The GWJ CRPG Club - Game 6: Arcanum (In Progress)

Pages

Glad you got it working better, Sorbicol!

Math wrote:
Sorbicol wrote:
Math wrote:

So I (finally!!) made it through the Black Mountain Mine. Good god it was painful. Currently level 24 and on my way to Ashbury. Maxed Dodge and Melee (haven't trained to Master yet) and am working up my Strength and Charisma.

Honestly, if there was a cheat for teleportation and/or fast movement I would install it in a heartbeat. I'm interested in the gameworld and story, but traveling is just. so. painfully. slow.

I believe there is a mage spell for that.

Yeah, not a mage

I travelled a lot back and forth among the first few cities I encountered, which got tedious. As the game moved on I felt like there was less of that. I was still traveling, but there was less backtracking.

Math wrote:
Sorbicol wrote:
Math wrote:

So I (finally!!) made it through the Black Mountain Mine. Good god it was painful. Currently level 24 and on my way to Ashbury. Maxed Dodge and Melee (haven't trained to Master yet) and am working up my Strength and Charisma.

Honestly, if there was a cheat for teleportation and/or fast movement I would install it in a heartbeat. I'm interested in the gameworld and story, but traveling is just. so. painfully. slow.

I believe there is a mage spell for that.

Yeah, not a mage ;)

By the end of the game, my buff pure-fighter dude had enough points in Int to cast teleport (a max-tier spell). It's definitely possible.

Wrapped up Isle of Despair, Wheel Clan, and Stillwater. Level 30 currently, and onward to Qintarra.

Spoiler:

I actually managed to talk my way straight to the King in Wheel Clan, but ended up diving through the Dredge anyway for the exp.

The mainline quest in Stillwater made me laugh.

Math wrote:

Wrapped up Isle of Despair, Wheel Clan, and Stillwater. Level 30 currently, and onward to Qintarra.

Spoiler:

I actually managed to talk my way straight to the King in Wheel Clan, but ended up diving through the Dredge anyway for the exp.

The mainline quest in Stillwater made me laugh.

I did the exact same thing!

Nice progress! It starts to really pick up speed from there too. You've got this!

I've just reached Qintarra. There's not a lot that can touch my mage now, and if they can a quick burst of Disintegrate is sort of the mage equivalent of "drop the mic" - rendering them down to their constituent atoms seems to do the job.

I know there is so much I am missing now, and I'm sort of thinking a tech playthrough at some point might be worth the time investment, but for now I'm going to press on and probably just concentrate on the main plot. I'm quite tempted to do the Ancient Gods quest though (although I couldn't make head nor tail of Mazzerin's Mystery and had to look it up in a walkthrough).

I think I'm nearly at the end game now:

Spoiler:

I've been to T'sen Ang and spoken to whatshername about what's happened to the BMC. Now I'm back in Caladon about to go and speak with the Panarii, with my new elven flirt alongside. Virgil has run off though, I thnk I may need to go and find him to bring him back

Getting the teleport spell has been a godsend of unimaginable proportions (sort of) as I am now a very high level mage, so I can't use technological mass transit systems and the ship captains stil won't take me to half the places on the map. Being able to warp from one location to the next - no more interminable trekking across the world map for me! Well, at least not back to where I've been before...

Update!

Spoiler:

Finished T'eng Ang and Caladon, got the boat from the Pirate Ghost, and found Jesus Nasrudin.

Me, the dog, and Bates's bodyguard are mowing through things. Jormund and Raven are along for the ride. I had Waromon (the lizard man) for a bit, but apparently he died somewhere and I never noticed. RIP?

I'm leaning pretty heavily on online maps, cause I just can't stand exploring in this game.

All in all, I'm really enjoying the story and world. I would think an Enhanced Edition (a la BG or PS:T) would do so much to make the game more bearable for a modern audience.

Math wrote:

Update!

Spoiler:

Finished T'eng Ang and Caladon, got the boat from the Pirate Ghost, and found Jesus Nasrudin.

