The Next Dragon Age Game

DA2 was my favorite, so i am glad.

Definitely a "wait and see" for me. I enjoyed the DA series a lot, but I'm still hesitant about the next one.

I'll buy any DA game for the world alone.
But I sure hope it will be back to its roots (I thought DA2 was fairly good, just with a bad ending).

UpToIsomorphism wrote:

as service game.

Hopefully not multiplayer only, but GaaS is guaranteed from Bioware these days I assume.

It seems so far out that I am not going to sweat it to much. Perhaps it is old age but I can't sustain hype for two or three years.

After seeing this I decided on a lark to fire up DA:Origins and take it for a spin.

Holy crap it's just as good as I remember. The game has really aged well for me. The graphics still hold up, the music and sounds are timeless, and I've forgotten just enough of the beginning of the story that it seems fresh for the more minor story beats.

Jesus I'm going to take this for a spin again aren't I?

Budo wrote:

After seeing this I decided on a lark to fire up DA:Origins and take it for a spin.

Holy crap it's just as good as I remember. The game has really aged well for me. The graphics still hold up, the music and sounds are timeless, and I've forgotten just enough of the beginning of the story that it seems fresh for the more minor story beats.

Jesus I'm going to take this for a spin again aren't I?

If you get on to NexusMods there is a texture upgrade process that makes a reasonable improvement to game.

This video takes you through the whole process (assuming you can be bothered, and you don’t to do all of it) I did it for the cRPG club playthrough last year, and although convoluted it was worth it. You can make Sven actually look like a Qunari as well as other characters look like they should, and it helps a lot if you’ve played the other DA games.

BioWare will be releasing more details about Dragon Age 4 at the Game Awards later this month.

Not much word on what though.

Hey, Darrah and Hudson left, the last ME game is a steaming pile of crap, Anthem is a burning pile of crap, and Cullen’s voice actor is a q-anon troll. Let’s see what’s up at The Game Awards.

I have zero confidence this game will be any good, minimal confidence that this trailer represents anything close to what I would consider a playable game, and am irrationally excited anyway.

UpToIsomorphism wrote:

I have zero confidence this game will be any good, minimal confidence that this trailer represents anything close to what I would consider a playable game, and am irrationally excited anyway.

But hey - Tevinter!

Yeah, I dunno, those two high level departures from Bioware are concerning, but also, I don't know how we can have confidence they were responsible for the good things about Bioware more than they were the bad things about Bioware. I agree with not having confidence in anything this studio is up to...but I'm also extremely curious.

I started up Dragon Age Inquisition when EA Play came to Game Pass and played the first hour or two of it, and man, I really loved that game despite its flaws. Even so early on, the way it brought in a few old Dragon Age characters, introduced new ones, set up the world...exactly what I wanted. If only they'd trimmed some of the MMOyness of it and made it apparent sooner to get out of the Hinterlands. Still, it was an experience I really loved. I never played any of the DLC...is it included with the EA Play stuff or is it still a separate purchase? I played the game on PC and so don't have access to my original character playing on Xbox, but when EA Play comes to PC Game Pass (actually I think that's today? or yesterday?) if the DLCs are available and I can still access my PC savegame I may give it a try...

mrlogical wrote:

Yeah, I dunno, those two high level departures from Bioware are concerning, but also, I don't know how we can have confidence they were responsible for the good things about Bioware more than they were the bad things about Bioware. I agree with not having confidence in anything this studio is up to...but I'm also extremely curious.

I started up Dragon Age Inquisition when EA Play came to Game Pass and played the first hour or two of it, and man, I really loved that game despite its flaws. Even so early on, the way it brought in a few old Dragon Age characters, introduced new ones, set up the world...exactly what I wanted. If only they'd trimmed some of the MMOyness of it and made it apparent sooner to get out of the Hinterlands. Still, it was an experience I really loved. I never played any of the DLC...is it included with the EA Play stuff or is it still a separate purchase? I played the game on PC and so don't have access to my original character playing on Xbox, but when EA Play comes to PC Game Pass (actually I think that's today? or yesterday?) if the DLCs are available and I can still access my PC savegame I may give it a try...

I have to say that from that trailer, playing the Tresspassers DLC for Inquisition is going to be a very good move for anyone wanting to play DA4.

I will finish DA:I and the DLC in 2021. I promise.

And if you're looking to prioritize your time/money, Trespasser is the one DLC I'd consider must-play. The others are also very good, but if you want to pick just one, Trespasser is it.

I started, and now have delayed, a whole new playthrough so time isn't the big factor. I do wish the combat was better. It's the least interesting of all three games.

I disliked the combat so much I didn't even play the game. I maybe should give it another go one Easy or something.

You know, when I'm done playing Fallout 4 and Cyberpunk.

