Old World: Civ IV combined with Crusader Kings and...Offworld Trading Company??

It just shows up automagically on the Epic version? Thanks.

Soren and Leyla Johnson are currently streaming Old World over on Twitch as part of their Steam release day.

Robear wrote:

It just shows up automagically on the Epic version? Thanks.

Yep I just confirmed the new Hatti nation and new scenarios are available after restarting my Epic client.

Im in, going in a bit blind.

There's a lovely set of tutorials you should play.

It's 25% off from epic right now, once it's in your cart

Same deal here: the scenario shows at $9.99 in the store, but shows up in my content when I load the game.

Me too, it's there.

Robear wrote:

Me too, it's there.

There is/was an issue with Epic that they are sorting out. For the time being they've just unlocked it in the game for everyone. Eventually it should display correctly in the store.

Hi all - finally checked out this thread. Thanks for all the kind words! Hope you are all enjoying Old World, and let me know if you have any questions. Finally, if you are willing to leave a Steam/GOG review, please do so, as it's a huge help for spreading the game.
Cheers!

Thanks, Soren, for all your work on this! It's a fantastic game.

I also have the base game on Epic. Yesterday I also saw the expansion content in my game, and today I see it as purchasable for "free".

I think I saw an update download a couple of days ago, but, annoyingly, Epic doesn't track updates or changelogs so I can't check for sure.

They've been patching this game on a near-weekly basis.

Soren Johnson wrote:

Hi all - finally checked out this thread. Thanks for all the kind words! Hope you are all enjoying Old World, and let me know if you have any questions. Finally, if you are willing to leave a Steam/GOG review, please do so, as it's a huge help for spreading the game.
Cheers!

Soren you've made a really fantastic game, and you've turned me into a gushing fanboy. Shame on you!

Haven't got into a real game yet because I'm trying to really understand what's going on in the tutorials. I'm loving it so far!!

Im sort of enjoying so far. Its a pretty straightforward mashup of Civ and Crusader Kings. Im definitely playing on too hard a difficulty though. I appreciate that at most difficulties, the AI gets no cheaty advantage, just a head start.

One thing I don't get is how to end a war in the early stages of the game. Im in the first 50-80 turns and I dont have the tech for an ambassador yet. This seems to be a pre-requisite for truce. Am I missing some other way out of this war I can't win?

If there's no other way it seems weird that you can't end a war for the first quarter/third of the whole game.

Also, trying to google anything about this game is pretty brutal. Thanks Warhammer: The Old World

I just finished my first game back from a long hiatus. Played on The Good difficulty. My usual Civ strategy of building ‘just enough’ military units got me into some trouble. After my initial expansion - I jot up to 7 cities after taking out some tribe cities, I ran into the Greeks. It didn’t take too long for them to get aggressive, but I was able to defend. I couldn’t mount an offensive though. A while later, Carthage came from the other side with a much bigger force and grabbed one of my cities.

I was able to make peace with them and concentrated on beefing up my relations using trade. I decided I wasn’t going to be able to expand in either direction and focused on keeping the neighbors happy and going for an ambition with - which I got in turn 149. Carthage was around 12 points away from a VP win.

I don’t know how much has changed since I last played. It felt the same, but I know there were many changes. My overall opinion has stayed consistent too. There is a lot to like in Old World and I really enjoy the 4Xiness of it - the maps, resource system, developing my cities, military, orders. But, the character system demands wayyyyy to much attention (at least on default settings). I feel like I’m constantly getting messages to upgrade this person, another person is born, another died, replace a governor, etc… I’m trying to get back to the cool 4X I’m playing. Sometimes it feels like I need to click through a dozen pop ups before I can get back to the 4X portion.

Also, looking through the characters, trying to determine who I need to like me more gets tedious. It would be nice if there was some type of notification or easy way to get suggestions for who to influence, change religion, etc… I’m not a fan of Crusader Kings, so I hope CK doesn’t keep influencing other strategy games.

Clearly, I think I’m in the minority as a ton of people like CK and the character interaction in Old World. There is so much good in the game that I’m inclined to try and find my happy balance with the settings to see if I can make the characters and events more of small diversion instead of an equal partner of the 4X portion. Overall I had a lot of fun in my first game, I just need to try and tailor it to my tastes.

There is a 'no characters' option for multiplayer games, though my terribly memory is convinced it can be used in single player as well.

