[Discussion] Welcome to the Biden Administration!

Anything related to Biden and his upcoming administration. May this thread be less active and controversial as that last guys thread.

JC wrote:
NSMike wrote:

I swear it was on these boards, but maybe it wasn't, but I saw a similar analogy using pizza parties - One person takes three pieces of pizza because they're worried there won't be enough pizza, and another person only takes one piece for the same reason.

What about the pedophile lizard people in the basement!!!!?

See that's an argument to take three pieces.

Just throw some monoatomic gold at them, they'll be fine.

Yeah the pizza analogy was in the d&d pictures thread a while back

I can offer a real world example. I'm a state government employee in a constitutional office. One year, while Trey Grayson (R) was in office, they hosted a pizza luncheon for employee appreciation day. When we all arrived, they told us to only take one piece of pizza for now, and that more pizza was on the way. As we went through the line, the honorable TG greeted us to say how much appreciated our work while holding a plate full of several slices of pizza.

NSMike wrote:

I swear it was on these boards, but maybe it wasn't, but I saw a similar analogy using pizza parties - One person takes three pieces of pizza because they're worried there won't be enough pizza, and another person only takes one piece for the same reason.

And in that case, it’s not reasonable to roll your eyes about how everyone is worrying about running out of pizza, so really they’re all the same.

NSMike wrote:

I swear it was on these boards, but maybe it wasn't, but I saw a similar analogy using pizza parties - One person takes three pieces of pizza because they're worried there won't be enough pizza, and another person only takes one piece for the same reason.

Here's the post in the pictures thread.

Was going to just post the image here, then decided maybe people don't want images all up in their Biden thread, especially since they're not images of Biden. Now if I had a picture of Biden's administration sitting at a meeting eating some pizza... that would be more appropriate.

I like Biden generally and I was a bit hopeful for this administration but FFS can he not give in so f*cking fast?

Biden offers to keep 2017 Trump tax cuts intact in infrastructure counteroffer to GOP

farley3k wrote:

I like Biden generally and I was a bit hopeful for this administration but FFS can he not give in so f*cking fast?

Biden offers to keep 2017 Trump tax cuts intact in infrastructure counteroffer to GOP

Assuming things go like in the recent past, no matter what a Democratic president offers to the Republicans in an attempt to reach a compromise, no deal will be reached that gets any/enough GOP support to overcome a filibuster. So, in the end, the infrastructure bill will go through via budget reconciliation, and will be as big as can be supported by the hold-out Democrats. So, I don't worry too much about preserving the 2017 tax cuts.

And this offer keeps the "we're trying to compromise" optics.

farley3k wrote:

I like Biden generally and I was a bit hopeful for this administration but FFS can he not give in so f*cking fast?

Biden offers to keep 2017 Trump tax cuts intact in infrastructure counteroffer to GOP

I'd rather they do what Biden's offering. Keep the tax low, but enforce it and close loopholes.

It would also set a minimum rate of 15% to prevent complete tax dodging. But after watching how the administration handled the ARP I think the thinking goes that if they take it, great look how
Bipartisan Biden is, and if they don't "See? I Tried!" as they just pass the maximum they can get Manchin and Sinema to agree with through reconciliation.

Zona wrote:

It would also set a minimum rate of 15% to prevent complete tax dodging. But after watching how the administration handled the ARP I think the thinking goes that if they take it, great look how
Bipartisan Biden is, and if they don't "See? I Tried!" as they just pass the maximum they can get Manchin and Sinema to agree with through reconciliation.

Good news! The 15% minimum tax is apparently what they may be going with instead of lowering the tax rates. However, I'm sure there are loopholes to where Amazon won't be paying that, right? My wishful thinking is they'll actually be paying their fair share now, but... let's be honest, it's America.

Vrikk wrote:

Good news! The 15% minimum tax is apparently what they may be going with instead of lowering the tax rates. However, I'm sure there are loopholes to where Amazon won't be paying that, right? My wishful thinking is they'll actually be paying their fair share now, but... let's be honest, it's America.

Should be set up so they have to pay a flat 15% on all profits and can then apply for a refund based on subsequent tax filings.

They won't even defend their primary economic accomplishment. I'm not feeling a lot of hope, to be honest.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/cXppVzs.png)

I'm all for using more technology to help at the border. If this means less kids in cages then I'm okay with the potential privacy downside.

garion333 wrote:

I'm all for using more technology to help at the border. If this means less kids in cages then I'm okay with the potential privacy downside.

I quite agree, but it's a huge if. I'd rather we used facial recognition technology to track down and punish every 1/6 insurrectionist and rogue cop.

garion333 wrote:

I'm all for using more technology to help at the border. If this means less kids in cages then I'm okay with the potential privacy downside.

This is part of why I didn't have an additional comment on the story. I hate the idea but, if it's actually proving tangibly helpful in this case...

What I would love to see is a promise that once the people's cases are resolved, all data is purged. And of course that promise would have to be accompanied by a law demanding that, with independent audits of data stores to ensure compliance.

How likely is that, though? My personal stance is that facial recognition should be banned, wholesale.

Natus wrote:

I'd rather we used facial recognition technology to track down and punish every 1/6 insurrectionist and rogue cop.

TFW they track your dumbass down because ya just had to gram the t-shirt you wore during the insurrection.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/UMXP4LR.png)

Isn't that a self fulfilling prophecy?

