Coronavirus Tales

Antichulius wrote:

Anyway. Her results are negative. So we can go back to the semblance of normal of trying to avoid catching it.

That's awesome! Great news.

lunchbox12682 wrote:

My wife was like that earlier this week, but given she's overworked right now, we think it's allergies and burnout.

I feel that. I can't claim to be overworked, but burnout? Sure.

ColdForged wrote:
Antichulius wrote:

Anyway. Her results are negative. So we can go back to the semblance of normal of trying to avoid catching it.

That's awesome! Great news.

lunchbox12682 wrote:

My wife was like that earlier this week, but given she's overworked right now, we think it's allergies and burnout.

I feel that. I can't claim to be overworked, but burnout? Sure.

Yeah, my wife is busier now on WFH then in office. I hadn't thought that was possible.

lunchbox12682 wrote:

Yeah, my wife is busier now on WFH then in office. I hadn't thought that was possible.

That right there was me moving to WFH. And me again doing WFH and the rest of the household the past couple days. I'm definitely on burnout and barreling through anyway. I feel for your wife.

Man, this is the end for buffets, isn't it? I haven't been to one in like, four years, and now they're gone for good, aren't they?

Funny thing is I used to stay away from them during flu season even in normal times.

cheeze_pavilion wrote:

Man, this is the end for buffets, isn't it? I haven't been to one in like, four years, and now they're gone for good, aren't they?

Funny thing is I used to stay away from them during flu season even in normal times.

Quite possibly. Though as I understand it, the danger with COVID-19 doesn't come from the food getting contaminated (your digestive tract basically destroys it), it comes from getting the virus from the serving utensils or dishes onto your hands and then touching your face. So if you're getting takeout you should wash your hands after eating as well as before.

cheeze_pavilion wrote:

Man, this is the end for buffets, isn't it? I haven't been to one in like, four years, and now they're gone for good, aren't they?

Funny thing is I used to stay away from them during flu season even in normal times.

Not sure why buffets are any worse than the other options.

Both the other half and I were aghast to receive an email that the local BD's mongolian style buffet was opening back up today for full service, including dine in. Neither of us have any interest in eating out right now, and we used to dine out 2 or 3 times a week prior to all this.

Vargen wrote:

Quite possibly. Though as I understand it, the danger with COVID-19 doesn't come from the food getting contaminated (your digestive tract basically destroys it), it comes from getting the virus from the serving utensils or dishes onto your hands and then touching your face. So if you're getting takeout you should wash your hands after eating as well as before.

LtWarhound wrote:

Not sure why buffets are any worse than the other options.

Both the other half and I were aghast to receive an email that the local BD's mongolian style buffet was opening back up today for full service, including dine in. Neither of us have any interest in eating out right now, and we used to dine out 2 or 3 times a week prior to all this.

that part I bolded right there is what was on my mind. No matter how I feel or what I do (heck, I used to bring hand sanitizer with me even before all this) , I don't know if there's going to be enough of a customer demand to sustain them.

There might be a brief spike in patronage, mostly of the type that see ignoring the risk as a point of political pride, but they also tend to be the type that tips poorly and yells at staff over the slightest problem. It won't last long though. In a month, possibly less, either new shut-down orders will be issued, or enough people will know someone who has gotten sick that they'll quietly stop going out, even if they won't admit the reason.

Yeah, at some point even the the more thick-headed people have to realize it's the virus, and not the shutdowns, that's hurting the economy. Consumer confidence is not coming back for a long time.

Finally switched over to spending all 5 days a week working remotely. Can't wait for my weeks to turn into a congealed haze.

"Hey Jake! What day is it?"
"Uh.... Mondnesaturday?"

Prederick wrote:

"Hey Jake! What day is it?"
"Uh.... Mondnesaturday?"

That sounds about right.

I was musing over this virus and wondering if it can cause reckless behavior in order to spread itself. There exist a fungus or disease that takes over the ant's mind. What if this virus effects people in similar ways causing them to fight to reopen places or call the virus a hoax. Maybe it only effects a small number of people this way like only a small number of people becoming super spreaders. Maybe I looked at that zombie MAGA meme to many times.

Baron Of Hell wrote:

I was musing over this virus and wondering if it can cause reckless behavior in order to spread itself. There exist a fungus or disease that takes over the ant's mind. What if this virus effects people in similar ways causing them to fight to reopen places or call the virus a hoax. Maybe it only effects a small number of people this way like only a small number of people becoming super spreaders. Maybe I looked at that zombie MAGA meme to many times.

