Welcome to the GWJ JRPG Club's pick for the third quarter of
the Year of Hell 2020: The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II!
Here is an estimation of how long it takes to beat it (courtesy of HowLongToBeat.com, of course):
If you do not own the game and want to jump in, it is available for the following platforms:
- Playstation 3
- Playstation 4
- Playstation Vita/Playstation TV
- PC via Steam/GoG
The game is currently on sale on Steam for 30% off (valid until July 9th, I believe).
If you are referring to specific story elements, please mark them as spoilers, as not everyone will be at the same point of the story you are. Before the spoiler, if possible, please give a clue as to where you are in the game, so people can better determine if they should click the spoiler button or not.
No need to mark anything from the first game as a spoiler.
If you have not played the first game, or if, like me, you need a refresher, you can access a summary from Trails of Cold Steel II's main menu.
Stealing some info from LastSurprise's post below:
A couple notes from the other thread:
Cold Steel 2 (Relatively) Spoiler-Free Guide to Missables. This will help you find all optional quests, as well as making sure you can get all copies of the books, etc. in the game.
Courtesy of Malkroth (from below in the thread), here's an overview of the various factions at play. Contains heavy spoilers for the first game, obviously.
• Noble Alliance - Lead by the Four Noble Houses (Albarea, Cayenne, Rogner, and Hyarms). Seek to keep the power within Erebonia concentrated with the noble houses, they despise commoners and are staunch anti-reformists. They have basically strong-armed all the nobles underneath them into supporting them or silence with Count Arseid being an exception. Duke Cayenne is the leader of the Alliance.
• Provincial Army - Local military for each province in Erebonia. They are paid for by the taxes from the province and the assets of the Noble House that governs each province. They are basically the personal militaries of the Four Noble Houses.
• Imperial Liberation Front (IFL) - Lead by Crow. Citizens of Erebonia (both noble and common) that are unhappy with Chancellor Osborne and the militaristic expansion of Erebonian over their neighboring nations. All of the leaders (Crow, Scarlet, Vulcan, and Gideon) had their lives destroyed by Osborne's expansion and hold deep personal grudges against him.
• Reformist Party - Lead by Chancellor Osborne (deceased) and Governor Regnitz. They seek to reduce/eliminate the disparity between the nobles and common classes. They are also imperialistic and responsible for Erebonian conquest of neighboring nations (Jurai, aka Jurai Economic Zone (JEZ)).
• Railway Military Police - Claire in their leader. Military force concerned with the railways that provide transportation across Erebonia. Considered an elite military force with better funding and equipment than the Provincial or Imperial armies, but with limited jurisdiction.
• Intelligence Division - Leader by Lechter Arundel. Elite organization that works under Chancellor Osborne, the primary member Class VII interacts with is Millium, who acts as a spy for them.
• Imperial Army - The portion of the Erebonian army that is controlled by the government (ostensibly the emperor, but he has given control over to Osborne). They are broken up into several divisions, with the most prominent being the 3rd and 4th Armored Divisions. Craig the Red (Elliot's dad) is in command of the 4th Armored Division and the general from Zander Gate leads the 3rd Armored Division on the border of Nord. Instructor Neithardt is a member of the Imperial Armor (I forget which division exactly, he was at the gate to Crossbell when it was destroyed).
• Ouroboros - Mysterious faction that is basically an Illuminati type organization. Known members including Blueblanc, Vita Clotilde (Misty), and Sharon Krueger. Very little is known about this organization, although the members you encounter do state that as long their personal goals do not conflict with Ouroboros' larger plans, they are free to do whatever they want. They have influence throughout the entire world and have played a part in starting conflicts everywhere (instigators in the war between Erebonia and Liberl, fueled the events that started Trails in the Sky First Chapter's conflict).
• Prince Olivert and the Courageous - Bastard eldest son of the Imperial Family, he is seeking a path forward for Erebonia outside of both the Reformists and Noble factions. Count Arseid (Laura's father) is the captain of the Courageous.
• Thors Military Academy - An independent military school founded by Emperor Dreichels 250 years ago after the end of the War of the Lions. It is an institution meant to train the future leaders of Erebonia. Classes are divided into noble and commoners. Currently under IFL control. Decisions regarding the school are made by council composed of Rufus Albarea, Irina Reinford, Governor Regnitz, and Prince Olivert, though Olivert is more a figurehead without any real power in the council.
• Class VII - a strange new class with mixed noble and commoner heritage. Each of them was selected to participate in the class because of their natural affinity for the Arcus unit, a new type of battle orbment.
• Class VII (pilot group) - The year prior to the official start of Class VII, the idea and curriculum was tested with a group of four year one (now year two) students: Towa Herschel, Crow Armbrust, Angelica Rogner (daughter of Marquis Rogner), and George Nome. Towa and George were at Thors during the final battle, Angelica had been forced to return home by her father due to her actions in the Saschen Iron Mine, and Crow is the leader of the ILF. George is an orbal genius and Towa is hardworking and compassionate. They are all fast friends of each other and the new Class VII.
• Bracer Guild - Basically non-existent in Erebonia thanks to Chancellor Osborne. The one known remaining branch is in Legram and headed by Toval. The Bracer Guild is an organization of citizens dedicated to protecting and helping the ordinary citizenry. They normally have free reign to operate, but are forbidden from engaging in political matters to maintain their neutrality and independence. Sara is an ex-Bracer.
• Reinford Corporation - Massive industrial and technological corporation led by Irina Reinford (Alisa' mother). She split the organization into four divisions and gave them self-governance to make the massive corporation more nimble. The Noble Alliance took advantage of the situation and took over the first division which they started funneling money and resources into to produce their Soldat units based on the Divine Knight design.