Rebel Galaxy Outlaw - Privateering-All

Woo hoo!

This one KILLS me:

*Blood Eagle can now use Mk4 Power Plant and Mk3 Shields

The Blood Eagle was ALREADY an unabashed killing machine, now it'll be nigh unstoppable.

I finally did that mission where you have to disable the police ships.

It's the kind of mission that took *many* tries, including

1) one where I escaped with 1% core remaining, then waited at the entrace to the casino for my repair droid to fix everything [instead of docking and launching to save it], and a pirate turned up and killed me after 10 minutes).
2) one where I ran out of shots on the disabling thingy with one ship left, and had to wait for the last ship to kill me
3) Several where I died incredibly quickly
4) two where the turrets I'd left on killed the ships and I had to do the whole thing again

My controller has teeth marks now. The time I actually did it (once I took the turrets off and learned the right aim correction to make for the Durston's launcher position - essentially I had to aim a centimetre left) I had nothing damaged at all.

Anyway, I'm at level three in my Durston now, I guess. I need to save up for the next shield generator and power plant. I've replaced my gauss guns with autocannons across the board, but I'm not really hitting anything moving tangentially to me any more, though they're great for destroyers and things coming towards me.

Is there a thought for the best set of weapons? I guess the tachyon guns at the far right become possible with the largest power plant.

I did that mission yesterday and it took me 3 tries. I would have completed it on my first attempt if I didn't forget to disable my turrets. They killed a disabled cop when I had two cops to go. I got destroyed near instantly on my second attempt. Third attempt came down to nearly my last shot but managed to do it. I have a partially upgraded Durston but used my cyclic afterburner to get some distance and try to focus on head to head battles.

I'm early on in my Durston but all I'm using at the moment are 2x Gauss Guns, 1 Ion Cannon, 1 Tracer, and 2 IMREC Missiles, and 2 Combat Turrets. It's definitely not ideal but I can shred most ships with pretty minimal drain to my power. I like having a for continuous fire but it'll be the next weapon I can replace.

Having fun flying the Sequioa around. Sure, I could kit out a beluga pretty easy with the cash I'm sitting on, just not sure I want to. Making all my money running contraband, so I don't know if I want the coyote/dingo and it's tiny hold, either.

The last game had turret settings like "my target only". Not sure if this does too but maybe that would help?

I upgraded to the Durston and while it allows for some very lucrative Merchant guild missions it drive like a brick and is a flying liability in any major fire fight. I hate it. I shall be using it only for as long as I need it to get the Coyote and do a proper upgrade once I have it. Then I'll spend some time sorting out the story missions and smuggling a little.

Vector wrote:

I did that mission yesterday and it took me 3 tries. I would have completed it on my first attempt if I didn't forget to disable my turrets. They killed a disabled cop when I had two cops to go. I got destroyed near instantly on my second attempt. Third attempt came down to nearly my last shot but managed to do it. I have a partially upgraded Durston but used my cyclic afterburner to get some distance and try to focus on head to head battles.

I'm early on in my Durston but all I'm using at the moment are 2x Gauss Guns, 1 Ion Cannon, 1 Tracer, and 2 IMREC Missiles, and 2 Combat Turrets. It's definitely not ideal but I can shred most ships with pretty minimal drain to my power. I like having a for continuous fire but it'll be the next weapon I can replace.

I finally realized those missiles were times and you could lead targets and be pretty successful.

DudleySmith wrote:

Is there a thought for the best set of weapons? I guess the tachyon guns at the far right become possible with the largest power plant.

From what I've played and seen, either all autocannons or a mix of autocannons and photon cannons. The weapons with higher power draw have a HUGE drawback in that they compete for power with your shields and to a lesser extent your engines. What generally gets you killed is running out of power, so whatever advantages the other weapons have are (currently) outweighed by that. Turrets and missiles are up to you.

There's also a sniper build for the faster/more maneuverable ships with Gauss cannons where you ignore your shield power and focus on staying out of range instead. The problem with this build is that you have to get out of range first, which means you either have to use close waypoints and afterburners to approach problem locations slowly, or just autopilot in and hope you can burn to safety without dying.

Has anyone successfully done the "Retribution" story mission and has some tips? I'm having a lot of trouble with it. I've failed it about 10 times without really making any progress with it. I've tried positioning myself in different places but two ships always spawn right on top of me, and the other ships seem to attack me and not my two allies.

I have a Durston with 4 auto cannons, 2 tracer turrets and 2 imrec launchers, and my omnipresent krap skillz.

I've found one YouTube video showing someone complete it, but I think they were in a Coyote and not a Durston.