That’s not the virus, that’s just human stupidity. In centuries to come and historians are asking the question why the impact of Covid-19 was as bad as it was in some countries, they’ll point at leaders like Donald Trump and the Conservative Government here in the UK as say ‘well, look at the leaders they elected to lead them. They bought it on themselves, mostly’.........

Baron Of Hell wrote:

I was musing over this virus and wondering if it can cause reckless behavior in order to spread itself. There exist a fungus or disease that takes over the ant's mind.

Note that fungus are closer to animals than plants, whereas a virus is not really even alive. I won't say its impossible, but there's just not enough in this coronavirus for it to be so smart.

Plus that sort of behaviour requires a long time to evolve, it's not something that could happen in a new host in a matter of months.

MikeSands wrote:
Baron Of Hell wrote:

I was musing over this virus and wondering if it can cause reckless behavior in order to spread itself. There exist a fungus or disease that takes over the ant's mind.

Note that fungus are closer to animals than plants, whereas a virus is not really even alive. I won't say its impossible, but there's just not enough in this coronavirus for it to be so smart.

Plus that sort of behaviour requires a long time to evolve, it's not something that could happen in a new host in a matter of months.

That makes sense. I know a orange or yellow fungus was discovered a few months ago that seems to be able to learn.

I work at a Costco in PA. Trump was in the area yesterday giving a speech/rally, and there was a noticeable jump in the number of shoppers belligerently refusing to wear masks in the store—there hadn’t been any up until this point that I’m aware of, but there were at least two groups of 2-3 yesterday that I’m aware of. All had Trump gear, and all claimed some sort of medical exception, which is obvious bs to me but the managers didn’t seem to want to push.

By and large I’ve been pretty happy with how the company has been handling the virus and taking precautions to protect employees and members thus far, but I was a little disappointed with how this was handled. To give management the benefit of the doubt I suppose they may have wanted to contact corporate first for guidance, but I hope we don’t end up treating “I have a medical condition” as a get out of jail free card kind of thing. I expect we will have more people like this as time passes, and I really don’t want to have to deal with them.

Snowflakes.

A new banner has been put up at work:

“HEROES WORK HERE.”

So thumbs up all around!

No wait... the thumb isn’t the one in middle of the hand...

Wednesday I had a massive headache that did not respond to medication. Also total exhaustion that seemed slightly above normal for me. Considered leaving work early but stuck it out.

Thursday was a holiday, and the headache and exhaustion continued. I thought it was my "weekend hangover" (which is what I call the destressing that happens the first day of many weekends where I'm just useless for a day) and/or just being highly annoyed by stir-crazy family. Headache meds, yoga, lying down, 2 beers, valerian extract pills...nothing helped. Then night came.

As I was now starting to have slight limb pain, I went to sleep by 9:30 pm, all set for a LONG nights sleep and getting up for work early. Within an hour I was awake, went to the bathroom, and began shivering uncontrollably, which lasted until several minutes after I'd been back under the blankets. Limb pain worse. Fell asleep eventually, back up an hour later, sweating, extreme limb pain. Repeat this a few times, once with a slight fever. Heart arrhythmia much worse than I'm used to, blood pressure definitely above normal. After a sedative, finally slept a few hours.

Next morning all the symptoms and some major full-body pain, sore throat, etc. Not going to work, called the general practitioner who couldn't see me because of the symptoms - told me to call the local clinic. Nobody answered in the appropriate section and I fell asleep. I slept 18 or 19 hours Friday, only getting up to go to the bathroom, whimper a bit, and fall back asleep. And I threw up once.

MUCH better this morning, but still some lingering symptoms. Been wearing a mask at home, but it's likely way too late anyway depending on what I've got. Managed to get in touch with the appropriate phone service (hint: calling the hospital is wrong unless you need to stay there), talked with a doc and they agreed it's best to test on a precautionary basis.

So my wife and I just had our first coronavirus tests. I didn't think the nose swabs were that bad. I have a deviated septum, so they couldn't get the swab up one side. That hurt a bit. The throat swab wasn't as easy, as I have an easy gag reflex. My wife had the opposite experience - the nose swabs were very unpleasant for her.