So, 2023?

garion333 wrote:

I disliked the combat so much I didn't even play the game. I maybe should give it another go one Easy or something.

It's just not good. Doesn't have the tactics or impactful combo system that DA:O and DA2 had. You skill options aren't that interesting and are limited compared to the previous two games as well. Even playing on a harder difficulty with some modifiers couldn't keep combat free during this playthrough. I'm tempted to turn it down to easy just to experience the story.

The lack of deep programmatic tactics in Inquisition was my biggest disappointment. I mean yeah you can tell them to drink a potion when they need it, but it doesn't get much more complicated than that. I played through on Hard, and there were combo attacks, and the changes meant you didn't always necessarily need a dedicated healer in your party, but it was still bland in comparison to Origins and 2.

Bets on whether Varric will be in the party or an important NPC? And if he isn't playable, can I have Bianca?

They’re taking out the multiplayer - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...

From that article.

The diverging trajectories of two recent games changed the minds of Wilson and other executives at EA, according to the people. One was Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, a single-player game released in November 2019 that won critical acclaim and outperformed EA’s sales expectations, reaching more than 10 million players in its first four months. The second was BioWare’s Anthem, a multiplayer game that was widely panned when it launched. The games showed that single-player games could still be lucrative and that BioWare, traditionally known for its single-player, role-playing games, might be better off returning to its roots.

Which is exactly why Anthem was a joke to many. As a coop game it was cool, as a mp-focused live service game? Awful.

Glad they saw the light.

farley3k wrote:

From that article.

The diverging trajectories of two recent games changed the minds of Wilson and other executives at EA, according to the people. One was Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, a single-player game released in November 2019 that won critical acclaim and outperformed EA’s sales expectations, reaching more than 10 million players in its first four months. The second was BioWare’s Anthem, a multiplayer game that was widely panned when it launched. The games showed that single-player games could still be lucrative and that BioWare, traditionally known for its single-player, role-playing games, might be better off returning to its roots.

No sh*t, Sherlock. How do these people still have jobs?

“If only we had listened to everyone/anyone the past decade we might of had this realization that we should let the studio that is known for amazing single player rpgs, make single player rpgs.”

Thanks for your sacrifice Anthem.
That said, Mass Effect Next should have multiplayer. At least that actually made sense, and was good.

IUMogg wrote:

“If only we had listened to everyone/anyone the past decade we might of had this realization that we should let the studio that is known for amazing single player rpgs, make single player rpgs.”

Yeah, but have you see how much money Battle Royales make?! Just make Dragon Age like those games.

IUMogg wrote:
farley3k wrote:

From that article.

The diverging trajectories of two recent games changed the minds of Wilson and other executives at EA, according to the people. One was Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, a single-player game released in November 2019 that won critical acclaim and outperformed EA’s sales expectations, reaching more than 10 million players in its first four months. The second was BioWare’s Anthem, a multiplayer game that was widely panned when it launched. The games showed that single-player games could still be lucrative and that BioWare, traditionally known for its single-player, role-playing games, might be better off returning to its roots.

No sh*t, Sherlock. How do these people still have jobs?

“If only we had listened to everyone/anyone the past decade we might of had this realization that we should let the studio that is known for amazing single player rpgs, make single player rpgs.”

Reminds me of the TV execs, I think it was NBC, but could have been any of the main 5 prime time networks.

They did a study and found that people wouldn't start watching series on their web site or app if they couldn't watch the whole season. No one wants to see just the last 5 episodes, like all of them were doing for years.

Duh. You need a study for that? Have you ever watched a TV show?

Like did anyone in charge at EA ever play KOTOR or Mass Effect 1 before they bought Bioware?

I don’t understand why game publishers don’t go to the Hollywood model of creating Best Picture dramas along with Michael Bay blockbusters. In this case, BioWare single player games would be the Oscar bait.

Optimism rising.

Shadout wrote:

Thanks for your sacrifice Anthem.
That said, Mass Effect Next should have multiplayer. At least that actually made sense, and was good.

As someone who loved ME3 multiplayer (Andromeda MP was too chaotic) I disagree. I think they should do separate games.

IUMogg wrote:

No sh*t, Sherlock. How do these people still have jobs?

“If only we had listened to everyone/anyone the past decade we might of had this realization that we should let the studio that is known for amazing single player rpgs, make single player rpgs.”

Probably the most glaring part of this short-sighted attitude is the multiple reports that Inquisition was the best selling BioWare game to date. Even as a cold-hearted business executive, you would think the takeaway from that is "Let's make Dragon Age IV a priority and strike while the iron is hot", not "Put the franchise that's actually working on hold so those devs can help ship an unproven game that's not coming together."

Probably the most glaring part of this short-sighted attitude is the multiple reports that Inquisition was the best selling BioWare game to date

Best Selling doesn't mean most profitable.