2020/21 Soccer Thread: Messxit?

It cuts deep, and close to home.

At this stage, it doesn't even really matter if we get to the competition, the fact is, we qualified. We can stop taking about how long it's been since we qualified.

So,

Van Dijk, TAA, Gomez, Fabinho all out injured. Now Salah has tested positive to COVID.

Oh and one of the Ireland players also tested positive after the game against England last night

These international games need to be binned. Now.

Sorbicol wrote:

So,

Van Dijk, TAA, Gomez, Fabinho all out injured. Now Salah has tested positive to COVID.

Oh and one of the Ireland players also tested positive after the game against England last night

These international games need to be binned. Now.

But the USA's 0-0 draw with Wales yesterday was absolutely scintillating!

...seriously, what is with all these stories of people testing positive AFTER games? Are they not testing before games? The same thing happened with a Florida player after they played my college (American) football team, Texas A&M - a couple of their players tested positive. I guess the good news is that, given the timeline, they may not have given it to us (we've since had three people test positive, but I think from a different source).

Fedaykin98 wrote:

...seriously, what is with all these stories of people testing positive AFTER games? Are they not testing before games? The same thing happened with a Florida player after they played my college (American) football team, Texas A&M - a couple of their players tested positive. I guess the good news is that, given the timeline, they may not have given it to us (we've since had three people test positive, but I think from a different source).

Salah attended his Brother's wedding in Egypt while he was off as well - large crowd, no social distancing and no mask wearing either. There are videos of him dancing at it on the internet. While I can sympathise - it was his brother's wedding after all - if I were Liverpool I'd be absolutely livid with that sort of behaviour. I think Aston Villa's Trezuguet was there too.......

I can't sympathise at all. He (and his brother) knew the risks.

What's the name of the announcer? He really makes this worth it and I've heard him on other SPL highlights.

That would be Ian Crocker.

EDIT: LOL, wrong video. Unless you're interested in a BBC Radio 1 mix by Portishead from 1995.

If it was the live session Portishead did at Roseland I'm interested.

As for "Are Big Clubs Too Big" I didn't watch the video yet and the answer is yes.

I'm sure we all had today's Spain-Germany result

Prederick wrote:

I'm sure we all had today's Spain-Germany result

6-0 Spain, huh?

I think I may just always dislike Germany for the way they dominated 2014, beating a couple teams I like much better (Brazil, Argentina) to do so. Fair play to them and all, I just don't have to like 'em.

I posted this in another thead, but thought it would be relevant here. I did a podcast with Pete Donaldson from The Football Ramble show.

http://istya.libsyn.com/ep-282-critt...

You can use this site to find links to the podcast on other services like iTunes etc https://linktr.ee/isawthatyearsago

1Dgaf wrote:

I posted this in another thead, but thought it would be relevant here. I did a podcast with Pete Donaldson from The Football Ramble show.

http://istya.libsyn.com/ep-282-critt...

You can use this site to find links to the podcast on other services like iTunes etc https://linktr.ee/isawthatyearsago

Talk about a movie one may have seen years ago! Man, I haven't thought about that one in decades.

Explicit language throughout, indeed!

Oh, yes. We don't swear so we let our guests make up for it.

Am I literally putting all of my faith in the idea that in 100 sims of FM 21, Fulham only got relegated 7 times?

Yes. Yes I am.

So... they're in the 8th tier of the pyramid now, then?

Worst start to a season in Pep’s managerial career: 12 points from the first eight games.

Tottenham lead the league, but that could change tomorrow. Hoping for a Pool/Leicester draw.

Meanwhile in the MLS playoffs Orlando beat NYCFC on penalties. Which all sounds fine, except that the decisive penalty save was made by defender Rodrigo Schlegel.

Orlando's starting Keeper Pedro Gallese was celebrating the winning penalty save from NY's Valentin Castellanos, when VAR announced he had moved off his line before the kick was taken.

So the Ref gave him a second yellow to go with the one he'd earned in extra time for time wasting.

Orlando subbed on backup Keeper Brian Rowe but as he stood on his line for the penalty retake the Ref intervened and said Orlando weren't allowed to make subs at this point. So Schlegel took the gloves and Castellanos scored his second attempt.

Both teams then scored one before Schlegel made his save and then Benji Michel scored the winner. It was Orlando's first ever playoff win and the whole game took a bit over three hours to play.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/HWuDYYC.png)

Game of two halves, for sure.

But for as bad a PK as I can remember in the Premier League, Fulham would have had a point today.

Prederick wrote:

Worst start to a season in Pep’s managerial career: 12 points from the first eight games.

And still, contract renewed.

Dimmerswitch wrote:

as bad a PK as I can remember in the Premier League,

Since Fulham's last penalty at least.

Maybe Fulham can convince the authorities to let them take penalties with their hands.

Despite missing half their team, a very comfortable 3-0 victory for Liverpool against Leicester this evening, their 64th game at Anfield without defeat and some mightily impressive performances from the likes of Fabinho, Curtis Jones (boy can he play at this level) and Diogo Jota, who became the first Liverpool player to score in his first 4 full starts for the club. 7 goals for him in 4 games.

And to think everyone thought (me included admittedly!) that Liverpool's Injury crisis (they lost Naby Keita in this game too) would be a serious setback.

Special shoutout to Bobby Firmino who at one point I was starting think was genuinely cursed - he had 2 absolutely certain goals somehow cleared off the line or hitting the post - but persevered and got his goal in the end with a lovely header from a corner. Should have had a hattrick though.

Leicester weren't really at the races apart from a spell in the second half but were denied with some terrific saves from Allison.

Crisis? What crisis?

Did he really fall on his butt after taking the shot? Is that the right highlight?

Prederick wrote:

Maybe Fulham can convince the authorities to let them take penalties with their hands.

Did he really fall on his butt after taking the shot? Is that the right highlight?

Perhaps just a game of rock, paper, scissors instead.

Maybe they'll let us just point to where we wanna kick it, and if the goalie points the same way at the same time, it's a save but if he doesn't it's a goal?

The PK in question is roughly 8 minutes in, for anyone who wants to skip ahead.

If it had been taken at Goodison, I would have honestly asked questions about the groundskeeper.

Speaking of penalties:

The shootout starts at 6:20.