I'm thinking of trying it but may try something a bit less drastic, like decreasing the event frequency and maybe character longevity so I don't need to replace characters as much.

robc wrote:

I just finished my first game back from a long hiatus. Played on The Good difficulty. My usual Civ strategy of building ‘just enough’ military units got me into some trouble. After my initial expansion - I jot up to 7 cities after taking out some tribe cities, I ran into the Greeks. It didn’t take too long for them to get aggressive, but I was able to defend. I couldn’t mount an offensive though. A while later, Carthage came from the other side with a much bigger force and grabbed one of my cities.

I was able to make peace with them and concentrated on beefing up my relations using trade. I decided I wasn’t going to be able to expand in either direction and focused on keeping the neighbors happy and going for an ambition with - which I got in turn 149. Carthage was around 12 points away from a VP win.

I don’t know how much has changed since I last played. It felt the same, but I know there were many changes. My overall opinion has stayed consistent too. There is a lot to like in Old World and I really enjoy the 4Xiness of it - the maps, resource system, developing my cities, military, orders. But, the character system demands wayyyyy to much attention (at least on default settings). I feel like I’m constantly getting messages to upgrade this person, another person is born, another died, replace a governor, etc… I’m trying to get back to the cool 4X I’m playing. Sometimes it feels like I need to click through a dozen pop ups before I can get back to the 4X portion.

Also, looking through the characters, trying to determine who I need to like me more gets tedious. It would be nice if there was some type of notification or easy way to get suggestions for who to influence, change religion, etc… I’m not a fan of Crusader Kings, so I hope CK doesn’t keep influencing other strategy games.

Clearly, I think I’m in the minority as a ton of people like CK and the character interaction in Old World. There is so much good in the game that I’m inclined to try and find my happy balance with the settings to see if I can make the characters and events more of small diversion instead of an equal partner of the 4X portion. Overall I had a lot of fun in my first game, I just need to try and tailor it to my tastes.

And this is where I think Distant Worlds' automation settings could be helpful to reduce the amount of busy work that a player finds tedious to free them up to focus on what they find enjoyable.

I didn't get a chance to buy OW this weekend with all sorts of things happening over the weekend. Not sure it's my thing for different reasons than robc though - I just wouldn't want to be stuck in the Classical era, that's all; part of the 4X experience for me is the wild matchups that can happen due to tech disparity.

polypusher wrote:

Im sort of enjoying so far. Its a pretty straightforward mashup of Civ and Crusader Kings. Im definitely playing on too hard a difficulty though. I appreciate that at most difficulties, the AI gets no cheaty advantage, just a head start.

One thing I don't get is how to end a war in the early stages of the game. Im in the first 50-80 turns and I dont have the tech for an ambassador yet. This seems to be a pre-requisite for truce. Am I missing some other way out of this war I can't win?

If there's no other way it seems weird that you can't end a war for the first quarter/third of the whole game.

Also, trying to google anything about this game is pretty brutal. Thanks Warhammer: The Old World

I know there are random events that can happen to give you options for peace like the opponent offers a marriage with your heir to end the war. I haven't been at war enough times early game to be sure of any other options though. I tend to try and appease rival nations while going to war with the various tribes for expansion early game.

Epic's currently-active-until-Jun 16th Mega Coupon is redeemable against it right now for a 25% off the asking price.

Soren Johnson wrote:

Hi all - finally checked out this thread. Thanks for all the kind words! Hope you are all enjoying Old World, and let me know if you have any questions. Finally, if you are willing to leave a Steam/GOG review, please do so, as it's a huge help for spreading the game.
Cheers!

Great game Soren; I loved it so much I bought it twice (Epic and Steam). Please continue to push the strategy envelope in bold new directions, it's greatly appreciated by all of us.

So I had the AI beat me in a game last week on a points victory, which hasn't happened often. I had the Hittites on 2nd highest difficulty (first time ramping it up that high; I also have my games set so AIs don't start with extra cities). I got bogged down early, placed in the midst of most of the AIs and got tagged with no horses anywhere close to my region (not great given my special unit). I was able to conquer my way to some breathing room and have a points lead, eventually knocking Carthage out. But it turned out I should've been paying more attention to Rome, who had plenty of room to expand and was busy wrecking Egypt on a section of map I hadn't established spy networks in to see. Next thing I knew, they had jumped me on points, and it was too late for me to do much of anything about it (my main army was on the wrong side of the map, no time to build a couple extra wonders, too far from final ambitions, etc).

