The GWJ JRPG Club - Q4 2019 - Dragon's Crown!

For runes, in most cases there are two rune markings in the background to touch. Then you just need to add one of your four runes to cast the spell. So, rather than spending a minute or so fumbling with my phone looking up combinations, I can just try the four different possibilities in a few seconds until something works. The order doesn’t matter.

Having said that, I’ve stopped bothering.

OK, I finished up my elf play through. The ending wasn't particularly mind blowing but it unlocks the level cap and suggests that you replay the levels to beat two more dragons. I dabbled a bit with a wizard but not sure I'll play much longer.

Mr GT Chris wrote:

For runes, in most cases there are two rune markings in the background to touch. Then you just need to add one of your four runes to cast the spell. So, rather than spending a minute or so fumbling with my phone looking up combinations, I can just try the four different possibilities in a few seconds until something works. The order doesn’t matter.

Having said that, I’ve stopped bothering.

Runes are the weakest aspect of the game outside of the chaos that's on screen sometimes. They worked rather well on Vita because of the touchscreen (*beg* Switch port please *beg*) but are totally useless to me outside of that release.

garion333 wrote:
Mr GT Chris wrote:

For runes, in most cases there are two rune markings in the background to touch. Then you just need to add one of your four runes to cast the spell. So, rather than spending a minute or so fumbling with my phone looking up combinations, I can just try the four different possibilities in a few seconds until something works. The order doesn’t matter.

Having said that, I’ve stopped bothering.

Runes are the weakest aspect of the game outside of the chaos that's on screen sometimes. They worked rather well on Vita because of the touchscreen (*beg* Switch port please *beg*) but are totally useless to me outside of that release.

Yeah, there are definitely some stuff playing on ps4 that you can tell are vestiges of the Vita mechanics (runes, finding extra loot in the background, only one set of shoulder buttons). They are ported over as gracefully as possible I think, but would be better without them. But I have never found touch mechanics all that appealing anyway.

bobbywatson wrote:

I know LastSurprise brought up the multiplayer at some point. I haven’t unlocked it yet myself. Should we set a date and time?

What's the best way to set this up? I am interested to see what the game is like with other humans that are not random drop-ins.

Unfortunately, I have no idea. I've only ever played single-player games on my PS4.

Got the credits roll and hard difficulty unlocked today. So I guess as far as club completion goes, I am done with this game. I will probably try out a few more characters and even dip into hard mode though.

As for getting some multiplayer going, if I am not in game already, I would be up for planning a time to get some of us together. My schedule is fairly flexible, except Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday and am on pacific time.

Congrats Malkroth, I finished it today too.

The last boss felt a little more challenging that the others, which was night because I had found it a bit too easy overall.

Just under 2 weeks left to finish my thesis...Then I'll have time to join the finished-Dragon's-Crown-Club. Looking forward to it

Congrats, Malkroth and Cronox! Level ups incoming.

I think I'll be getting back on this next week, after I finish up with Dragon Quest XI and some travel. Last I played, I had just defeated the vampire.

I played up until online became available as a sorceress to see how different the game was. Definitely more strategic thinking and resource management when playing the sorceress than the Amazon. Some things were easier and some harder. Also much easier to dodge things on sorceress as you don't get caught up in trying to get 4 hit combos in.

I'm getting towards the end of Trails of Cold Steel 3 so I expect to start this in the next week or so.

I hopped back into this over the weekend, and cleared out the fight against the Warlock. And yeah, rune magic kind of sucks. I can see it working much better on a Vita, but it's not a great mechanic on the PS4.

*played ~40 hours on Vita*

LastSurprise wrote:

And yeah, rune magic kind of sucks. I can see it working much better on a Vita...

*dawning-realization.gif*

Huh; I guess that would have been a lot better. TBH, the thought never crossed my mind, probably because I hate touching screens.

And now we are making good progress!

I've finished the last of the story stages, am on to doing the "B side" routes to collect the talismans, and have 4 of the 9 that I'll need to take on the final boss. I have to say, I'm enjoying the game more in the back half. It was nice to chain a few stages together and see some massive experience gains, and be able to use even more powerful gear. I've also started bringing a full crew of AI allies on my missions, and I love how quickly they can clear rooms, although sometimes I can't follow what's happening on screen.

Since I've cleared the game once before I'm doing a new game+ on hard mode, currently have 2 of the 9 talismans and at the moment have to grind up about 10 more levels to be able to get the others.

And done! I cleared out the rest of the talismans, and the final battle, tonight. Overall, a pretty satisfying finish, and I'm glad I played it, though I'll be excited to get back to our regularly scheduled programming in January.

Played some more this morning. One thing I'm super impressed with: no technical issue on Vita! For a while, it seemed that all reviews for Vita games were complaining about two things: long load times and slow framerate. Yet, this game, despite having huge sprites, detailed backgrounds, and lots of crap going on at the same time, has neither of those.

I'm about to enter the Lost Woods for the first time. I would like to clear a few quests before I do that though. Despite having played four hours of it, I'm not sure I like the game overall. I think it's too confusing. It feels like I'm never sure where my character is. It's fine in short bursts, but probably not for long play sessions.

Not a fan of the sexy poses for characters you meet during quests.

No kidding. That crotch shot with the warrior priestess is especially terrible.

Rolled the credits just now, was nice getting back to this game after playing it at launch. Don't know if I need to post in the main thread or if this will be enough.

This is fine; I've got you.

Not sure what happened: I failed miserably at the final boss at least five times today, and then on my last try I managed to beat it without losing a single life.

Oh well. Game's done! Yay!

Not sure I liked it though. I thought it was just way too confusing: lots of things happen on the screen at all times, can't figure out where my character is, movement is sluggish, questionable character (and NPC) design choices... Great music and fantastic art style though.

Congratulations!