Stadia-specific catch all

Top_Shelf wrote:

In Stadia news, does Ubisoft+ work with Stadia? Thinking about trying out Valhalla for a month and then cancelling.

Yes and it is great. I played both Valhalla and Immortals with it.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/ychhYmt.png)
I kept reading these two posts over and over again because my brain kept interpreting "Calendar" as "Canada".
And I couldn't understand why A. we needed to replace Canada, and B. how outlook could replace Canada.

Hobbes2099 wrote:

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/ychhYmt.png)
I kept reading these two posts over and over again because my brain kept interpreting "Calendar" as "Canada".
And I couldn't understand why A. we needed to replace Canada, and B. how outlook could replace Canada.

Hahaha.

There has to be a term for this, where one reads something (online? elsewhere?) and transposes the meaning to something so incomprehensible it is hilarious.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/WkwgJgr.jpg)

Stadia is now the target of a class-action lawsuit over performance promises ("true 4K") that it hasn't lived up to.

People do love to sue.

This goes in the "obvious" category, but a Bloomberg report claims Stadia missed Google's user count expectations by... a lot:

Stadia missed its targets for sales of controllers and monthly active users by hundreds of thousands, according to two people familiar with the matter, who asked not to be identified discussing private information.

Daaaamn.

Utter marketing communication failure. They never really articulated the positives. They continually pushed the subscription despite its widespread unpopularity. And the subscription benefits became more inconsistent as the first year progressed. By the time I finally gave up on Stadia, it had two freebies and one was targeted at kids.

Someday there will be a streaming platform that does it right.

All they had to do is call it a beta instead of a full launch!

And then completely change their business model.

And have their own games ready to go.

And.... Maybe it wasn't so easy. Oh, you, Google.

Meaningless if we don't know what the target number is.

gamerparent wrote:

Meaningless if we don't know what the target number is.

I saw an article that said the miss was by hundreds of thousands, so that kind of narrows the order of magnitude of the target.

500k miss on a 10mm goal (5%) is different than a 500k miss on a 2mm goal (25%).

Numbers be relative. Especially management numbers.

I don't think this news is a surprise. The technology is fantastic, but the product built around it offered poor value for money... and everyone in the market for a game streaming service could see that.

£90 for the hardware. And then full price for games that never enter your possession, which effectively makes them staggeringly expensive rentals. Plus the option of a subscription that gives access to a very shallow pool of content (from what I can see on the website, there appear to be around 30 free games available this month).

i'm sad, because I was hugely excited when Stadia was announced.

detroit20 wrote:

And then full price for games that never enter your possession, which effectively makes them staggeringly expensive rentals.

All the streaming/web services are that though. If Luna or any of the others shut down it isn't like you can play it somewhere else.
Even something like Steam has a bit of that. While you can download games to your HD if that were to die and Steam servers were shut down you couldn't get the games again.

i'm sad, because I was hugely excited when Stadia was announced.

Me too, me too. I wanted so much to have it because I refuse to get back on the PC hardware upgrade train but it never panned out.

I'm still getting Stadia ads on YouTube.

Oh, Alphabet.

They are still paying a lot for ads. I have a few F2P games that run ads before each session and they show Stadia all the time.

farley3k wrote:
detroit20 wrote:

And then full price for games that never enter your possession, which effectively makes them staggeringly expensive rentals.

All the streaming/web services are that though. If Luna or any of the others shut down it isn't like you can play it somewhere else.
Even something like Steam has a bit of that. While you can download games to your HD if that were to die and Steam servers were shut down you couldn't get the games again.

Yes, that's true to an extent. However, both Netflix and Amazon do allow you to download content to another device. I think Netflix downloads are temporary; they lock themselves after 5 days or something. But I believe Amazon's are permanent, but can only be downloaded to a Kindle. (Having said that, I believe that Amazon have the technology to delete things from Kindle at will.)

In any case, for me its the sheer cost of the rentals. The only (bad) analogy I can think of is if Spotify charged users full price for new music.

detroit20 wrote:
farley3k wrote:
detroit20 wrote:

And then full price for games that never enter your possession, which effectively makes them staggeringly expensive rentals.

All the streaming/web services are that though. If Luna or any of the others shut down it isn't like you can play it somewhere else.
Even something like Steam has a bit of that. While you can download games to your HD if that were to die and Steam servers were shut down you couldn't get the games again.

Yes, that's true to an extent. However, both Netflix and Amazon do allow you to download content to another device. I think Netflix downloads are temporary; they lock themselves after 5 days or something. But I believe Amazon's are permanent, but can only be downloaded to a Kindle. (Having said that, I believe that Amazon have the technology to delete things from Kindle at will.)

In any case, for me its the sheer cost of the rentals. The only (bad) analogy I can think of is if Spotify charged users full price for new music.

I wonder what Stadia tells us, though, about Google/Alphabet. Has any Alphabet initiative not related to search, and the monetisation of search, ever been successful. I suppose you can cite Android and G-mail, but I'm hard pushed to think of much else.

They are one-trick pony. Though it is an incredibly popular and profitable trick...

detroit20 wrote:
detroit20 wrote:
farley3k wrote:
detroit20 wrote:

And then full price for games that never enter your possession, which effectively makes them staggeringly expensive rentals.

