Playstation 5 Catch-All

Honestly, changing out the case did a good deal for me. I bought a 3rd party one (that I will have to google to actually remember what I bought).

My 2 year old PS5 gets hot too so I should either add a fan or look at this case from UpTolsomorphism

Did you follow online instructions on how to clean the fans? That helped a lot with my PS5's fan kicking in frequently.

I got these from dbrand for my PS5 a while ago. Just look for your specific PS5 version. I never hear my PS5's fans with these.

Dominic Knight wrote:

I got these from dbrand for my PS5 a while ago. Just look for your specific PS5 version. I never hear my PS5's fans with these.

I love dbrand marketing so much. It makes me want to buy stuff from them I can't even use.

I also have Dbrand - Sides, middle skin and the "light strip" (which is just colored tape). Great quality. Highly recommend.

Took forever for it to arrive but I finally got my Portal yesterday and it is way cooler than I could have anticipated. It feels so much better to hold than the Steam Deck or Switch and while I haven’t had the opportunity to take it anywhere else, at least within my house there is no noticeable lag whatsoever, even when playing action-heavy games.

ruhk wrote:

Took forever for it to arrive but I finally got my Portal yesterday and it is way cooler than I could have anticipated. It feels so much better to hold than the Steam Deck or Switch and while I haven’t had the opportunity to take it anywhere else, at least within my house there is no noticeable lag whatsoever, even when playing action-heavy games.

I've been playing Prince of Persia and do get some spikes occasionally, but when it's on it's like a local device.
If only it was easy to switch accounts this thing would be a 10.

State of Play Returns this Thursday

State of Play is back! Tune in live for updates on PS5 and PS VR2 titles, plus a look at PlayStation Studios games arriving later this year.

The 30+ minute show features 14 titles, and begins May 30 at 3pm PT / 6pm ET | May 31 12am CEST / 7am JST on YouTube, Twitch, and TikTok. See you then!

Not a lot of expectation setting ahead of time for this one. It is just 30 minute show with 14 titles, so we might get one or two deeper dives at most, but it's probably mostly a collection of trailers.

Based on some rumors that have been circulating, I'm crossing all of my fingers for the reveal of a new Astrobot game.

Thank fu…udge for that. I’m travelling home from Ireland but I should be back by then. Not sure why they leave it quite so late to announce these things.

Astro Bot!

Monster Hunter Wilds!

Those are enough for me to be really happy with this State of Play. I was not expecting a MH Wilds gameplay reveal and Astro Bot looks absolutely delightful.

There wasn’t anything there that excited me. Astro Bot is too jolly and upbeat for me. I fear that a I could get obsessed with Monster Hunter if I overcame my initial dislike of the way it plays so I’m not trying very hard to get into the series.

Overwatch left my completely cold when I tried playing it and in Apex Legends I always feel like I’m keeping myself entertained until a squad inevitably wipes us out in the blink of an eye, so I don’t have a lot of hope for Concord being my thing but I’ll give it a try.

The trailer for Where Winds Meet confused me greatly. I must watch it again but in theory I like the idea of a melee game set in a wire fu version of ancient China.

On the upside I had an unbelievably great time in Ireland, which included meeting that Spikeout bloke irl.

Edit: Having looked at an earlier trailer for Where Winds Meet I see that it’s an open world game so this latest trailer seems to be just a sampling of the boss fights. My interest is restored.

I saw the summary of this week's 'State of Play' on Kotaku. I'm afraid it left me a little cold. Most noticeably, for me:

- Concord and Marvel Rivals look like late arrivals to the Hero Shooter party, just as that party is finishing and the guests are leaving... apart from the guy passed out in the armchair.

- Where Winds Meet looks like someone has stripped the boss battles out of Ghosts of Tsushima.

It was nice to see two new games for the neglected PSVR2. However, Skydance's Behemoth looked sh*t, frankly. (Horizon: Call of the Mountain still seems to the be 1st person benchmark game for that system.) While, Alien Rogue Incursion looked much more interesting, but I'm not sure that I have the constitution to withstand the inevitable feints and jumpscares that I suspect will feature heavily in this game.

It was sad to see the trend for remakest continuing. Does Until Dawn really need (or indeed deserve) this treatment less than 10 years after release? It was a - er - massive game for Supermassive, but I'm not that there's a huge audience for another version of a game that's still available for less than £20 on Amazon.

So I guess it's going to be Infinity Nikki for me, or nothing from this year's presentation.

Your memory of Apex Legends chimes with mine, Higgledy. Spend 10 minutes 'mudlarking' to find weapons and gear, then get utterly destroyed by a much, more experienced and better-equipped squad.

Hero Shooters demand a level of practice, co-ordination and meta-tracking that I simply can't manage. I'd rather chase the cheap thrills of a good round or two of Call of Duty.

Higgledy wrote:

On the upside I had an unbelievably great time in Ireland, which included meeting that Spikeout bloke irl.

That's a bucket list item! Maybe someday...

I really, really like Until Dawn when I played it on PS4. I'm not sure it was a game crying out for a remaster.

Agent 86 wrote:

I really, really like Until Dawn when I played it on PS4. I'm not sure it was a game crying out for a remaster.