I've got a Durston with a level 4 powerplant, level 4 shield, 3 tachyon guns, a mining laser I keep turned off, 2 tracer turrets and 2 imrec launchers and I'm able to survive large groups by just boosting to the edge of the fight and then spiral my way back in picking off ships one at a time. You do have to be careful with the power consumption but the firepower lets you take out most enemies in one or 2 passes and doesn't give time for reinforcements to make it to you before you've moved on to the next target. I tried a few loadouts with mixed ballistic and energy weapons or shield breakers mixed with hull breakers but honestly the sheer dps of 3 tachyon's doesn't leave much to clean up if you hit your target. The only time I might swap up my loadout would be if I'm going after a Pirate Cruiser or something and even then that setup will take out a cruiser turret with a couple of good bursts.

Question about scaling. In general, Rebel Galaxy scaled with what ship you were in, is that still the case? I'm still flying my under-equipped Sequioa with gauss guns & heatseekers (I like the gauss gauns because of the insane range). Credits aren't an issue, just inertia, and my resistance to change. Missions can be challenging but rarely impossible. Will upgrading make them easier, harder, or just different?

I'm at the missions Innoculation & Catholic guilt. This is the first time story related missions have been red difficulty/risk.

Speaking of Innoculation, are the companion missions optional or mandatory parts of the story line?

On the whole, while I'm enjoying RGO, I think it is a step backwards from Rebel Galaxy. You got to fly bigger ships, hire escorts, and (if memory serves) overall able to do more. So far it seems like RGO is a smaller game.

Anyone know what the better radars do? The Optimus Mk2 vs. the Optimus Mk1 is obvious, allowing missiles to lock and color coding your friend vs. foe. I can't see any significant difference in the descriptions between that and the Optimus Mk3 or the Rangers though. The description mention multi weapon ITTS, but no idea what that is or whether it's worth the power draw. Does the scan range improve on the higher models?

So until you get the Infinity radar, I think your choices are IFF coloration or the leading reticle for your weapons.

"Multi-weapon ITTS" is having multiple leading reticles, one for each of your weapon types. Might not be relevant to your particular loadout, but it's definitely needed for some.

Nevin73 wrote:

On the whole, while I'm enjoying RGO, I think it is a step backwards from Rebel Galaxy. You got to fly bigger ships, hire escorts, and (if memory serves) overall able to do more. So far it seems like RGO is a smaller game.

It's actually a much larger game in terms of size, it just feels smaller due to the autopilot. It also has buddies you can call and more mission variety. Sir.

Teneman wrote:

Anyone know what the better radars do? The Optimus Mk2 vs. the Optimus Mk1 is obvious, allowing missiles to lock and color coding your friend vs. foe. I can't see any significant difference in the descriptions between that and the Optimus Mk3 or the Rangers though. The description mention multi weapon ITTS, but no idea what that is or whether it's worth the power draw. Does the scan range improve on the higher models?

The ITTS is a reticle for each weapon type you have, so if you use different weapons of differing ranges and velocities, you'll get multiple reticles.

Scan range does not improve. What you get is friend and foe coloring, lock on capabilities and the aforementioned ITTS with the more expensive models.

Veloxi wrote:
Nevin73 wrote:

On the whole, while I'm enjoying RGO, I think it is a step backwards from Rebel Galaxy. You got to fly bigger ships, hire escorts, and (if memory serves) overall able to do more. So far it seems like RGO is a smaller game.

It's actually a much larger game in terms of size, it just feels smaller due to the autopilot. It also has buddies you can call and more mission variety. Sir.

I recently played so RG and all that Veloxi said is true. This feels different with greater variety. A very good step forward and, hopefully, an even better building block for some more innovative systems. I’m liking this a lot more the RG simply because there’s more to do and the story is a lot more interesting. A lot of my criticisms come down to the development team being only 5 people and I’m not going to demand more and intricate work when I know it take another 3 years to complete.

I feel like we knew what we were getting for$30. A privateer style game in the RG universe.

vypre wrote:
Agathos wrote:

Speaking of which, will I be able to cover my ship in Taiwanese flags, Hong Kong flags, and maybe a few Winnie the Pooh decals? Can I mod them in if I play on PC?

From what I've seen, you can load in any image file and plaster your ship with whatever you want. I think one of their gameplay videos has a demonstration. I'll throw in a link if I can find it.

Edit: here it is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPXc...

Picked this up on Wednesday, mostly been playing the ship painting tool. To partly deliver on the promise/threat I made a few weeks ago, here is the Black Bauhinia with Wilted Petals:

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/vg4UPDa.jpg)

Any tips on the Durgan/Ansel fight? I basically get blown out of the sky right away. It seems the bases missiles are targeting me and trying to get out of ranged usually leaves my loaded up Durston without shields and a few systems damaged.

