Coronavirus Tales

My turn now—hit me like a truck last night and today. Can’t barely get out of bed all day, let alone go get tested one more time. So it still could be something else—again, still?—who knows. Feels like a real-bad, knock you on your butt flu. Just hope it stays that way. But aside from all the aches and general miserableness, it also kept me from finishing the final Metroid Dread boss today

Thinking of you. Metroid Dread boss will have to hold back its disappointment and be prepared for an ass kicking at some point in the future. I wish strength onto your immune system.

Hope you feel better soon

Antichulius wrote:

My turn now—hit me like a truck last night and today. Can’t barely get out of bed all day, let alone go get tested one more time. So it still could be something else—again, still?—who knows. Feels like a real-bad, knock you on your butt flu. Just hope it stays that way. But aside from all the aches and general miserableness, it also kept me from finishing the final Metroid Dread boss today

In our area, RSV has been spreading quickly and basically mimics a severe case of the flu. Doesn't usually lead to extreme outcomes like Covid but its more prevalent in children. (I am not at a medical expert...my wife is a OR nurse and her organization started seeing RSV cases tick up last August)

Feel better Antichulius

mindset.threat wrote:
Antichulius wrote:

My turn now—hit me like a truck last night and today. Can’t barely get out of bed all day, let alone go get tested one more time. So it still could be something else—again, still?—who knows. Feels like a real-bad, knock you on your butt flu. Just hope it stays that way. But aside from all the aches and general miserableness, it also kept me from finishing the final Metroid Dread boss today

In our area, RSV has been spreading quickly and basically mimics a severe case of the flu. Doesn't usually lead to extreme outcomes like Covid but its more prevalent in children. (I am not at a medical expert...my wife is a OR nurse and her organization started seeing RSV cases tick up last August)

Feel better Antichulius

Same here, all four of us had it. Awful.

After sleeping more than 24 of the last 48 hours with help of NyQuil, I managed to drag myself out of bed long enough to get tested. And sure enough, positive.

Antichulius wrote:

After sleeping more than 24 of the last 48 hours with help of NyQuil, I managed to drag myself out of bed long enough to get tested. And sure enough, positive.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get better soon.

Good luck Antichulius!

Hope it passes quickly Antichulius.

Feel better soon, Anti <3

Assuming the recommendation is approved I'll be getting a J&J booster soon. Lots of discussion on the web from J&J people already getting a different booster since it seems most pharmacies don't ask and don't check records, but I'll stick with the official guidelines for now.

Hopefully my 6 and 8 year old will be getting vaccinated soon. My wife is technically eligible for a Pfizer booster now, just need to find a good date when she can potentially be resting for a day or two if there are side effects.

I could be wrong, but I thought people who got J&J originally are supposed to get one of the mRNA jabs for their booster.

Yeah. They are also initial reports that you should mix the booster if you got pfizer or moderna.

I went for straight Pfizer booster. For me, getting it sooner was important.

RawkGWJ wrote:

I could be wrong, but I thought people who got J&J originally are supposed to get one of the mRNA jabs for their booster.

"Supposed to"? I don't think that is true in the US. Germany has been big on mixing AZ and mRNA but I don't think J&J or any US government agency has recommended this at any point.

The CDC Vaccine committee is supposed to meet on Thursday to discuss (and maybe issue) recommendations.

It's probably not a great idea to spread vaccine FOMO.

Mix and match boosters didn't have enough data for them to recommend yet, and they're not looking to recommend any specific combinations, just the idea that getting a booster of a different vaccine in general is acceptable.
https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...

It's worth adding that while the J&J vaccine has lower effectiveness against hospitalization, it has slightly higher effectiveness against death (95% vs 91%, though that could just be an issue of sample size as there were a LOT more mRNA vaccines given than J&J ones). The real benefit though is it has shown no indication so far that the protection it provides wanes over time like both mRNA vaccines have shown. Because of this there was some discussion on whether to consider the second J&J shot a booster or just the second shot of the primary inoculation. I imagine it'll just be considered a booster by everyone just to cut down on potential confusion.

It's worth noting that the mRNA boosters showed diminished antibody levels between the 15 and 29 day tests, so it looks an awful lot like while mRNA vaccines provide higher initial protection against hospitalization, they will need more frequent boosters, and that will be the main trade off between them and the J&J vaccine.

Yeah the news last night said J&J booster isn't because it's diminished, just to increase the protection

Feeling pretty good we got that one now

Well, but antibodies are not the entire story. Even as they drop, your immune system is primed to respond. I think active antibodies are ready to jump into action right away, but only against the proteins they know about. Your second-rank immune system reaction is what will actually learn and go into action after the initial detection, and that is not based on antibodies, I don't think. (Anyone know for sure?)

You talking about t cells and longterm immune memory?

I think so.

I'm not going to have a choice about the booster being mix n match because AZ will be discontinued in Aus by the time my 6 months rolls around. Which is good because I like variety. and following medical advice

f*ck.

My oldest cousin on mom's side is in the hospital with covid. Oxygen at 85, not good. Just finding out that his 2 kids had it in the last week or 2 but both recovered after a few days of flu like stuff. They're like 20 and 16. But they probably gave it to him, and their mom. They divorced a few years back but she's in the hospital too. Don't know how bad she is.

Kids might end up orphans because no one got vaccinated all summer when it's been widely available.

Sorry to hear that Stele.

A week now of sleeping 12 hours a night and spending most of the days in bed, and no sign yet of improvement. I haven’t needed a hospital and COVID’s not been affecting my lungs—I thank the vaccine for that—but it’s still been awful, and it’s really starting to affect my mental health. Tonight got pretty bad. Started writing a whole thing in the depression thread before just giving up and deleting it all.

Sorry to hear about your family Stele—COVID sucks

Oof. Hang in there Antichulius.

Crappy virus doing crappy things.