Me, the dog, and Bates's bodyguard are mowing through things. Jormund and Raven are along for the ride. I had Waromon (the lizard man) for a bit, but apparently he died somewhere and I never noticed. RIP?

I'm leaning pretty heavily on online maps, cause I just can't stand exploring in this game.

All in all, I'm really enjoying the story and world. I would think an Enhanced Edition (a la BG or PS:T) would do so much to make the game more bearable for a modern audience.

I feel like it needs a few months of tweaking the mechanics as well. Some builds are overpowered through the whole game. Some builds are under-powered and require micro-management. If you could pull the extremes toward the middle more (well, in addition to losing the micro-management altogether) I think you'd really have something special.

And then yeah, update the graphics some, improve the map and movement systems, streamline the inventory management, and add quest markers, and it'd be super fun.

And victory!

Spoiler:

No lies: I looked up the Tulla puzzle solution.

In the void, I released Arronax cause he seemed like a repentant guy and found the game-breakingly good sword just by wandering around.

I like how many options the game gives for defeating Kerghan. I went with talking him into suicide-by-magical-box (after a first, very brief, attempt at combat).

All in all, I'm really glad I played this one.

Liked: The setting was quite interesting and the game was very committed to giving you many avenues to solve a quest. The story had its interesting moments, with a nicely foreshadowed 'twist' at the end.

Disliked: The UI for obvious reasons. The opacity of some of the underlying systems. The companions were pretty dull except for Virgil.

I would be interested in seeing how other runs turn out, e.g. low-intelligence or pacifist conduct runs. But I can't bring myself to wrestle with the UI again. Maybe when it gets a EE/remaster/etc.

Math wrote:

And victory!

I would be interested in seeing how other runs turn out, e.g. low-intelligence or pacifist conduct runs. But I can't bring myself to wrestle with the UI again. Maybe when it gets a EE/remaster/etc.

Congrats! Nice work!

I'm very much in the same place. I've got a handful of other character builds I'd enjoy trying, but the friction in the system would be a bit tricky to bear again. Even re-starting after I played myself into a corner with a gunslinger was tough to overcome.

And we are finished. In the end I found it to be very enjoyable, but with a fair dose of frustration (oh man that UI!) and some well meaning but badly thought out mechanics. Travelling and shopping shouldn't be that difficult just because you are a mage! (although that teleportation spell really does the business if you can be bothered to invest in it.

It deserves a tech play-through at some point I guess, but not right now. An Extended Edition ah la Baldur's Gate would be very interesting though I think.

Spoiler:

I also freed Arronax (and cheated in Tulla), but for some reason never got the option not to fight Kerghan. So fight him I did. I did rather like the Vendigroth device cutscene though. If you are going to destroy someone's soul, strikes me that device would definitely do so.

Sorbicol wrote:
Spoiler:

I also freed Arronax (and cheated in Tulla), but for some reason never got the option not to fight Kerghan. So fight him I did. I did rather like the Vendigroth device cutscene though. If you are going to destroy someone's soul, strikes me that device would definitely do so.

Spoiler:

From what I could tell, the dialogue branch followed an option which (at least to me) read like you were agreeing with Kerghan. Turns out that the subsequent dialogue was more of an argument still.

I also had 20 Charisma and maxed Persuasion. ;)

Sorbicol wrote:

And we are finished. In the end I found it to be very enjoyable, but with a fair dose of frustration (oh man that UI!) and some well meaning but badly thought out mechanics. Travelling and shopping shouldn't be that difficult just because you are a mage! (although that teleportation spell really does the business if you can be bothered to invest in it.

It deserves a tech play-through at some point I guess, but not right now. An Extended Edition ah la Baldur's Gate would be very interesting though I think.

Spoiler:

I also freed Arronax (and cheated in Tulla), but for some reason never got the option not to fight Kerghan. So fight him I did. I did rather like the Vendigroth device cutscene though. If you are going to destroy someone's soul, strikes me that device would definitely do so.

Congrats!

There are six of us now who have completed the game. Slowly but surely, but this still looks to be our lowest completed game so far.

Pages