I had a lot of trouble with it in my Durston with level 3 shield generator / power and 4 auto cannons. I left it for a while and came back with a level 4 shield generator / power and 2 tachyon guns. I also found that you don't need to kill the frigates - it stopped as soon as I killed Durgan (though I'd killed a lot of other fighters at that point).

My Durston has a bad turning circle, so I tend to target enemies 3-4km away firing missiles coming straight at me rather than getting stuck in a dance with a target 500m away whilst his mates pop missiles at me.

Finally got around to getting a Durston, this is it. Had in my head I was going to come up with a reaver look and feel, then add some stencils or other details, but liked the look so decided to just leave it glowy red
IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/Q89TCIC.png)

DudleySmith wrote:

I had a lot of trouble with it in my Durston with level 3 shield generator / power and 4 auto cannons. I left it for a while and came back with a level 4 shield generator / power and 2 tachyon guns. I also found that you don't need to kill the frigates - it stopped as soon as I killed Durgan (though I'd killed a lot of other fighters at that point).

My Durston has a bad turning circle, so I tend to target enemies 3-4km away firing missiles coming straight at me rather than getting stuck in a dance with a target 500m away whilst his mates pop missiles at me.

Thanks for the advice. I decided to give it one more try before I left it alone. Ended up flying far away and picking off individuals one at a time while Ansel took care of Durgan. This mission seemed to be a big point in the story as a lot of missions unlocked after completion.

Cloud sync is no longer working for me. Everytime I launch the game I get told that my local save file is newer than the cloud. I click upload to cloud, but apparently it's not doing anything because the date on the cloud save hasn't changed since 8/28.

I’m wondering if someone can give me a sense of how far along I am? I’ve finished every quest and am waiting Ruth to let me know where Sandar is. I’m not sure what will trigger his communication. I have no quests left, fully upgraded my Beluga (King Kong) and station, and have over 500,000 in my bank account. Kind of spinning my wheels at this point.

Never mind, I was pretty close to the end.

Spoiler:

The ending sequence is very disappointing. The final fight, in which I chose to betray Tatiana, I stayed on the edge and the cops and Ruth took out her ship. Then it was two dialogue sequences and over. I completed every character sidequest, fully upgraded Bountiful Vista, and kitted out a Beluga as much as possible. Ended up flying around aimlessly waiting for the final few missions to trigger.

As much as I enjoyed the game and the mechanics are fantastic, it needed a bit more of a hook. Maybe more ways to build out Bountiful Vista or something to sink my money into. It was very nostalgic but I would like them to do more with the genre if they choose to return to it.

I’ve been enjoying the game and I’m currently building up Bountiful view and completing the various side missions. I’m in a Coyote at the moment, level 4 power plant, shields, 4 auto cannons and 2 photon guns and I’m fine in most battles provided I don’t allow myself to get overwhelmed. My main issue at the moment is the common one in sandbox space sims - the central loop of flying around completing missions is getting a little stale, and the unevenness of the mission ratings at times. It also seems rewards favour trading rather than combat. A ‘source x number of commodities for 100,000 credits has an initial cost for sure, but once completed are exponentially more lucrative than most other things you can do in the game (especially considering the cost of repairing your ship if you’ve been in one bad dogfight) I’ve had some ‘low’ rated missions where I’ve jumped in and immediately suffered heavy damage from 2 or 3 bombers releasing missile swarms at me as soon as I reach the destination.

I’m certainly enjoying it but I can’t see me playing to for endless hours just yet. Feels like it could use some more DLC to me. Seriously impressive for such a small team though, i take nothing away from what they have achieved so far.

Vector wrote:

Never mind, I was pretty close to the end.

Spoiler:

The ending sequence is very disappointing. The final fight, in which I chose to betray Tatiana, I stayed on the edge and the cops and Ruth took out her ship. Then it was two dialogue sequences and over. I completed every character sidequest, fully upgraded Bountiful Vista, and kitted out a Beluga as much as possible. Ended up flying around aimlessly waiting for the final few missions to trigger.

As much as I enjoyed the game and the mechanics are fantastic, it needed a bit more of a hook. Maybe more ways to build out Bountiful Vista or something to sink my money into. It was very nostalgic but I would like them to do more with the genre if they choose to return to it.

Hrm....I didn't realize that's the end. I guess I finished the story. A bit anti-climactic, but I had a ton of fun. Would love to see some DLC, although I imagine the devs are busy trying to bring it to consoles.