Star Wars: The Mandalorian

It was James Purefoy under the mask in V for Vendetta. Weaving just ADRed.

He only wears the mask in Mad Max for like 20 minutes.

detroit20 wrote:

I haven't seen "Kingdom of Heaven", but I have seen the other two and I must respectfully disagree. I thought Weaving's mask was one of the weakest elements in 'V for Vendetta'. What works well in written, graphic novel form works not at all on film.

As for Tom Hardy, any acting his Bane was doing was concealed by the mask and the fact that his voice was subject to some audio processing (Sean Connery speaking through the a turbocharge blow-off valve?).

DudleySmith wrote:

It was James Purefoy under the mask in V for Vendetta. Weaving just ADRed.

I'm no thespian, so I will readily admit my opinions may be simplistic. Weaving's performance stands out for me because of the alliterative dialogue and its delivery.

Similarly with Hardy's performance, while the audio processing is adding the mask distortion, I don't think it's altering his delivery of the lines akin to autotune.

Anyways, the basis of the story was that Pedro Pascal wanted more scenes with the mask off. It also described him as a "difficult" actor. The implication is usually that there's some ego involved. I looked into the replacement of Purefoy with Weaving in "V", and similar rumors surrounded that. I thought I'd give a few (IMO) memorable performances as counter-examples to the idea that the actor needs to be seen. There's no denying that human beings communicate a lot through faces, but they can communicate a lot without them. The following that season 1 of the show has garnered would seem to support that as well. I suppose Pascal's issue might be that the fan base isn't associating the performance with the actor, which brings me to...

Middcore wrote:

I will say I've always thought it was potentially problematic from Disney's perspective in having a recognizable star to promote their show, and from Pascal's perspective in advancing his career, to have a protagonist who never shows his face.

That's an interesting take. I was going to bring up Stallone's Judge Dredd movie as an example of a visible face not aiding a performance. I thought it was Stallone that wanted his face shown, but after digging, I kept coming across references that it was actually the studio:

It was widely believed that the studio, the Disney-owned Hollywood Pictures, didn't want to pay star Sylvester Stallone millions of dollars for a role that obscured his face from the audience.

I wonder if that's the source of the rumor that Pascal try going behind the production team to Lucasfilm.

One last thing I found when researching the rumor (there's a bunch of work I need to do, but I'm procrastinating). I looked at some of the items cited to support it, and it seems like there's some confirmation bias going on. In the same EW article, this quote seems to contradict the idea that Pedro Pascal was uncomfortable in the costume:

While former MMA fighter Carano, 38 — who made her dramatic TV debut with this role — says she’s more confident this time around, explaining she was helped by Pascal agreeing to remove Mando’s helmet during their scenes whenever the camera was only on her.
While former MMA fighter Carano, 38 — who made her dramatic TV debut with this role

Debut? Only if you ignore Almost Human.

These days i always assume "difficult" in hollywood tends to be euphemism for "someone had some reasonable workplace complaints but they were expendable so we made them sound really unreasonable, fired them and blacklisted them from future work because that worked out cheaper for us in the long run".

Usually paired with the "difficult" person being non-white/non-male/non-cis, etc.

Also, in regards to the Tom Hardy mask thing, because this has been bugging me for three days: The idea that acting consists inherently and entirely of facial expressions, and that if your face is covered you are not acting, is a hell of a take.

I really appreciate that the body actors and (much more famous) voice actors get similar billing in Doom Patrol

Tanglebones wrote:

I really appreciate that the body actors and (much more famous) voice actors get similar billing in Doom Patrol

Jumping off of that and because your Hellboy avatar reminded me of it, David Hyde Pierce refused to be credited as the overdubbed voice of Abe Sapien in the 2004 Hellboy movie because he felt it was Doug Jones' performance as Abe's "body" that made the character.

pyxistyx wrote:

These days i always assume "difficult" in hollywood tends to be euphemism for "someone had some reasonable workplace complaints but they were expendable so we made them sound really unreasonable, fired them and blacklisted them from future work because that worked out cheaper for us in the long run".

Usually paired with the "difficult" person being non-white/non-male/non-cis, etc.

Having worked a little with (mostly voice) actors in a non-Hollywood setting, I think there's a lot of overlap on the Venn diagram between actors, people with emotional problems, and people with substance abuse problems. The most difficult actor I ever worked with was a self-identified alcoholic and sex addict. Another problem child had textbook narcissism. Both of them were about as straight white male as you can get, and both of them eventually made themselves basically unhireable for major roles despite being phenomenally talented and popular with audiences in their little niche, because people with the authority to make casting decisions talk to each other.