I'm sceptical about remasters in general, but I'm particularly baffled by the idea of remastering a game which - via backwards compatibility - can already be played on current generation consoles. So I kind of get Demons Souls (2020), a remake of a game from two generations ago... But I don't understand the business case for Until Dawn at all.

I find remasters/remakes from even earlier eras equally strange. These games often really feel their age, so I'm never clear who the real target audience is. Silent Hill 2 was a PS2 game. If you played it in 2001, then you're probably in your late 30s now.

If this is a nostalgia player, then that feels like a small market. If it's also meant to draw in new players, then hasn't that franchise been supplanted by The Evil Within, Resident Evil, Alan Wake/Control and the like? A complete reboot of the franchise makes more sense to me, than remaking the second game.

That's a weak showing from Sony to be honest. I feel they crushed MS last gen with their exclusive library but MS has caught up and is pushing past them now.

I'm looking forward to see what MS shows at their event next month. They have the opportunity to gain a ton of ground.

93_confirmed wrote:

I feel they crushed MS last gen with their exclusive library but MS has caught up and is pushing past them now.

Not backing a horse in this race, but how? I see no evidence of this.

Agent 86 wrote:

I really, really like Until Dawn when I played it on PS4. I'm not sure it was a game crying out for a remaster.

I suspect the business case for this is they're using it to work the kinks out of their Unreal 5 pipeline. Doing a port of Until Dawn (which, honestly, I think is their best game by a good stretch) allows them to charge people for learning what they need for new games forward.

I enjoyed the showcase, Astro looks great and will be a day 1 for me, Monster Hunter is the same. I really want Silent Hill 2 to be great, i have such fond memories of SH1 and 2 and am really hoping for a good quality remake.

Concord looked amazing right up until they said it was a 5v5 shooter; the clip had me hoping that it would be like a Guardians of the Galaxy affair. Ah well.

Astrobot is the only other thing in there that interests me, and from what I saw, it looks to be just as delightful as Playroom.

bbk1980 wrote:

I enjoyed the showcase, Astro looks great and will be a day 1 for me, Monster Hunter is the same. I really want Silent Hill 2 to be great, i have such fond memories of SH1 and 2 and am really hoping for a good quality remake.

Actually, if the Silent Hill 2 remake is very good, that’s a game I’d be excited to get into. I’ve never played a Silent Hill game. I did play Signalis which, I’ve heard, has a similar feel to the Silent Hill games. I don’t know how true that is.

Kurrelgyre wrote:
93_confirmed wrote:

I feel they crushed MS last gen with their exclusive library but MS has caught up and is pushing past them now.

Not backing a horse in this race, but how? I see no evidence of this.

Yeah, I wouldn’t draw too many conclusions from one possibly lukewarm State of Play. Most evidence points toward MS being in a very precarious place in the video game market. Most of the moves they are making seem to be motivated in part by how far behind they are. Not at all saying this with pleasure, I’m all for healthy competition.

Higgledy wrote:
bbk1980 wrote:

I enjoyed the showcase, Astro looks great and will be a day 1 for me, Monster Hunter is the same. I really want Silent Hill 2 to be great, i have such fond memories of SH1 and 2 and am really hoping for a good quality remake.

Actually, if the Silent Hill 2 remake is very good, that’s a game I’d be excited to play. I’ve never played a Silent Hill game. I have played Signalis which apparently has a similar feel to the Silent Hill games. I don’t know how true that is.

Silent Hill 2 really was one of the peaks of that era of horror games and I played a lot of low res 3D horror if they do it justice you are in for a treat.

Dave the Diver and now Dredge on PS+ Extra! That subscription was tailor made for me these days. I have never regretted subscribing since it started and it has been the cheaper way to play lots of games I've wanted to play rather than buying piecemeal.

I’ve had tons of value out of it and it’s a good way to sample games and either find something you adore or walk away after a few hours knowing it’s not for you. Dredge is a good example of a game where I’m really not sure if I’ll be into it or not.

steinkrug wrote:

Most evidence points toward MS being in a very precarious place in the video game market.

Not to pile on, but presumably you don't shut down Arkane Austin, Tango Gameworks (& whoever else?) if everything's going great for you.

Stele wrote:
Higgledy wrote:

On the upside I had an unbelievably great time in Ireland, which included meeting that Spikeout bloke irl.

That's a bucket list item! Maybe someday...

If you're ever over in Belfast let me know!

It was great to finally meet Higgledy, had a lovely meal together & wondered around Belfast for a short while before I dropped him off at the airport.

The State Of Play wasn't too bad but Astro Bot I'm friggin stoked about. Hopefully GOTY material!

Spikeout wrote:
Stele wrote:
Higgledy wrote:

On the upside I had an unbelievably great time in Ireland, which included meeting that Spikeout bloke irl.

That's a bucket list item! Maybe someday...

If you're ever over in Belfast let me know!

It was great to finally meet Higgledy, had a lovely meal together & wondered around Belfast for a short while before I dropped him off at the airport.

The State Of Play wasn't too bad but Astro Bot I'm friggin stoked about. Hopefully GOTY material!

I have such complete faith in Astrobot I will be buying day one no matter what the reviews an honour held only by Fromsoft in the bbk house in recent years.