Hidden Gems of HBO Max

Pages

Watched The Nevers and liked it. The story was kind of odd. You don't know what is going on until the last episode and even then some of the other plots aren't cleared up. Also things get more crazy out of nowhere in the last episode of the season.

On the plus side I really liked the steampunk. I thought it was just going to be a x-men type show. There are a couple of hero landings. The steampunk was a nice surprise.

HBO officially announced that there would not be any additional Lovecraft Country seasons. I think that's a good thing, it was an excellent self-contained story.

Definitely not a hidden gem, but I wasn't sure if this should go somewhere else:
NSFW language

Wellington Paranormal, Jemaine Clement's and Taika Waititi’s spinoff from their 2014 movie “What We Do in the Shadows," is now on HBO Max.

I watched the two that were available and laughed my ass off. If you liked "Shadows" then you'll like this show.

ORLY?! With Loki just wrapped, we need something to tide us over until new Ted Lasso starts, so this sounds excellent.

Now I want to re-watch WWDITS.

OG_slinger wrote:

Wellington Paranormal, Jemaine Clement's and Taika Waititi’s spinoff from their 2014 movie “What We Do in the Shadows," is now on HBO Max.

I watched the two that were available and laughed my ass off. If you liked "Shadows" then you'll like this show.

This show is fantastic! Everyone should go watch it. I'm already caught up with the first two seasons because I was able to *cough* "acquire them back when they originally aired. Can't wait for Season 3! And they're almost done filming Season 4.

Wait, there's two seasons, but HBO's only putting episodes up weekly? This shall not stand.

It's some stupid international distribution rights thingy. A few months ago CW got the broadcast rights for the two seasons and part of the deal was HBO Max could stream the episodes the day after they air.

That sounds awesome. My wife and I love What We Do in the Shadows, so we'll check out Wellington Paranormal for sure...

... but not before watching season two of The Knick. I know we're quite late to this particular party, but we started watching season one last week and got immediately hooked. We finished it last night, and we can't wait to start season two over dinner in just a few minutes. Soooooo good!

Isn't there another series linked to that? I remember watching a clip where even Blade (Wesley Snipes) showed up.

Watched Space Jam a new Legacy and it was bad but okay in the end. The main dude can't act at all. He also doesn't have Jordan's charisma. Move was dumb, I mean dumber than you would expect it to be. However, I think most kids will like this movie. I really liked the first movie. This movie doesn't really compare to it. I guess some of the problems were covid related. The new bad guy team was mostly worse than the original Monstars. They did have one standout on the team that outshined the Monstars.

I watched No Sudden Move which was fine. Good actors, good performances, a twisty if a bit hard to follow crime plot. A lot of period-appropriate (1950s) camera lenses being used which I guess was fun for the director but not so fun for the viewer! Just a lot of "why are the edges of this scene all stretchy?" Didn't ruin the movie, but it was just distracting and self-indulgent.

I also checked out the first episode of White Lotus and it was good! Basically a bunch of rich jerks are on vacation in Hawaii and they are awful and self-obsessed in different humorous ways. Kind of feels like a way to prepare myself for Succession Season 3.

I finished No Sudden Moves. I liked it.

Anyone watched Jett? That popped up on my recommendation list and it looks interesting.

mrlogical wrote:

I also checked out the first episode of White Lotus and it was good! Basically a bunch of rich jerks are on vacation in Hawaii and they are awful and self-obsessed in different humorous ways. Kind of feels like a way to prepare myself for Succession Season 3.

I would recommend White Lotus to anyone who has worked in the service industry - especially the hospitality industry - as well as anyone interested in nuanced exploration of class in a setting many folks are familiar with, if not intimately so. There’s definitely a feeling of “pulling back the curtain” to the types of unreasonable bullsh*t resort employees tolerate from their wealthy guests, but so far it hasn’t painted the clueless rich guests as villains.

Also, Jennifer Coolidge (Stiffler’s mom, also from Two Broke Girls) is an acting powerhouse who deserves to be acknowledged as such.

Official trailer is out.

Rewatched kill bill 1 & 2 forgot how great they are.

1st one is great yeah. Vol 2 did not earn a spot on the DVD shelf beside vol 1 though

Only watched them once, but I'm also of the opinion that vol. 1 was way better than 2.

Stele wrote:

1st one is great yeah. Vol 2 did not earn a spot on the DVD shelf beside vol 1 though

How would you know the Bride's real name if you didn't watch both?

(I just watch them again myself when I saw they were dropping off HBO Max. Enjoyed the ride again.)

Never watched Big Bang Theory start to finish. Watching it now (halfway through Season 2) and really liking it. I know it's not really a hidden gem or even relevant in the last 10 or so years but it's newish to me

DeThroned wrote:

Never watched Big Bang Theory start to finish. Watching it now (halfway through Season 2) and really liking it. I know it's not really a hidden gem or even relevant in the last 10 or so years but it's newish to me :)

First couple of seasons hit when I was in grad school. Some of those episodes were painfully accurate. Loved it.

Never seen a single episode of Big Bang Theory... but my wife and I just finished the second (and last) season of The Knick and loved it to pieces.

MannishBoy wrote:
Stele wrote:

1st one is great yeah. Vol 2 did not earn a spot on the DVD shelf beside vol 1 though

How would you know the Bride's real name if you didn't watch both?

(I just watch them again myself when I saw they were dropping off HBO Max. Enjoyed the ride again.)

I haven’t watched them since they came out but I remember really liking Vol 2 whereas Vol 1 was enjoyable but sort of felt more like an unnecessarily drawn out prologue to Vol 2 rather than a film in itself.

Mario_Alba wrote:

Never seen a single episode of Big Bang Theory... but my wife and I just finished the second (and last) season of The Knick and loved it to pieces.

Suuuuuper incredibly unique show. I have a vinyl copy of the 1st season's soundtrack.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:
Mario_Alba wrote:

Never seen a single episode of Big Bang Theory... but my wife and I just finished the second (and last) season of The Knick and loved it to pieces.

Suuuuuper incredibly unique show. I have a vinyl copy of the 1st season's soundtrack.

The soundtrack is as unique as the show itself.

Hoo boy, I can't watch The Knick without wanting to throw up.

Everyone says it's great, and I'm sure it is because I love Soderbergh, but that show's "main material" gets to me in a way some of the most violent content does not.

kuddles wrote:

Hoo boy, I can't watch The Knick without wanting to throw up.

Everyone says it's great, and I'm sure it is because I love Soderbergh, but that show's "main material" gets to me in a way some of the most violent content does not.

I don't blame you. I didn't use to be this squeamish, but when watching The Knick I would look away or cover my eyes during the more graphic parts. My wife did not blink throughout the whole thing, though.

ruhk wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:
Stele wrote:

1st one is great yeah. Vol 2 did not earn a spot on the DVD shelf beside vol 1 though

How would you know the Bride's real name if you didn't watch both?

(I just watch them again myself when I saw they were dropping off HBO Max. Enjoyed the ride again.)

I haven’t watched them since they came out but I remember really liking Vol 2 whereas Vol 1 was enjoyable but sort of felt more like an unnecessarily drawn out prologue to Vol 2 rather than a film in itself.

I remember hearing similar dislike of 2 back then. I kinda recall thinking the pacing was off but now days they both really did it for me. I highly suggest a rewatch.

Pages