Control by Remedy

GWJ Conference Call Episode 673

World of Warcraft Classic, Children of Morta, Control, GWJ Donation Drive 2019, Shawn: Fond Memories and Safe Travels, your emails and more!

Click here to download!

This week we have a full house with Shawn, Elysium, Amanda, Allen, Cory, and Michael as we share our own fond memories and wish safe travels to Shawn!

To contact us, email [email protected]! Send us your thoughts on the show, pressing issues you want to talk about or whatever else is on your mind.

  • Subscribe with iTunes
  • Subscribe with RSS
  • Subscribe with Yahoo!
Download the official apps
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android

Comments

redvioleta wrote:

I created an account here on GWJ today after listening to this podcast for many years, and after listening to this episode.

I felt similarly compelled to make an account, again having been a listener for a number of years (thank you Shawn and the rest of the Conference Call crew). It was amazing listening to all of the kind words for Shawn and I can only echo the sentiments of everyone else and wish him the best for his journey(s).

groovebeat wrote:

Keeping in line with the theme of this episode I'd love to engage more with the community on a real life basis - especially on the board game front - but I'm from Berlin Germany and I guess that chapter isn't particularly strong compared to state side. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

I am pretty sure there is a contingent of Europe Goodjers who play D&D (the pen and paper game) online once a week.

I have nothing good to add, so without further ado:

Spoiler:
staygold wrote:

I'm not crying, you're crying.

This, times three thousand.

This site, this community is the most positive place I've experienced on the internet, since when I started reading the site as a teenager over 15 years ago, to when I finally decided to join the site soon after I moved away from all the people I knew and loved for my first job, solitary and home sick. And even to this day as large portions of the web have reduced to toxicity and bad faith, GWJ has been my bastion, a place of consistent comfort, fun, and acceptance.

GWJ, the podcast and the forum, kept me sane through college and grad school. This is the place I came to read about console announcements, this weird new thing called "DLC", the self help topics that allowed me to recognize my depression and seek out the appropriate care, nearly two years straight of Battlefield game nights with the community, tips and advice on buying my first house, and all the various things and obsessions to geek out on, some of which have lasted well past their expiration date.

When life became busy and I had to leave gaming behind for long stretches of time, I had the podcast to keep my interests alive. I don't have much opportunity to keep up with the community as much as I used to these days, but I know when life slows down and I find the time to enjoy the hobby I love, GWJ will be there to get me back on track.

Thanks to the "S[aehw]+n"s (I also learned about regex here!) for shepherding this site over the years, good luck to Certis on his most excellent quest, and cheers to Amoebic for taking the baton to lead us into an illustrious future! You're going to do a great job!!

DWilhelmsson wrote:
redvioleta wrote:

I created an account here on GWJ today after listening to this podcast for many years, and after listening to this episode.

I felt similarly compelled to make an account, again having been a listener for a number of years (thank you Shawn and the rest of the Conference Call crew). It was amazing listening to all of the kind words for Shawn and I can only echo the sentiments of everyone else and wish him the best for his journey(s).

Following what is likely many others, my first post here on GWJ forums is to say a big thank you to Shawn, and best of luck in your upcoming adventures.
I've been listening to the Conference Call for years and always enjoy the camaraderie that always comes across in the discussions. After all the emotional discussions in this episode I feel I need to say a big thanks to Shawn for nurturing such a close family, and I can't wait to see what's next with Amoebic at the helm!

Have a safe, introspective and incredible journey, Shawn! I do hope you find what it is you may be searching for in yourself while you are on sabbatical.

You will be missed and I look forward to hearing some words of wisdom on your return!

IMAGE(https://www.touropia.com/gfx/d/amazing-buddhist-monasteries/taktsang_dzong.jpg?v=3a19fcd5997310422a2cfd893e0c6f88)

Also when some crazy dictator pulls you off a bus and asks you to go shoot some guns. I would listen.

The Dome meetup was only for Overwatch peeps? I never heard about it, it would have be nice to meet some of you guys in my own back yard! Maybe next time.

