Pathway

Spotted this game on Steam and it is coming out today! Looks very neat.

You’re right; it does look very neat!

Thought that art style was familiar. Same group made Halfway.

Got a close eye on this one.

My dance card is full atm but I’d like to make time for this in the future.

Game looks REALLY promising.

Punching pixelnazis? I'm in.

I have a 10% Off coupon expiring on the 18th so I'll probably wait a week before I pick this up. Since I'm playing My Time At Portia (and that game is unexpectedly long) it'll be a while before I can get to this.

In Pathway, defeat isn't necessarily the end of your adventure. Characters will retain their experience after defeat, so players can invest into building a team which will get progressively stronger! There's even rare equipment and advanced skills and abilities to unlock for every adventurer.

Makes it sound a lot like a rouguelike. The Steam page doesn't actually mention roguelike but it very clearly has some of those mechanics. As long as I always feel like I'm working towards something, I'll enjoy it.

Yeah the way I understand it is there’s 4 unique story chapters and you’re placed on a node based map for each, kinda like a board game. Nodes can be combat, stores, story events, etc.

But you’re constantly building and upgrading a team of over a dozen characters, regardless if you fail a story chapter or not.

I linked this gameplay vid in the Trailers thread last week, but there should be a lot more online since the game just launched.

Love that chunky UI and the soundtrack is amazing. Hope the tactical gameplay suite and story elements deliver.

As of yesterday, this may have dethroned my Darkest Dungeon plans. Then again, in reading up on Pathway, it seems that WarGroove received a big QoL patch last month -- and that has a Switch option. Would give me a good excuse to get my Switch back (it's been out of my possession for many months, maybe near a year now). Argh, choices..

BoogtehWoog and pyxistyx: seems you might be inclined as early adopters. Certainly give us your impressions should that be the case!

I wish this had controller support. Just bought an XBox One Elite controller and I really enjoy holding it.

I'll try and get some video up of this today.

Played (and failed) the first mission. This is basically FTL Indiana Jones, but with turn based combat encounters and possibly a bit more overall progression? Maybe? I'll have to check with the two characters i played with to see if they are still level 2 after they get out of the hospital

Here's a decent early game LP.

ok, cool, yeah upgrades and equipment found are persistent. Great! I hate having to restart entirely from scratch each time you lose.

pyxistyx wrote:

ok, cool, yeah upgrades and equipment found are persistent. Great! I hate having to restart entirely from scratch each time you lose.

That would have been a deal breaker for me. From the sounds of it, there is an actual ending due to the chapter structure. Personally not a fan of endless run games.

yeah far as I can see you keep everything, xp, loot you find, cash, etc.

oho! if you lose a guy half way through a mission, you get the goodest of boys as a replacement! <3

^ Potentially rhetorical: don't necessarily spoil this, but does that mean what I think it means??

Also, is there friendly fire? Don't judge me if I go 'accidental commissar' on someone to expedite retrieval of the doggo.

I should say, nobody permanently dies on the good guys side, you just end up in the hospital and they have to skip the next mission attempt. You unlock new team members by doing certain things or triggering certain events, rogue-lite style, as you'd probably expect.

Yay! This looks super fun.

Just FYI, if you already own Starbound or Wargroove on Steam you should have a 10% coupon for Pathway in your inventory.

I'm planning on purchasing this after work today - got a busy weekend but hopefully will fit some time in for it.

Aha! Grabbed this, and some BBQ, after work. Just downed scenario 1. Could be this triple sweet tea talking, but this is pretty rock'n -- specially for ~ $15.99 USD. I got torn to shreds the first run.. really pays to make use of the special skills and bravery points refill system. Went with the medic and the sniper on the next run, even though he has a big malus vs Nazi damage.

[edit clarify] The Russian Dr. woman didn't seem to have the damage output initially on paper, but I like that she has double shot, from pistol, and the fast movement skill, from light armor. Good flexibility. I need to look at her skill progression next time I load it up.. If I can bump up her willpower stat then, presumably (?) , she could 'run and gun' on a single turn with 4 using a 2/2 turn with double shot / the light armor skill. Would be a nice get out of jail card.

my favourite is the nordic lady with the knives. stab stab stab!

Currently on mission 3. it's surprisingly easier than i was expecting it to be :O
(which is not to say it's easy, per se, but that it's not as brutally difficult as the average rogue-like, which is usually a bit turnoff for me).

I've put around 2 hours into this so far. Really enjoying it!

The devs have put a rough plan for the future of Pathway up on the Steam page. The tl;dr version is bug fixes for the short term, feature enhancements medium term, more content in the long term. Sounds good to me!

pyxistyx wrote:

Currently on mission 3. it's surprisingly easier than i was expecting it to be :O
(which is not to say it's easy, per se, but that it's not as brutally difficult as the average rogue-like, which is usually a bit turnoff for me).

I like this too. I have a tendency to bounce off roguelites for being super hard. I still find Pathway to be very difficult, but it's fairly manageable. There's a few difficulty sliders to tailor the experience a bit too, which is nice.

pyxistyx wrote:

my favourite is the nordic lady with the knives. stab stab stab!

My goal is to 'grind' her unlock this weekend -- if five bleedouts could even be considered a grind. Problem so far is 1 or 2 knife attacks typically do enemies in, even if you use the bleed attack, as opposed to next turn bleed damage. I'm guessing all my uses of that skill, thus far, have netted me 0.

