[News] Coronavirus

A place to discuss the now-global coronavirus outbreak.

LeapingGnome wrote:

Yeah let’s not spread garbage like that.

Wasn't the video talking about how the study was flawed?

Furthermore, N-95s and the like do actually increase your protection. That's why my family still wears them anytime we go into shared indoor spaces.

Zero cases of Covid in our family and that includes our fifth grader, who chooses to still mask and has dodged two different direct exposure clusters at school.

Stengah wrote:

It also failed to acknowledge that people weren't wearing masks 100% of the time, so if you wore a mask at work, but didn't wear one at home or out in stores, you could still get covid while outside of work and that would count that against the mask mandate, despite the fact that you caught it while not wearing a mask. They also didn't touch on people deliberately ignoring mask mandates or how many people were wearing them incorrectly and inconsistently.

It sounds like the study in question was not impartial and so shouldn't be taken seriously anyway, but I don't see how these would be flaws in a more serious study on the matter. It's worth knowing how effective a public health measure is based on real-world implementation, not some imaginary situation where we can guarantee universal compliance and perfect implementation.

They're flaws because of the claim they're trying to use that information to support. Those a salient points if you're talking about problems with mask mandates, but they show that the problem was with people not using masks consistently or correctly, not a problem with the masks themselves. They correctly identify a problem (mask mandates didn't prevent the spread of covid within the area they covered), but draw a faulty conclusion as to what caused it (masks are ineffective at preventing the spread of covid).

kazar wrote:
LeapingGnome wrote:

Yeah let’s not spread garbage like that.

Wasn't the video talking about how the study was flawed?

Yes it was but I think your the only one who watched the video rather than just pile on how bad the study was.

*however it did generate discussion which is good! So don't think I am saying people shouldn't debate it.

farley3k wrote:
kazar wrote:
LeapingGnome wrote:

Yeah let’s not spread garbage like that.

Wasn't the video talking about how the study was flawed?

Yes it was but I think your the only one who watched the video rather than just pile on how bad the study was.

*however it did generate discussion which is good! So don't think I am saying people shouldn't debate it.

Nah, I watched it too, I've watched previous content from that presenter and it's generally good stuff.

So in Oregon, masks aren’t required except high risk areas of the hospital. It’s BS. So many times I have to tell people you need one on this side of the door. You can be no mask on that side of the door.

It is good thing viruses don't know how to use doors!

Well doors in a hospital like that can actually mean things, like a positive pressure difference, and good seals around the door. Personally, I think high risk areas of a hospital should always require masks, doesn't matter if Covid is around or not.

Florida surgeon general altered Covid-19 vaccine analysis to suggest higher risk for younger men, Politico reports

Florida Surgeon General Dr. Joseph Ladapo altered an analysis released by the Florida Department of Health last year to suggest mRNA Covid-19 vaccines pose a significant health risk to men ages 18 to 39, Politico reported Monday.

He should lose his medical license.

I hope he and the fl government gets the sh*t sued out of them for wrongful death. The purposefully provided incorrect information that got people killed.

The state should be sued into bankruptcy and Disney should be put in charge of running it.

Remember Rebekah Jones? ...Yeah. About her claims....

Not sure if this belongs here or in the Everything Else thread, but what are everyone’s thoughts on concerts or big gaming conventions like Gamescom or Pax West? Convention crud has always been a risk so at what point do you just accept COVID as just another risk of living your life?

That being said, maybe I’m in the minority since several friends have pulled out.

I have some sort of upper respiratory crud from my road trip to Georgia. The test came up negative, but it could still be the covids. Hoping it isn't.

jdzappa wrote:

Not sure if this belongs here or in the Everything Else thread, but what are everyone’s thoughts on concerts or big gaming conventions like Gamescom or Pax West? Convention crud has always been a risk so at what point do you just accept COVID as just another risk of living your life?

