Playstation 4 Catch-All

I get games that won't update even though I'm always in rest and have PS+. Not even sure PS+ is a requirement anymore like it was on PS3.

Every time I put Rock Band 4 disc in there's a patch I'm missing. Yet Rocket League always stays up to date. Maybe it's just disc games? But still should work and I think did at one point.

Yeah I just got Dragon Ball Fighters Z and it got stuck on copying at 31%. Turned out Destiny 2 had a update downloading and I guess the PS4 can't copy the update for one game while downloading the update for another game.

From my understanding, the issue is not with the hardware and more that PSN is pretty garbage and slow. Obviously it can vary depending on your ISP.

Do you all have the "update games in rest mode" or whatever it's called turned on?

I do, but the system seems inconsistent with that. It seems to primarily patch games you've played recently, though what "recently" means varies. For example, Spider-Man and Shadow of the Tomb Raider have downloaded updates constantly the past few months, but Destiny is a 50/50 on whether it'll actually download an update or not.

I went to the Sony PS store yesterday, and got a banner for Subnautica. Clicking on it went to a 404/page not found page on the store. Some sources are saying release is Dec 4th, but its not in the the "coming soon" store page. But their store is relatively garbage at searching, so who knows?...

Is that Destiny figure for the same day the updates roll out, Tuesday? I'm not sure automatic updates are checked and performed before late at night.

Playing both COD: BO4 (mostly Blackout) and BF5 on the PS4 but the GWJ community seems to be pretty small in both. Any other recommendations for a place to find a reasonable community to join up with on these games?

Thinking of the Playstation Store being garbage: can anyone explain to me why filters on price base results on the full price and not the current price? It's super annoying that I can't check to see which games will cost between $10-$20 right now. Their full price is irrelevant.

They are trying to tell you not to trust them with your credit card number.

ccesarano wrote:

I don't know why anything needs to be "copied", but it takes eight million years.

If you're talking about installing a game from disc, that's done because Blu-ray disc read times are significantly slower than read times from the hard drive. In some cases, it wouldn't be possible to stream assets in from the Blu-ray fast enough for games to be playable without more and longer loading screens. It's definitely a bummer, though, when you get a new game and have to wait awhile to actually play it. It makes me nostalgic for the days of getting home from the store, popping a new cart in my console, and away we went.

Chumpy_McChump wrote:

Thinking of the Playstation Store being garbage: can anyone explain to me why filters on price base results on the full price and not the current price? It's super annoying that I can't check to see which games will cost between $10-$20 right now. Their full price is irrelevant.

That is so annoying. I buy PSN credit rather than purchasing through the store, and I'll often end up with $10 or $15 that I'm looking to spend. Trying to sort through deals to see what's actually available for that price or less is a pain because of the weird sorting issue you described. I have no idea why it doesn't support by current price instead of list price.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

If you're talking about installing a game from disc, that's done because Blu-ray disc read times are significantly slower than read times from the hard drive. In some cases, it wouldn't be possible to stream assets in from the Blu-ray fast enough for games to be playable without more and longer loading screens. It's definitely a bummer, though, when you get a new game and have to wait awhile to actually play it. It makes me nostalgic for the days of getting home from the store, popping a new cart in my console, and away we went.

Oh I know all about that stuff. It's why I made sure to put the disc in the system to install while I did laundry. This was the day one patch and the latest Destiny patch at the same time. They download, and then they have to copy everything and it takes forever. Switch doesn't have this problem, and Xbox 360 didn't have it. It's exclusive to Sony systems.

I wouldn't say that. Have you ever tried to install anything on an Xbox One? Lordy, it makes PS4 installs look like lightning.

But I notice that the common factor in everyone's story about copying issues on this page is Destiny. Maybe y'all should play better games.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

I wouldn't say that. Have you ever tried to install anything on an Xbox One? Lordy, it makes PS4 installs look like lightning.

But I notice that the common factor in everyone's story about copying issues on this page is Destiny. Maybe y'all should play better games. ;)

Eh, they are both pretty bad. But at least, for me, XB1 handles keeping everything updated better.
I have the same issues cc mentioned for PS4. I was so mad it took over 6 hours to get to play Spiderman the day I got my PS4.

Believe me, it happens with more games than just Destiny.

A fairly annoying thing regarding PS4 store. Being able to make and actually view a games wishlist anywhere... except that is for on the console itself. Why?

All I can think off top of my head is cynical self pondering... to encourage console browsing and impulse purchases rather than making it nice and clear to users when games they are actually keen to buy go on sale... ?

Seems unlikely, but then... why, why?

ccesarano wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:

If you're talking about installing a game from disc, that's done because Blu-ray disc read times are significantly slower than read times from the hard drive. In some cases, it wouldn't be possible to stream assets in from the Blu-ray fast enough for games to be playable without more and longer loading screens. It's definitely a bummer, though, when you get a new game and have to wait awhile to actually play it. It makes me nostalgic for the days of getting home from the store, popping a new cart in my console, and away we went.