Same with the better sniper unlock. I used that a ton, but with ~Baron's lower damage vs Nazi's it typically acts as an opener vs a finisher. I suspect I'll need to 'game' the enemy deaths with these respective skills.

I'm in. I decided I needed a break from RPGs for a bit, and wanted a beer 'n pretzels type of experience. I'm downloading now and hope to start right away.

EDIT: I've reached a midpoint of sorts in Mission 2. I wasn't really enjoying it after about an hour. But now, 2+ hours in, I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

i think my main complaint at the moment is that some of the missions (mission 2 in particular, where you have to get through three huge maps) feels too long. The "one more quick game" quality of the first mission is kinda lost a bit when there are multiple maps to clear.

Also i spoke too soon about difficult Mission 3 is a tricky one, with it's undead hordes and creepy cultists!

Yeah I reached a point where I'd got pretty far in Mission 2 and started thinking to myself "I'm going to be really annoyed if I fail this run". Fortunately I completed it! Very nearly ran out of fuel and 2 of my crew didn't survive the final fight, but we got there in the end. I think I've pretty much got the hang of the combat now - for a while I kept making a lot of mistakes in assuming I had more cover than I did, or that the enemy couldn't/wouldn't flank me.

My gut feeling is that either the Codex is lacking, or that I don't know how to find relevant information inside it.

Is there really no way to rest/heal/refill armour except at a rest point? I don't know if points of interest are fixed or procedurally generated, but the only rest point in my first mission map was 20% of the way through the map. I really needed to rest before the last battle, but it would have cost me, like, thirty fuel to get there and back.

Also, what's Bravery? When does it refill? I thought it might refill with a rest, but then it was full at the start of some of the fights. Not ALL of the fights, though - just some of them.

Also, it is frustrating that the red highlight for enemies that will be visible when you're moving a character doesn't apply to the secondary weapon too. I had my grenade guy out of position for grenade throws on several occasions because I assumed a target square would be visible/reachable... and then it wasn't.

Aside from that, I'm enjoying the game so far. I failed the first mission by death in the last battle because I was going into it unhealed and unarmoured, so we'll give that another crack with a different team.

Struggling against these cultists and zombies!

One thing I would like to see is my progress towards unlocking a character. Like, it'll say to kill x amount of Nazis or kill x amount of enemies via bleeding, but how many have I killed so far? How many left until unlock? Unless it does tell me that and I just haven't seen it.

Feegle wrote:

Is there really no way to rest/heal/refill armour except at a rest point? I don't know if points of interest are fixed or procedurally generated, but the only rest point in my first mission map was 20% of the way through the map. I really needed to rest before the last battle, but it would have cost me, like, thirty fuel to get there and back.

There's items that you can use to heal or repair armour. You don't need to be in battle to do it either - just click on the bar at the bottom of the map screen. The catch is that you need to have a party member that has the required skill.

Feegle wrote:

Also, what's Bravery? When does it refill? I thought it might refill with a rest, but then it was full at the start of some of the fights. Not ALL of the fights, though - just some of them.

Bravery regenerates when your player does certain things - hitting an enemy, critical hits, healing, repairing etc. Go to the Combat tab in the codex, then Special Actions from the side menu and it'll give you a list.

halfwaywrong wrote:

One thing I would like to see is my progress towards unlocking a character. Like, it'll say to kill x amount of Nazis or kill x amount of enemies via bleeding, but how many have I killed so far? How many left until unlock? Unless it does tell me that and I just haven't seen it.

I think you can see this in two places: the codex, under achievements (in game), and on the Steam achievements page (out of game)

yeah they show up on the achievements tab of the info pages.

Currently on mission 4, definitely ramps up the difficulty with those danged techno-nazis, although i still made it to the final battle before falling.

halfwaywrong wrote:
Feegle wrote:

Is there really no way to rest/heal/refill armour except at a rest point? I don't know if points of interest are fixed or procedurally generated, but the only rest point in my first mission map was 20% of the way through the map. I really needed to rest before the last battle, but it would have cost me, like, thirty fuel to get there and back.

There's items that you can use to heal or repair armour. You don't need to be in battle to do it either - just click on the bar at the bottom of the map screen. The catch is that you need to have a party member that has the required skill.

Feegle wrote:

Not strictly true, I think you only need to have a party member with the skill if you want to use the repair/medkits during battle. Anyone can use them from the inventory screen.

There are also occasionally small random events like encountering a peddler who will fix your current armour for free.

Also, I tend to keep spare sets of armour in my inventory so I can swap them out if need be (and then you can always double back to a rest point after switching them again so that you repair all your armour pretty much for free).

Godzilla Blitz wrote:
halfwaywrong wrote:

One thing I would like to see is my progress towards unlocking a character. Like, it'll say to kill x amount of Nazis or kill x amount of enemies via bleeding, but how many have I killed so far? How many left until unlock? Unless it does tell me that and I just haven't seen it.

I think you can see this in two places: the codex, under achievements (in game), and on the Steam achievements page (out of game)

Ah thanks, I see now. Don't know how I missed that!

pyxistyx wrote:

Not strictly true, I think you only need to have a party member with the skill if you want to use the repair/medkits during battle. Anyone can use them from the inventory screen.

That's good to know. I think I just made an assumption and never bothered to actually try it without the right characters. That should hopefully make things a little easier.