of the Democratic National Committee.

And to think that was 12+ years ago! Since then the Republicans took the lessons to heart and have the online messaging infrastructure to keep gaining, while the DNC spends effort crushing Bernie Sanders for President. Noice.

Anyway, there's no magic here, but this is the second Presidential election in a row where the DNC comes out looking weak. Maybe it's more of a factor than we think.

And redistricting. Some rural counties need to move back to the blue.

garion333 wrote:
Natus wrote:
dejanzie wrote:

This is your kind reminder that even in a deep red state like Mississippi, Biden got 39% of the votes.

That said, I'm increasingly starting to believe this is an actual battle of good vs evil. Not just of the obviously corrupt-to-the-core GOP vs the hesitantly but reasonably decent Dems, but of the actual population. I don't want to think of it that way, as many of you were raised, loved and nurtured by people who are now mouth-frothing Trumpists.

Sure, you can get blasé about 70% of Republicans claiming to believe the election was rigged, water is wet of course they do yada yada. But it's still shocking to me how far regular people are willing to take this, while also conveniently accepting the good GOP Senate and State level results. This is not about sheeple being manipulated by evil right-wing propaganda (a theory I loathe anyway, as it absolves citizens of their civic democratic duty while also being super condescending), this is about people choosing to believe the most selfish, pernicious, convenient story at any given moment.

To the point where I'm starting to believe the regular Trumpist actually knows on a conscious level they're bullsh*tting. I guess we'll know when the Georgia Senate run-off results are in. I mean, if you honestly believe Democrats will steal the election anyway (talk about projecting, especially in Georgia), why even bother to vote? If turnout doesn't fall off a cliff for those 70% of Republicans who believe Biden was elected fraudulently, then they never believed it to begin with.

Whether it's classically good vs evil, it's now undeniably death-cult Republican Christo-fascists against the rest of us. We can't paper over the fact that 71 million US citizens (not all white and male, but mostly) want MORE of the chaotic Trump "policy" even if it hurts them: *spreading* not containing the pandemic, concentration camps for kids, white supremacist terrorism, and a foreign policy based on the Trump family benefitting financially. The MAGAS don't care about consistency, common sense, or good faith, and they are deeply hostile to democracy. If no action is taken by the Biden administration, the GOP will only grow in power since they despise laws and institutions, and have access to a huge propaganda array. We have four years to correct the present trajectory, and I doubt the Dems have the backbone.

I know it's the thing to do, but constantly equating a vote for someone as implicit acceptance of all their negatives is becoming annoying.

I'm sorry you're annoyed, but that's how I see it. I'm genuinely baffled as to how Trump could have governed worse...yet he got *more* votes.

garion333 wrote:

On a lot of the topics you mentioned I can understand that they don't see them from the same angle, but this one in particular smacks as incredibly condescending:

deeply hostile to democracy

The way to win back Cuban-Americans is to tell them they're hostile to democracy? They voted against Biden because they were afraid of more socialist policies taking hold.

I think they were wrong to do so because America is so far away from Cuba it isn't funny. (You know, despite Trump attempting to run like a dictator.) I believe there are a number of socialist policies that would do great in this country, especially healthcare. But the fear of socialism in general is something they lived, so I understand why they would side with Trump despite the negative things about him.

The obsession with far left policies being The Right Way and Inevitable is part of what drives folks away from them.

Your entire retort is incredibly condescending because it infantilizes Trump supporters generally and Cuban-Americans specifically. Cuban-Americans have almost always voted Republican, and the GOP has always labelled Dem policies "socialist." Now you're saying that Cuban-Americans felt extra-specially afraid of socialism despite the lack of same but the poor things aren't *really* deplorables. But I forgot...Trump supporters are really just misunderstood, and are often driven by fears of socialism and economic anxiety.

garion333 wrote:

We cannot win more elections by writing off all folks who cast a vote for Trump. They aren't all MAGA supporters, they aren't all deplorable.

YES THEY ARE, and to your first point, yes we can. As African-American voters showed us in swing states, we need not show any sympathy to any Trump voters. Trying to convert them is a lost cause and a waste of energy.

garion333 wrote:

When the blue wave didn't land this election it was in part because of redistricting. That's gonna happen again as the Republicans gained seats all over the place, which is going to keep them relevant longer. They're playing the longer game better, still.

Which will end, as I said above, in fascism, whether it's from a coup, an uprising, or a Trump running again in 2024. It's easy to play the long game when democratic norms or laws aren't holding you back.

I don't think Trump thought about it that much, or that he even knows what the count is in the Senate. He's just trying to spread fear.