All the streaming/web services are that though. If Luna or any of the others shut down it isn't like you can play it somewhere else.
Even something like Steam has a bit of that. While you can download games to your HD if that were to die and Steam servers were shut down you couldn't get the games again.

Yes, that's true to an extent. However, both Netflix and Amazon do allow you to download content to another device. I think Netflix downloads are temporary; they lock themselves after 5 days or something. But I believe Amazon's are permanent, but can only be downloaded to a Kindle. (Having said that, I believe that Amazon have the technology to delete things from Kindle at will.)

In any case, for me its the sheer cost of the rentals. The only (bad) analogy I can think of is if Spotify charged users full price for new music.

I wonder what Stadia tells us, though, about Google/Alphabet. Has any Alphabet initiative not related to search, and the monetisation of search, ever been successful. I suppose you can cite Android and G-mail, but I'm hard pushed to think of much else.

They are one-trick pony. Though it is an incredibly popular and profitable trick...

Youtube
Google Maps

Those are the first two that jump out at me that get used ALL the time.

#WellTechnically, both YouTube and Google Maps (nee, Where 2 Technologies) were acquisitions. But your point stands.

Top_Shelf wrote:

I'm still getting Stadia ads on YouTube.

Oh, Alphabet.

Stadia isn't closed... or dead despite what youtubers think. They just stopped internal games development. Wanted to save money for 3rd party stuff from what I have seen speculation wise. Might have been the Microsoft purchase of Bethesda that caused them to commit in that direction.

Why start from scratch when Amazon already failed miserably? Just pay someone else to do it. I was hoping for some fun stuff utilizing the different technologies they have... but hey the service isn't dead.... just more service than vertically integrated corp. I am still holding out the they and PS team up. It's the only way to compete with MS at this point.

Amazon seems to be trucking along... but I don't know something feels off there. Not sure if they will figure it out before the others.

MS streaming isn't on Google's level, but they have the games.

GeForce is going to die off at some point in time. They pissed everyone off at the wrong time.

PS is way behind... but Japanese businesses are slow to change from what I saw working for one... This is why I think they will wait a year or two and MS will have a firm hold on things then Stadia will offer them a way in.

In the meantime google will just keep updating features and adding in more and more AAA games.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

#WellTechnically, both YouTube and Google Maps (nee, Where 2 Technologies) were acquisitions. But your point stands.

Yeah, and YouTube more or less replaced Google Video. Sometimes it's easier to buy things than create them whole cloth.

I am curious if the rumor about Microsoft buying Bethesda put a stake in Stadia's game development heart. If true, it certainly applies to this discussion! Microsoft does what Stadia couldn't!

I hope GeForce Now keeps going!

It's my only way to get PC games since I don't have a PC (pretty sure xCloud won't let me buy a game on Steam and stream over xCloud and I have zero clue on a workaround - maybe I just buy in the Microsoft store and it will let me stream even if I never install on my non-existent PC?).

Currently xCloud only streams games available by subscription through Game Pass. You cannot buy games on the service, nor can you stream games you own, even if you own them on Xbox or through the Microsoft Store on PC.

Top_Shelf wrote:

I hope GeForce Now keeps going!

It's my only way to get PC games since I don't have a PC (pretty sure xCloud won't let me buy a game on Steam and stream over xCloud and I have zero clue on a workaround - maybe I just buy in the Microsoft store and it will let me stream even if I never install on my non-existent PC?).

I think GeForce Now is in an ok spot at this point. There was the big thing when they launched and a bunch of publishers got upset and blacklisted their games because people were playing GAMES THAT THEY HAD ALREADY PAID FOR over the GeForce Now service, but since then a bunch of them have quietly re-enabled their games for streaming over the platform.

detroit20 wrote:

I don't think this news is a surprise. The technology is fantastic, but the product built around it offered poor value for money... and everyone in the market for a game streaming service could see that.

Fantastic, maybe if we consider the complexity of the project and the possibilities of cloud gaming. If we consider however the fact that input lag is a real problem with cloud gaming (even 100ms lag is noticeable afaik) then it's comprehensible that Stadia and others don't meet their sale objectives. Plus all the issues you've brung up.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

Currently xCloud only streams games available by subscription through Game Pass. You cannot buy games on the service, nor can you stream games you own, even if you own them on Xbox or through the Microsoft Store on PC.

Yes. Good points.

So if I've got the breakdown right, GamePass has two types of games:
PC
Xbox

But only one mode of streaming:
Android

And only the Xbox games work for streaming. No Age of Empires or Crusader Kings (because of the UI?).

Though a quick, non-thorough search says that the following platforms will be supported in Spring 2021:
Windows 10
iOS
"Browser" support

So. GFN remains the sole streaming option for those wanting off the PC upgrade Jacob's Ladder.

And xCloud is no longer the name? It's now Xbox Cloud?

I mean, I am subbed to GFN and GamePass so it doesn't matter that much to me but this is some Twister level contortions needed to explain how it all works!

Top_Shelf wrote:

I hope GeForce Now keeps going!

GeForce Now is IMO the cloud service that's actually worth a damn.

I've considered subscribing when business travel starts up again, so I can cloud play some of my Steam games from my work Macbook Pro. Especially since my wife has more or less commandeered the Switch that I was taking with me on these trips before shutdown.