It would be nice if some of the social stuff that has been going on twitter and instagram got posted in our own forums or news page too. It just seems weird since the whole purpose of this site is a social platform for the community but we are putting stuff exclusively on other third party social platforms instead. Why bifurcate the community that way?

LeapingGnome wrote:

The Dome meetup was only for Overwatch peeps? I never heard about it, it would have be nice to meet some of you guys in my own back yard! Maybe next time.

It would be nice if some of the social stuff that has been going on twitter and instagram got posted in our own forums or news page too. It just seems weird since the whole purpose of this site is a social platform for the community but we are putting stuff exclusively on other third party social platforms instead. Why bifurcate the community that way?

That's a fair assumption, and I apologize if it came across that way. It's a bit confusing, but I'll try: The dome thing wasn't "only for overwatch peeps." It wasn't an intentional exclusion or diversion.

Originally there were some d&d groups that was formed by some of the overwatch players, of which I am a part. Dome was a small gathering where the D&D groups were finally getting together to play in person for the first time after playing together every week for a year, so originally wasn't intended to be part of GWJ officially in any way. Dome was scheduled several months in advance (well before Shawn and I had our initial conversation about the handoff), which also means before the planning of Shawn's final episode. His last day to record happened to fall during that weekend, so a small private event kind of got pushed into the official sphere by the location of my recording. I'll own that the lines kind of blurred there between what is me and what is GWJ during that time, and that can make the situation seem confusing or unfair.

One method of engaging in social media is to be personable, be at times a reflection of a person. For Gamers With Jobs, especially forms of it in newer social media, that person is often me. It may reflect events, opinions, and situations that are me and mine specifically that I wish to share with the world because I want to include them. I realize now that can have the opposite effect.

As Dome was someone's multi-generational family home on remotely located private property, opening up the space and turning it into a publicly GWJ official event wasn't appropriate in this context at this time. Space was most definitely an issue. It's my hope though that we can encourage more people to coordinate and form their groups and bonds to come together in similar ways, too. I hope that clarifies a few things!

With regards to stuff being posted to other third party platforms instead of here; It's my intent that official and public GWJ events will continue to be posted here as well as across other social media platforms. I'd love someday to have more cross integration and information shared among them unilaterally, but I feel that warrants it's own thread. It's certainly on my mind a lot lately, so I'd like to give that some time to percolate, as well as some grounding conversations with doogiemac before proposing any new ideas for sure. Keep an eye out for that!

Thanks for this response! I understand the frustration and appreciate your pointing this out.

groovebeat wrote:
garion333 wrote:
groovebeat wrote:

Keeping in line with the theme of this episode I'd love to engage more with the community on a real life basis - especially on the board game front - but I'm from Berlin Germany and I guess that chapter isn't particularly strong compared to state side. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

D&D and other RPG groups do a lot of their work online. Time differences may make things tricky for connecting with North America but there are European folks out there too.

Good call. I might have to look into this. Was thinking about something more direct and personal but that also sounds like a good option.

I’ve sent you a pm groovebeat.

Thanks for clarifying Amanda, and no worries I definitely wouldn't want to crash someone's D&D group get together. On the podcast it sounded more like a general meet up and I thought it was weird nothing was posted. I appreciate your reply.

mr_n00b wrote:
staygold wrote:

I'm not crying, you're crying.

This, times three thousand.

This site, this community is the most positive place I've experienced on the internet, since when I started reading the site as a teenager over 15 years ago, to when I finally decided to join the site soon after I moved away from all the people I knew and loved for my first job, solitary and home sick. And even to this day as large portions of the web have reduced to toxicity and bad faith, GWJ has been my bastion, a place of consistent comfort, fun, and acceptance.

This.

My home on the internet, for what, 11 years now?

Thanks for everything, Shawn.

Higgledy wrote:
groovebeat wrote:
garion333 wrote:
groovebeat wrote:

Keeping in line with the theme of this episode I'd love to engage more with the community on a real life basis - especially on the board game front - but I'm from Berlin Germany and I guess that chapter isn't particularly strong compared to state side. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

D&D and other RPG groups do a lot of their work online. Time differences may make things tricky for connecting with North America but there are European folks out there too.