Oh I know all about that stuff. It's why I made sure to put the disc in the system to install while I did laundry. This was the day one patch and the latest Destiny patch at the same time. They download, and then they have to copy everything and it takes forever. Switch doesn't have this problem, and Xbox 360 didn't have it. It's exclusive to Sony systems.

This is where having kids comes in handy. After feeding, bathing, reading books, singing songs and putting to bed I'm ready to rock!

Also, PS+ December games have been announced:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018...

SOMA, PS4
Onrush, PS4
Steredenn, PS3
Steinsgate, PS3
Iconoclasts, PS Vita (Cross Buy with PS4)
Papers, Please, PS Vita

Bubblefuzz wrote:

A fairly annoying thing regarding PS4 store. Being able to make and actually view a games wishlist anywhere... except that is for on the console itself. Why?

All I can think off top of my head is cynical self pondering... to encourage console browsing and impulse purchases rather than making it nice and clear to users when games they are actually keen to buy go on sale... ?

Seems unlikely, but then... why, why?

There's a wishlist on the store on pc. Are you talking about a specific feature?

lunchbox12682 wrote:
Bubblefuzz wrote:

A fairly annoying thing regarding PS4 store. Being able to make and actually view a games wishlist anywhere... except that is for on the console itself. Why?

There's a wishlist on the store on pc. Are you talking about a specific feature?

Yeah on computer there's a PSN store wishlist, there's one on the mobile app too, everywhere but on the console itself.

On the PS4 version of store you can't add items to your wishlist, view your wishlist or see if a game is on your wishlist. Not a sniff of a list of wishes on the console store that I can track down anyhow.

Bubblefuzz wrote:
lunchbox12682 wrote:
Bubblefuzz wrote:

A fairly annoying thing regarding PS4 store. Being able to make and actually view a games wishlist anywhere... except that is for on the console itself. Why?

There's a wishlist on the store on pc. Are you talking about a specific feature?

Yeah on computer there's a PSN store wishlist, there's one on the mobile app too, everywhere but on the console itself.

On the PS4 version of store you can't add items to your wishlist, view your wishlist or see if a game is on your wishlist. Not a sniff of a list of wishes on the console store that I can track down anyhow.

Oops, misread.
Yeah that's annoying.

on PS store, I usually buy things off the computer at work, tell the console to download them from there and usually by the time I get home its ready to go.

Fastmav347 wrote:

on PS store, I usually buy things off the computer at work, tell the console to download them from there and usually by the time I get home its ready to go.

Yes this is the best way. Do this on Switch too.

So I pulled the trigger this week and bought a PS4 pro. We are holding it in reserve for Christmas and I bought the kiddo Spider-Man while I got Red Dead. Just curious - how long does it take to set up? I’m thinking about setting it up on Christmas eve to avoid the Christmas Day patch rush. Last year our Switch was a brick because Nintendo’s system crashed.

Setup of the console itself should be quick and easy, but I'd plan on a few hours to install and patch your games.

Yeah, give yourself as much time as possible to get installs and patches sorted out. It'll kill the Christmas buzz pretty quickly if you pop in a disc then have to wait an hour for everything to copy over.

I just setup a new PS4 last night and yes plan for a lot of time. I started the updates for the games I had and it let it run all night.

So plug it all in after the kids go to bed and install OS updates, then you can install the game, and then install the next one. Then go into the options for each of them (triangle I believe) and look for updates. Add the update to your queue and then put the PS4 in rest mode.

Hopefully it should be done with the updates by morning.

* and to be fair you can play Spider-man for sure without doing the updates (not sure about RDR2). It will say you can't use the online features but for Christmas morning play that shouldn't matter.

I would start a day before Christmas eve, just to be safe.

I would start tonight, just to be safe.

Seriously, if you can do it stealthily enough, may as well get it all set up as early as possible. There may be updates between then and now, but they'll likely be small. Do it now. One less thing to worry about when the Christmas crazy sets in.

One useful note: if it's not a multi-player game, if you boot it up and it says you need to update the game, you can hit the Circle button and play it without downloading the patch. You won't be able to use any network features, but 99% of the time the single-player part will work just fine.

Thanks guys. I won’t be able to set it up before Christmas Eve but I can stay up a little late that night to begin updating.

My PS4's UI has been extremely sluggish lately, and apps like Netflix have been taking an abnormally long time to start up.

Booted into safe mode, and told it to rebuild the database, and everything's performing much better now. It warned that it could take hours to do, but it only took a few minutes (under 10, I believe). The only thing that was "lost" was the list of recent games in the main menu, but all the apps and saves are still present. Worth doing if you feel like your PS4 is sluggish to navigate.