Yep, you called it!

oh god the unintentional irony of that shirt

ruhk wrote:

oh god the unintentional irony of that shirt

I will NEVER understand MAGA choads claiming Orwell for themselves.

Natus wrote:
ruhk wrote:

oh god the unintentional irony of that shirt

I will NEVER understand MAGA choads claiming Orwell for themselves.

Real literacy is hard.

Natus wrote:
ruhk wrote:

oh god the unintentional irony of that shirt

I will NEVER understand MAGA choads claiming Orwell for themselves.

It's the immature psychological defense mechanism projection. It's that simple.

What’s an example of projection?
An example of projection would be the following: A married man who is attracted to a female coworker, but rather than admit this to himself, he might accuse her of flirting with him. Another would be a woman wrestling with the urge to steal, who comes to believe that her neighbors are trying to break into her home.
DSGamer wrote:

They won't even defend their primary economic accomplishment. I'm not feeling a lot of hope, to be honest.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/cXppVzs.png)

That particular reporter has a habit of framing things in the most negative possible way for Democrats. The administration has repeatedly said that the benefits should continue until they’re set to expire in September and that’s a bad thing that Republican governors are ending them earlier, but that it is their right to do so. Which is a true statement, one Biden has no power to prevent, and people who elected them agree with ending it early.

It’s a factual statement. It’s not like the administration is shy about bragging about its accomplishments. Hell he had a press conference recently where he was bragging about the employment numbers that came out, and I saw that criticize as Trumpian!

Edit: You know what, let’s go over some of the positive things the administration and Congress has done so far.

•The average household in the bottom quintile of America’s economic ladder will see its annual income rise by more than 20 percent.

• A family of four with one working parent and one unemployed one will have $12,460 more in government benefits to help them make ends meet.

• The poorest single mothers in America will receive at least $3,000 more per child in government support, along with $1,400 for themselves and additional funds for nutritional assistance and rental aid.

• Child poverty in the U.S. will drop by half.

More than 1 million unionized workers who were poised to lose their pensions will now receive 100 percent of their promised retirement benefits for at least the next 30 years.

• America’s Indigenous communities will receive $31.2 billion in aid, the largest investment the federal government has ever made in the country’s Native people.

• Black farmers will receive $5 billion in recompense for a century of discrimination and dispossession, a miniature reparation that will have huge consequences for individual African-American agriculturalists, many of whom will escape from debt and retain their land as a direct result of the legislation.

• The large majority of Americans who earn less than $75,000 as individuals or less than $150,000 as couples will receive a $1,400 stimulus check for themselves and another for each child or adult dependent in their care.

• America’s child-care centers will not go into bankruptcy en masse, thanks to a $39 billion investment in the nation’s care infrastructure.

• Virtually all states and municipalities in America will exit the pandemic in better fiscal health than pre-COVID, which is to say a great many layoffs of public employees and cutbacks in public services will be averted.

• No one in the United States will have to devote more than 8.5 percent of their income to paying for health insurance for at least the next two years, while ACA plans will become premium-free for a large number of low-income workers.

• America’s unemployed will not see their federal benefits lapse this weekend and will have an extra $300 to spend every week through the first week in September.

The average household in the bottom quintile got 20% raise in their income for the year. These benefits were unprecedentedly generous--not just relative to the history of the US, but also relative to almost every other country's COVID response.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/03/10/coronavirus-stimulus-international-comparison/

And yes, I'm fully aware the first link is the twitter of the reporter I criticized. I regret nothing!

Who is in charge of marketing at Dem HQ? Have them hire Zona, put together a montage of the above, backstopped by testimonials of folks that benefitted from all of this, and put that sh*t everywhere. Everywhere.

gewy wrote:
Natus wrote:
ruhk wrote:

oh god the unintentional irony of that shirt

I will NEVER understand MAGA choads claiming Orwell for themselves.

It's the immature psychological defense mechanism projection. It's that simple.

What’s an example of projection?
An example of projection would be the following: A married man who is attracted to a female coworker, but rather than admit this to himself, he might accuse her of flirting with him. Another would be a woman wrestling with the urge to steal, who comes to believe that her neighbors are trying to break into her home.

It’s also a healthy portion of self delusion. Like when this righty bimbo reacted to the idea of having to show a vaccination card in order to get on a commuter jet, she said, “See. That’s some Nazi sh*t!”

It might also be another example of the fascies co-opting terms and ideas used to criticize them. The most recent term to be co-opted is Critical Race Theory. The right is trying to redefine CRT to mean that all white people are white supremacists. It’s sort of a classic straw man tactic but on a macro scale. I’m sure there will be a word for this soon.

RawkGWJ wrote:

It might also be another example of the fascies co-opting terms and ideas used to criticize them. The most recent term to be co-opted is Critical Race Theory. The right is trying to redefine CRT to mean that all white people are white supremacists. It’s sort of a classic straw man tactic but on a macro scale. I’m sure there will be a word for this soon.

Republican?

Mixolyde wrote:
RawkGWJ wrote:

It might also be another example of the fascies co-opting terms and ideas used to criticize them. The most recent term to be co-opted is Critical Race Theory. The right is trying to redefine CRT to mean that all white people are white supremacists. It’s sort of a classic straw man tactic but on a macro scale. I’m sure there will be a word for this soon.

Republican?

Oooohhh! It’s a Wicker Man argument! Yes?? Somebody call Twitter and tell them to get on this!