The other day, I was sitting at my desk, feeling a bit depressed. This year has been rough on so many people, and while I recognize that I'm fortunate, it still takes a toll on each and every one of us. Perhaps the most difficult part is the helplessness: The feeling that we have no control over the terrifying circumstances that have characterized 2020. But then I realized something.
I'm motherf*&king TRICHY CLAUS. I'm six feet, one inch of merrymaking might, stacked with so much holiday joy it's leaking out of my pores. For seven straight years, I have clambered to the top of Casa Del Trichy, placed the horn of plenty to my lips, sounded its terrible call, and the Goodjers have rallied each and every time, an army of almost maliciously generous elves. Their raison d'etre is clear, spelled out in the maniacal glee in their twinkling eyes. Without fail, this event has spewed joy all over Gamers With Jobs, leaving a thick crust of merriment over every corner of this website. It's the triple-distilled liquor pulled from the generosity and camaraderie that is baked into the DNA of this community, and let me warn you, friend, this sh!t will get you JACKED.
Yes, it's early. I've done so after some feedback from past participants, and it's for three primary reasons. First, with things being more difficult for some people this year, having extra time to plan and save is a good idea. Second, some of the most popular gifts year after year are handmade, and the amazing artwork and crafts put together by Goodjers takes time. Third, this tradition is a goddamn delight, and each and every one of us need more delight in our lives this year, so screw it. That Christmas creep just turned into a stampede.
If this is your first year, welcome! You have no idea what you're in for, and I do mean that in the best possible way. Just keep the following in mind:
- Fill out this form to provide your information for the Secret Stan. I take the security of everyone's information extremely seriously, downloading the results to a portable hard drive each night and deleting it from the Google Forms data. At the end of the Secret Stan, I delete your information.
- Traditionally, there has been no upper limit for gifts in past years, and we've decided to keep it that way. Spend what you can afford, and no more. I have not once seen anyone disappointed because their gifts weren't expensive enough. In fact, some of the most joyful responses that we've ever seen have been from handmade gifts, tasty homemade treats, or just a small token that shows how much thought went into the gift.
- The deadline this year will be OCTOBER 16th. Yes, that's earlier than usual (we have traditionally aimed for early November to give people a chance to take advantage of Black Friday deals), but as I mentioned earlier, we want to give people time to stalk, plot, craft, scheme, and whatever other dark machinations you lunatics will get into.
- Post pictures or video of you unwrapping your gifts! It's easily my favorite part of the year, and I don't think I'm alone in this.
- If you have questions, comments, concerns, tattoo ideas, or low-fat recipes I can make in a waffle iron, please don't hesitate to reach out and let me know.