Children of Morta Catch-all

Budo wrote:

I LOVED this game and I'm so glad to hear there's follow up content planned. Is there any way to pick up the soundtrack? Right now Steam is just selling the game itself.

It's on Google Play Music, so I assume it's on other streaming platforms as well.

Anyone play this on the Switch? How does it run/play?

Just picked it up on Switch last night on sale. Couldn't put it down for 4 hours. Very promising start.

I don't know it compares to PC. There seems to be a little slowdown when loading up your home base, but that's outside of combat. I didn't notice any performance issues in combat.

I was playing in handheld mode and it's a little awkward to reach some of the buttons for special attacks. I'll try playing with a pro controller later but my wife was using the tv last night.

I’m holding off until the content pipeline is finished. Their roadmap details a lot of free additions (new enemies, new quest types, new items, and a new character) abs culminates with an expansion. I rarely replay games so I’d rather just wait until everything is available.

I just finished playing this on PC (through GamePass). I had no idea about the development roadmap... sort of makes me wish I had waited, though honestly I had a blast with the game and it was worthwhile to play even without the extra content.

I find myself just grinding old levels to level up the last few characters, so maybe it could do with some sort of random objective generator (roadmap step 3), or New Game+ mode (roadmap step 2), but I still want to play even without that content.

I don't know that I'll go back once everything is said and done, maybe I'll play again when the DLC is released.

I loved this game so much, can't wait for more content. While I'm waiting does anyone have any suggestions for something similar? I've been looking at Dungeon of the Endless (just hit the Switch) or Enter the Gungeon.

I loved it too but I can't think of anything that's very similar, but I like to give Moon Hunters a shout out every now and then. It's an under the radar beautiful game with a good story, music, and similar dungeon crawling gameplay, but doesnt have the family dynamic. The skill trees aren't as deep and you don't get swarmed by enemies as much. You can play co-op as well.

malking wrote:

I loved this game so much, can't wait for more content. While I'm waiting does anyone have any suggestions for something similar? I've been looking at Dungeon of the Endless (just hit the Switch) or Enter the Gungeon.

Dungeon of the Endless and Enter the Gungeon are both good games in their own right but I don't feel they are that similar to Children of Morta.

I played Children of Morta coop with my young son and I think our next game is gonna be Minecraft Dungeons when it comes out later this month. Again, not the same sort of game but both are very Diablo inspired.

There was NG+ DLC released in the last few days, with extra events and cutscenes and stuff thrown into the mix. Haven't gone back to try it out yet though.

Zwickle wrote:

I loved it too but I can't think of anything that's very similar, but I like to give Moon Hunters a shout out every now and then.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

pandasuit wrote:

Dungeon of the Endless and Enter the Gungeon are both good games in their own right but I don't feel they are that similar to Children of Morta.

I played Children of Morta coop with my young son and I think our next game is gonna be Minecraft Dungeons when it comes out later this month. Again, not the same sort of game but both are very Diablo inspired.

Enter the Gungeon is on Game Pass so I guess I'll check it out there.

My son and I are so excited for Minecraft Dungeons, it's one of my favourites mashed with one of his favourites. We've had regular conversations about it and he's counting down the days until next Tuesday. If it released earlier than 4pm here I might've even given him a sneaky day off school.

pyxistyx wrote:

There was NG+ DLC released in the last few days, with extra events and cutscenes and stuff thrown into the mix. Haven't gone back to try it out yet though.

I just saw that after I posted yesterday so started up again and ran through the first dungeon. NG+ isn't really my thing but I'll take what I can get at the moment. It might be enough motivation to make it my first 1000 GamerScore.

A little bit late on this but a new playable character was released last month. Keen to fire it up again and get to lvl 20 with her.

malking wrote:

A little bit late on this but a new playable character was released last month. Keen to fire it up again and get to lvl 20 with her.

Thanks for the reminder I need to jump back in and check out the new content and character.

This is $10 on the Switch right now. I am tempted. I have so many games though.

farley3k wrote:

This is $10 on the Switch right now. I am tempted. I have so many games though.

That's a fantastic price for this. I'll enable here. This is the type of game that stands well on its own and also plays well as a "second" game while you play something else, since the runs are concise and it is easy to nibble away at the content, put it down, do something else, and pick it back up again.

TheHarpoMarxist wrote:
farley3k wrote:

This is $10 on the Switch right now. I am tempted. I have so many games though.

That's a fantastic price for this. I'll enable here. This is the type of game that stands well on its own and also plays well as a "second" game while you play something else, since the runs are concise and it is easy to nibble away at the content, put it down, do something else, and pick it back up again.

It’s a great game. My son and I really enjoyed coop.

Also, it’s still on game pass.

I picked it up.

I have Game Pass so I probably should have got it there but I like the portability of the Switch and $10 seemed reasonable.

So this was in a "if you liked Hades" list. And it sounds like it scratches a similar story itch in the rogue like genre. Yes?

Probably putting on my Switch wishlist to watch for the next sale.

Yup - I'd say there are some similar elements. This one has couch coop and is stylistic quite different, but they both have mechanical similarity.

I have to admit to not having played Hades shh don't tell anyone. However Morta has an excellent story in a fun Rogue Like game so if that's what you are looking for I would give it a very big recommendation.

Strong recommendation on Morta from me.

Has some mechanical similarities as it's a rogue like with progression. Instead of picking a weapon for each run you choose a family member, each of whom specializes in a different weapon, which has a distinct play style.

Never tried co op but seems like it would be great.

