Atlas: Pirate Survival MMO Catch-all

ranalin wrote:
fangblackbone wrote:

Lol, a pirate game with dragons, gliders and elementals.

Yep, but no steampunk, tanks or planes.

Yet

So I had to create a new character on the private server, but my mini base is still around on the north freeeport island. My new character is named the same but (probably obviously) does not own anything in the base.

As an aside, I am wondering how everybody got off freeport? A raft or did you build a shipyard and a sloop or dinghy? I am asking because I am starting to think that either my shipyard(s) are bugged, or maybe making ships/claims on the freeport islands is bugged. I made a tiny shipyard beside my small shipyard and crafted a dinghy but it was also bugged and did not work. I could sit at a seat but nothing else happened. I wanted to try making a raft at my tiny shipyard to see if it works, and if it doesn't then see if a raft built at the freeport dock would then work. Of course, now I can't try that

I did learn that my base is not publicly accessible like I thought it would be. It looks like the smithy and loom can be used but not the shipyards.

Senkrad wrote:

So I had to create a new character on the private server, but my mini base is still around on the north freeeport island. My new character is named the same but (probably obviously) does not own anything in the base.

As an aside, I am wondering how everybody got off freeport? A raft or did you build a shipyard and a sloop or dinghy? I am asking because I am starting to think that either my shipyard(s) are bugged, or maybe making ships/claims on the freeport islands is bugged. I made a tiny shipyard beside my small shipyard and crafted a dinghy but it was also bugged and did not work. I could sit at a seat but nothing else happened. I wanted to try making a raft at my tiny shipyard to see if it works, and if it doesn't then see if a raft built at the freeport dock would then work. Of course, now I can't try that

I did learn that my base is not publicly accessible like I thought it would be. It looks like the smithy and loom can be used but not the shipyards.

We built rafts and moved out to explore. The new sloops didn't exist then.

We had an incident today with the server. The provider tried to fix an issue with our maps and essentially broke all, but the freeport server. I'm trying to work with them to get things fixed, but don't have an ETA currently.

Edit: Syd stole your chicken

lol, I am surprised the chicken is still alive! I tamed it on one island when I first unlocked taming to try it out and didn't realize/care it wouldn't travel with me when I transported back to the north island

Will we get back our original characters or should we just continue with the new ones? It doesn't matter to me too much as I was only 13 or something, but then someone should destroy my shipyards and maybe even the claim on the North island as it seems to be bugged and not much use to others anyway.

Senkrad wrote:

lol, I am surprised the chicken is still alive! I tamed it on one island when I first unlocked taming to try it out and didn't realize/care it wouldn't travel with me when I transported back to the north island

Will we get back our original characters or should we just continue with the new ones? It doesn't matter to me too much as I was only 13 or something, but then someone should destroy my shipyards and maybe even the claim on the North island as it seems to be bugged and not much use to others anyway.

Honestly not sure at this point. I just now got a response saying they're looking into the issue. Personally i'd hold off doing any major construction because we may end up with a complete wipe of everything to fix the problems.

Maybe a server wipe would be a good thing.

ranalin wrote:

Edit: Syd stole your chicken

In my defense the chicken was just sitting on the dock half starved! I fed him and he decided to join me on the sloop that I took north. Unfortunately, I believe the chicken is now shark food as I crashed as soon as I tried to zone and the ship appeared to not exist anymore. RIP little chicken and thank you for your lifesaving eggs.

So I am starting to think that my issues with sailing are related to the fact I re-mapped my keys (I don't use WASD). The ramshackle sloop I made at the freeport dock had the same issue (just going straight, rudder not turning at all). The reason I think it is the re-mapping is that when I tested the dinghy I made before the server troubles, it didn't work correctly, but there was one key, either A or D, that did turn in the direction it would have been under WASD but not the directions as I had remapped them. I am going to have to try to reset my key mappings and test that theory.

Senkrad wrote:

So I am starting to think that my issues with sailing are related to the fact I re-mapped my keys (I don't use WASD). The ramshackle sloop I made at the freeport dock had the same issue (just going straight, rudder not turning at all). The reason I think it is the re-mapping is that when I tested the dinghy I made before the server troubles, it didn't work correctly, but there was one key, either A or D, that did turn in the direction it would have been under WASD but not the directions as I had remapped them. I am going to have to try to reset my key mappings and test that theory.

If you look at the 2nd page of keybinds you can see ship specific ones.

Problem is that if you rebind them like you do for your primary controls you replace the primary ones. For some reason they don't map over like they are at the start.

Okay, I will take a deeper look next time I log in

ranalin wrote:
Senkrad wrote:

So I am starting to think that my issues with sailing are related to the fact I re-mapped my keys (I don't use WASD). The ramshackle sloop I made at the freeport dock had the same issue (just going straight, rudder not turning at all). The reason I think it is the re-mapping is that when I tested the dinghy I made before the server troubles, it didn't work correctly, but there was one key, either A or D, that did turn in the direction it would have been under WASD but not the directions as I had remapped them. I am going to have to try to reset my key mappings and test that theory.

If you look at the 2nd page of keybinds you can see ship specific ones.

Problem is that if you rebind them like you do for your primary controls you replace the primary ones. For some reason they don't map over like they are at the start.

