Coronavirus Tales

So yeah, my second Moderna shot symptoms lasted 4 days. That's a new one on me.
Fever/flu/badness on day one, and then dizzy, weak, out of it for next three days.

I must now have an extra, super-duper amount of antibodies. Right?

Right?

Roo wrote:

So yeah, my second Moderna shot symptoms lasted 4 days. That's a new one on me.
Fever/flu/badness on day one, and then dizzy, weak, out of it for next three days.

I must now have an extra, super-duper amount of antibodies. Right?

Right?

Further data required. Please confirm your opinion on the Windows phone and clippy.

Stealthpizza wrote:
Roo wrote:

So yeah, my second Moderna shot symptoms lasted 4 days. That's a new one on me.
Fever/flu/badness on day one, and then dizzy, weak, out of it for next three days.

I must now have an extra, super-duper amount of antibodies. Right?

Right?

Further data required. Please confirm your opinion on the Windows phone and clippy.

Hi! It looks like you're having vaccine side effects! Would you like help with that?

MilkmanDanimal wrote:
Stealthpizza wrote:
Roo wrote:

So yeah, my second Moderna shot symptoms lasted 4 days. That's a new one on me.
Fever/flu/badness on day one, and then dizzy, weak, out of it for next three days.

I must now have an extra, super-duper amount of antibodies. Right?

Right?

Further data required. Please confirm your opinion on the Windows phone and clippy.

Hi! It looks like you're having vaccine side effects! Would you like help with that?

If we have to get booster shots, I am going to call them "Service Packs."

Mixolyde wrote:
MilkmanDanimal wrote:
Stealthpizza wrote:
Roo wrote:

So yeah, my second Moderna shot symptoms lasted 4 days. That's a new one on me.
Fever/flu/badness on day one, and then dizzy, weak, out of it for next three days.

I must now have an extra, super-duper amount of antibodies. Right?

Right?

Further data required. Please confirm your opinion on the Windows phone and clippy.

Hi! It looks like you're having vaccine side effects! Would you like help with that?

If we have to get booster shots, I am going to call them "Service Packs."

If only they'd have had a vaccine for Microsoft Vista.

I haven't broken down but I certainly do feel annoyed about this. About a year ago now there were all kinds of articles about how workers were just as productive at home and how that was surprising but great...etc. Now it is just all about forcing them back to the office - with no discussion of why. If the productivity was just as good at home, why?

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/PKvwxb3.jpeg)

I have heard people say this but I don't believe it is entirely true. Some industries are more built around WFH then others, so it really depends on a lot of factors. I can give my own anecdotal experience where my productivity over the past year was closer to 75% of normal. My company accounted for this when planning the work for the past year so it might look like I was at 100%.

I am very thankful my company kind of split the difference and we get around 50% wfh. As we're in development/manufacturing, it's not really feasible to be 100% and I doubt I would want than much anyway. It's nice to get out of the house/neighborhood at times.

My IT group was told we were doing great and we could just stay working from home, and, to reinforce that fact, they tore out our desks in our wing and redesigned it for another group. My wife and I are both expecting to WFH permanently at this point.

We're voluntary back to the office in July... for now.

After giving every other Friday off for a year, now they're offering flex work schedules. You can work 4x10 and keep Fridays off or whatever. But back to 40 minimum hours.

Not requiring vaccines to go back to office... So 0 guarantee to protect yourself from coworker who may not have it.

Meanwhile the 2 or 3 small offices we closed are full remote employees now but the rest of us near an office can't request full remote or move or anything... for now.

Those "for nows" are just hanging there like when are you going to change your mind and force us all back to the office? And why?!

Just a whole clusterf*ck of why. If it ain't broke...

MilkmanDanimal wrote:

My IT group was told we were doing great and we could just stay working from home, and, to reinforce that fact, they tore out our desks in our wing and redesigned it for another group. My wife and I are both expecting to WFH permanently at this point.

My company is significantly downsizing the size of our office space, and since we own the buildings, we're going to lease out the newly vacated parts as commercial space.