Good call. I might have to look into this. Was thinking about something more direct and personal but that also sounds like a good option.

I’ve sent you a pm groovebeat.

Hot dang! I'll get in touch!

Fantastic episode! I've listened for years but only got around to signing up for the forums this year. Just wanted to thank Shawn for always putting in the work on the annual prediction shows. They are easily a podcast highlight of my year every year. I'm just sad that once Shawn achieves enlightenment at the monastery he won't be able to participate in any future prediction shows. It's no fun if you know everything!

I have not listened to the CC for quite awhile sadly, but as someone who remembers the GWJ Radio, Russ, and eagle semen, your voice is still engrained my head from the many days of college listening to you rabble on about games.

I'm 32 now.

Safe travels, Andrich.

I have two very cherished memories of Shawn.

The first time we met, I was on a road trip with some friends from Duluth, MN to Winnipeg. He and Rob picked me up from my hotel.

So, from my perspective, here is two dudes in a Volkswagon that very slowly come to a stop. And they just waited for like a minute or two. I am now thinking something like, "sh*t, these guys are just going to leave. I mean, I would to."

The window rolls down and Shawn says, "... Reaper?" I was so relieved to hear my internet name.

Shawn would later tell me that him and Rob had a convo to effect of, "well, he doesn't look like a serial killer."

We played some video games at Shawn's and went to like a Canadian Best Buy or Circuit City before they dropped me off. I picked up a GBA game for the drive back and a switch or something.

My second would be a few years later in Iraq around 2006. I was in a really dark place. Much of my early 20s was rage and fear occasionally drowned in alcohol. I didn't have alcohol in Iraq but I did have the rage.

I was at a little internet cafe we had on base and I just happened to catch Shawn online on like MSN or something. I can't remember what I said and I can't remember his reply.

What I do remember is how rageful I felt. And then Shawn said something very insightful and validating. But more importantly, it turned me away from the moment and those emotions.

I do remember what I said next. I told Shawn that I saw his future and that one day he would become a full monk and guru. He seemed flattered and tried to redirect.

Everytime he posts about his sabbaticals or overseas work, I just nod a little.

Anyway, if anybody happens to see Shawn before he leaves, do me a favor and tell him that "Steve says he hates you."

He'll know what it means.

Reaper wrote:

Anyway, if anybody happens to see Shawn before he leaves, do me a favor and tell him that "Steve says he hates you."

I’ll miss you, buddy.

Thanks everyone. So many PMs and Tweets and emails. It’s been really lovely and heartening as I get things together to leave for the mountains on Friday.

So much of what’s been expressed has been gratitude for the community and for having a positive space to be on the Internet. That’s something everyone has made together. It’s a shared responsibility, so the gratitude is reflected to all of you as well. Thank you.

This was the episode that finally got me to take the plunge and join GWJ. I've always found online communities to be a little overwhelming so, even though I've been listening to the podcast and lurking online since around 2007 (yeesh!), I've never actually tried to join in on the fun.

Not sure I'll be much of a presence but, hey, at least I took that first step! I just couldn't listen to all of these wonderful people share their equally wonderful stories and not want to at least dip my toe in and see where that leads me.

GWJ has held a special place in my heart for so, so long. I don't post as often as I used to, but I'm deeply grateful every time I catch an episode, read a new article, or hear from the anyone on the podcast...all of whom have the warm familiarity of friends by now.

Safe travels, Shawn, and good luck.

Make sure you grow a beard worthy of Grizzly Adams.. I think he was also Canadian.

My first post here - I've only been listening since I googled "good gaming podcasts" back in December 2018 and GWJ came up, but even in this short amount of time GWJ has become my favorite podcast. This episode was a great one as always and inspired me to start trying to become a member of this community in a more active way.

Good luck Shawn and good luck helming the podcast Amanda!