By re-binding those keys on the second page you mentioned I was able to actually sail. Thanks ranalin!

I am guessing there was a wipe on the server, as I had to make a new character and this time all the previous stuff was gone? Doesn't matter, I am finally off Freeport

Senkrad wrote:
ranalin wrote:
Senkrad wrote:

So I am starting to think that my issues with sailing are related to the fact I re-mapped my keys (I don't use WASD). The ramshackle sloop I made at the freeport dock had the same issue (just going straight, rudder not turning at all). The reason I think it is the re-mapping is that when I tested the dinghy I made before the server troubles, it didn't work correctly, but there was one key, either A or D, that did turn in the direction it would have been under WASD but not the directions as I had remapped them. I am going to have to try to reset my key mappings and test that theory.

If you look at the 2nd page of keybinds you can see ship specific ones.

Problem is that if you rebind them like you do for your primary controls you replace the primary ones. For some reason they don't map over like they are at the start.

By re-binding those keys on the second page you mentioned I was able to actually sail. Thanks ranalin!

I am guessing there was a wipe on the server, as I had to make a new character and this time all the previous stuff was gone? Doesn't matter, I am finally off Freeport :-)

Yes their was issues adding the 10th zone and wipe was needed. We all just got restarted yesterday.

So just for reference the map shows 4x4 area. Really it is A1-A3 B1-B3 C1 - C3 and D1 (high end late game area).

D2/3 and All 4 zones are not actually there.

I grabbed the game and hopped on the server for a little over an hour last night to mess around. For those that haven't played it, the earlier descriptor of "Ark with Pirates" is VERY accurate. The game is so similar in feel that it seems more like a mod than an entirely different game. I don't think it's a bad thing, just surprised me.

Were you on the PvE server or the private server?

I logged in Sunday night and my character was stuck in my ship. I just kept drifting back and forth in the belly, with the tide I am assuming. I couldn't move or jump, and it seemed like the I don't own my ship any more. Even when I drifted close enough to the wheel I couldn't activate it, which is a trick I use to get back on the deck, the only option was demolish. The ship's name was red, but the owner's name still said me and I was definitely the same character as I logged out as, because I still had all my tools, etc. I didn't try killing myself or anything, because the bed on the ship and the bed I set up on the shore did not show on my map, further making me think that I didn't "own" them any more.

I think I might have to give this a while to bake some more. I have been having fun but it is frustrating to have to restart so many times.

Senkrad wrote:

I logged in Sunday night and my character was stuck in my ship. I just kept drifting back and forth in the belly, with the tide I am assuming. I couldn't move or jump, and it seemed like the I don't own my ship any more. Even when I drifted close enough to the wheel I couldn't activate it, which is a trick I use to get back on the deck, the only option was demolish. The ship's name was red, but the owner's name still said me and I was definitely the same character as I logged out as, because I still had all my tools, etc. I didn't try killing myself or anything, because the bed on the ship and the bed I set up on the shore did not show on my map, further making me think that I didn't "own" them any more.

I think I might have to give this a while to bake some more. I have been having fun but it is frustrating to have to restart so many times.

Shoot, that might have been my fault on the ship Senkrad. I think I found your ship (it was a Sloop at least) and thought it was one of our old ones from the initial wipe but when we were still having issues. It didn't have a name or show any owner and it allowed me to claim it. I'm not sure though that I was able to actually use it.

The best thing would be to log in and get a clan invite and then you will have access to all the beds and locations we've discovered. To replace a sloop and tools will take you all of about 10-15 minutes at one of our bases.

Sydhart wrote:

Shoot, that might have been my fault on the ship Senkrad. I think I found your ship (it was a Sloop at least) and thought it was one of our old ones from the initial wipe but when we were still having issues. It didn't have a name or show any owner and it allowed me to claim it. I'm not sure though that I was able to actually use it.

The best thing would be to log in and get a clan invite and then you will have access to all the beds and locations we've discovered. To replace a sloop and tools will take you all of about 10-15 minutes at one of our bases.

No worries if it was just the ship, it was just a ramshackle sloop. I am at the southern-most island of B3. I was actually more frustrated by the fact I couldn't get out of it. It was like I was "stuck in the wall". Maybe I will try again. I was sure my bed that I had put on the island also didn't show up on the map, so I didn't want to try killing myself, but maybe I just had labels off or something. Would love to get a clan invite, do I need to meet someone face to face, or just be logged in at the same time?

You need to meet someone face to face, however it's pretty easy for us to meet at the start island. Anyone marked as Admin ( I think everyone) can just die and port to same starter island you are at and add you. Then go punch a bear/pig die and port back to whatever we were doing. Mostly (unless we are on work calls) are on the GWJ discord server in the Atlas Channel

Probably the ship issue is due to the PvE 'anti-griefing' tactic that doesn't let you actually land on a non-allied/company ship. Introduced to stop players in Official PvE sinking other people's ships by making them overweight - the Devs answer was to make it so you just can't stand on an 'enemy' ship. Trouble is, now if you even try to stand on one, like, say, a raft, while trying to kite a Croc or other predator, you can *never* get back off. So you have to wait until you die to spawn off the ship.