Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War - Catch All

Bizarre occurrence happened during one of my sessions...

I picked this game up and am pretty hopeful I'll enjoy it. Played part of the campaign and a bit of zombie mode. I'm always shy about playing with others since I'm fairly hapless but would be happy to connect with others in-game.

So has this been optimized for the XSX? Or is that something that's forthcoming?

Trashie wrote:

So has this been optimized for the XSX? Or is that something that's forthcoming?

You have to buy the XSX specific version of the game which costs a bit more than the Xbone version. They aren’t giving it as a free upgrade of the Xbone version. Very disappointing.

pandasuit wrote:
Trashie wrote:

So has this been optimized for the XSX? Or is that something that's forthcoming?

You have to buy the XSX specific version of the game which costs a bit more than the Xbone version. They aren’t giving it as a free upgrade of the Xbone version. Very disappointing.

Hmm, curious if that's worth checking out. I'll probably buy it eventually.

anyone having sound issues double check your virus protection settings. On mine it was set to allowed/restricted. I set it to full access and my sound started working again.

happy days are here again!

Completed the campaign last night. It's on the short side 4-6 hours depending on doing the side missions and how much time it takes you figuring out clues.

I was impressed there was some RPG elements and forking story elements based on your decisions. The action scenes were bombastic and very Michael Bayish.

Every year I have a moment when I feel like I could get the new CoD. Has anyone picked it up for PS4? How is the multiplayer ... I’ve heard it is a very bland multi this year and problems with SBMM. Real or overblown internet controversy?

Maclintok wrote:

Every year I have a moment when I feel like I could get the new CoD. Has anyone picked it up for PS4? How is the multiplayer ... I’ve heard it is a very bland multi this year and problems with SBMM. Real or overblown internet controversy?

The gameplay loop for the multiplayer is better than Modern Warfare IMO.

The whole kerfuffle over SBMM is overblown. You have the loud mouths saying it's a bad thing and it's just folks who miss going 25-1 in the same lobby over and over again. They may word it differently but honestly it's the same thing On top of that what SBMM is there this time around it's lighter than what it was for MW. At this point i have over 300 matches so far and 6000 thousand kills. During that time i have probably only had at most 5-6 matches where i felt that things were 'sweaty'

My biggest complaint with the launch this year is that this the lowest count of multiplayer maps at launch we've had in CoD's history. Even with Nuketown showing up a couple weeks later. That and weapon XP is on a very slow drip.

That at least makes it where buying it for PS4 is advantageous, part of their exclusivity this year is to give PS4 players a weekly event with 2x xp and weapon xp. That 2x weapon xp will be huge!

I’m still on the fence about buying BO. I mostly play CoD socially with a specific group of Xbox friends and that group mostly plays Warzone instead of other MW modes. Now that BO is out they are heavily playing BO without me but I suspect once the novelty wears off they will just go right back to Warzone. Not sure I want to but BO for a few weeks of multiplayer.

I’ve been playing MW on PC cross play with my Xbone friends but now that I have a Series X and a 4k HDR display I was thinking of going Xbox this time. Then I saw the XB Series X version costs $10 more than the PC version and while $10 is nothing it pisses me right off that they would do that. Seems like such a cash grab tax on early adopters of new consoles.

Thanks ranalin! A great, detailed response about your gameplay experiences as always.

Hmm, I am admittedly a very vanilla "I just wanna play TDM for 30 minutes before rage quitting" and all I ask is there to be some very good assault rifle options besides AK-47 and of course a nice unlock system. (BTW, they still using the "pick 10" style of customization?)

Don't care about warzone stuff - does Cold War still hook into the main Warzone ecosystem? - so long as I can get a quick fix and play a decent single player campaign when I'm bored... I may consider this a buy.

Maclintok wrote:

Thanks ranalin! A great, detailed response about your gameplay experiences as always.

Hmm, I am admittedly a very vanilla "I just wanna play TDM for 30 minutes before rage quitting" and all I ask is there to be some very good assault rifle options besides AK-47 and of course a nice unlock system. (BTW, they still using the "pick 10" style of customization?)

Don't care about warzone stuff - does Cold War still hook into the main Warzone ecosystem? - so long as I can get a quick fix and play a decent single player campaign when I'm bored... I may consider this a buy.

No longer the pick 10.

All weapons can have up to 5 attachments, unless you use a perk that allows you to have 10 on your main weapon.

Cold War does tie into Warzone. It all ties in together starting with the 1st battle pass season coming up in December.

It's cross platform and cross generational as well. So everyone plays together.

ranalin wrote:

Completed the campaign last night. It's on the short side 4-6 hours depending on doing the side missions and how much time it takes you figuring out clues.

I was impressed there was some RPG elements and forking story elements based on your decisions. The action scenes were bombastic and very Michael Bayish.

Given your Michael Bay comparison, I am assuming this is a Rambo 3-style approach to the Cold War?

On the spectrum of Commando --> Bond --> Tom Clancy --> Tinker/Tailor --> reality, where would you put it?

Top_Shelf wrote:
ranalin wrote:

Completed the campaign last night. It's on the short side 4-6 hours depending on doing the side missions and how much time it takes you figuring out clues.

I was impressed there was some RPG elements and forking story elements based on your decisions. The action scenes were bombastic and very Michael Bayish.

Given your Michael Bay comparison, I am assuming this is a Rambo 3-style approach to the Cold War?

On the spectrum of Commando --> Bond --> Tom Clancy --> Tinker/Tailor --> reality, where would you put it?

Honestly? All the above.

Minor spoiler, if at all, but there's weapons you find during the campaign that's not part of the multiplayer that makes call backs to each of those. As well as easter eggs to Black Ops games in the past.

Oh noes! Now I'm going to have to seriously consider picking this up! I'm a sucker for anything Cold War.

Top_Shelf wrote:

Oh noes! Now I'm going to have to seriously consider picking this up! I'm a sucker for anything Cold War.

Another reminder... it is very short compared to other games

Nuketown was dropped yesterday and they started a 2x xp and 2x weapon xp event that will run till 11/30

ranalin wrote:

Nuketown was dropped yesterday and they started a 2x xp and 2x weapon xp event that will run till 11/30

I love Nuketown and am taking full advantage of the double XP as it's quite the long grind to level up! I am loving this game - my previous CoD experience was years ago so the questions I've seen online questioning whether it's a marked improvement on last year's edition don't apply to me.