Natus wrote:
garion333 wrote:

I know it's the thing to do, but constantly equating a vote for someone as implicit acceptance of all their negatives is becoming annoying.

I'm sorry you're annoyed, but that's how I see it. I'm genuinely baffled as to how Trump could have governed worse...yet he got *more* votes.

garion333 wrote:

On a lot of the topics you mentioned I can understand that they don't see them from the same angle, but this one in particular smacks as incredibly condescending:

deeply hostile to democracy

The way to win back Cuban-Americans is to tell them they're hostile to democracy? They voted against Biden because they were afraid of more socialist policies taking hold.

I think they were wrong to do so because America is so far away from Cuba it isn't funny. (You know, despite Trump attempting to run like a dictator.) I believe there are a number of socialist policies that would do great in this country, especially healthcare. But the fear of socialism in general is something they lived, so I understand why they would side with Trump despite the negative things about him.

The obsession with far left policies being The Right Way and Inevitable is part of what drives folks away from them.

Your entire retort is incredibly condescending because it infantilizes Trump supporters generally and Cuban-Americans specifically. Cuban-Americans have almost always voted Republican, and the GOP has always labelled Dem policies "socialist." Now you're saying that Cuban-Americans felt extra-specially afraid of socialism despite the lack of same but the poor things aren't *really* deplorables. But I forgot...Trump supporters are really just misunderstood, and are often driven by fears of socialism and economic anxiety.

garion333 wrote:

We cannot win more elections by writing off all folks who cast a vote for Trump. They aren't all MAGA supporters, they aren't all deplorable.

YES THEY ARE, and to your first point, yes we can. As African-American voters showed us in swing states, we need not show any sympathy to any Trump voters. Trying to convert them is a lost cause and a waste of energy.

garion333 wrote:

When the blue wave didn't land this election it was in part because of redistricting. That's gonna happen again as the Republicans gained seats all over the place, which is going to keep them relevant longer. They're playing the longer game better, still.

Which will end, as I said above, in fascism, whether it's from a coup, an uprising, or a Trump running again in 2024. It's easy to play the long game when democratic norms or laws aren't holding you back.

I'm having whiplash from how I'm infantalizing Trump voters and Cuban-Americans but it's okay to write them off because they're deplorable.

I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about in re African American voters in swing states. They came out for a moderate Democrat, right? Or did they only vote for Biden because the assumption is Harris is the chosen one?

What about the suburban White women who switched to Biden? Throw them to the wolves as they switch back to Republican when the Republicans run a semi-normal human.

garion333 wrote:
Natus wrote:
garion333 wrote:

I know it's the thing to do, but constantly equating a vote for someone as implicit acceptance of all their negatives is becoming annoying.

I'm sorry you're annoyed, but that's how I see it. I'm genuinely baffled as to how Trump could have governed worse...yet he got *more* votes.

garion333 wrote:

On a lot of the topics you mentioned I can understand that they don't see them from the same angle, but this one in particular smacks as incredibly condescending:

deeply hostile to democracy

The way to win back Cuban-Americans is to tell them they're hostile to democracy? They voted against Biden because they were afraid of more socialist policies taking hold.

I think they were wrong to do so because America is so far away from Cuba it isn't funny. (You know, despite Trump attempting to run like a dictator.) I believe there are a number of socialist policies that would do great in this country, especially healthcare. But the fear of socialism in general is something they lived, so I understand why they would side with Trump despite the negative things about him.

The obsession with far left policies being The Right Way and Inevitable is part of what drives folks away from them.

Your entire retort is incredibly condescending because it infantilizes Trump supporters generally and Cuban-Americans specifically. Cuban-Americans have almost always voted Republican, and the GOP has always labelled Dem policies "socialist." Now you're saying that Cuban-Americans felt extra-specially afraid of socialism despite the lack of same but the poor things aren't *really* deplorables. But I forgot...Trump supporters are really just misunderstood, and are often driven by fears of socialism and economic anxiety.

garion333 wrote:

We cannot win more elections by writing off all folks who cast a vote for Trump. They aren't all MAGA supporters, they aren't all deplorable.

YES THEY ARE, and to your first point, yes we can. As African-American voters showed us in swing states, we need not show any sympathy to any Trump voters. Trying to convert them is a lost cause and a waste of energy.

garion333 wrote:

When the blue wave didn't land this election it was in part because of redistricting. That's gonna happen again as the Republicans gained seats all over the place, which is going to keep them relevant longer. They're playing the longer game better, still.

