The Family Friendly Board & Card Game List catch-all

I was going to post this in the Big Board-Gaming catchall thread but that thing is massive and I feel like this can be a category of int's own. In looking through the last few hundreds of pages of the Big Board-Gaming catchall thread and from reviews I'm trying to compile a list of board and card games that would be good for a family of mixed ages. I played a many different types of board and card games when I was younger (Gammarauders, Pictionary, Clue, Monopoly, Axis and Allies all the way through Magic the Gathering Beta) and absolutely loved the time I spent playing those with my family.

Here's my list of games to consider. I've not played many of these games though, so feedback is appreciated.

Exploding Kittens
Shadows in the Forest
Forbidden Island
5 Minute Dungeon
Goat Lords
Labyrinth
Castle Panic
Dragonwood
Spy Alley
Scotland Yard
Outfoxed
Mice and Mystics
Smallworld
Catan Junior
Santorini
Azul
Here Kitty Kitty
Spontuneous - The Song Game
Not Parent Approved: A Card Game for Kids, Families and Mischief Makers
Carcassonne
Tsuro
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Codenames

Please contribute if there is a game you think should be added. I like lists and can keep updating this and categorize it if necessary. Don't make me make a spreadsheet (oh please do!).

Out of these selections, what would be a good top 2 or 3 must haves or starters? Thinking about getting my family started in the board/card games with Christmas gifts to my 3 girls. We have 5 in our family now with ages 3, 9, 11 and 2 adults. Looking for a mix of games that 2-5 of us can play. I prefer the fantasy and strategy genre but really any genre will do as long as it’s fun. 3-year-old may have to wait or watch some (help) but as long as we get to spend some quality time it's worth it.

Great idea!

I’d add Carcassonne and Tsuro to that list.

merphle wrote:

Great idea!

I’d add Carcassonne and Tsuro to that list.

Tsuro was one I saw and forgot to add. Checked out Carcassonne and it looks like a good one too.

Thanks and added!

My family has been having great fun with One Night Ultimate Werewolf. Easy to pick up and the app walks you through gameplay.

OldMud wrote:

My family has been having great fun with One Night Ultimate Werewolf. Easy to pick up and the app walks you through gameplay.

That one looks fun and it's quick! Thanks for the suggestion.

I have never failed with codenames. I would class my dad as amongst the most resistant to board games there is and he loves it. Played it with all ages too.

I'll say that Catan Junior is legit for onboarding the wee ones into crunchier games.

bbk1980 wrote:

I have never failed with codenames. I would class my dad as amongst the most resistant to board games there is and he loves it. Played it with all ages too.

Looks like another good one! Adding it to the list. Thank you.

Just digging this thread up to say I bought Animal upon Animal for my little ones and it’s brilliant. It’s a dexterity stacking game that works really well with my 5 year old and as a bonus my regular adult game group also enjoyed it when we gave it a spin. We play it most evenings at the moment.

bbk1980 wrote:

Just digging this thread up to say I bought Animal upon Animal for my little ones and it’s brilliant. It’s a dexterity stacking game that works really well with my 5 year old and as a bonus my regular adult game group also enjoyed it when we gave it a spin. We play it most evenings at the moment.

Haba are great for kids games. Pick of the bunch for us Rhino Hero and the bigger box sequel Rhino Hero Super Battle.