Paul Allen has died

Paul Allen, Microsoft’s Co-Founder, Is Dead at 65 https://nyti.ms/2AbVQOP

Sad to hear, I had no idea he was sick. He definitely made an impact on Seattle.

Shifter wrote:

Sad to hear, I had no idea he was sick. He definitely made an impact on Seattle.

You're not wrong, but per the opinion of many a Seattlite, not an altogether good impact.

Jonman wrote:
Shifter wrote:

Sad to hear, I had no idea he was sick. He definitely made an impact on Seattle.

You're not wrong, but per the opinion of many a Seattlite, not an altogether good impact.

In my view he did a lot more good for Seattle and the world than bad, at least after he left Microsoft. (How Microsoft was definitely the evil empire in the 80s is a fair black mark on his legacy.)

He funded a lot of important scientific and historical research, helped a lot of low income students afford to go to college, built a pretty awesome pop culture museum, and bankrolled a Super Bowl winning team. He was a geek’s geek and far more of a philanthropist than say Jeff Bezos who I will fully agree is a rich PoS.

The folks over at Ars Technica seem pretty upset about it. Most seem to have very positive things to say about his impact on Seattle, drawing particularly strong comparisons with how bad Amazon and its employees have been for the area.

It sounds like, for the most part, he was the good guy of the partnership. Gates was the asshole.

Malor wrote:

The folks over at Ars Technica seem pretty upset about it. Most seem to have very positive things to say about his impact on Seattle, drawing particularly strong comparisons with how bad Amazon and its employees have been for the area.

Here's some analysis from Seattle's alt-weekly. Seems fairly balanced to me. jdzappa captures a lot of the good he did, but the article I link notes the enormous impact Allen had on city planning decisions which have seriously impacted the cost-of-living here, which vastly and disproportionately affects the poorer segments of society.