A couple of us have been full-time WFH for years now as we don't live in Santa Cruz, but most of the locals are going to stay home now too. We'll just have a small in-person office for those that want it, and for a couple server racks for a few services we run in-house.

I think for a lot of employers it's a trust issue. Sure they had to allow wfh during the shut down but now that the herd thinks the danger is passed it's back to normal.

But a casual glance at indeed.com shows a healthy number of wfh jobs. So maybe the landscape is changing. Part of me thinks that a lot of the press the issue is getting is just media hype. They have to fill the post trump void with something.

My company that is under a much larger company is opening in September and is mostly optional with the tech organization being 100% work from home.

I work for the federal government (in Canada) and my department has said that given the directives from PHAC (Public Health Agency of Canada) change every couple of weeks, there really is no point in making any attempt to have anyone but essential workers in the office (there are some mailroom people that have to be in there due to legislative reasons surrounding patents and when they arrive in the office) and those for whom working at home was having a deleterious effect on their mental health.

Everyone else, they have basically said "Dunno. 2022ish??"

Is Canada hiring?

When our first lockdown finished, the CIO praised everyone for working well from home without affecting productivity, then we were told that working from the office will be mandatory in future.

Mixolyde wrote:

Is Canada hiring?

You laugh, but the patent office is actually hiring right now.

mudbunny wrote:
Mixolyde wrote:

Is Canada hiring?

You laugh, but the patent office is actually hiring right now.

Who's laughing? My home is becoming unrecognizable.

Teaching through a screen is horrible on all levels. I will be fully, fully vaccinated next Monday. I hope they get down to teenagers getting vaccinated in September. Vaccines are going quickly here.

The sooner I get a classroom without masks the better. Both teaching English, and teaching Music, with masks on sucks rocks. Hoping for no masks cause we're all vaccinated, sometime in the fall...

Not sure if the school will require vaccines, but...probably?

A study made headlines here in Germany a few days ago equating the effectiveness of online schooling to summer vacation...

I actually went into the office for the first time in 18 months (more or less) yesterday, after my laptop imploded and I needed to go and see our IT guys to get it rebuilt.

It really felt very odd. Looks like my work contract will be changed in September to account for me being expected to work from home the vast majority of my time. This is a good thing.

Stele wrote:

We're voluntary back to the office in July... for now.

After giving every other Friday off for a year, now they're offering flex work schedules. You can work 4x10 and keep Fridays off or whatever. But back to 40 minimum hours.

Not requiring vaccines to go back to office... So 0 guarantee to protect yourself from coworker who may not have it.

Meanwhile the 2 or 3 small offices we closed are full remote employees now but the rest of us near an office can't request full remote or move or anything... for now.

Those "for nows" are just hanging there like when are you going to change your mind and force us all back to the office? And why?!

Just a whole clusterf*ck of why. If it ain't broke...

"Can I move to a location where i can work remotely?"
"no"
*a short time later*
"ok I'd like to inform you I will be taking a job with another company that will allow me to work remotely"
"can you train your replacement?"
"no"

In theory, I'm the ideal person for 100% WFH -- I'm more productive when I don't have a bunch of in-office distractions, and I hate people. But I did it from 2010 til 2014 and ended up hating it enough to take a massive paycut for something local where I could actually go into the office. I found WFH shockingly isolating, and that became an issue. The tools are better now, and that certainly helps, but there are other issues with it. Studies consistently find that 100% WFH people get fewer and smaller raises and are passed over for promotion more often.

I dunno -- I think I'm looking forward to being back in the office a couple days per week. Though I say that and realize that I could have been going in this whole time. The office is 5 minutes away and has basically been completely empty for the last year+, and yet I only went in a handful of times when I had some task that would be easier directly connected to the network.

And yeah, there's also the corporate trust issue. The first time there's some high-profile case of a bunch of employees found not doing the work despite claiming the time, a bunch of these pro-WFH corps are going to call everyone back in. But maybe not. They have to know that they're getting more hours out of a decent number of their employees just because most people end up never being off the clock when working from home full-time.