Which will end, as I said above, in fascism, whether it's from a coup, an uprising, or a Trump running again in 2024. It's easy to play the long game when democratic norms or laws aren't holding you back.

I'm having whiplash from how I'm infantalizing Trump voters and Cuban-Americans but it's okay to write them off because they're deplorable.

I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about in re African American voters in swing states. They came out for a moderate Democrat, right? Or did they only vote for Biden because the assumption is Harris is the chosen one?

What about the suburban White women who switched to Biden? Throw them to the wolves as they switch back to Republican when the Republicans run a semi-normal human.

Who's throwing anybody to the wolves? If your hair isn't on fire watching Trump govern horribly yet get 71+ million votes, I don't know what to tell you. You can't fix the rise of fascism with focus groups and sepia-toned volumes by J.D. Vance (who is very concerned about white birth rates). You can't conduct outreach to people who revel in state-sanctioned violence against minorities or who don't even care about their own health.

Republicans will only run a "semi-normal human" like Greg Stillson in King's The Dead Zone. He may not look like Trump, but he will sure act like Trump. Do not wish for a return to a normal GOP. That's gone.

Malor wrote:

Which is probably a lot lower than most corporate environments of the same size, over the same time period. Accidents happen. People are clumsy, and sometimes careless.

And with the W thing, it was my understanding at the time that they mostly either taped the keycap to the keyboard or put it in a drawer. It would have been a ten-second fix in most cases, just popping it back onto the keystem.

I have been laid off from four different companies that shut regional offices. None of these offices had more than 40 people in them. If a single one of those offices reported lost, stolen, or damaged property valued at less than $30,000 I would be shocked.

Dave Wasserman has said the magic phrase...

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/nXomAfu.png)

I thought the latest episode of Gaslit Nation was very inspirational (as an outsider anyway). I think it's worth a listen for anyone feeling dispirited.
Gaslit Nation NOVEMBER 11, 2020

We have a winner, and it’s Joe Biden! And we have a coup, and it’s ongoing! We break down one of the most tumultuous weeks in US history, including Biden’s electoral college win and the nationwide celebrations that followed; the launch of the long-held plan of the Trump crime cult to stage a coup (which we warned about incessantly for four years only to be dismissed until it began to happen).
JLS wrote:
Amoebic wrote:
garion333 wrote:

Nice. See, folks, there's glimmers of hope with Biden.

There's always going to be glimmers of hope throughout, and people who are still distrustful of centrist democrats and Biden in general are happy to take whatever they can get. Being not-horrible is a great baseline and I hope they maintain a consistent standard over the next few years and continue to hire and recruit queer folks. As much as this is and will be a celebrated occasion for lgbtq+ people in general, please don't be dismissive of their distrust of this being potentially optics-related as a counter to the previous administration until time and consistency make us feel safe enough to trust it.

If nothing else this will move the Overton window, which has long-term benefits. As you say, time and consistency to prove trustworthy.

Milo Yiannopoulos is gay. It is entirely possible to be LGBTQ+ and Centrist/Conservative, so let's not get carried away.

Mr GT Chris wrote:

I thought the latest episode of Gaslit Nation was very inspirational (as an outsider anyway). I think it's worth a listen for anyone feeling dispirited.
Gaslit Nation NOVEMBER 11, 2020

We have a winner, and it’s Joe Biden! And we have a coup, and it’s ongoing! We break down one of the most tumultuous weeks in US history, including Biden’s electoral college win and the nationwide celebrations that followed; the launch of the long-held plan of the Trump crime cult to stage a coup (which we warned about incessantly for four years only to be dismissed until it began to happen).

Sarah Kendzior and Andrea Chalupa are national treasures. I wish more people generally and especially people in power listened to them.

Here's the thing... Who Trump was, and is, was on full display before the 2016 election. From then until now, he's only provided corroborating examples of that, from his personality, to his words, to his policies.

62 million people voted for him then. 70 million people voted for him now.

If you saw the news and deemed it fake, f*ck you.

If you saw the news and didn't care, f*ck you.

If you ignored the news and still voted for him, f*ck you.

If you had any single issue that made you vote for him and ignored the rest, f*ck you.

Now I'm supposed to be nice to them? My response to that is, "Them, first."

You want to rehabilitate these people, Garion? How can it be where the above are all true but none of them fall under the category of tacit acceptance of Trump and his policies?

I can't square that circle. And it's not my job to.

Final calls for the race: GA for Biden; NC for Trump. 306 - 232, the same electoral vote totals as Trump's win in 2016, but this time with a clear majority of voters choosing Biden.

Trump called his minority win in 2016 a "shellacking". My how the turn tables...