That's all just one person's perspective, and as I say this was a different industry with a different culture than Hollywood. I tend to reserve judgment when I hear stories of a creative person being "difficult," because there is always much more that we don't see than what we do. Imposing a narrative on them says more about ourselves than about the people involved.

Middcore wrote:

Also, in regards to the Tom Hardy mask thing, because this has been bugging me for three days: The idea that acting consists inherently and entirely of facial expressions, and that if your face is covered you are not acting, is a hell of a take.

Of course it isn't, but you do lose a lot of audience connection when you can't see the a character's face. There's a reason characters like that tend to be supporting rather than main characters. And even in the Tom Hardy cases, you can still see his eyes, which communicate a lot.

The thing about body actors, especially Doug Jones, is they train for it specifically. And the thing about the masked performances cited it that they were all movies, much much shorter time commitments in every sense than a tv show. I don't see much reason to second guess Pascal feeling unsatisfied and uncomfortable and frustrated standing around in bulky armor with a bell on his head and an uncertain end in sight.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/4tuHNMA.jpeg)

Honest Trailers | The Mandalorian

Must have missed this thread. Wife and I finally binged it all in July while we had a month of D+ for Hamilton. Probably will do the same after this season is all finished.

With 2 daughters I might be stuck subscribing to D+ all the time in a few years but I'm holding out as long as I can.

Stele wrote:

Must have missed this thread. Wife and I finally binged it all in July while we had a month of D+ for Hamilton.

Similar story here.

With Season 2 on the horizon, how nice is it to be looking forward to new Star Wars with an optimism that doesn't have to be qualified with "cautious"?

hbi2k wrote:
Stele wrote:

Must have missed this thread. Wife and I finally binged it all in July while we had a month of D+ for Hamilton.

Similar story here.

With Season 2 on the horizon, how nice is it to be looking forward to new Star Wars with an optimism that doesn't have to be qualified with "cautious"?

Had 3 seasons of Rebels after the first awesome one.

But yeah that's the exception not the rule the last 20 years

Finally! The

Spoiler:

Bantha tooth-brushing

scene we've been waiting for all these years.

Also some other cool stuff happened.

edit: spoiler tag

Oh my God! Spoilers! I wanted to discover that tooth brushing scene for myself and now you've ruined it! I can never experience that as intended ever! Rawr! Grr! Hulk smash!

Hulk does what now?

Brushes a Bantha's teeth. Pay attention!

IT'S THE BIGGEST CROSSOVER EVENT OF AUTUMN!

I have to admit, they did a great job handling

Spoiler:

Boba Fett

Enjoyable, even if it was a tad predictable. I guess no one on Tatooine watched "The Doomsday Machine" growing up.

Edit:

Spoiler:

Thought it was a nice little touch to have Boba's paintjob peeling off to reveal Jango's original colors.

Nevin73 wrote:

I have to admit, they did a great job handling

Spoiler:

Boba Fett

Spoiler:

Was that the actor cast to play him?

WizKid wrote:
Nevin73 wrote:

I have to admit, they did a great job handling

Spoiler:

Boba Fett

Spoiler:

Was that the actor cast to play him?

Spoiler:

Temuera Morrison played Jango Fett and the clones in the prequel trilogy and voiced Boba in the revised version of Empire Strikes Back that first came out in the old DVD set.

That was pretty good wasn't it? I'm surprised they are going "all in" on the

Spoiler:

Boba Fett post Sarlacc angle

, but then again I guess it just wouldn't work if they didn't.

Rat Boy wrote:
WizKid wrote:
Nevin73 wrote:

I have to admit, they did a great job handling

Spoiler:

Boba Fett

Spoiler:

Was that the actor cast to play him?

Spoiler:

Temuera Morrison played Jango Fett and the clones in the prequel trilogy and voiced Boba in the revised version of Empire Strikes Back that first came out in the old DVD set.

Spoiler:

And since Boba is a clone of Jango, there you go.

I really dug it. They handled the back story perfectly.

Spoiler:

They addressed the elephant in the room: It's officially canon now. Boba Fett lives.

Personally, I hope Boba Fett isn't a part of this show going forward. I don't feel like Djinn's journey intersects with Boba's and now the creators are free to do something entirely new with Boba Fett elsewhere if they want.

PaladinTom wrote:

I really dug it. They handled the back story perfectly.

Spoiler:

They addressed the elephant in the room: It's officially canon now. Boba Fett lives.

Personally, I hope Boba Fett isn't a part of this show going forward. I don't feel like Djinn's journey intersects with Boba's and now the creators are free to do something entirely new with Boba Fett elsewhere if they want.

Spoiler:

Though Boba might be able to provide Djinn some answers that he needs.