I vividly recall having a department director who felt WFH people never did anything. When I went into the office, the first thing I saw was all the cool bros having a nerf gun battle.

Our company has thankfully been good about remote work. The CEO was impressed that productivity didn't decrease so ended up moving to his island he owns in Hawaii and going forward is working from there (can look it up in the news). Basically told everyone they can work wherever the hell they want to.

So a lot of co-workers, including my self, are moving out of state to wherever the hell we want. I plan to work remotely moving forward.

Awhile back they polled us asking if in the future we want to work in the office, remotely, or do a hybrid. Our office remains closed and no word on when it will reopen. Doesn't seem like they're in a big hurry but its also a company that gets in a big hurry without warning.

The problem of course is when the CEO steps down and the replacement says you have to come in to the office or they just change their mind out of the blue and say you have to come in. Hopefully that isn't the case. It's interesting so many employees are quitting over going back to the office. Maybe that will change the dynamic of things on a more permanent basis.

If the entire team/group works from home, things like promotions and raises would probably remain fair. But if most of the team is in an office and you are remote, you get left out of a lot of work conversations (not the water cooler stuff but things that would qualify as work) which does lower your visibility. Is this wrong, yeah probably. But I don't see it not happening.

With all the bad PR that companies that order their employees back to work are getting, I am certain that many are going to pretend to embrace WFH. My prediction is most of these companies are going to eventually open new reqs that are office only and slowly reduce the WFH either through attrition or layoffs. My company is going to a WFH 2 days a week which might last longer.

billt721 wrote:

In theory, I'm the ideal person for 100% WFH -- I'm more productive when I don't have a bunch of in-office distractions, and I hate people. But I did it from 2010 til 2014 and ended up hating it enough to take a massive paycut for something local where I could actually go into the office. I found WFH shockingly isolating, and that became an issue. The tools are better now, and that certainly helps, but there are other issues with it. Studies consistently find that 100% WFH people get fewer and smaller raises and are passed over for promotion more often.

I dunno -- I think I'm looking forward to being back in the office a couple days per week. Though I say that and realize that I could have been going in this whole time. The office is 5 minutes away and has basically been completely empty for the last year+, and yet I only went in a handful of times when I had some task that would be easier directly connected to the network.

And yeah, there's also the corporate trust issue. The first time there's some high-profile case of a bunch of employees found not doing the work despite claiming the time, a bunch of these pro-WFH corps are going to call everyone back in. But maybe not. They have to know that they're getting more hours out of a decent number of their employees just because most people end up never being off the clock when working from home full-time.

This.

My experience has been it's very isolating, distractions are worse at home (small children), and productivity suffers on collaborative, new endeavors (probably not so much on standardized work).

But I also get that some folks love love love it. I'd expect to see much more hybrid.

I just maintain a good relationship with my boss and others above/adjacent to him, and keep conversations going frequently by phone or Teams. Seems to work.

Crawley wrote:

Our company has thankfully been good about remote work. The CEO was impressed that productivity didn't decrease so ended up moving to his island he owns in Hawaii and going forward is working from there (can look it up in the news). Basically told everyone they can work wherever the hell they want to.

So a lot of co-workers, including my self, are moving out of state to wherever the hell we want. I plan to work remotely moving forward.

Awhile back they polled us asking if in the future we want to work in the office, remotely, or do a hybrid. Our office remains closed and no word on when it will reopen. Doesn't seem like they're in a big hurry but its also a company that gets in a big hurry without warning.

The problem of course is when the CEO steps down and the replacement says you have to come in to the office or they just change their mind out of the blue and say you have to come in. Hopefully that isn't the case. It's interesting so many employees are quitting over going back to the office. Maybe that will change the dynamic of things on a more permanent basis.

Lucky.

That's what I was hoping for from my office since they were so quick to move to WFH and seemed to be so successful. I don't know where the push back is coming from.

Some companies have serious real estate sunk costs, long term contracts for office space...