2019 NFL Offseason Extravaganza

How can both the Raiders and Steelers screw this up!?

IMAGE(https://rawfoodhypocrite.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/kfc-so-good.jpg)

UpToIsomorphism wrote:

How can both the Raiders and Steelers screw this up!?

How do you figure the Steelers screwed up? They seemed pretty handcuffed if AB refused to play for the teams offering better trade packages. Considering what the Raiders offered $$$ wise seems like AB was going to reject pretty much all other trades to get that package.

edit: I read Barnwells ESPN piece and all the cap related stuff makes sense I guess. This was never going to be that great for the Steelers but seems like they cornered themselves in respect of the cap hits.

jowner wrote:
UpToIsomorphism wrote:

How can both the Raiders and Steelers screw this up!?

How do you figure the Steelers screwed up? They seemed pretty handcuffed if AB refused to play for the teams offering better trade packages. Considering what the Raiders offered $$$ wise seems like AB was going to reject pretty much all other trades to get that package.

edit: I read Barnwells ESPN piece and all the cap related stuff makes sense I guess. This was never going to be that great for the Steelers but seems like they cornered themselves in respect of the cap hits.

They screwed up both AB and LB to the point they're no longer with the team.

While I don’t think the Raiders will ever get full value out of AB I don’t think it’s a terrible deal for them. It gives them a legit weapon for Carr we just have to see if it ends up mattering with all their other issues.

The Raiders acquired a WR at peak Diva. What could possibly go wrong?

It's a great deal for the Raiders considering what they got for him!

whispa wrote:

It's a great deal for the Raiders considering what they got for him!

Which makes me wonder if what timeline we're in.

garion333 wrote:

They screwed up both AB and LB to the point they're no longer with the team.

Bell especially. They had the opportunity to either sign Bell long-term or trade him and get his value back. They tried to call his bluff, only to find he wasn't bluffing. (Also likely to his own detriment, as he may find the market softer than he expects and will not make up the $14 million he didn't earn in 2018. Unless the Raiders sign Bell to a crazy deal, I think he's likely to be disappointed with his free agent value.)

Justin Houston released. Sounding like his value might be less than expected too. I think this is in general bot a great year to be an edge rusher in free agency, as there's both an unusually high number of them available, as well as the deepest edge rusher draft class in years. It's a good year to be needing edge rushers, there's likely to be bargains.

Dante Fowler signs with... the Rams again.

Whew, safe again!

I guess they're okay with his one good play a game that goes with his one unsportsmanlike conduct penalty a game.

Uh, Raiders trade G Osemele to the Jets for pretty much nothing. Perhaps it's the injury aspect or that he doesn't fit in with their scheme, but OL trades don't make much sense to me because of the dearth of OL talent out there.

I still can't believe the Pats ended up with Michael Bennett. The guy is still effective and in the twilight of his career. Of course he goes to New England.

Maybe they are banking on the bearded Mormon keeping him in line.

garion333 wrote:

Uh, Raiders trade G Osemele to the Jets for pretty much nothing. Perhaps it's the injury aspect or that he doesn't fit in with their scheme, but OL trades don't make much sense to me because of the dearth of OL talent out there.

I still can't believe the Pats ended up with Michael Bennett. The guy is still effective and in the twilight of his career. Of course he goes to New England.

NE have a knack of getting players like this to tool up for another run. The magic is still there!

Osmele was so bad last year, but his body of work prior makes me inclined to blame the injuries he played through. But of course, Gruden has no patience, so off he goes.

I agree on the Pats and Bennett. Basically swapped Flowers for an older but cheaper stopgap option that should still have a couple good years left.

And the Eagles are reportedly going to be replacing Bennett with Malik Jackson, fresh from his release from the Jags.

Niners sign Kwon Alexander and, uh... couldn't we have had Mosley instead?

That's some awfully big money projecting a guy to play better than he has yet.

Speaking of stupid money though, the Raiders just dropped a ton on Trent Brown, and apparently intend to line him up at left tackle, moving the #15 overall pick from last year, Kolton Miller, to right tackle.

Remember when I said I wouldn't balk at $15 million a year for Justin Houston?

Dante Fowler's 1-year deal is for $14 million.

I don't know what Houston will end up getting, and maybe it won't be that much just because of the age concerns, but yeah I'd gamble that money on an early-30s Justin Houston over Fowler, no question.

That last sentence.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/LtZUsME.png)

*Legion* wrote:

And the Eagles are reportedly going to be replacing Bennett with Malik Jackson, fresh from his release from the Jags.

Aw man, I liked Bennett. Would have liked to keep him around.

Looks like Eagles have Peters for another year as well. Also trending on my timeline, evidently DeSean Jackson has been let go from Tampa Bay and wants to join the Eagles.

BREAKING: Odell Beckham Jr has been traded to the New York Giants.

No word on whether he’ll report?

Safety Collins just went to the redskins for 6 years, 84 mil. Collins was ok but that is just a ridiculous contract.

Tempest wrote:

BREAKING: Odell Beckham Jr has been traded to the New York Giants.

Have a Like

whispa wrote:

Safety Collins just went to the redskins for 6 years, 84 mil. Collins was ok but that is just a ridiculous contract.

Talk about overpaying. I was annoyed that Gettleman let him go but if I am going to be honest with myself, he has been mediocre at best in a league where his style of safety is not much needed.

Totally agree. Sure it leaves a hole but I feel better knowing they didn’t pay him that money.

I have important offseason news:

Former Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles kicker Luis Zendejas now follows me on Instagram for some reason.

This concludes my important offseason news.

Thus ends the BORTLESMANIA era.

All I can say is: thank God it wasn't Flacco or Eli.

*Legion* wrote:

Thus ends the BORTLESMANIA era.

All I can say is: thank God it wasn't Flacco or Eli.

I hope this comment ages poorly. It'll be glorious down the road!