Story wise there is some similarity. There are small easter eggs of the story and world in various levels, but it's mostly told in vignettes between runs.
Unlike Hades, the family in Morta is mostly functional.

They're distinct in theme and tone so I wouldn't expect much fatigue or overlap there.

Morta is a gem and I think you'd enjoy it.

I just picked this up on Game Pass and played it a bit on my Xbox. I'm really digging the story, but the gameplay isn't quite doing it for me. There's an awful lot of kiting while I wait for my AOE ability to come off cooldown. Linda is kind of a bad shot (the auto-aim isn't actually that helpful), which I could live with except I've got a thing where I'm supposed to stand still but if I even try to adjust her aim she walks and loses the damage buff. Is there a way to get that skill point back? John and Kevin seem to control fine, but it's still tricky to actually get in close and fight things without taking too much damage so swapping to them does little to alleviate my frustration.

I'm really getting the sense that this thing is balanced for co-op, based on the way the game feels and that sequence in the intro where Linda showed up to help. Maybe I should try that.

Also what's the point of the shop keeper? Will something happen that makes enough gems drop that you can expect to buy things from him? I guess picking up a heal or two is helpful but it's kinda boring.

Vargen wrote:

Linda is kind of a bad shot (the auto-aim isn't actually that helpful), which I could live with except I've got a thing where I'm supposed to stand still but if I even try to adjust her aim she walks and loses the damage buff. Is there a way to get that skill point back? John and Kevin seem to control fine, but it's still tricky to actually get in close and fight things without taking too much damage so swapping to them does little to alleviate my frustration.

Are you using the right stick to attack/shoot?

The melee fighters can be tough to use to start but once you get a couple skills points in they get a lot better. I definitely leant on the ranged for a good while at the start.

Vargen wrote:

I'm really getting the sense that this thing is balanced for co-op, based on the way the game feels and that sequence in the intro where Linda showed up to help. Maybe I should try that.

Played mostly solo apart from a few levels where my son came along for the ride but I may go back and replay since his skills have improved a lot in the last year.

Vargen wrote:

Also what's the point of the shop keeper? Will something happen that makes enough gems drop that you can expect to buy things from him? I guess picking up a heal or two is helpful but it's kinda boring.

Towards end game you can increase the currency drop rate a lot but heals are the big thing until then.

I played and completed the game a few weeks to a month ago. Didn't find it balanced towards co-op at all, especially since that was added after the game was released. It's a roguelike so you're supposed to be underpower and dying early on. I ended up really enjoying using Kevin, Mark, Linda, and Lucy. Linda and Lucy, especially, become extremely overpowered near the end of their tech-tree. I managed one boss victory with John but that purely due to his survivability.

Overall great game but I found it a little short.

I discovered that it's also available on PC with Game Pass and my save transferred. Linda's a stone-cold badass when she can aim. And the whole walk-while-shooting mechanic actually makes sense when you can backpedal.

Chasing the bird was a lot harder with the keyboard though.

malking wrote:

Are you using the right stick to attack/shoot?

You can do that? That would help a lot. I must have missed something in the tutorial. I guess I'll try that before I dig into getting this working with the Steam Controller. I figured I must have been missing something, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered posting. Thank you.

All characters can be controlled as if they are twin stick shooters. I prefer using it for the ranged characters only, however.

pandasuit wrote:

It’s a great game. My son and I really enjoyed coop.

Hopelessly late to respond to this, but can I ask how old your son is, Panda? I have an 8-year-old, and I'm always looking for things to play with him. He's better than me at most things already, but CoM looked a bit too complex. What was your experience?

Tasty Pudding wrote:
pandasuit wrote:

It’s a great game. My son and I really enjoyed coop.

Hopelessly late to respond to this, but can I ask how old your son is, Panda? I have an 8-year-old, and I'm always looking for things to play with him. He's better than me at most things already, but CoM looked a bit too complex. What was your experience?

He was 5 at the time. I’m not gonna say he was always a helpful teammate but it was fun. He didn’t understand how to control the menus and all that so I was always the primary player.

Every run helps you level up and the gameplay itself is fun so even when we were losing runs we were having fun and making our characters more powerful for the next run.

The main thing I noticed is he tended to play way too aggressive a lot of the time and die often. Some of the later characters you unlock are way better for an aggressive play style so he liked to use those ones while I usually chose whatever character supported his well.

pandasuit wrote:

He was 5 at the time. I’m not gonna say he was always a helpful teammate but it was fun. He didn’t understand how to control the menus and all that so I was always the primary player.

Every run helps you level up and the gameplay itself is fun so even when we were losing runs we were having fun and making our characters more powerful for the next run.

The main thing I noticed is he tended to play way too aggressive a lot of the time and die often. Some of the later characters you unlock are way better for an aggressive play style so he liked to use those ones while I usually chose whatever character supported his well.

Thanks for the response. I'd have to help my son interpret the stats if this is a stat-heavy game (and most ARPGs do tend to throw a lot of numbers at you), but it sounds like this could be up our alley. I'll add it to our list.

I know what you mean about the aggressive play, btw. I'm cautious to the point of complete passivity in my old age, whereas my son, in most games, tends to just wade in and figure things out through instinct. That's probably why he's out-performing me most of the time...

If you loved Hades you owe it to yourself to pick up Children of Morta. Very similar to Hades in a lot of ways in that the central story to the game revolves around the power of family, and that the family home is the hub of the roguelike failure missions but Morta tells its own charming, unique story. Both games take advantage of teaching the player multiple unique but effective combat styles, whether it be the legendary weapons of Hades or the individual talents of the family members.