That being said, maybe I’m in the minority since several friends have pulled out.

With infections rising, going unmasked is a good way to get infected again.

mudbunny wrote:
jdzappa wrote:

Not sure if this belongs here or in the Everything Else thread, but what are everyone’s thoughts on concerts or big gaming conventions like Gamescom or Pax West? Convention crud has always been a risk so at what point do you just accept COVID as just another risk of living your life?

That being said, maybe I’m in the minority since several friends have pulled out.

With infections rising, going unmasked is a good way to get infected again.

I probably will mask fwiw.

I was on a transatlantic flight a couple of days ago. Barely any masks to be seen either way.

Vast majority of people have already accepted COVID as a risk of living their lives apparently.

Including my wife, who went to Vegas while I was gone and brought it back as a souvenir. At least she had the decency to be shot of it by the time I got home.

I wear a mask on every flight. Period, end of story.

I have to fly to Vegas tomorrow for work, and my masks are ready.

Just remember that N95 masks protect you, surgical and cloth ones at best protect others. If we could get everyone to wear surgical masks, then that would be sufficient but a plane full of unmasked passengers, the surgical mask is at best a nose warmer for you :(.

Cloth ones protect no one. Unless you can slip an N-95 insert into one, just get rid of them. Useless.

Well, near useless. Wearing nothing is useless. Cloth is at least something. If it is the only option I would rather someone be wearing a cloth one then not wearing any mask.

Robear wrote:

Cloth ones protect no one. Unless you can slip an N-95 insert into one, just get rid of them. Useless.

The numbers don't bear that out. But do what you will.

Every bit counts I guess. We haven't had much coronavirus news down under, seems to be other respiratory illnesses spreading. In that sense, any mask is helpful even if it's just to keep the aerosol spread from everyone's mouths to themselves as much as possible. But mask culture seems to have disappeared here.

Mr GT Chris wrote:
Robear wrote:

Cloth ones protect no one. Unless you can slip an N-95 insert into one, just get rid of them. Useless.

The numbers don't bear that out. But do what you will.

To my knowledge, there was a study done from a reputable group somewhat recently that concluded that mask *mandates* didn't help, but nothing conclusive saying the problem was with the cloth masks themselves. That study had some huge and obvious flaws too, and was headed by a guy with a well documented bias against government issued health directives. He claimed that masks were useless, but the data only showed that they didn't provide statistically significant protection for the user in real world situations, which A) wasn't the point of masks mandates in the first place (it was to keep the health care system from being overwhelmed by slowing the spread, which it did), and B) was far more readily explainable by people wearing them improperly or only occasionally wearing them rather than them being ineffective (wearing a mask while out shopping won't keep you from catching covid from someone in your household where you don't wear a mask). So cloth masks aren't useless, but their usefulness is less than ideal in real world situations.

Basically, their main function should be to prevent you from spreading something you don't yet know you have. Because once you know you have it, you shouldn't be going out in the first place.

The CDC does have guidelines for cloth masks and procedure masks. But recently, I've seen zero cloth masks actually in use that were fitted properly. I've seen no doubles, but some with filters shoved in. And I've seen many of them used to just cover the mouth, but even then, with significant side air gaps.

Functionally, the cloth masks I've been seeing for the last year at least have been useless. It takes both effort and design to get ones that fit properly, and people just don't seem to know or care. And I am seeing mostly N/KN95s, thankfully, that are usually better-fitted, but on fewer than 10% of the people I see in stores and malls.

Overall, our worries about COVID are pretty much gone. And this in one of the Bluest counties in the country. This is probably why cases are climbing. Because so many of us are idiots, and living in some kind of mirror country where if you can't see it, it's not a problem.

FDA signs off on updated Covid-19 vaccines for people 12 and older

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/11/healt...

mRNA wins Nobel Prize for medicine.

Conspiracy theorists , anti-vaxxers and RWNJs are losing their minds right now.