Plants Vs. Zombies: Battle For Neighborville

Looks like Founders edition launches today!

RPS writeup

Yeah, looking forward to checking this out tonight, $30 is a solid deal.

I'm SO stoked, though I'd rather it was full F2P instead of $30...and then with micro transactions.

So all I can say after playing about two hours splitscreen with my son, is my first impressions are very positive. Keep in mind we both love this series, and this just seems like the natural next step. The PVE zone seems for sure larger and more interesting. The new characters and changes to old are going to take some time to get a handle on, but of course learning this stuff is fun. The new version of Frostbite running here, I dunno the details under the hood but IMO it looks significantly better than Garden Warfare 2, more detailed, a slightly toned-down color palette which I like. And, FINALLY, split screen in the PVP modes! A huge boon to our household. I think the only minor gripe we had is text is super small in split screen, and at first you really need to read the descriptions on new powers and stuff, we ended up just grabbing two chairs and sitting very close to the TV.

Anyway this is just early hours but I think this is gonna give us a lot of hours of fun, just like the previous Garden Warfare games.

I think the variety of play is huge.

AcidCat wrote:

FINALLY, split screen in the PVP modes!

How to sell a game in one sentence! Do you know if the second player can use their psn account when playing split screen?

ChihuahuaPugs wrote:
AcidCat wrote:

FINALLY, split screen in the PVP modes!

How to sell a game in one sentence! Do you know if the second player can use their psn account when playing split screen?

Well my son is using his sub account, so I don't see why another main psn account wouldn't work.

I just got this yesterday, and holy hell, so far it's astounding.

Veloxi wrote:

I just got this yesterday, and holy hell, so far it's astounding.

Yeah i love the whole fun/silly atmosphere of the game. The graphics, gameplay all top notch and FUN!

I've only done the ten mini tutorial quests and the first part of the quest to infiltrate a zombie night club, which involved escorting a lawnmower.

I love this game. I just hope the multiplayer modes are as good solo with bots as GW2 was. I've yet to test it.

So I just did a multi-level quest in town center to get a hat for a lawnmower. Holy crap so fun. So far my go to, like in the last game, is still the pea shooter.

So far there's only one multiplayer mode, and I can't seem to select to do it only with bots, so I'm hoping that's coming.

So the second multiplayer mode and the first Zombie PvE area are now out.

Me and my son continue to have a lot of fun with the game. I really like the expanded PvE areas. We do miss the character variants though. I know as you level up you get more and more options for how to customize your character's power, which is cool, but still doesn't seem to offer the same amount of variety as variants. Of course we don't have any characters maxed out yet, so we've yet to see the majority of the options in this system.

And, looking forward to a balance pass. That little mushroom is OP as hell, and Zombies feel a bit weaker overall.

I came here for this, I’m having so much fun! I think the PVE can be a bit on the hard side, but I’m guessing that they gear it for co-op to push you towards doing the stuff with other people (or maybe I’m just not very good, haha).

I’m trying to hide it from my 5 yo son who loves GW2, but I got it for him for his birthday in November. I really want to play it with him now!

Anyone play on PS4?

By the way, this is my first foray into GWJ forums. I’ve listened to the podcast for a while, but thought I’d dip my toe in.

NotBruceLee78 wrote:

I came here for this, I’m having so much fun! I think the PVE can be a bit on the hard side, but I’m guessing that they gear it for co-op to push you towards doing the stuff with other people (or maybe I’m just not very good, haha).

I’m trying to hide it from my 5 yo son who loves GW2, but I got it for him for his birthday in November. I really want to play it with him now!

Anyone play on PS4?

By the way, this is my first foray into GWJ forums. I’ve listened to the podcast for a while, but thought I’d dip my toe in.

Welcome! Your 5 year old will be so happy

whispa wrote:
NotBruceLee78 wrote:

I came here for this, I’m having so much fun! I think the PVE can be a bit on the hard side, but I’m guessing that they gear it for co-op to push you towards doing the stuff with other people (or maybe I’m just not very good, haha).

I’m trying to hide it from my 5 yo son who loves GW2, but I got it for him for his birthday in November. I really want to play it with him now!

Anyone play on PS4?

By the way, this is my first foray into GWJ forums. I’ve listened to the podcast for a while, but thought I’d dip my toe in.

Welcome! Your 5 year old will be so happy :D

Thanks for that!

I’m sure he will!

So I streamed a bunch of this this morning and it's just getting better and better.

I've a question though. Does anyone know if, like GW2, we'll be able to play the multiplayer modes solely with bots? I've yet to find anything on this. Thanks!

What exactly is the point of levels in these games? They net you nothing except as a treadmill for milestones (ie. at level 10, etc). It gets so tedious playing a new character class... Buying levels isn't very enjoyable either.

garion333 wrote:

What exactly is the point of levels in these games? They net you nothing except as a treadmill for milestones (ie. at level 10, etc). It gets so tedious playing a new character class... Buying levels isn't very enjoyable either.

Levels unlock perk points to upgrade your characters with. At level 10, you can choose to Promote (gain a rank and reset to level 1). Ranks give you rewards suchs as access to new character upgrades, coins, cosmetics, etc., as well as a badging system that shows other people what a grizzled ol' veteran of the game you are.

vypre wrote:
garion333 wrote:

What exactly is the point of levels in these games? They net you nothing except as a treadmill for milestones (ie. at level 10, etc). It gets so tedious playing a new character class... Buying levels isn't very enjoyable either.

Levels unlock perk points to upgrade your characters with. At level 10, you can choose to Promote (gain a rank and reset to level 1). Ranks give you rewards suchs as access to new character upgrades, coins, cosmetics, etc., as well as a badging system that shows other people what a grizzled ol' veteran of the game you are.

I don't think this is entirely correct. It's the ranks that give you more of the upgrades. That's kind of my point, it's a 10 level treadmill over and over again. You gain some gold on level upgrade, but that's all. That's the boring part.

Ah. I see what you're saying. Yeah, I think only the first 10 levels allow you to unlock perk points up to the 7-point max. After that, I can't think of anything levels actually give except progression milestones to the next rank.