I'm so impressed with the AI in this game. It can do all the things it needs to, from establishing cities to putting up sizable armies, to actually using its armies shockingly well. I admit I've save-scummed some wars, trying to get a sense of how the AI reacts to different tactics, and it's just so good at punishing mistakes. If you leave a unit vulnerable, especially a high-value one, the AI will take it.

In my next game, I went back to Egypt (back down a difficult level) and won on ambitions. But it definitely took some doing. A surprisingly similar map, stuck in the middle and surrounded by AIs, again no horses within a zip code of my territory. I intended to try and push back Assyria, but Babylon declared a surprise war in the early game, so I spent my time first fending that off and then knocking them out. By that point, Assyria was much too established for me to be much of a threat, so I turned to Persia. I thought I had a distinct unit advantage, but again the AI just kept finding ways to stymie me, switching between focusing everything on killing one unit to doing modest damage to several units to break my siege of their capital (Parsa). I thought I was going to quickly overwhelm the city, but Parasa was super fortified (at least a moat; maybe towers?), which I wasn't prepped for (went in with two onagers, a ballista, and assorted melee/ranged armies). Before long, I had it surrounded and had started to whittle it down, but they rallied a bunch of spearmen and archers from their other cities and forced me to draw back (no scumming this time). In the end, it didn't matter because I finished out my ambitions ftw, but the war was a draw that had me licking my wounds.

I've got about 10 games under my belt at this point, and I'm still continually impressed at how well it plays, how the events system can surprise you, etc.

I just finished my 4th recent game. The first 3 on The Good, the last one on The Noble. I’ve been using the Old World map, but playing different nations. The first one I lost, then I won the last 3.

I love this map. Each starting location felt very different. I don’t think I’ll continue to use it once I get through the nations, but it’s great to try from the different spots. It’s a huge map, so much of the game I have no idea who is doing what on the other side of the map. The downside is that turns can start to crawl a little towards the mid game, even on a new computer - but it isn’t anything intolerable.

A couple of weird thing about the 3 games I won. Each was an ambition victory at turn 140 +/- 5 turns. Also, in 2 of the games I don’t think I had any wars with a major nation. The other I think I briefly fought with one and made peace which was never broken. It’s been very easy to maintain the peace, so my game mostly consisted of fighting tribes and barbarians - then building peaceably checking off the ambitions. Not saying it is a bad thing, but I didn’t expect to be able to play so peacefully.

On my last couple of games I did turn down event frequency to low, and it did help. Towards the end of the game there can still be a lot of event / character upgrade windows - more than I’d like.

So, I tried not to dwell too much on the characters, and it did help me enjoy the game more. I focused on keeping the families happy. In the mid game during expansion I usually hit a spot where it gets a little rough to keep everyone happy, but then I sort it out. I try to pick a Chancellor with good discipline to pacify cities; a spymaster with good wisdom for science stealing; the diplomat doesn’t seem to matter too much since they only seem to get mission bonuses with the high synod. Of course the stats can help with the resources they generate.

This is probably the last time I’ll comment on it unless my opinion improves, but the character stuff feels like busywork. I don’t enjoy scanning the lists (even though they aren’t that long), assigning people to jobs. Maybe I have no imagination, but the characters are just bags of stats to me to fulfill some role. In RPGs with a story focus I totally get into the characters (think Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Guardians of the Galaxy). It’s just beyond the scope of a strategy game to make the characters that engaging, and that is kinda what it takes for me. Other wise they are just tools to try and win the game.

Luckily there is still a bunch to the game I do like, and I think that is a testament to the economy part of the game. I’d love it if the game also had some sort of logistics aspect for getting food / iron / stone and wood to the cities they needed to get to. Maybe the ability to define trade routes or maybe they automatically travel through the trade network. Then when at war you could try and strangle the enemy’s supplies and have to protect your own. Maybe it would bog the game down too much, but if anyone could get it to work I’d have faith in Soren Johnson

What map size and difficulty settings do people like? Once I’m done with the Old World map and go random, I think I would like to step the size down from huge so I could play faster games. Also I tend to be a player who tries to win via the path of least resistance. At what difficulty do you think it forces you to engage in the military side of the game more? Maybe that is also a factor of the map size? With the huge map I’ve had a very peaceful existence on The Good and The Noble.

Any other settings you find really improves the game?