Below is an email I got from my aunt yesterday and I am looking for help in replying. I thought about doing research on the Internet but I was hoping the hive mind here could be more helpful.
Things to keep in mind - I love this aunt (although I really can't say I like her) and I don't want to just say "your a racist idiot who falls for anything you read forwarded without any research."
What I really would want is a way to perhaps get her to look more deeply at these things rather than just copy and paste rants.
I am just not sure of a good way to do that. And I am not honestly trying to change her mind so much as formulate rational discussion points. I think she is far to deep down the rabbit hole of trumpism to actually climb out again.
Anyway please help me if you have thoughts about what to say.
Text of email.
I know yo u prob won't read this however I felt it wouldn't hurt if you did, reading all sides of issues we feel is always a good thing . Your wife made a very bold statement on facebook with her blm tee shirt.....that's her side, our side is that this is the true history of salvery in the world , and so America is not the blame. I'm sure that you are aware that in 2019 twice as many unarmed white people were killed in police action than black people so the police are not as racist as blm acclaims. Many of your close family are offened, however that may not be of importance to the two of you, and I guess it really isn't any of my business, just feel bad about it that your wife has so much anger for the good life you have been afforded. From: XXXXXX
Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2020 7:40:49 PM
Subject: Fw: FW: True History of Slavery
True History of Slavery......
This is so informative & interesting! Whoever did all the research did an amazing job!
True history of slavery, and reminders of how easy it is to "revise" it. And the last comment says it all.
As maniacal as it is, it’s hard to ignore this latest leftist drool about statues and monuments.
They do not have, and do not want any perspective because it is all just political for them.
Blacks were not enslaved because they were black, but because they were available.
Slavery has existed in the world for thousands of years.
Whites enslaved whites in Europe for centuries before the first black was brought to the Western hemisphere
Asians enslaved Europeans.
Asians enslaved other Asians.
Africans enslaved other Africans and even today, in North Africa blacks continue to enslave other blacks. Slavery has existed since the Old Testament Biblical times.
A bit of history that is conveniently ignored; between 1500 and the 1860s at least 12 million Africans were brought to the ‘New World’ of the Americas.
Of these 12 million forced into slavery, less than 500,000 were brought to North America. The remaining 2,500,000 Africans went to South America and the Caribbean. By the mid-1600s Europeans were outnumbered by Africans in cities such as Mexico City, Havana and Lima.
A few more historical facts:
1. The first legal slave owner in American history was a black tobacco farmer named Anthony Johnson; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthon...(colonist)
2. South Carolina’s largest slave holder in 1860 was a black plantation owner named William Ellison; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willia...
3. American Indians owned thousands of black slaves; http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histor...
4. In 1830 there were 3,775 free black people who owned 12,740 black slaves; http://www.ironbarkresources.com/sla...
5. Many black slaves were allowed to hold jobs, own businesses and own real estate;
6. Brutal black on black slavery was common in Africa for thousands of years; https://townhall.com/columnists/mich...
7. Most slaves brought from Africa to America were purchased from black slave owners; http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/dis...
8. White people ended legal chattel slavery; This is a useless fact. Since black slaves couldn’t vote and had no rights, it would have been impossible for them to end slavery.
And turning to the present:
1. Barack Obama, who has stoked the fires of racial hatred for the last eight years, is the direct paternal descendant of slave owners;https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ba...
2. You certainly won't hear CNN's Anderson Cooper mentioning Obama's sordid family history, lest Obama might remind Cooper, the son of heiress Gloria Vanderbilt, that his family also was slave owners;https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders....
3. New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who found some Lee and Jackson statues to remove from the Empire State, seems to have forgotten New York is named for one of the most notorious slave traders in history, the Duke of York. Better tear down that Big Apple, Andy.
4. Before defacing and tearing down statues became the latest Leftist fad, Virginia's carpet-bagging Clintonista, Gov. Terry McAuliffe, characterized the Robert E Lee and Stonewall Jackson statues on Richmond's Monument Avenue as "parts of our heritage." After Charlottesville, McAuliffe re-characterized them as "flash points for hatred, division and violence."
5. "Blacks who were never slaves are fighting whites who were never Nazis over a Confederate statue erected by southern Democrats because now Democrats can't stand their own history anymore......yet somehow, it's Trump’s fault!"
6. Recently the brilliant Democrat leaders all took an eight minute knee to honor George Floyd wearing an African scarf. The idiots apparently were not aware that the scarfs that they had draped around their necks were the colors and design of the African Ashanti tribe one of the largest marketers of slavery ever.