She was actually symptom free until midday today. She had a tutoring session lined up Thursday that was cancelled because the student "had a fever for a few days" - so that's a potential vector. Early afternoon she began coughing, and now has an elevated temperature and muscle pains. I'm starting to develop a need to cough, but can almost always resist.

Now we have to quarantine until the results come in in 2-5 days.

We don't THINK we have it because the most important symptoms don't really line up (and it's really similar to something that laid me up for almost a week in February), but we needed some certainty.

The big issue is that we live together with a 10 month old, a hyperactive, stir-crazy 3.5 year old, and my 80 year old mom with moderate, going on severe dementia (who I can tell to go into her room 100x a day and she still comes out again 90 seconds later). Distancing in the home is not really an option anymore as we both seem to have....something....so we'd better hope it's not Coronavirus.

No matter what it is, I'm just stunned that we got something at all with all of the distancing, mask wearing, contact reduction, and hand washing. Anything we buy (almost only groceries), goes into the basement for 24 hours of decontamination, as long as it doesn't require refrigeration/freezing.

I have never been sick as often or as much in a year as I have been during the first 5 months of this one. Getting pretty annoyed about it.

Stay healthy everyone.

EDIT: fixed 2 typos.

Fever, chills, muscle pain, sore throat, headaches are all Coronavirus symptoms. How's your sense of smell doing?

Smell and taste are fine so far. Cough is beginning to increase. I had small amounts of blood come out of one nostril every time I blew my nose for several hours.

I know the undocumented cases are a multiple of the documented ones, but the city of Ansbach (42.000 ppl) has had 0 new confirmed cases in the past 7 days (three days ago this number was still 1). The county (184.000 ppl, not counting the city) had 6 new cases.

I'm assuming a 90% or more chance that we've caught something else....but can't rule out coronavirus either.

Also, one of the more "fun" symptoms I briefly had (spoilered for private parts)

Spoiler:

Early on in the night when things went downhill fast, I had a swollen lymph node next to my right ear that was swollen to about pea size - I never knew (besides abstractly) I had a lymph node there since I'd never felt one, and the area around the ear was sore, including my jaw and teeth on the left hurting a bit. During my trip to the bathroom I inadvertently brushed the left testicle....cue MAJOR stabbing pains that stayed at the level of dull pain for another 2-3 hours.

I hope you feel better soon...

Hope you’re on the mend soon!

Hope you feel better soon!

I spent a good part of last fall knocked down with a really nasty influenza case, while this year I've been fine. I suspect one benefit of the stay-at-home order here is that it's also reducing my exposure to more ordinary diseases. Maybe we should keep this up for a while.

Though, judging by what I saw when I drove by the beach on Saturday, not everyone agrees with me. I assume that most of them are out-of-towners, but while a lot of people were wearing masks there were also a lot of people who weren't...

cheeze_pavilion wrote:
Stealthpizza wrote:

Is it too late to change my religion to some virus cult with a cool name?

Coven-19

Branch Covidians

AUs_TBirD wrote:

I'm assuming a 90% or more chance that we've caught something else....but can't rule out coronavirus either.

Also, one of the more "fun" symptoms I briefly had (spoilered for private parts)

Spoiler:

Early on in the night when things went downhill fast, I had a swollen lymph node next to my right ear that was swollen to about pea size - I never knew (besides abstractly) I had a lymph node there since I'd never felt one, and the area around the ear was sore, including my jaw and teeth on the left hurting a bit. During my trip to the bathroom I inadvertently brushed the left testicle....cue MAJOR stabbing pains that stayed at the level of dull pain for another 2-3 hours.

I'm not a doctor so take this with a massive grain of salt, but your spoilered symptoms sound a lot like the mumps to me

If the test comes back negative it could be food poisoning. Other viruses transmit differently so it could also be the flu even with our distancing policies.

For the past few weeks my wife and I have been doing date night at home. It’s actually quite nice. We take dinner out to the patio and have a margarita.

posted without comment.

muttonchop wrote:

I'm not a doctor so take this with a massive grain of salt, but your spoilered symptoms sound a lot like the mumps to me

I never considered that, but I can't completely rule it out. Seems unlikely though. Pretty sure I got vaccinated for it (records long lost, but it was a required one when I was that age), and the recorded cases in Germany for all of 2019 were 590. If the corona test comes back negative as expected, I should probably make another attempt at finding my ancient health records in the boxes of paperwork nobody has looked at in a decade or more.

Stealthpizza: great video