NFL 2020: Week 8

Still plenty of game left.

Maybe Brady was the reason the Pats made such good adjustments at half.

Maybe Brady was secretly the coach of the Pats.

Maybe Belichick isn't a grump during interviews, but instead only knows enough about football to give one word answers.

garion333 wrote:

Maybe Belichick isn't a grump during interviews, but instead only knows enough about football to give one word answers.

Watching BB press conferences with this mindset will make them much more entertaining!

Had to give a presentation at work today. I usually pepper them with a bunch of nonsense to make them less boring.

I started off this presentation with a eulogy for those we lost this year:

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/b7oNO3J.png)

Sounds like a great time to play the 49ers.....

Unless it's on a short week where Aaron Jones might not be back + the 2nd round RB we didn't really need in AJ Dillon got the Rona (that slang faded out pretty quick, the virus didn't) and guess who was close to him that needs to isolate. Jamaal Williams.

Packers would be smart to pull a Titans right now and get their game delayed.

Condolences on the 49ers tho Legion. Injuries suck. Hopefully they are smart enough to hide everyone who really doesn't need NFL reps and they can parlay that into a nice draft pick.

Sounds like a cheerful meeting.

garion333 wrote:
Enix wrote:

Nate Tice on today's Athletic NFL podcast: His nickname for Joe Burrow is "Dak Pennington." He runs around and is a volume thrower like Dak Prescott but he has the arm strength of Chad Pennington. Ooof.

That's funny, but a bit disingenuous. Burrow's short game is and was his strongest facet, but while he lacks the arm and velocity to make elite Flacco-like throws outside the hash he does have a good deep arm. Problem is he can't ever find enough time to throw the ball deep thanks to his OL.

The Bengals are winning games because he is able to avoid pressure and get the ball to his guys, even if it's a borderline dump off. The Bengals D has been playing better than earlier this season, but if Burrow wasn't so damn good at recognizing pressure the Bengals would be mentioned in the same breath as the Jets.

To wit:

If Deshaun Watson isn't being called out for his lack of arm strength then Burrow shouldn't either. They're incredibly similar, but Burrow doesn't have a Nuk-Fuller combo to throw to in his rookie year.

I think the "Dak Pennington" crack was mostly tongue-in-cheek because The Athletic guys have been largely complimentary of Burrow. And I should probably quality what I meant by "volume thrower" (my words, not theirs): Burrow, like Dak, throws the ball a lot and largely throws it well.

From the little I've seen of Burrow so far, he has great arm talent (he can make a bunch of different throws accurately and on time) but not great arm strength.

Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Cam, Josh Allen, Aaron Rodgers (still!) and Matt Stafford are guys I'd consider to have strong arms relative to other NFL QBs. Burrow's throws don't come out of his hand like theirs do.

I hope Burrow gets some help soon. He's too good to have such a bad supporting cast.

49ers shut down facilities due to COVID. Legion might want to update that slide.

Rat Boy wrote:

49ers shut down facilities due to COVID. Legion might want to update that slide.

I already had to be picky about who made the slide. A full accounting would have needed at least a couple more slides.

Aren't the Niners on Thursday this week? Or more aptly, Weren't they?

UpToIsomorphism wrote:

Aren't the Niners on Thursday this week? Or more aptly, Weren't they?

As of right now, the game is still on. We'll see if that holds.

The good news is there are so many 49ers injured a facility shutdown really doesn't have that much practical impact.

Optimism?

Enix wrote:

I think the "Dak Pennington" crack was mostly tongue-in-cheek because The Athletic guys have been largely complimentary of Burrow. And I should probably quality what I meant by "volume thrower" (my words, not theirs): Burrow, like Dak, throws the ball a lot and largely throws it well.

From the little I've seen of Burrow so far, he has great arm talent (he can make a bunch of different throws accurately and on time) but not great arm strength.

Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Cam, Josh Allen, Aaron Rodgers (still!) and Matt Stafford are guys I'd consider to have strong arms relative to other NFL QBs. Burrow's throws don't come out of his hand like theirs do.

I hope Burrow gets some help soon. He's too good to have such a bad supporting cast.

Oh, for sure, Burrow has passable arm strength. There's a chance he puts a little more zing on the ball over the next couple years with NFL trainers, but he's never going to let it rip. He throws rainbows.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:

The good news is there are so many 49ers injured a facility shutdown really doesn't have that much practical impact.

IMAGE(https://i.gifer.com/6wBx.gif)